Cleveland Football Team Week (Part 2)

8 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I play soccer in that weather…

…but next week I’ll be playing in the Florida Classic Soccer Tournament in much better weather. 😎

Now we're talking. Watching footy in the UK over this past weekend. People were in arctic gear, while the players were running about in the short sleeves. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Now we're talking. Watching footy in the UK over this past weekend. People were in arctic gear, while the players were running about in the short sleeves. 

Go Chelsea!

I'm a Swansea fan but like Chelsea due to their closeness in London to my family there ( big Chelsea fans)..

Liverpool is one helluva team this year.

Here comes Man City soon .

38 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

They are 5 points back. They historically (since the big oil purchase of the team) do have a big run in February/March. They have a number of hurts to their really big guns (DeBruyne/Haaland) so that has slowed them down...plus they have inexplicably been so-so against bottom of table sides--whereas before they simply steamrollered them. 

Chelsea bobbing around 10th. They have had a so-so season to date. Decent play, but with recent periods of blank stares. They had a 0-3 lead at Luton (lower table team) at the 80 minute mark. Proceeded to give up two goals in 7 minutes and just barely missed the equalizer in stoppage time when a Luton shot just nicked off the goalpost.  

Swansea currently 16th in Championship with 32 points. 8 points to the playoffs, but logjammed with a half dozen other teams at or near that total. They will need a great second half to get anywhere, but they are good enough to avoid any relegation possibilities. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

They are 5 points back. They historically (since the big oil purchase of the team) do have a big run in February/March. They have a number of hurts to their really big guns (DeBruyne/Haaland) so that has slowed them down...plus they have inexplicably been so-so against bottom of table sides--whereas before they simply steamrollered them. 

Chelsea bobbing around 10th. They have had a so-so season to date. Decent play, but with recent periods of blank stares. They had a 0-3 lead at Luton (lower table team) at the 80 minute mark. Proceeded to give up two goals in 7 minutes and just barely missed the equalizer in stoppage time when a Luton shot just nicked off the goalpost.  

Swansea currently 16th in Championship with 32 points. 8 points to the playoffs, but logjammed with a half dozen other teams at or near that total. They will need a great second half to get anywhere, but they are good enough to avoid any relegation possibilities. 

Tks for sharing ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Yes, when you’re running around it warms you up…a lot.  We’ll have a couple of scrimmages this Sunday morning in the cold, and some of us will play indoors Monday night.

Then mid-week, we’ll send five teams to Florida to play in the over-50, over-55, over-60, over-65, and (for the first time) over-70 age groups.  My over-70 team has players from Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Xenia, Toledo, and Chattanooga.  

• Like 2

By Josh Alper

Published January 3, 2024 01:16 PM

The Browns will start their fifth quarterback of the season in Sunday’s season finale against the Bengals.

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said at a Wednesday press conference that Jeff Driskel will get the start at quarterback. P.J. Walker will serve as his backup as the Browns will rest Joe Flacco ahead of the opening round of the playoffs.

Driskel signed off of the Cardinals’ practice squad last week when Dorian Thompson-Robinson was placed on injured reserve. He has made 11 other starts over the course of his NFL career.

Stefanski said that the team won’t be able to rest all of their regulars for the Bengals game, but did not specify other players who are going to get the day off.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/cincinnati-bengals

1 hour ago, Arkansas Bengal said:
By Josh Alper

Published January 3, 2024 01:16 PM

The Browns will start their fifth quarterback of the season in Sunday’s season finale against the Bengals.

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said at a Wednesday press conference that Jeff Driskel will get the start at quarterback. P.J. Walker will serve as his backup as the Browns will rest Joe Flacco ahead of the opening round of the playoffs.

Driskel signed off of the Cardinals’ practice squad last week when Dorian Thompson-Robinson was placed on injured reserve. He has made 11 other starts over the course of his NFL career.

Stefanski said that the team won’t be able to rest all of their regulars for the Bengals game, but did not specify other players who are going to get the day off.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/cincinnati-bengals

We should know something about him, seeing as he used to be a Bengal. 

Here’s something of interest to make this game less “meaningless”:

There have been NFL divisions where each team has finished at .500 or better. 

There has never been an NFL division where each team has been OVER .500 or better. 

A Bengals win on Sunday will make that history. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Here’s something of interest to make this game less “meaningless”:

There have been NFL divisions where each team has finished at .500 or better. 

There has never been an NFL division where each team has been OVER .500 or better. 

A Bengals win on Sunday will make that history. 

Amazing feat for an entire division.

Hopefully the team can pull it off.

Looking for Chase to get 100 catches.

Trey to get 18 sacks .

Jake to go out strong..

