The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, JC said:

Brugler already banging the drum on Murphy

I think Byron Murphy has the most upside of any DL in the draft, tbh. He's a human bowling ball of muscle, reminds me of a little bigger Aaron Donald.

I would even love to get his teammate T'Vondre Sweat as well (360 lb mammoth NT), and have them lock down the interior for the next decade.

I would be fine with DT back to back in rds 1 and 2 if we can fix RT in free agency. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JC said:

Brugler already banging the drum on Murphy over Newton for those interested in adding a game wrecking interior defensive lineman. Gun to my head - I think that will be the position they end up picking.

Brugler has said Newton will get unfairly knocked druing the pre-draft process for height and arm length etc. BUT he is a serious disruptor

• Upvote 1

I've seen Cooper DeJean play several times... he really flashes as an athlete. He's definitely versatile, too.

I know the jury is out on Dax Hill as a center fielder, but Dax could play CB or definitely nickel too if they had a guy like DeJean who could play S or CB. I thought I'd read that he tore his ACL late in the year but I think it was a broken leg instead. 

Love the idea of Newton or Murphy in round one but they could do worse than getting this guy. BTW re: under-sized DTs, I know Kancey got downgraded by some folks because of that, but he's playing quite well for TB's defense now. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, spicoli said:

I was a Jake Fisher fan. Thought it was a home run pick. Unfortunately I underestimated the effects of what playing in a spread offense does to o-linemen. 

I know I sound like a broken record…but…it’s not just the Bengals that are struggling to draft good OL, the entire league is being affected. 

The advent of the spread in college has completely decimated NFL OL rooms.

Agree...

The idea that all  drafted will struggle immensely isn't reality

Depends on player coaching a scheme.

Very hard to draft a lineman that will 

showout on run and pass initially.

Bengals need road graders to establish the run..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, texbengal said:

Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

One of the freakiest athletes in the draft, Mims had an 85-inch wingspan in high school and now plays at 6-7, 340. The 21-year-old, former five-star runs like a tight end, has elite length and brings a punch that will deaden rushers cold.

However, Mims’ only starts in 2022 came in the College Football Playoff, and he was limited to six starts in 2023 by an early-season ankle injury. Technique-wise, he has a long way to go. Traits-wise, he’s a mutant.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, OC, Oregon

A 20-year-old Rimington winner, Powers-Johnson was an incredibly consistent anchor for Oregon’s offense, both in protection and as a run blocker. PFF credited him with just one pressure allowed last season, his lone year as a full-time starter.

Powers-Johnson plays with terrific agility and general movement skills as a heavy-handed center who carries his power on the move. He’s great as a puller and in the screen game, and in general, he’s just ahead of where most centers are at his age. He’s light on experience, but his run with the Ducks was fantastic.

Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU

Another freaky prospect, Suamataia (a prep teammate of Puka Nacua’s) is a 6-6, 325-pound tackle who like Mims can resemble a big tight end in space. People at BYU think he has a shot to run in the 4.8s and, per Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List, he’s been clocked at 21.5 mph on the GPS.

****** OK... My eaqrlky decision, subject to change.

I really like Mims. I like the description "freaky" when applied to players.

The other two guys possible Round Two (?).if they fail and/or we trade up a bit to grab one?

Esp like the sounds of the young Center although I am hinky about interior O linemen named Jackson.

Jaxon, yes, Jackson no.  Would anchor the center of the line for a decade and allow Karris to replace Cappa.

Suamataia called "freaky"... that word again.  How low will he go?

• Upvote 1

New mock draft shows Bengals could get stuck in run on OL

January 19, 2024 7:00 pm 

The Cincinnati Bengals could be on the hunt for first-round offensive line help in the 2024 NFL draft.

That’s a common thought that has shown up a lot in mock drafts already. A new one, though, shows the Bengals could have some problems getting the guy they prefer in the offensive trenches.

In a new mock from NFL Media’s Daniel Jeremiah, starting at pick No. 7, a stunning nine offensive linemen come off the board through the 25th pick.

For what it’s worth, the Bengals go with Alabama’s JC Latham at No. 18:

The Bengals have to address the offensive line. Some evaluators have Latham as a lock to go in the top 10. If he’s still available at No. 18, it’ll be a desirable scenario for Cincinnati. He can slide in at right tackle.

Point is, the Bengals might want to be more open to the idea of moving around in the draft than in the past if they really prefer one guy over the other — because this feels like the first time in a long time that there could be a massive push at the spot in the opening round.

