*** [RD 1] Bengals Select ~ AMARIUS MIMS, OT ***

Mims probably will have the longest wingspan in the NFL at 86 3/4 inches. According to Dan Hoard, his wingspan is the same as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's. According to Mims, he believes the last sack he allowed in an official game was as a junior in HS. He was able to recall everything that happened that caused the sack even though it happened about 5 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

Mims probably will have the longest wingspan in the NFL at 86 3/4 inches. According to Dan Hoard, his wingspan is the same as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's. According to Mims, he believes the last sack he allowed in an official game was as a junior in HS. He was able to recall everything that happened that caused the sack even though it happened about 5 years ago.

I am sorry but we cannot have impressive guys like this on our OL. What the hell are we going to bitch about?

• Like 2

There were apparently many opportunities to trade down out of the pick, and not just with Kansas City. Atlanta apparently trade up with Cincinnati, looking to give them their 2nd round pick (43) and next year's 1st round pick...the Falcons usually pick in the top 10 every year). I think it was a good decision. DTs the Bengals may have coveted like Johnny Newton and Sweat were already off the board at pick 43. So I'm glad that the Bengals stayed put at 18 and took the OT with ridiculous upside. He had been on their radar since he showed up at Georgia, the rare OT that looks like he had been created in a lab experiment. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I am sorry but we cannot have impressive guys like this [Mims] on our OL. What the hell are we going to bitch about?

…him sitting on the bench.  🥷

Interesting that we snagged who the Stealers wanted but it appears that we really wanted the DL lineman Murphy that Seattle got at 16. If Seattle had beaten us last Fall, we'd have had that pick. But you know, I'm glad we got Mims. I think protecting Burrow is a bigger priority for this franchise than a D lineman. So I'm glad we beat Seattle. I was at that game 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Interesting that we snagged who the Stealers wanted but it appears that we really wanted the DL lineman Murphy that Seattle got at 16. If Seattle had beaten us last Fall, we'd have had that pick. But you know, I'm glad we got Mims. I think protecting Burrow is a bigger priority for this franchise than a D lineman. So I'm glad we beat Seattle. I was at that game 😁

I've looked at it for a while now, when this looked how the chips would fall (Murphy vs Mimms) as getting a shot to win the Super Bowl this year (with Murphy, and hoping like hell for a healthy Trent Brown) to winning several in the coming years. 

I'm a patient man. After all, I'm a Bengals fan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking around the NFL as more draft strategy comes out, it is pretty obvious that Jacksonville at pick 17 was a very popular trade-up spot for many teams. Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Green Bay and Tampa Bay all tried to trade up in front of the Bengals. All those teams who failed to trade up went OL anyway. Dallas tried to trade up to 17 before deciding to trade down to 29 for Tyler Guyton. I'm sure there were other teams besides Minnesota who tried to get to 17 to draft a sliding defensive player, but clearly most were after Amarius Mims.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dex said:

17 was a very popular trade-up spot for many teams.

Bengals fans should thank Minnesota for moving into that spot and taking Dallas Turner. It prevented the Queefs from getting Mims instead. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

When your rivals fans first reaction to your draft pick is "Fuck!" ... You probably made the right choice. 😎 

IMG_20240501_222854.jpg

IMG_20240501_222903.jpg

IMG_20240501_222923.jpg

IMG_20240501_222914.jpg

Yeah he definitely wasn't a consensus first round pick that easily could've gone higher if not for the run on QB's & WR's...  We're just copying the Stealers.   The next generation of Bengals fans are going to need to huff a lot of spray paint if we're ever going to catch up to them.

• Upvote 1