So it's back to this

Peter King of SI:

[quote]Seahawks 30, Bengals 24

Don't want to say I told you so, but you could see this Bengals' defensive disaster a mile away in training camp. And it's not going to get fixed. Not any time soon.[/quote]

[url="http://www.fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/pickoff"]http://www.fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/pickoff[/url]

[quote name='Actium' post='553453' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:31 AM']Peter King of SI:
Seahawks 30, Bengals 24

Don't want to say I told you so, but you could see this Bengals' defensive disaster a mile away in training camp. And it's not going to get fixed. Not any time soon.[/quote]

what did he see in training camp that we didn't ? :huh:

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='553467' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:09 AM']What did YOU see in training camp that made you think they'd be any better than last year? I love my team, but this defense has sucked for years, and little to nothing was done to fix it for this season.[/quote]

Well lets see.....Brooks was gonna be a beast but he's injured as is Jeanty...cut AJ , Hartwell and Frazier ( down goes Frazier down goes Frazier! that still cracks me up)...Geathers and Smith would tee off on QB's which hasnt happened yet......Joseph, Oneal and Hall would be shutdown and you can see that aint happinen just yet...Williams and Jackson would be good on the pass and run...I saw what Jackson does on the run against Lewis and it wasnt pretty .. so sir not to pretty..

So all in all the defense just isnt living up to what the expectations were... no even a lil bit.
Guess they're still not "doin their job" right Marvin?

The only thing they did to this defense over the offseason was "hope". "We hope Brooks turns into the player we think he can be", "we hope Deltha quits pouting about his contract", "we hope that our front four can apply consistant pressure", "we hope that Jonathan Joseph gets healthy", "we hope that Odell is re-instated". Other then that, they signed a couple 2nd or 3rd string guys to help fill some backup roles, and drafted a few people who are great unknowns (and "hope"fuls themselves).

Hope isn't good enough in the NFL. As Bengal fans, we should know. It's all we held onto for years.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='553473' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:59 AM']The only thing they did to this defense over the offseason was "hope". "We hope Brooks turns into the player we think he can be", "we hope Deltha quits pouting about his contract", "we hope that our front four can apply consistant pressure", "we hope that Jonathan Joseph gets healthy", "we hope that Odell is re-instated". Other then that, they signed a couple 2nd or 3rd string guys to help fill some backup roles, and drafted a few people who are great unknowns (and "hope"fuls themselves).
Hope isn't good enough in the NFL. As Bengal fans, we should know. It's all we held onto for years.[/quote]

Well Im hoping that our corners can come up with some big plays Sunday... I think the Hawks will go up top and test em.... here's hoping J-Joe, Hall and Oneal can play up to their preseason hype.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='553473' date='Sep 21 2007, 08:59 AM']The only thing they did to this defense over the offseason was "hope". "We hope Brooks turns into the player we think he can be", "we hope Deltha quits pouting about his contract", "we hope that our front four can apply consistant pressure", "we hope that Jonathan Joseph gets healthy", "we hope that Odell is re-instated". Other then that, they signed a couple 2nd or 3rd string guys to help fill some backup roles, and drafted a few people who are great unknowns (and "hope"fuls themselves).
Hope isn't good enough in the NFL. As Bengal fans, we should know. It's all we held onto for years.[/quote]
Let's see. We replaced 3rd ans Tory with a first round draft pick...
We replaced a crappy safety in KK with 2 new draft picks...
We cut "a step slow LB" in Simmons and replaced him with a freak of nature in Brooks, who if you're watching, is making a huge difference when he's in the game...

The only think we were hoping for is the guys we had on the team to stay healthy. <_<

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='553483' date='Sep 21 2007, 05:48 AM']Let's see. We replaced 3rd ans Tory with a first round draft pick..who didnt play any better than James did.
We replaced a crappy safety in KK with 2 new draft picks...who havent done shit yet
We cut "a step slow LB" in Simmons and replaced him with a freak of nature in Brooks, who if you're watching, is making a huge difference when he's in the game...on second thought guys off the street are replacing Simmons now.

The only think we were hoping for is the guys we had on the team to stay healthy...which we'll probably never see[/quote]

:whistle: ....... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='553465' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:49 AM']what did he see in training camp that we didn't ? :huh:[/quote]

The Buffet line

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='553483' date='Sep 21 2007, 05:48 AM']Let's see. We replaced 3rd ans Tory with a first round draft pick...
We cut "a step slow LB" in Simmons and replaced him with a freak of nature in Brooks, who if you're watching, is making a huge difference when he's in the game...

The only think we were hoping for is the guys we had on the team to stay healthy. <_<[/quote]

WORD [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='553490' date='Sep 21 2007, 12:00 PM']:whistle: ....... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img][/quote]
Hall at least makes tackles and gives us a chance to run blitzes instead of sitting back and doing jack shit to pressure the QB.

Thank god the young safeties haven't played a lot yet. We actually have a position on the team where the starters are healthy.

Simmons would have been nice for depth as our 7th LB, I'll give you that.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

And as for the injuries, what can I say - we're fucked yet again <_<

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='553483' date='Sep 21 2007, 05:48 AM']Let's see. We replaced 3rd ans Tory with a first round draft pick...