Or, in order to prevent this problem, the team could always find a way to re-up with Jonah Williams after his mini-breakout at right tackle this year, removing the need for a first-round tackle completely.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/19/bengals-new-mock-draft-jc-latham/?itm_source=parsely-api

• Upvote 1

Mock Draft Monday

JC Latham Head Shot
PICK: 18 RND: 1 (CIN)
JC LATHAM
OT Alabama

T'Vondre Sweat Head Shot
PICK: 49 RND: 2 (CIN)
T'Vondre SWEAT
DL Texas

Devontez Walker Head Shot
PICK: 80 RND: 3 (CIN)
Devontez WALKER
WR North Carolina

Jaden Hicks Head Shot
PICK: 115 RND: 4 (CIN)
Jaden HICKS
S Washington State

Isaiah Adams Head Shot
PICK: 151 RND: 5 (CIN)
Isaiah ADAMS
OT Illinois

Curtis Jacobs Head Shot
PICK: 173 RND: 5 (CIN)
Curtis JACOBS
LB Penn State

Miyan Williams Head Shot
PICK: 196 RND: 6 (CIN)
Miyan WILLIAMS
RB Ohio State

<no image>

PICK: 238 RND: 7 (CIN)
Tanner MCLACHLAN
TE Arizona

Evan Anderson Head Shot
PICK: 254 RND: 7 (CIN)
Evan ANDERSON
DL Florida Atlantic
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ My issue with Latham, is on the play that ended Alabama's season in OT, he got put on roller skates and driven backwards. (See RT)

The guys that were available were Lathem and Mimms. 

I'm leaning towards Mimms, but I can see the Bengals taking Lathem because he has more tape to show.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

^ My issue with Latham, is on the play that ended Alabama's season in OT, he got put on roller skates and driven backwards. (See RT)

That is 1 play - have to judge him on more than that. It would be like drafting the guy who beat him in the top 10 based on the same play. You have to look at his whole game tape and what he does at workouts, etc. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

God I hope not.

So you want them to take a guy based solely on need even though there will be other guys sitting there that are sure to be graded higher? Sounds like a good way to end up with a bust to me 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

So you want them to take a guy based solely on need even though there will be other guys sitting there that are sure to be graded higher? Sounds like a good way to end up with a bust to me 🤷‍♂️

I'm not convinced that where we pick that either of those guys aren't in a similar bucket as other guys that may be there.

I mean Mims has started a grand total of 9 games in his college career and Latham has been about as inconsistent as you can possibly be in his. I have a really hard time believing those guys end up first round picks no matter what all of these mock draft simulations are saying. 

33 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I mean Mims has started a grand total of 9 games in his college career and Latham has been about as inconsistent as you can possibly be in his. I have a really hard time believing those guys end up first round picks no matter what all of these mock draft simulations are saying. 

I guess were gonna find out

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/1/22/24040617/nfl-draft-2024-bengals-take-advantage-strong-offensive-tackle-class

Despite investing millions of dollars into the offensive line with free agents like Orlando Brown Jr., Alex Cappa, and Ted Karras, the Bengals have struggled at protecting Joe Burrow and Jake Browning. No shit and the emperor has no clothesWhile they played better down the stretch, Burrow was already gone for the season, and it didn’t really matter anymore.

So could the Bengals possibly land Joe Alt? Or could they be looking at Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Taliese Fuaga, JC Latham, or Amarius Mims when they go on the clock with the No. 18 overall pick?

Or could they pass on an offensive tackle in the first round? We shall see.

• Upvote 1

https://themessenger.com/sports/2024-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-wr-class-ranking-scouting-reports

nice write up on potential receivers. Not sure if they will go after a Tee replacement - X or Tyler replacement Z. The guys who stand out are Brian Thomas Jr. (Think more souped up Tee) and Adonai Mitchell or Isaiah Williams (looks like a smaller Tyler).

I think it will be a day two pick unless Odunze slips or if they fall in love with Thomas Jr. Just thinking about how they like to get Jamarr in the Z spot, I would imagine they wouldn’t want a piece that would lock him into the boundary - so likely not only a guy who can play Z.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JC said:

https://themessenger.com/sports/2024-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-wr-class-ranking-scouting-reports

nice write up on potential receivers. Not sure if they will go after a Tee replacement - X or Tyler replacement Z. The guys who stand out are Brian Thomas Jr. (Think more souped up Tee) and Adonai Mitchell or Isaiah Williams (looks like a smaller Tyler).

I think it will be a day two pick unless Odunze slips or if they fall in love with Thomas Jr. Just thinking about how they like to get Jamarr in the Z spot, I would imagine they wouldn’t want a piece that would lock him into the boundary - so likely not only a guy who can play Z.

I don't even want to think about a wide receiver esp high this draft.

Next year (yeah, too soon) go for one REAL early.