Sign Faneca

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='610277' date='Dec 16 2007, 02:45 PM']or we can change our teams offensive play calling or scheme to match personal ... but we already know our "genious" doesn't like to do that...[/quote]

or just draft guys that fit our system. ;)

I have suggested signing Faneca as being our #1 offseason priority a couple times on this board already and agree with sois.

We have lost more games this year due to week offensive performances than defensive problems, especially over the second half of the year when our LBs were a bit better/healthier. I would still go pretty much defense only in the draft and beef up the DL.

The one thing I will add though is that this is not all about Carson. Our run game has sucked every since Richie Braham got hurt last season. I am of the belief that if our run game returned to 2005 form, a lot of Carson's problems will disappear. He has struggled the most when we are forced to become completely one dimensional. NFL teams are good enough to stop one dimensional offenses.

I also think that there is a toughness/leadership argument to be made. I like Stacy, but he seems like he is one of those quiet happy go lucky guys that is just a big teddy bear off the field. Faneca is a mean SOB who would bring more of an attitude to the offense. We have been playing too "finesse" on O and need to man it up a bit. Whether that is getting the current guys to play tougher or bringing in someone from the outside, it needs to be made a priority. Faneca seems like an easy fix and would allow us to really concentrate on spending the rest of our resources (remaining cap space and draft picks) to upgrade the defense.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='610316' date='Dec 16 2007, 04:12 PM']or just draft guys that fit our system. ;)[/quote]

Yeah...cuz that has worked so well for us so far......and rookies are always ready to step in.

Things we know....

Faneca can play against pro competition.

Faneca can stay healthy.

Faneca is a mauler that has been killing us for years

Move Faneca to guard for Whitworth.

Move Whitworth to tackle for Willie.

Let Stacy Andrews walk.

Possibly draft the best center in the draft at the top of the second round....

Now that is an offensive line I can live with.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610360' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:48 PM']Yeah...cuz that has worked so well for us so far......and rookies are always ready to step in.

Things we know....

Faneca can stay healthy.

Let Stacy Andrews walk.

Now that is an offensive line I can live

with.[/quote]

yea, having guys play brand new positions just so we can reaplce them with someone who wants 60+ million deal.

you know there is a salary cap right?

spending money to replace good palyers is stupid when there are shitty players who need replaced.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610360' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:48 PM']Yeah...cuz that has worked so well for us so far......and rookies are always ready to step in.

Things we know....

Faneca can stay healthy.

Let Stacy Andrews walk.

Now that is an offensive line I can live with.[/quote]

I'm not opposed to this if we can get Faneca for a semi-reasonable deal. I can't see that happening though.

Wasn't Whit a tackle in college? Why is he even playing guard?

I love Faneca, but if we don't get him, we need to start over and build the team from the inside (OL and DL) out. I don't care if we lose every skill position player (except Carson) if we can start building an awesome line.

Look at what Cleveland did this season by addressing the line. Obviously it works. Look at the Pats line. Look at the Colts line. Why can't we do that?

Cut Rudi, TJ, Chad, Thornton, Justin, Andrews and find guys to build around Whit, Levi and Bobbie.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='610363' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:50 PM']yea, having guys play brand new positions just so we can reaplce them with someone who wants 60+ million deal.

you know there is a salary cap right?

spending money to replace good palyers is stupid when there are shitty players who need replaced.[/quote]

Whit was a Right Tackle in college....

You have to make a call man....Does Rudi suck or is it the offensive line??? You can have two bites of the apple.....

Which one is hurting our running game???

You keep defending Rudi...so you must think it is the offensive line.

[quote name='sois' post='610366' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:55 PM']Wasn't Whit a tackle in college? Why is he even playing guard?

I love Faneca, but if we don't get him, we need to start over and build the team from the inside (OL and DL) out. I don't care if we lose every skill position player (except Carson) if we can start building an awesome line.

Look at what Cleveland did this season by addressing the line. Obviously it works. Look at the Pats line. Look at the Colts line. Why can't we do that?

Cut Rudi, TJ, Chad, Thornton, Justin, Andrews and find guys to build around Whit, Levi and Bobbie.[/quote]

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610367' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:56 PM']Whit was a Right Tackle in college....[/quote]

and reggie mcneal was a QB, the jags TE was a QB, this isnt college. the DE's in the nfl are much faster and stronger than those in college. whit was getting beat at LT. he palyed there..

short memories?

[quote name='sois' post='610366' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:55 PM']Wasn't Whit a tackle in college? Why is he even playing guard?

Cut Rudi, TJ, Chad, Thornton, Justin, Andrews and find guys to build around Whit, Levi and Bobbie.[/quote]

Cleveland has been addressing the line for years. They're just finally healthy.

