Just now, Le Tigre said:

I would take exception if one's toilet on the second floor has ruptured. 

... If cleveland browns are floating down my hallway I'm not going to a message board to repost tweets about it.  🌊 💩 

This is a discussion board, so I include my own views and those of others to spur discussion.

• Upvote 1

They just need him to be a placeholder for an early draft pick, or plan B if they whiff on that pick yet again.

If they intend to skip the OL again in the draft and point to this guy, that's a different story... But it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?

15 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

... If cleveland browns are floating down my hallway I'm not going to a message board to repost tweets about it.  🌊 💩 

This is a discussion board, so I include my own views and those of others to spur discussion.

Gotcha covered, Boss. No problemo

• Upvote 1

Good that it's less of an immediate necessity but I'd still go OL with 2 of the first 3 picks if the value is there.  They might get more out of IOL in the first, or another position group that teams don't usually go for in the top 10.  If there are already 4-5 tackles off the board but one G/C it stands to reason that 2nd best IOL is a better prospect than the remaining OTs.  Same with interior DL, TE or DB that typically come off the board mid-round. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Good that it's less of an immediate necessity but I'd still go OL with 2 of the first 3 picks if the value is there.  They might get more out of IOL in the first, or another position group that teams don't usually go for in the top 10.  If there are already 4-5 tackles off the board but one G/C it stands to reason that 2nd best IOL is a better prospect than the remaining OTs.  Same with interior DL, TE or DB that typically come off the board mid-round. 

Bengals have no depth at center behind Karras. Trey Hill hasn't worked out and Scharping was the backup last year but is unsigned. So I'd be fine with it if JPJ is the pick at 18. But we don't need to use a premium pick there as this is a deep class at center. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals have no depth at center behind Karras. Trey Hill hasn't worked out and Scharping was the backup last year but is unsigned. So I'd be fine with it if JPJ is the pick at 18. But we don't need to use a premium pick there as this is a deep class at center. 

True, Hill has hardly played and when he did he was a human penalty flag. 

They do need depth for sure but other than Price and Zeitler, they don’t typically go early with interior OL. A couple of guys who are likely day 2 guys that are intriguing to me are Sedrick Van Pran of UGA and Christian Mahogany of BC. 

10 hours ago, texbengal said:

True, Hill has hardly played and when he did he was a human penalty flag. 

They do need depth for sure but other than Price and Zeitler, they don’t typically go early with interior OL. 

Perhaps why they've had to bring IOL in as free agents. After watching Cappa on tape getting abused by our new DT I'd call it mixed results at best. Volson was a 4th round pick and a marginal starter. Maybe they should try drafting them earlier and see how that goes?

The bigger concern to me is that Pollack is their primary OL scout. I'm starting to see that as a problem regardless of the round they're being drafted. Believe most teams would've fired him by now.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Perhaps why they've had to bring IOL in as free agents. After watching Cappa on tape getting abused by our new DT I'd call it mixed results at best. Volson was a 4th round pick and a marginal starter. Maybe they should try drafting them earlier and see how that goes?

The bigger concern to me is that Pollack is their primary OL scout. I'm starting to see that as a problem regardless of the round they're being drafted. Believe most teams would've fired him by now.

Yeah Pollack hasn’t impressed. Say what you want about Alexander, but he could find talent… guys like Willie, Levi Jones, Whit, Zeitler and Steinbach as highly drafted guys, Stacy Andrews, Bobbie Williams in FA, and even waived guys like Brilz, Cook and Braham. 

A different approach would be welcomed, since their current drafting approaches insanity from a process and especially playing effectiveness standpoint. 

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

To be fair, the Bengals have picked only one offensive lineman higher than the 4th round over the last 5 years and that was Carman at #46 in the second round.  You are asking way too much of Pollack if all he gets are middle round picks and marginal or injury prone FAs. 

Kansas City has only one lineman chosen later than the 3rd round.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

To be fair, the Bengals have picked only one offensive lineman higher than the 4th round over the last 5 years and that was Carman at #46 in the second round.  You are asking way too much of Pollack if all he gets are middle round picks and marginal or injury prone FAs. 

Kansas City has only one lineman chosen later than the 3rd round.  

I used to give the same excuse actually but who has he made better, FA or draft pick. The big name FA's have kind of fizzled, they look average at best here. Carman himself seems to have all the tools but zero motivation, content to remain a backup.  We could point to Volson as a later pick that Pollack has developed into a starter, but should he really be starting?

They let the position coaches be draft scouts and then they end up with these pet project types wasting everyone's time.

Pollack's OL has underperformed across the board, it's not just poor drafting. In either case though no one will be held responsible.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I used to give the same excuse actually but who has he made better, FA or draft pick. The big name FA's have kind of fizzled, they look average at best here. Carman himself seems to have all the tools but zero motivation, content to remain a backup.  We could point to Volson as a later pick that Pollack has developed into a starter, but should he really be starting?

They let the position coaches be draft scouts and then they end up with these pet project types wasting everyone's time.

Pollack's OL has underperformed across the board, it's not just poor drafting. In either case though no one will be held responsible.

Any offensive lineman chosen in the 4th round or later is nothing more than a project.  Few become starters.  And offensive linemen who are FAs are usually old, not good or have baggage.  Most teams will do almost anything to keep a good offensive lineman. 

Not defending Pollack, just saying this team has been woefully negligent in making lineman a priority in the draft recently.  It may be the after effect of having drafted Ogbuehi, Billy Price and Jake Fisher high in the draft.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Any offensive lineman chosen in the 4th round or later is nothing more than a project.  Few become starters.  And offensive linemen who are FAs are usually old, not good or have baggage.  Most teams will do almost anything to keep a good offensive lineman. 

Not defending Pollack, just saying this team has been woefully negligent in making lineman a priority in the draft recently.  It may be the after effect of having drafted Ogbuehi, Billy Price and Jake Fisher high in the draft.  

Good points .

Katy knows this and has been addressing it with Brown and Ford to a degree.

The starting Oline is promising and set.

Draft as they want but this is Now.

• Upvote 1