Pick 18, what should Bengals do?

Pick 18   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which position is the biggest need at 18?

• OT
    • DT
    • Other
  2. 2. Of these OT at 18, which would rather have?

• Amarius Mims
    • JC Latham
    • Olu Fashanu
    • Troy Fatanu
    • Taluese Fuaga
    • Tyler Guyton
  3. 3. Of these DT at 18 which would you rather have?

• Byron Murphy
    • Johnny Newton
  4. 4. Do you want Brock Bowers if he's there?

• Hell yes
    • No, pass for other needs
  5. 5. Are you ok with taking CB Cooper Dejean?

• Yes, White Lightning baby!
    • I guess, but prefer trenches
    • No, don't need a DB early
  6. 6. Of these 4 guys most likely to be taken, who do you want?

• Amarius Mims
    • Byron Murphy
    • JC Latham
    • Johnny Newton
  7. 7. Should the Bengals trade up?

• Yes, quality over quantity
    • No, save the picks
  8. 8. Should the Bengals trade back?

• Possibly, if the main guys are gone
    • No, just take the best guy at 18
  9. 9. Would you be ok with taking a WR at 18?

• Yes, need Tee's replacement
    • No, focus on the trenches
  10. 10. Would you be ok with taking WR Brian Thomas?

• Yes, LSU Tee Clone
    • No, focus on the lines
  11. 11. Should the Bengals consider packaging pick 18 and Tee to go into top 10 for Alt or Nabers?

• Yes, be aggressive
    • No, we need Tee for New Orleans SB run

My guesses on the % chances that various OL are available for the Bengals at 18 ... 

Alt - 1 % 

Fashanu - 10 %

Fuaga - 20 %

Fautanu - 35 % 

Latham - 45 %

Mims - 60 % 

JPJ - 85 %

Guyton - 90 %

Barton - 95% 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

I think the 2 semi-realistic choices for pick 18 that I like the most are Fuaga and Murphy.

Not sure how realistic Fuaga is at this point, as he's been rising up draft boards through the process. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Not sure how realistic Fuaga is at this point, as he's been rising up draft boards through the process. 

A question arises:  For each player that rises up the draft boards, which player (or players) is falling?  There frequently is a player or two that unexpectedly falls in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Cricket said:

A question arises:  For each player that rises up the draft boards, which player (or players) is falling?  There frequently is a player or two that unexpectedly falls in the draft. 

hard to say because teams

have intel that the public doesn’t… injuries, off-field, character, etc. The whole Tunsil thing that came to light last-minute, for example.  

But sometimes it’s as simple as there are runs on a position that allows someone to slip, or someone(s) “reaches” for a guy that most pundits had positioned later, and someone else drops down.

I think of CeeDee Lamb from several years ago… seemed to be a top 10 consensus pick leading up to the draft, and he lasted until 17. No apparent reason, and as we’ve seen, he’s a helluva player. 

• Upvote 1

I think Murphy would be the most impactful guy they could get in terms of 2024. But I’m hoping it’s Fuaga/Murphy/Mims or a trade down to get another pick in the top 100.

• Upvote 1

Bengals should consider moving up to 9 if the right guy is there ... the only problem is the players the Bengals would want (Alt, Nabers, Bowers etc) are also likely who the Bears would want to stay put and take. 

IMG_20240410_154918.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's funny how much emphasis we put on a single pick on Day One when Day Two is where most of the team's starters come from. Even have an extra draft pick on Day Two this year.

Off the top of my head these were the Cincinnati starters last season who were drafted in the 2nd or 3rd rounds - Hubbard/BJ Hill/Hendrickson/Wilson/Pratt/Taylor-Britt/Awuzie/sometimes Battle and/or Turner on defense. On offense there was Mixon/Boyd/Higgins/Orlando Brown/Cappa/sometimes Sample. There were only a few starters last season who were 1st round draft picks.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

FB_IMG_1712950158821.jpg

A little surprised to see fans in agreement about the DI position. Maybe even more surprising is that the next pick is TE. How long has the fan base preached building your offense from the trenches out...

Btw I'm fine w/ Murphy if that ends up being the pick.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Griever said:

A little surprised to see fans in agreement about the DI position. Maybe even more surprising is that the next pick is TE. How long has the fan base preached building your offense from the trenches out...

Btw I'm fine w/ Murphy if that ends up being the pick.

There are only 2 DTs that would be considered for pick 18, while there are more than a handful of OL prospects with remarkably similar grades. I just wonder if all of the OL votes were spread out among 5 or 6 different o-linemen.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dex said:

There are only 2 DTs that would be considered for pick 18, while there are more than a handful of OL prospects with remarkably similar grades. I just wonder if all of the OL votes were spread out among 5 or 6 different o-linemen.

That is a very good point Dex, seems like everyone is sold on a different OL for various reasons

• Upvote 1

It still seems like a poor use of resources to take a backup 3T at 18. I don't have anything against Murphy or Newton as prospects but they would be playing behind Hill and probably Rankins in 2024 and 2025. That's half their rookie contract. Certainly we can rotate them and taking one of them would let us move on from Hill after 2024. But it's still a luxury pick when we don't have a starting NT and RT would be a gaping wound if Trent Brown gets injured, as he does most years.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It still seems like a poor use of resources to take a backup 3T at 18. I don't have anything against Murphy or Newton as prospects but they would be playing behind Hill and probably Rankins in 2024 and 2025. That's half their rookie contract. Certainly we can rotate them and taking one of them would let us move on from Hill after 2024. But it's still a luxury pick when we don't have a starting NT and RT would be a gaping wound if Trent Brown gets injured, as he does most years.

This is Hill's final year. It's also Karas and likely Tee as well. Then Brown was only signed for a year. I think all 4 positions should be on the table.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

You’re worrying about something that hasn’t even happened yet. Why?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

This is Hill's final year. It's also Karas and likely Tee as well. Then Brown was only signed for a year. I think all 4 positions should be on the table.

I agree it doesn't look likely that Tee will be extended. But extending Karras for a year or two seems entirely possible, whether it's done before or after the 2024 season. Depending on who we get in this draft, Trent Brown might also be a candidate for extension. Maybe even Hill, though brining in Rankins most likely precludes that.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

You’re worrying about something that hasn’t even happened yet. Why?

Opportunity cost. If we don't take a RT at 18, the pool will have shrunk considerably by 49. Trent Brown has averaged 10 starts per year over the last 5 years. So it's a gamble that he'll be able to start every game. He did play in 17 games with 16 starts in 2022. But he only started 8 games last year. 

NT is our biggest current need. But there aren't any first round talents at the position in this class. So we can draft elsewhere. 3T isn't a high priority need with Rankins and Hill onboard. We can pick from Sweat, Jenkins, Boyd, Taylor, Jackson, etc in round 3 and later. If we want a decent long term RT prospect who could safely be thrown into the fire in 2024, then we need to take him at 18 or perhaps trade up from 49. I'm opposed to trading up in this draft, there are decent prospects all through day 1 and 2, so we should just add talent at positions where they will improve the roster. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2024 at 3:36 PM, BlackJesus said:

FB_IMG_1712950158821.jpg

Allright then.

I see a possible pro bowler or even All-,Pro in yrs to come.

Raw yes but so enticing with all the attributes as an RT..

Better Run thru thru the Jungle grab this kid.

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2024 at 1:49 AM, claptonrocks said:

Allright then.

I see a possible pro bowler or even All-,Pro in yrs to come.

Raw yes but so enticing with all the attributes as an RT..

Better Run thru thru the Jungle grab this kid.

Er, which player are you referring to?