Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Here's my way-too-early prediction for the final roster:

 

QB (2): Joe Burrow QB1, Jake Browning QB2

RB (4): Zach Moss(RB1), Chase Brown (RB2), Trayveon Williams(RB3), Chris Evans (RB4)

WR (7): Ja'Marr Chase(WR1), Tee Higgins(WR2), Trenton Irwin(WR3), Andre Iosivas (WR4), Charlie Jones(WR5), Jermaine Burton (WR6), Shedrick Johnson (WR7)

TE (4):  Mike Gesecki (TE1), Drew Sample(TE2), Tanner Hudson(TE3), Eric All(TE4),

OT(4): Orlando Brown Jr.(LT1), Jackson Carman(LT2), Trent Brown(RT1), Amarius Mims(RT2)

OG(3): Cordell Volson (LG1), Alex Cappa(RG1), Cody Ford(OG)

C(2): Ted Karras (C1), Tre Hill(C2)

DT(5): Sheldon Rankins(DT1), BJ Hill(DT2), Kris Jenkins (DT3), McKinley Jackson(DT4), Zach Carter(DT5)

DE(5),Trey Hendrickson(DE1), Sam Hubbard(DE2), Myles Murphy(DE3), Joseph Ossai(DE4), Cam Sample(DE5)

LB(4):Logan Wilson(LB1), Germaine Pratt(LB2), Akeem Davis-Gaither(LB3), Joe Bachie(LB4)

CB(6): Cam Taylor-Britt(CB1), DJ Turner(CB2), Dax Hill(CB3), Mike Hilton(CB4), DJ Ivey(CB5), Josh Newton(CB6)

FS(2): Geno Stone(FS1), Tycen Anderson(FS2)

SS(2): Vonn Bell(SS1), Jordan Bell(SS2)

K(1): Evan McPherson

P(1): Brad Robbins

LS(1): Cal Adomitis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only changes to yours ... 

 

- Add Matt Lee (C2) for Hill. 

 

- Add Austin McNamara (P) for Robbins.

 

- I think the real WR order is ...

WR (6): Ja'Marr Chase (WR1), Tee Higgins (WR2), Jermaine Burton (WR3), Andre Iosivas (WR4), Trenton Irwin (WR5), Charlie Jones (WR6).

 

- I would put Sample as TE1 over Gesicki, who is really more WR3 or 4 than a TE.

 

- I also think the Bengals like their Ole Miss rookies Anthony and Johnson from Ole Miss and don't think you can put them on the practice squad (will get poached). 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best way to do this exercise is to figure out what 47 players figure to be active if healthy on gamedays and build the back end of the roster around that. It almost doesn't matter how many guys you have at a certain position when you construct a roster that way.

 

-  There is no reason to carry 4 RBs unless the 4th guy is going to be active on gamedays. No one is going to take Evans off of the Practice Squad. 

 

- Doubtful that Ivey will be ready to play at the start of the season. His ACL surgery came pretty late in the season. Not to mention the fact that CB is probably the toughest position to play after 1acl surgery due to all of the mirroring that's required for the position.

 

- With the new kickoff rules requiring more bulk, teams are not going to only carry 4 LBs. I'm thinking one of the UDFA LBs will make the 53 man roster and be active on Sundays. The DB room may be the position group that gets hurt most by the new kickoff rules.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dex said:

The best way to do this exercise is to figure out what 47 players figure to be active if healthy on gamedays and build the back end of the roster around that. It almost doesn't matter how many guys you have at a certain position when you construct a roster that way.

 

-  There is no reason to carry 4 RBs unless the 4th guy is going to be active on gamedays. No one is going to take Evans off of the Practice Squad. 

 

- Doubtful that Ivey will be ready to play at the start of the season. His ACL surgery came pretty late in the season. Not to mention the fact that CB is probably the toughest position to play after 1acl surgery due to all of the mirroring that's required for the position.

 

- With the new kickoff rules requiring more bulk, teams are not going to only carry 4 LBs. I'm thinking one of the UDFA LBs will make the 53 man roster and be active on Sundays. The DB room may be the position group that gets hurt most by the new kickoff rules.

 

Hobs mentioned Ivey is probably a PUP candidate. Same for Erik All. 

Agreed on LB... one of those UDFAs has a shot at the 53, and although Hobs mentioned that with the new KR rules, they may keep 4 RBs, I don't see it. So I think Evans is either a PS candidate, or he's on someone else's roster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

My only changes to yours ... 

 

- Add Matt Lee (C2) for Hill. 

 

- Add Austin McNamara (P) for Robbins.

 

- I think the real WR order is ...

WR (6): Ja'Marr Chase (WR1), Tee Higgins (WR2), Jermaine Burton (WR3), Andre Iosivas (WR4), Trenton Irwin (WR5), Charlie Jones (WR6).

 

- I would put Sample as TE1 over Gesicki, who is really more WR3 or 4 than a TE.

