Random 2024 Bengals related stuff

14 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

They took some serious injury hits this spring. One hopes they can backfill some stop-gaps until healthy. 

They assembled a team with alot of versatility for depth

They'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

In addition to Marte getting suspended.

As far as injury I know McClain is, but who else did I miss?

TJ Friedl broke his wrist. Edwin Arroyo had a season ending shoulder injury, but he was being optioned out anyway. Nick Lodolo  will begin the season on the 15-day DL and Brandon Williamson has shoulder problems 

• Upvote 1

Banning the hip drop tackle benefits teams that have big RBs, who now will be very hard to bring down from behind. 

Some team is going to put an athletic 320 lb DT at RB and take advantage of this rule. Give me T'Vondre Sweat running up the middle! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

Banning the hip drop tackle benefits teams that have big RBs, who now will be very hard to bring down from behind. 

Some team is going to put an athletic 320 lb DT at RB and take advantage of this rule. Give me T'Vondre Sweat running up the middle! 

Time to convert Trent Brown to fullback!!

• Like 1

I suppose this rule will be as inconsistently called/non-called as the other erstwhile player safety rules. 

The one they are putting in also—the kickoff on the fly into the endzone rule—is even more egregious towards the continued bastardization of the once great National Football League. 

They were automatically putting the ball at the 25. Now, they are moving it to the 30 (thankfully changing their minds on putting it at the 35). The league wanted KO returns, then they didn’t want KO returns. But they do want more scoring. 5 extra yards doesn’t sound like much…but consider that, without having to do anymore than watch the ball sail out of the endzone, offenses get a 70-yard field. At a minimum, they have 30 yards in which to get into reasonable FG range. 

But, the NFL doesn’t want FG’s either, so will stay tuned for the next rule change granting offenses half the field.

The main effect of the new kickoff rule is that nobody moves until the ball touches a player or the ground. If the return team can sustain a block for a couple of seconds, there's a good chance of big returns. A slippery kickoff returner like Cordarelle Patterson or Kadarius Toney will be more valuable. 

• Upvote 1

Was anyone really impressed with OB Jr last year? For all the yap he seemed pretty average to me. I guess the party line is to blame Volson but I'm not convinced.

Maybe its those "wide zone concepts" that seem to mean shuffling your feet while looking confused & not actually blocking anyone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The main effect of the new kickoff rule is that nobody moves until the ball touches a player or the ground. If the return team can sustain a block for a couple of seconds, there's a good chance of big returns. A slippery kickoff returner like Cordarelle Patterson or Kadarius Toney will be more valuable. 

This is more oddball than trying to sink a putt through the windmill at putt-putt. 

“”Landing zones”? “Set up zones”? 

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/nfl-kickoff-rule-proposal/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Full picture

20240326_091923.jpg

So let me get this clearer: the kicking team can’t cross the DMZ—or even move—until the ball hits the ground or person in the No-Fly Zone. Can the return team move during this time? 

Figure anything in play will get at least to the 35-40. If I’m a ST coordinator, I just continue to bury the ball out of the endzone as they have been doing. 

2 hours ago, Griever said:

Full picture

20240326_091923.jpg

How many Super Soakers does the receiving team get to use?  

I do like the new rule that you can have your practice squad QB suit up on Gameday but it will be interesting to see how that works from a pay and vesting perspective. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Griever said:

I don't think anybody can move besides the kicker and a maximum of two returners...NFL operations posted a decent video explanation on X, I'm more of a visual guy myself

That is a nice illustration. The “no fair catch” is a bit disingenuous for “player safety”, as in the unlikely event a kick goes deep enough, and the coverage team flies like Flash down the field after release from the DMZ, the returner could still be blown up if he catches it. 

Looks like the kicking  teams are going to have to decide whether to gamble on shorter kicks and risk getting the ball on the 40, or gamble they can blast the ball out of the endzone and keep it to the 30. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Was anyone really impressed with OB Jr last year? For all the yap he seemed pretty average to me. I guess the party line is to blame Volson but I'm not convinced.

Maybe its those "wide zone concepts" that seem to mean shuffling your feet while looking confused & not actually blocking anyone.

He didn't make the probowl because he wasn't blocking for Kermit. But he was still better than Jonah from the prior year. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He was OK... not great. I actually thought Volson, after a bad start, picked up his game considerably in the latter half. Both guys need to play better, but yeah, Brown wasn't any great shakes. Certainly not to the level where he was hyped to be.

He was about average. Not a liability, but not an elite player, either. At his best, I think he's very solid/above average... maybe top 12-15-ish in the league at LT. 

• Upvote 2