Week 18 - Clowns Gameday Thread

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

I can’t fathom the Bears sticking with Fields.  He is what 10-28?   200 yards a game passing?   He just isn’t that good.   They would be better off with Browning. 

I think they stay with Fields.

Drafting  Harrison would be huge to team with DJ Moore

Then they sign Boyd to a contract to give Fields alot of weapons.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Why would the Bengals let him go when so many starters go down at any time.

He's a valuable backup if needed.

Because they desperately need players whose main job is making sure he never sees the field. A starting RT or DT is worth more than a 2nd string QB.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Unless they get a high draft pick for him he's not going anywhere

Could be right.  They can technically tender him for league minimum for a year and Browning can’t do anything about it.   

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Because they desperately need players whose main job is making sure he never sees the field. A starting RT or DT is worth more than a 2nd string QB.

There were 66 QBs this year.

Falling chess pieces.

Need to keep a good one

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

There were 66 QBs this year.

Falling chess pieces.

Need to keep a good one

Yeah IDK.  We've seen the ceiling with him at QB & ideally he'd never take another meaningful snap here.  I'd rather have a good starting RT.

I am pretty sure Jake Browning doesn't have a market as a starting QB in the NFL. 

He is an exclusive rights free agent the next two years and then restricted. He;s not getting more than a million in next year or the year after. 

The only think he could really do is hold out for a trade, I guess. I don't see that happening at all. 

Here is the QB situation for teams in the offseason Green has a starter

QB Allen, Josh 18/1
QB Tagovailoa, Tua 20/1
QB 3rd overall Pick-Pats
QB RODGERS, AARON T/GB
QB Jackson, Lamar 18/1
QB Burrow, Joe
QB Watson, Deshaun
QB Stealers-We wouldn't trade
QB Stroud, C.J. 23/1
QB Richardson, Athony
QB Lawrence, Trevor 21/1
QB Levis, Will 23/2
QB Broncos
QB Mahomes, Patrick 17/1
QB Raiders
QB Herbert, Justin
QB PRESCOTT, DAK 16/4
QB Commanders
QB Hurts, Jalen 20/2
QB 2nd overall Pick
QB 1st overall Pick
QB Goff, Jared T/LAR
QB Love, Jordan 20/1
QB Vikings
QB Falcons
QB Young, Bryce 23/1
QB CARR, DEREK CC/LV
QB Mayfield, Baker U/LAR
QB Murray, Kyler 19/1
QB STAFFORD, MATTHEW T/Det
QB Purdy, Brock 22/7
QB SMITH, GENO U/LAC

So that leaves QB needy teams of

Patriots, Falcons, Vikings, Raiders, Commanders, Stealers, Bears, Giants, Broncos

Patriots have 3rd pick and are probably doing a re-start. Won't be trading for Browning

Falcons are probably going after one of 3 available people Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins and trading for Fields. They pick 8th. Won't be trading for Browning. Not sure he is better than Ridder

Vikings probably get Cousins back and pick 11th

Raiders rookie this year played well Aidan O'Connell. They won't go after Browning but could get another QB

Commanders benched their starter and are firing Rivera. They pick 2nd that's a restart waiting to happen

Stealers we wouldn't trade with and they somewhat still believe in Picket

Bears will have Fields or Caleb Williams

Giants probably stick with Daniel Jones. Probably have to. 

Broncos move on from Wilson

So probs

Bears-Williams

Commanders-Maye

Vikings-Cousins

Giants-Daniel Jones

Stealers-Kenny Pickett

Raiders-Aidan O'Connell

Falcons-Justin Fields-Trade He is from Atlanta but Russell Wilson makes a lot of sense too. 

Patriots-?

Broncos-?

Patriots and Broncos biggest question marks most likely. One of Wilson or Fields will be available to them. 

Other free agents are 

Sam Darnold (Just 27)

Gardner MinshewI (28)

Tyler Huntley (26)

Tough to imagine that a team trades for Browning over getting any one of them for free. He is restricted to only signing with us for 2024 (28) and 2025 (29) and then restricted for 2026 (30). That might be enticing for a team. You essentially get a very very cheap rookie contract. 

