The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

52 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Mims has too many question marks to spend a first round pick on, IMO. He’s only started nine games in his college career for one and is also coming off tightrope surgery for an ankle injury. Pass. 

For Mims, the pre-draft testing period will be huge. As you note, not much tape to go on. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, stan said:

I agree with this.Zac likes to throw the ball too much.You need a more balanced offense.

I'm not so sure it's on Taylor.  This offense has been pass-wacky for a very long time, even in years where the run game was outstanding.  Have to assume it's coming from the top.

45 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

So is Denzel Burke..😊

OSU with 2 of the top 5 receivers

In this upcoming class plus 5 star

QB Air Noland.

RB Trayveon Henderson back too.

Yeah, it looks like OSU is getting most players back. That helped Meatchicken enormously in 2023, maybe it will work for OSU in 2024.

• Upvote 1

Really think the trenches is where the focus needs to and will be in the draft. 

Jonah likely gone, isht for depth… Hill, Smith and Carman didn’t play a snap. Granted, OL was insanely healthy… but Cody Ford is your number one off the bench? Ugh. After Carman seemed to play well in the playoffs, he’s out of the picture completely? Maybe he’s the leader in  the clubhouse at RT, not sure. 

DT is an isht show. BJ Hill is the only guy under contract who can play. 

At TE, assuming Hudson, Sample and Wilcox all re-sign, that’s it. Too bad Hudson can’t block bc he’s a very good receiver and he’s earned the QBs’ trust. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2023 at 3:08 PM, sparky151 said:

We'll probably have a top 15, maybe top 10 pick now. We should tag Tee and try to re-sign him. We should try to re-sign Reader and think we could do so but not sure the team will pay him. His market value is probably around what he's making now. Boyd and Awuzie will be gone and probably Jonah too. 

So I'd be looking for a RT, TE, and WR to start. 

PDJ had an interesting thought about slot. Charlie Jones was taken as heir apparent but didn’t do enough this year. I think k he needs to get bigger and stronger and it sounds like he has a lot to learn about playing slot, since he was really more of an outside WR in college. 

Deb we suggested that it’s a really strong WR class but also that there will be FA vets who will be willing to take a 1-year deal to play with Joe, and bet on themselves and get another contract… like Hurst and CJ did. 

I like the idea of getting a vet to compete that that spot. Still have high hopes for Charlie and Andre and really like Irwin, too. Hate the guy but JuJu (not sure of contract) would be intriguing. He gets open and Mahomes missed not having him this past year. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah - I’m glad PDJ brought that to light a little bit. This team cannot afford to rely on him being the guy next year. I really expect another day 2 pick to be made at receiver with a free agent tight end to supplement. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, texbengal said:

PDJ had an interesting thought about slot. Charlie Jones was taken as heir apparent but didn’t do enough this year. I think k he needs to get bigger and stronger and it sounds like he has a lot to learn about playing slot, since he was really more of an outside WR in college. 

Deb we suggested that it’s a really strong WR class but also that there will be FA vets who will be willing to take a 1-year deal to play with Joe, and bet on themselves and get another contract… like Hurst and CJ did. 

I like the idea of getting a vet to compete that that spot. Still have high hopes for Charlie and Andre and really like Irwin, too. Hate the guy but JuJu (not sure of contract) would be intriguing. He gets open and Mahomes missed not having him this past year. 

I think it depends on what we do with Tee. If we sign him long term I'm cool signing a 1 year Vet and waiting till next year to get a slot WR in the draft. I'm not cool with having to draft 2 WRs high to replace both Tyler and Tee in the same year. As we will also be replacing Mixon next year (25) too.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, spicoli said:

Mims has too many question marks to spend a first round pick on, IMO. He’s only started nine games in his college career for one and is also coming off tightrope surgery for an ankle injury. Pass. 

If we had a coach that we felt good about developing guys I would not be scared of Mims at all. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

So is Denzel Burke..😊

OSU with 2 of the top 5 receivers

In this upcoming class plus 5 star

QB Air Noland.

RB Trayveon Henderson back too.

No way Air Noland is starting over Will Howard next year. He’ll either sit a year and wait his turn or he’ll sit a year and transfer. Either way, it’s Will Howard’s team in 2024. 

Henderson and Judkins might be the best RB tandem in the country next year. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If we had a coach that we felt good about developing guys I would not be scared of Mims at all. 

That’s a big ask regardless of who the coach is.

Personally, I have a hard time believing he’ll be a first round pick when it’s all said and done. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

No way Air Noland is starting over Will Howard next year. He’ll either sit a year and wait his turn or he’ll sit a year and transfer. Either way, it’s Will Howard’s team in 2024. 

Henderson and Judkins might be the best RB tandem in the country next year. 

Agree..

Their loading up.

I like Howard ..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

That’s a big ask regardless of who the coach is.

Personally, I have a hard time believing he’ll be a first round pick when it’s all said and done. 

Raw....9 games..

If we had time to develope him maybe...

Have to find a player to step in and hopefully be an asset.

Fuaga...😎

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Given that & the bum ankle he sounds like a lock :D

The best draft pick in Bengals history was Anthony Munoz and he was coming off knee surgery when we drafted him BUT I do not trust the current brain trust to draft a OL who hasn't played a lot of football I'll take the guy who has played a lot 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

The best draft pick in Bengals history was Anthony Munoz and he was coming off knee surgery when we drafted him BUT I do not trust the current brain trust to draft a OL who hasn't played a lot of football I'll take the guy who has played a lot 

Sad to say but the less scouting or coaching are required for the next OT the better