 

- I also think the Bengals like their Ole Miss rookies Anthony and Johnson from Ole Miss and don't think you can put them on the practice squad (will get poached). 

 

Lee is a 7th-round pick who could easily make the practice squad, I think Hill has an advantage as he's been in a pro system for the past few years and understands what the coaches want from him. 

 

The punting job could be a toss-up, I realistically could see our future punter coming from another team if a better option presents itself.

 

As for the TE position, I think Gesicki will get the majority of the TE snaps and be listed as the starting TE on the depth chart while Sample will be used in specific packages. 

 

5 hours ago, dex said:

The best way to do this exercise is to figure out what 47 players figure to be active if healthy on gamedays and build the back end of the roster around that. It almost doesn't matter how many guys you have at a certain position when you construct a roster that way.

 

-  There is no reason to carry 4 RBs unless the 4th guy is going to be active on gamedays. No one is going to take Evans off of the Practice Squad. 

 

- Doubtful that Ivey will be ready to play at the start of the season. His ACL surgery came pretty late in the season. Not to mention the fact that CB is probably the toughest position to play after 1acl surgery due to all of the mirroring that's required for the position.

 

- With the new kickoff rules requiring more bulk, teams are not going to only carry 4 LBs. I'm thinking one of the UDFA LBs will make the 53 man roster and be active on Sundays. The DB room may be the position group that gets hurt most by the new kickoff rules.

 

With the new kickoff rules, Evans and Williams will get an opportunity to contribute more on special teams than in years past, so I included them on the final roster. I remember last year all of the fans and media wanted to cut Evans until he balled out in the preseason and made the team. Evans has ability, he needs more opportunities to get on the field and show what he can do. 

 

Ivey is a 7th round pick that is not a lock to make the roster, he will fight hard to get back on the field and I think he could do so by July. If not he can start the season on the PUP and maybe a guy like Jalen Davis or Allan George makes it instead of Ivey. 

4 hours ago, texbengal said:

 

Hobs mentioned Ivey is probably a PUP candidate. Same for Erik All. 

Agreed on LB... one of those UDFAs has a shot at the 53, and although Hobs mentioned that with the new KR rules, they may keep 4 RBs, I don't see it. So I think Evans is either a PS candidate, or he's on someone else's roster. 

 

Williams and Evans both offer KR potential, I can see both of them back there fielding kickoffs. Not sure why everyone is so quick to cut Evans, he can play when given the opportunity. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

As for the TE position, I think Gesicki will get the majority of the TE snaps and be listed as the starting TE on the depth chart while Sample will be used in specific packages. 

 

 

I don't mean this as a complaint but Sample is a TE in name only.  It would not surprise me to see one or even both of the rookies end the year with better receiving stats.

 

That being said it would probably be good for both Drew & the offense as a whole if other teams had to account for him as more than a blocker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dax Hill looks the part, now they just need him to play like it. If he is starting CB quality then that might be the deepest position on the team (as I think Hilton is the best Nickel in the game, CTB has a breakout year, Turner makes a 2nd year jump, Ivey will come back strong, and Fig Newton will surprise people). 

 

IMG_20240612_143241.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

I don't mean this as a complaint but Sample is a TE in name only.  It would not surprise me to see one or even both of the rookies end the year with better receiving stats.

 

That being said it would probably be good for both Drew & the offense as a whole if other teams had to account for him as more than a blocker.

With Gesicki and THuddy as our pass catching TE's, I'm almost looking at Sample as a FB at this point. Might just be selective memory but I feel like Sample did a good job as a lead blocker in the run game.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Griever said:

With Gesicki and THuddy as our pass catching TE's, I'm almost looking at Sample as a FB at this point. Might just be selective memory but I feel like Sample did a good job as a lead blocker in the run game.

I think Sample and Gesicki are both going to be lining up everywhere, often in motion. Some of the beat writers have mentioned how often the TEs have been put in motion in OTAs.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dex said:

I think Sample and Gesicki are both going to be lining up everywhere, often in motion. Some of the beat writers have mentioned how often the TEs have been put in motion in OTAs.

Eye candy is good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

 

... He's also OT4 in front of Carman. 

 

 

That's ridiculous, he's an in-line TE, not an OT. Sample is a blocking TE who can catch a pass now and then.  

If Brown got hurt they are not putting Sample in to play LT, that would be Carman. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

That's ridiculous,

If Brown got hurt they are not putting Sample in to play LT, that would be Carman. 

 

Well, it was meant more figuratively. Meaning he is actually a better blocker at RT than Carman is and he is often used as a glorified 6th OL rather than a TE in a way they wouldn't even trust Carman to do. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BlackJesus said:

 

Well it was meant more figuratively. Meaning he is actually a better blocker at RT than Carman is and he is often used as a glorified 6th OL rather than a TE in a way they wouldn't even trust Sample to do. 