• Like 1

Ja’Marr Chase confirms he will play this week

Published January 4, 2024 03:50 PM

Bengals receiver Ja’Marr Chase confirms he will play Sunday, Jeremy Rauch of Fox19 reports.

He has a shoulder injury that kept him out Week 16 but returned to play 54 snaps Sunday.

Chase said he is better than last Sunday but estimated he’s only “73 percent.”

Why play? "I want to show the guys I put my body on the line for those guys. I love football. You never know when it is really going to be your last game."

The Pro Bowler had a limited practice Wednesday and likely the same Thursday, though the Bengals have not released their report yet.

Chase has a career-best 96 receptions for 1,197 yards and seven touchdowns, with hopes of catching 100 passes this season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jamarr-chase-confirms-he-will-play-this-week

• Upvote 1

Browns will still have to play some starters in Week 18 — looking at how the depth chart might shake out

We can’t bubble wrap everyone.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/platform/amp/2024/1/4/24024878/browns-will-still-have-to-play-some-starters-in-week-18-looking-how-the-depth-chart-might-shake-out

While being broken-hearted for all of their problems, it does bring to attention that they can’t “rest” everyone anymore than the Bengals can. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2024 at 1:43 PM, claptonrocks said:

Go Chelsea!

I'm a Swansea fan but like Chelsea due to their closeness in London to my family there ( big Chelsea fans)..

Liverpool is one helluva team this year.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

As an aside, Stevie G should get congratulations for his laying an amazing foundation top to bottom (coaching-wise) in Aston Villa’s rise in the Premier League. He was sacked before experiencing the fruits of his labors, but it’s all him. 

Wish he was still around the PL, but he decided to cash in on the Saudi mega-zillions oil League, along with many others 

image.jpeg.25bf0aabc25ab735a54be21ed2fc023b.jpeg

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

As an aside, Stevie G should get congratulations for his laying an amazing foundation top to bottom (coaching-wise) in Aston Villa’s rise in the Premier League. He was sacked before experiencing the fruits of his labors, but it’s all him. 

Wish he was still around the PL, but he decided to cash in on the Saudi mega-zillions oil League, along with many others 

image.jpeg.25bf0aabc25ab735a54be21ed2fc023b.jpeg

It’s hard to say no to the insane amount of money being thrown around. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Ah, those bring back cracking memories of Villa, eh chap?  I remember back in the FA Cup Finals of ought-three that 'Pool had an equalizer denied over a tetchy call when Jurgen was clearly in an overlap with the last Villa defender - I'm certain the Linesman had a quid or two on the outcome of that match, as it was BOLLOCKS to make that call otherwise.

Bubble and Squeak!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

It’s hard to say no to the insane amount of money being thrown around. 

Between the oil sheiks buying teams in the PL...and now setting up their own league...it's going to be a ruination of proper football!  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Ah, those bring back cracking memories of Villa, eh chap?  I remember back in the FA Cup Finals of ought-three that 'Pool had an equalizer denied over a tetchy call when Jurgen was clearly in an overlap with the last Villa defender - I'm certain the Linesman had a quid or two on the outcome of that match, as it was BOLLOCKS to make that call otherwise.

Bubble and Squeak!

If you are going to call out my Manager, at least get the language correct:

Er war der grossartigste spieler der Bundesliga. Er brauch zusammen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GMkfXb5QbA

But, to your point, the referee did have something going on with Bet365.

Anyhoo, back to the meaningless game Sunday. Posted this before, but it's sort of in official print now:

AFC North will become first NFL division in 88 years to pull off this feat if Bengals beat Browns in Week 18

History is on the line this weekend

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/afc-north-will-become-first-nfl-division-in-88-years-to-pull-off-this-feat-if-bengals-beat-browns-in-week-18/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

Stefanski announced the following players will join Flacco on the sideline this weekend:

• DE Myles Garrett (who was “sore” on Friday)
  • CB Greg Newsome II
  • S Juan Thornhill
  • LB Anthony Walker Jr.
  • WR Amari Cooper
  • CB Mike Ford
  • K Dustin Hopkins

I don't see how the browns defense is so good it has to be because of Schwartz obviously Myles Garrett and Denzel ward were drafted high and newsome guess they made some decent free agent acquisitions 

4 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

I don't see how the browns defense is so good it has to be because of Schwartz obviously Myles Garrett and Denzel ward were drafted high and newsome guess they made some decent free agent acquisitions 

The ex-Notre Dame LB Owusu Karamoah was undersized but he’s a baller. i think he was drafted in the 3rd round, maybe? And Emerson is a really good CB, too. Grant Delpit struggled early between poor play and injury but he’s really come on also. So they’ve drafted well, beyond the  “premium” picks you cited. And up front, getting two good FAs  in Dalvin Tomlinson and Za’Darius Smith was big also. 

• Upvote 1