The reality is we want our backup QB to want to be a starter.  

He's probably a top 10 backup QB in the NFL who could start. He will likely be Burrow's backup for at least next year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

He's probably a top 10 backup QB in the NFL who could start. He will likely be Burrow's backup for at least next year. 

That's another factor; unless Burrow gets hurt again next year Browning's value is only going to go down from here.

Excuse the interference into one of the many unrelated draft threads, but yesterday was curious for several reasons: 

The stadium was not only well-attended, but the number of CFT supporters was not neatly as large as expected.

The Bengal fan contingent was much larger, but noticeably more what I call “semi annual” or “first time” attendees. 

Possible explanations (besides the obvious game importance):

CFT supporters were a mix of North Coasters who bought tickets before the season and just really wanted to travel the 250 miles one-way. Or they were local and just felt like coming out to wear their gear and bark in windy 31 degree conditions. ( I ran across several of these types coming in to the stadium. 

The Novice Bengal Fan attendees (a lot more easy to detect in our season ticket-dominated section) were:

post-college age rowdies (including 3 girls next to us)…more interested in downing overpriced Miller Lights and taking selfies than what was happening on the field—which was OK it’s their day out in said windy 31 degree conditions. 

The expected “I got my brother-in-law’s tickets…hey where’s Joe Burrow” variety. 

The touching Dad-taking-young-son-to-his-first-game attendees. No jokes here: that really was more than cool. 

Finally, and despite the weather/game importance, the “Game Dey Experience” went on unabated. Constant noise, techno-pop/rap “background”, the always welcomed “fan cams”, and the equally welcomed “get loud” urgings. 

Another plus to the day, was that everyone left early. The usual press going out towards the Banks was non-existent, and leaving the parking garage/getting on the freeway was smooth. This was offset by a 1 hour delay on I-71 halfway to Columbus due to an accident, but overall not bad. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Another plus to the day, was that everyone left early. The usual press going out towards the Banks was non-existent, and leaving the parking garage/getting on the freeway was smooth. This was offset by a 1 hour delay on I-71 halfway to Columbus due to an accident, but overall not bad. 

Someone hit a bridge

4 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Someone hit a bridge

Was wondering what happened. It was about 2 miles before the SR 73 exit near Wilmington. It had been mostly cleared by the time we had inched towards it, so didn’t know the cause. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Was wondering what happened. It was about 2 miles before the SR 73 exit near Wilmington. It had been mostly cleared by the time we had inched towards it, so didn’t know the cause. 

Thats something different. Someone hit the 71/70 Bridge in downtown Columbus. I had assumed that it might back all the way up with traffic. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Thats something different. Someone hit the 71/70 Bridge in downtown Columbus. I had assumed that it might back all the way up with traffic. 

I did see signs warning of a closure of 315 downtown. Didn’t know of this however. I took 270 anyway. 

The HOU defense isn’t chopped liver either.

The CFT offensive line is half beat to death, and their supposed backups yesterday were gasping for breath by the time the day ended—as there were not many replacements. I saw several regulars along the line come in and out fairly often. 

It may not be a huge loss for them, but WR Cedric Tillman was concussed yesterday, and may not be available on Saturday. 

23 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Someone hit a bridge

Bridges are some of the easiest things NOT to hit.  They're designed to not be hit, and as they don't move they're really predictable.

Bear left, the bridge moves to the right.  Bear right, the bridge moves to the left.  Accelerate, the bridge moves toward you quicker.  If the bridge is approaching too fast, slow down to slow IT down.  And if you're worried it might hit you, stop.... it will stop.  It moves at a constant speed of ZERO.  All you gotta do to not hit it is to Not. Hit. It.

Unless you're drunk, then better you hit that bridge than me in my car.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Houston could have to beat all 3 AFCN contenders to get to the SB....😎

That's not possible

The 4 seed cannot play either 1-BAL or 7-PIT in the Divisional Round.  If both of those teams are playing in that round, they're playing each other.

• Upvote 1