 

I don't think he's a better blocker than Carman, he's good for a TE but Carman is a superior blocker. Carman is much improved and I think this will be his best season as a pro. 

 

We have a lot of players who should be entering the prime of their NFL careers and I expect them to take a big leap, guys who have been on the roster for 2-3 years and should be fully acclimated to the NFL. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't sleep on Josh Newton y'all. I ALWAYS look at pre-season player rankings before the college season of each year's draft, and Newton was often pegged as a 1st rounder, and generally top-50 pick before last season. 

 

If Hill can step up and Newton can fulfill that potential, we might have really gotten away with it in this draft. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

 

 

That's ridiculous, he's an in-line TE, not an OT. Sample is a blocking TE who can catch a pass now and then.  

If Brown got hurt they are not putting Sample in to play LT, that would be Carman. 

 

 

If OBrown were to get hurt, I think TBrown would move over to LT with Mims moving in at RT. TBrown was a LT last season, and played at a high level when he was healthy. Mims has too much learn to have him practicing at both RT and LT. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, alleycat said:

Don't sleep on Josh Newton y'all. I ALWAYS look at pre-season player rankings before the college season of each year's draft, and Newton was often pegged as a 1st rounder, and generally top-50 pick before last season. 

 

If Hill can step up and Newton can fulfill that potential, we might have really gotten away with it in this draft. 

 

Is the real Josh Newton the one from 2022 or the one from 2023?

 

By all accounts Newton has looked excellent thus far. Been in 2022 mode. Players and beat writers have all marveled at how impressive he has been in the early going. Moving well and displaying great hands.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, alleycat said:

Don't sleep on Josh Newton y'all. 

 

I agree and think he's shown a spark and confidence that he knows he can compete at this level. His feistyness reminds me of CTB, which fits the mold of what Lou likes.

 

IMG_20240612_162952.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dex said:

 

Is the real Josh Newton the one from 2022 or the one from 2023?

 

By all accounts Newton has looked excellent thus far. Been in 2022 mode. Players and beat writers have all marveled at how impressive he has been in the early going. Moving well and displaying great hands.

 

Love the way he plays... intense kid, high-energy, fearless. Might have been a great find - as you say, more like 2022 Fig. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

 

Lee is a 7th-round pick who could easily make the practice squad, I think Hill has an advantage as he's been in a pro system for the past few years and understands what the coaches want from him. 

 

The punting job could be a toss-up, I realistically could see our future punter coming from another team if a better option presents itself.

 

As for the TE position, I think Gesicki will get the majority of the TE snaps and be listed as the starting TE on the depth chart while Sample will be used in specific packages. 

 

 

With the new kickoff rules, Evans and Williams will get an opportunity to contribute more on special teams than in years past, so I included them on the final roster. I remember last year all of the fans and media wanted to cut Evans until he balled out in the preseason and made the team. Evans has ability, he needs more opportunities to get on the field and show what he can do. 

 

Ivey is a 7th round pick that is not a lock to make the roster, he will fight hard to get back on the field and I think he could do so by July. If not he can start the season on the PUP and maybe a guy like Jalen Davis or Allan George makes it instead of Ivey. 

 

Williams and Evans both offer KR potential, I can see both of them back there fielding kickoffs. Not sure why everyone is so quick to cut Evans, he can play when given the opportunity. 

 

 

Sure, Chris Evans is fine... and if they keep 4, he'll make it. KR potential helps him for sure. My point was, I don't see them keeping 4. Charlie Jones can be your second KR, and unless something changes, Tray'Veon Williams is your #3 RB and primary KR, and has been for the last 2 years with Evans on the team. We'll find out in a few months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At worst, it feels like Shedrick Jackson will be WR1 on the practice squad. Then the first guy they elevate when someone inevitably gets injured. Yesterday Burrow mentioned these 3 receivers making a big jump during the offseason program: "Andrei...Trenton...Shed." Troy Walters has also made particular mention of Jackson making a jump forward since last season. He could be an UDFA that makes a name for himself as his career goes on.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Griever said:

With Gesicki and THuddy as our pass catching TE's, I'm almost looking at Sample as a FB at this point. Might just be selective memory but I feel like Sample did a good job as a lead blocker in the run game.

 

He's an h-back that doesn't see the ball much. Whether that's by design or an inability to get himself open IDK. Would be interesting to see him actually take a handoff when he's lined up in the backfield. Zero career carries but the opportunity is there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dex said:

At worst, it feels like Shedrick Jackson will be WR1 on the practice squad. Then the first guy they elevate when someone inevitably gets injured. Yesterday Burrow mentioned these 3 receivers making a big jump during the offseason program: "Andrei...Trenton...Shed." Troy Walters has also made particular mention of Jackson making a jump forward since last season. He could be an UDFA that makes a name for himself as his career goes on.

What was Jackson’s college background?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...