A few questions about Becton and Pollack, since that seems to be the connection and the way the Bengals are going to address RT.

1. What player can the Bengals objectively say Frank Pollack has coached up and improved their level of play?

2. What coach doesn't think he can't coach up a player with physical talent, that's a coach's job and their ego makes them believe they can get it done. 

3. The Jets offensive line has been awful, why would we take a castoff from a bad offensive line and put him on our offensive line and realistically think he's going to improve the quality of play? 

Becton will probably sign, but hopefully he's nothing more than a backup to the rookie RT that comes in and starts all 17 games next season. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

A few questions about Becton and Pollack, since that seems to be the connection and the way the Bengals are going to address RT.

1. What player can the Bengals objectively say Frank Pollack has coached up and improved their level of play?

2. What coach doesn't think he can't coach a player with physical talent, that's a coach's job and their ego makes them believe they can get it done. 

3. The Jets offensive line has been awful, why would we take a castoff from a bad offensive line and put him on our offensive line and realistically think he's going to improve the quality of play? 

Becton will probably sign, but hopefully he's nothing more than a backup to the rookie RT that comes in and starts all 17 games next season. 

Pretty much how I feel. I hope Pollacks ego isn't so big the Bengals think they can skip a 1st round RT and get one later because we signed this guy

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

…Becton will probably sign, but hopefully he's nothing more than a backup to the rookie RT that comes in and starts all 17 games next season. 

Why only 17 games???  😎

• Upvote 1

If a guy sucks on his current team, more than likely he's going to suck on this team too...At this point most players don't develop after 4 years in the league, they are who they are..Becton is a physical specimen that is highly inconsistent and should not be starting on a team that wants to win a Super Bowl, he would be a backup but not a starter. 

Becton is the classic example of guys getting multiple chances based on draft status, something that was out of his control. If Becton had been drafted in 4th or 5th round he would be out of the NFL based on his production and tape, but he keeps getting chances because he was a first-round pick and he has "potential"...the only potential he has is the potential to get Burrow killed when misses a block or the potential to get a big play called back because he was called for holding...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

If a guy sucks on his current team, more than likely he's going to suck on this team too..

No question about it. 

50 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Becton is low cost, but potentially high reward.

You have a pair of twos at the table—with $275 million (the QB) all-in on one hand. 

You want to call on that bet? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

You want to call on that bet? 

The Bengals wouldn't start Becton if he sucks in practice, camp, or pre season. It's not like if they sign him today, he's out there protecting Burrow tomorrow. 

But there's huge potential there plus a body and frame that you cannot teach. They could even try him at LG in place of Volson if necessary. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Becton is low cost, but potentially high reward. That's why you give him a very cheap 2 year deal and hope that something clicks.

It's not like they would give him a big contract. 

He's low-cost for a reason, he's not very good at playing football in the NFL...High reward comes with high risk, that's the other side of the deal...you don't get something for nothing. 

The Jets need offensive linemen, if he was worth a damn they would re-sign him, because to your point..he's low cost..but they saw how badly he practiced/played and didn't even offer a vet minimum deal.

Outside of the Bengals is any other teams showing interest in Becton? The answer is no, because he's not a good NFL football player. Could he develop into one? Maybe, but it is highly unlikely he will.

Do you want to risk Burrow's health and on the slim chance Becton does a 180 turn in his career and becomes this high-reward player? I don't. 

The Bengals have backup RT's on the roster, Smith, Carmen, Ford, etc..can all play at the same level as Becton is capable of playing, I just don't see the point of adding him to this roster. The Bengals need starting caliber players and Becton is not that. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

The Bengals have backup RT's on the roster, Smith, Carmen, Ford, etc..can all play at the same level as Becton is capable of playing. 

I would start Becton over Flounder 100% of the time. Becton has elite measurables based on basic geometry and world class power with his hands. It's his feet and angles that are the problem. But that can be learned and fixed theoretically. 

Meanwhile, Carman and the other bums (outside of Ford) have no clay to mold and shape. Their ceiling is already reached. And it stinks. So yes, I get Becton and see if he's able to be fixed. He's a rusty Porsche that needs a new engine, while the others are bicycles with flat tires. 

5 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I would start Becton over Flounder 100% of the time. Becton has elite measurables based on basic geometry and world class power with his hands. It's his feet and angles that are the problem. But that can be learned and fixed theoretically. 

Meanwhile, Carman and the other bums (outside of Ford) have no clay to mold and shape. Their ceiling is already reached. And it stinks. So yes, I get Becton and see if he's able to be fixed. He's a rusty Porsche that needs a new engine, while the others are bicycles with flat tires. 

I always thought Carmen had talent but lacks desire

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The Bengals wouldn't start Becton if he sucks in practice, camp, or pre season. It's not like if they sign him today, he's out there protecting Burrow tomorrow. 

But there's huge potential there plus a body and frame that you cannot teach. They could even try him at LG in place of Volson if necessary. 

Are you sure about that, this is the same front office that re-signed and started multiple awful offensive linemen over the past few years, including Bobby Hart because and I quote current Bengals VP and Pumpkin's boy toy..Troy Blackburn..

“For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at $17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. …”

This was 5 years ago and the same decision makers are still in place and the Bengals still haven't found a solution to the RT problem, despite multiple picks and paying Bobby Hart 17 million dollars. I don't trust this front office and coaching staff to get this right because time shown that they are not capable of doing so..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Which kind of sounds like Becton - has the measuarbles but his technique sucks. So 4 years later he has not self imporved on his technique which may lead one to believe he is not self motivated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

He has his head up his ass. Bengals should have passed on him when they heard of the rape allegations, but Mike loves to draft a hometown kid (old school charm to a fault sometimes). 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I hope they consider not waiting on the draft to fall to them and go get their guy at RT 

Is 'that guy" Trent Brown Cuz I'm not seeing that guy out there now.

I think if Bechton passes his physical they'll sign him on the  budget plan..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

Is 'that guy" Trent Brown Cuz I'm not seeing that guy out there now.

That comment was specific to the draft. I'm hoping they don't let the draft fall to them and not get a good RT

• Upvote 1