^ Ford resigning is a good one. I'm sure he's very cheap as an insurance policy.

Plus his GF/Wife also seemed like a good person when he made the team in their social media videos, so I'm happy for both of them. 😊

• Upvote 2

He was OBj's teammate at Oklahoma and Orlando lobbied for the Bengals to sign him last year. Ford is the sort of depth guy like Trayveon Williams, Mitchell Wilcox, Josh Tupou, Joe Bachie, or Markus Bailey who it should be easy to re-sign.

Then we can work on Trent Irwin, ADG, and Tanner Hudson who might have interest from other teams. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Signing low cost players first.

I like the method.

Teams can't talk to other team's players until Monday and can't sign them until Wednesday. For the bottom of the roster guys who won't have outside interest, it makes sense for them to sign early and get certainty on their situation. Otherwise they run the risk of it turning into musical chairs with no place for them when the music stops if their previous team has replaced them. 

• Upvote 3

It's Free Agency Eve. Put your cookies and milk out. 

I will do a last-minute run down using much of the old stuff. 

The plan and the players

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_oGEDBZnU6LESfPLyD8apeXSKI-OJ4Z8IWYd7YcnAsM/edit?usp=sharing

QB-Nothing, maybe bring back McCarron after his Battlehawks tenure

RB-Cut Mixon but maybe bring him back. Lots of names on the list. I assume they feel out the market and then cut Mixon. I put that in a different order last time. He doesn't need to be cut until Friday. If he is cut it will be with a plan in mind. That will be his replacement or an agreed-upon new contract. Save 5.75-6.1M on him depending on what you read. I think you can probably get him back for about 3-4. His most likely option is paired with Tyjae Spears in Tennessee for Callahan I think. I would bet they just go down the list and see if they can get anyone to bite for a reasonable deal. If no upgrade is available they just run back with Mixon. I'd be happy with any of A or B and could be talked into anyone in C. 

Group A: Henry-Pollard-Barkley-Swift-Jacobs

Group B: Moss

Group C Mixon-Gibson-Dillon-Singletary-Foreman-Edwards-Mattison-Ekeler

WR-I'd sign a vet for the slot. The draft is deep but I think you can get a good deal on a slot guy

Three layers here: 

Long term starter

Darnell Mooney

Curtis Samuel

Flyer with high upside

Paris Campbell

Veteran on league minimum

Jamal Agnew

Deonte Harty

Braxton Berrios

Young guy who fits the mod of our common signings. 

Quez Watkins

Scotty Miller

Tight End-The draft is simply terrible for what we want. Bowers is a stud but we can't count on him being there. Cade Stover fits what we want too. He is an all-around guy. Most others don't. Maybe Ben Sinnott, But he is a bit of a projection. Still that's three. They will have to sign someone. After the signings of Henry (9AAV), Smith (5AAV) and Schultz (12AAV) things are running a bit dry. Those numbers probably take us out of Fant who may get 9-10M. Sample and Hudson should be back. I hope they don't play around with Sample

Long term Starter with upside

Fant

Short term starter 2-3 years settles the position

Everett

1 year starter where you could easily draft a TE early still

Logan Thomas-Played QB for Taylor

Hayden Hurst

Young flyer who would be starting for first time. 

Parkinson

Brycen Hopkins

WildCard

Gesicki

OL

Center: If you wanted to upgrade....I don't but there is an argument to sign one and move Karras to LG

Cushenberry-Ex Burrow C

Biadasz-Cowboys

Williams-Dolphins

Brewer-Titans

Tackles: We are most likely to get a starter at RT in the draft. It's deep this year. But we have to hedge that just in case. 

Starters where maybe you don't draft one early

Onwenu

Eluemonor

Shorter term Starters

Trent Brown

Nijman

Fant

Wynn

Fleming

Flyer on a starter who could be long-term but is probably a bust

Becton

We also have a long list of people who our coaches have coached that wouldn't be surprises. 

C-Schlottman, McGovern, Elfein

G-Skipper, Lewis, Risner, Wilkinson, Van Roten, Glasgow

T-Smith, Edoga, Becton, Jones, Quesenberry, Fant, Fleming, Udoh

Nose Tackles-1 in FA, I want Reader back but don't expect it. Reader is 334 pounds. Not a ton of guys at that weight. 

Young guys

Davis-Dolphins

Tart-Texans

Jones-Bears

Vets

Jenkins-Raiders

3 Technique-Would be nice to get one in FA but it's far more likely we get a guy at 3T in the draft then Nose. Especially when we are open for the rotation more. 

Jones-Bills

Roach-Saints

Rankins-Texas

Joseph-Day-49ers

Kinlaw-49ers

Autry-Titans

Defensive End: Probably could sign one but we still like our top 4. 2 veterans that might fit are Carl Lawson and Ogbah who was coached by Hobby in Miami. 

Safety: People keep saying we need a starter but I just don't see it that way. Hill was bad at times this year but he's a stud and they won't give up on him. They will want a rotational veteran who can start and be a leader if he had to be. 

Young guys who fit the age. 

Gilman-Chargers

Stone-Ravens

Whitehead-Jets

Savage-Packers

Vets who fit the rotation

Simmons-Broncos

Amos-Texans

Ford-Packers

Jackson-Bears

Owens-Packers

Walker-Lions

Edmunds-Titans

Corners-You want a fringe starter who is a veteran.  They will probably wait until after the first few days and see what happens when the dust settles. 

Young guys who fit the age

Robertson-Raiders

Jackson-Bills

Murphy-Bunting-Titans

Vets with lots of starts

Griffin-Panthers

Hamilton-Cardinals

Ya-Sin-Ravens

Wallace-Stealers

Howard-Dolphins

Flowers-Falcons

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I don't know if Eluemonor is the model but I want this guy..

He is slightly older but not by much and I think Karras was a bit older when they signed him. Its usually guys heading toward second contracts, old team can't afford them, wont be 31 by time contract is done. 

Free agency is the annual “take Player A with some broken part/parts and fit them into slot where Player B with some broken part/parts used to be”

The Draft is where Player Y has no broken part/parts yet, and will absolutely be the next great thing. That is, until 4 years later, when he becomes Players A and B. 

Cycle of Life. 

• Upvote 2

“Some free agents are coming off injuries and one is Bengals defensive tackle D.J. Reader, who tore his quad in December and hit the market a few months shy of his 30th birthday. I’m told the expectation is Reader will be ready for the season opener and could be cleared for the start of training camp—though it seems like whoever signs him will probably be careful with him through the summer.”

Albert Breer.

7 minutes ago, JC said:

“Some free agents are coming off injuries and one is Bengals defensive tackle D.J. Reader, who tore his quad in December and hit the market a few months shy of his 30th birthday. I’m told the expectation is Reader will be ready for the season opener and could be cleared for the start of training camp—though it seems like whoever signs him will probably be careful with him through the summer.”

Albert Breer.

Good news on him being ready for the season opener. Also kind of good news that the injury may help the Bengals keep him as he won't pass a physical until late in the offseason when teams have already spent their money.

• Upvote 1

I would expect that news to probably make his market more robust. He doesn’t necessarily have to be 100% healthy to pass a physical. He’s probably going to be a wave 1 guy if he’s going to be ready during camp. Probably just loses out on some gtd. That he can make up through snap percentage.