It's Official, Zimmer Era Over

Bullshit.

We usually agree, Ken...but this time, I can't see any positives to this. If you are going to say "Guenther"...there is no body of work at the defensive coordinator position with which to judge. Coupled with the exodus of players--bound to happen now--and the change in the defensive scheme/playcalling (which will naturally happen with someone new, regardless of how much of the "old system" is kept in place) this coming year will in no way be even or better than what it was last. Show me I am wrong.  

We usually agree, Ken...but this time, I can't see any positives to this. If you are going to say "Guenther"...there is no body of work at the defensive coordinator position with which to judge. Coupled with the exodus of players--bound to happen now--and the change in the defensive scheme/playcalling (which will naturally happen with someone new, regardless of how much of the "old system" is kept in place) this coming year will in no way be even or better than what it was last. Show me I am wrong.  

I'm as suspicious of this automatic promotion for Guenther as the next guy, but do you think you could be any more alarmist? I don't expect some grand exodus for the 5-10 Vikings.  Maybe wait and see how they actually perform before you go running through the streets with your hair on fire.

The thing is, that they have known for quite a while that Zimmer was going to be gone.  Whether last year, this year, or next year, someone was finally going to wake up and give him an opportunity.  You are probably right, there is not a lot of chance we are better than last year, considering we were third overall, but I do believe that with the talent base that we have, we should still be a top ten D.  As far as Guenther, if they decide to do that, it would be similar to what happened to Zimmer when he went from DB coach to DC with Dallas, and his DC was Campo.  Guenther, at least, has spent the last 6 seasons working directly with Zimmer, especially on game planning and defending the passing game.  I think he's been groomed for the position.

Seriously?  The guy already has offers from the Bengals, the Vikings as DC and another offer from the Redskins.  He's weighing all three options.  Does that show you what Marv/Zim/Gruden think of that guy?  Highly.

Archived