The only think we were hoping for is the guys we had on the team to stay healthy. <_<[/quote]

You basically agree with me then. We cut some guys who were getting old, and we drafted some guys....neither of which makes the 2007 defense much better (if at all) than the 2006 version. The only improvement was the subtraction of a few guys. It's the "hope and pray" defense. :)

With that said, the 2008 version [i]should[/i] be better as JoJo, Brooks, Hall and some of the other young guys continue to develop. (JoJo is pretty close now) I'd like to see them get someone who can compliment Geathers (like a Peppers or a Merriman) on that line (not a fatass like BJ wants) in the next draft, and perhaps see if we can dig up another 2nd round LB gem.

The beloved Bengals shall indeed defeat the seattle seahoes, if our defensive unit can muster just half of the desire and intensity they displayed to the nation on that fateful monday night a few short weeks ago. I myself am looking for full effort, as these players do get paid a considerable sum of money, and anything less than the fufillment of their potential would make me seriously consider abandoning all hope of a champoinship season. I pray, from the considerable depth of my being that last weeks effort was an abnormality...a snap to the ass with the meaningfull end of a wet towel that has left a mark upon the soul of every personage that is affiliated with the organization.

Seattle's got a quick front 7 and some very good LBs... but they're undersized, especially up front on the DL. Plus, they have really good corners, but not very good safeties. For reasons of size in the OL, protecting the D, plus the coverage ability of the Hawk CBs, I expect the Bengals to run early and often.

The Seahawks have a good OL, and a good blocking FB in Mack Strong. WRs aren't gonna hit home runs, but they're solid, reliable pass catchers, especially Branch and Bobby Engram. While I think Alexander may've slowed down, he's still a quality back. Hey, I thought Jamal was done, and the Bengals D made him look like Jim Brown last weekend.

So, I hope the Bengals take their time, run and use the clock, and play keep-away from Seattle. I don't see Seattle making a lot of explosive plays, but they will gain yards. If the defense plays pretty well, I think they'll be able to stay in the game. Since I think the Bengals can definitely score against an under-sized defense, I look for them to win this one.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='553465' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:49 AM']what did he see in training camp that we didn't ? :huh:[/quote]

Not a lot of us saw much... and even if we did actually go and watch (at camp), what do we really have as a measuring stick? I doubt many of us has been to another team's training camp long enough to really compare and contrast the two defenses.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='553467' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:09 AM']What did YOU see in training camp that made you think they'd be any better than last year? I love my team, but this defense has sucked for years, and little to nothing was done to fix it for this season.[/quote]

Instead of trying to home grow this defense, we need to make a plunge into free agency and do something about the instability at LB and depth (we going to need a starter next year) across the defensive line. It did work for the offense (home growing)... with basically everyone but Bobbie Williams, but dang... Dexter Jackson, Bryan Robinson, Sam Adams - come on. Everyone brought in from the outside (defensively) has sucked ass except for Deltha - who had a couple good seasons. Teams release or don't sign those guys for the same reason we've released or not signed ours = old age, declined skill. We snatch up these guys and then wonder why our defense sucks so bad. I mean, we don't have to sign a guy to a 60 million dollar contract, but overpaying slightly for a couple above average players could very well pay off for this defense - or at least make us respectable. Perhaps I am speaking too soon and we play shutout defense against Seattle, but after watching last week's glorious display, I'm rather doubtful at the moment.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='553706' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:40 PM']HE ALSO SAID DREW BRESS IS BETTER THAN CARSON[/quote]

Complete. Ignorance.

[quote name='Tigris' post='553878' date='Sep 21 2007, 09:49 PM']Not a lot of us saw much... and even if we did actually go and watch (at camp), what do we really have as a measuring stick? I doubt many of us has been to another team's training camp long enough to really compare and contrast the two defenses.
Instead of trying to home grow this defense, we need to make a plunge into free agency and do something about the instability at LB and depth (we going to need a starter next year) across the defensive line. It did work for the offense (home growing)... with basically everyone but Bobbie Williams, but dang... Dexter Jackson, Bryan Robinson, Sam Adams - come on. Everyone brought in from the outside (defensively) has sucked ass except for Deltha - who had a couple good seasons. Teams release or don't sign those guys for the same reason we've released or not signed ours = old age, declined skill. We snatch up these guys and then wonder why our defense sucks so bad. I mean, we don't have to sign a guy to a 60 million dollar contract, but overpaying slightly for a couple above average players could very well pay off for this defense - or at least make us respectable. Perhaps I am speaking too soon and we play shutout defense against Seattle, but after watching last week's glorious display, I'm rather doubtful at the moment.
Complete. Ignorance.[/quote]

free agency in the LB position would be insane. for depth, sure, but a quality starting LB in this market would cost 8-9mil a year. i expect another 1-2 rnd pick at LB either pollack or thurman make it back next year, and we move on. i hope we keep madieu. and we either need to see magic from frostee fananae or toeania or draft something special at DT/DE

[quote name='GoBengals' post='554336' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:15 PM']free agency in the LB position would be insane. for depth, sure, but a quality starting LB in this market would cost 8-9mil a year. i expect another 1-2 rnd pick at LB either pollack or thurman make it back next year, and we move on. i hope we keep madieu. and we either need to see magic from frostee fananae or toeania or draft something special at DT/DE[/quote]

see I dont' see a high-round LB pick next year unless one of the current LB's doesn't return. I see us going d-line. You have to consider, all these guys will be back:

Pollack
Thurman (I can't see him getting a 3rd year at this point)
Brooks
Jeanty
Henderson

Then, resign Landon. There's your 6LB's and you can keep a Marshall or Jones as well if you like, or a mid round draft pick.

Once they are all healthy, I just don't see LB as a weakness.

Archived