We don't need to start all over, at least not on offense. The players are there for the most part. We just need better run blocking, improved/inventive play-calling, and a non-skittish Carson.

On D, we need to beef up the d-line and get healthy at the LB position, with some depth as well.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='610369' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:58 PM']and reggie mcneal was a QB, the jags TE was a QB, this isnt college. the DE's in the nfl are much faster and stronger than those in college. whit was getting beat at LT. he palyed there..

short memories?[/quote]

Whit was a RIGHT TACKLE in college......Normally in the NFL Right tackles are tackles that are to slow to play left tackle because speed rushers are usually lined up on that side. He has not played right tackle in the pros yet to prove if he can play it.

Put your money on Faneca catching the first plane to Phoenix once the FA period begins. They want him...and want to pay him. He wants to be there (he and Grimm are buds). He would have been there this year if the Stealers had gone through with a trade with the Cards.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='610371' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:59 PM']Cleveland has been addressing the line for years. They're just finally healthy.[/quote]

is our line healthy or do they just suck? last I remember, Willie was the only guy who is really missing alot of time.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='610371' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:59 PM']Cleveland has been addressing the line for years. They're just finally healthy.

We don't need to start all over, at least not on offense. The players are there for the most part. We just need better run blocking, improved/inventive play-calling, and a non-skittish Carson.

On D, we need to beef up the d-line and get healthy at the LB position, with some depth as well.[/quote]

If you watch Brady he has all kinds of time without people falling at his feet.....thats why he does so well....Carson is always having to shift around in the pocket so he does not get hit....players are always falling at his feet.

Things we know....

Faneca can stay healthy.

Let Stacy Andrews walk.

Now that is an offensive line I can live with.[/quote]

Steinbech was/is a good guard and we drafted him. ;)

Reguardless, he will be WAY too expensive for us. If we werent ready to pay a younger guy in steinbach what makes you think well pay an older guy in Fanaca?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='610379' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:06 PM']Steinbech was/is a good guard and we drafted him. ;)

Reguardless, he will be WAY too expensive for us. If we werent ready to pay a younger guy in steinbach what makes you think well pay an older guy in Fanaca?[/quote]

because we just got mauled by Faneca and Steinbach and now we can't run the ball much at all since Steinbach left.

Do you guys remember what started the demise of the 1988 Super Bowl team??

Max Montoya left for Plan B free agency...........and the offensive line started their downhill slide from there.

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='610373' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:01 PM']Put your money on Faneca catching the first plane to Phoenix once the FA period begins. They want him...and want to pay him. He wants to be there (he and Grimm are buds). He would have been there this year if the Stealers had gone through with a trade with the Cards.[/quote]

pretty much

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610383' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:09 PM']because we just got mauled by Faneca and Steinbach and now we can't run the ball much at all since Steinbach left.

Do you guys remember what started the demise of the 1988 Super Bowl team??

Max Montoya left for Plan B free agency...........and the offensive line started their downhill slide from there.[/quote]

Your answer to everything is FAs. Do you not get that he 1.) is going to be waaaay to expensive for us and 2.) wants to play in AZ.

Is there a cheaper (and possbily younger) option? If so I could live with that. He wants to be paid, dont you get that? My point in bringing up stienbach is that we have drafted pretty good olinemen in the past. Were going to be a top 10 pick in the draft, if there isnt a cheaper G in FA then use the 2nd round pick on a G that can pull. Fanaca is way to expensive.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='610384' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:09 PM']Looks like we franchised the wrong one, eh?[/quote]

Lets just say Steinbach could freelance at DE get more sacks in a season than Smith AND play awesome LG at the same time.

AHHHHHH so signing and drafting our own has worked so far ...right??

Wow...

I think this free agency thing is becoming a disease....I think some fans KNOW the Bengals won't spend any money to sign anyone so they fool themselves into thinking free agency is a horrible thing that never works.

I can see clearly that the Browns made a HUGE mistake signing Steinbach....so much so that they will be playing in that awful place called the playoffs. When will they ever learn that free agency is not the answer?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610394' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:32 PM']AHHHHHH so signing and drafting our own has worked so far ...right??

Wow...[/quote]

Its not been as horrible as you make it out to be either. Stop.

The point is Fanaca is too expensive and wants to play in AZ? Why is this a difficult thing to grasp for you that not every FA out there wants to play for the Bengals.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='610386' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:13 PM']Your answer to everything is FAs. Do you not get that he 1.) is going to be waaaay to expensive for us and 2.) wants to play in AZ.

Is there a cheaper (and possbily younger) option? If so I could live with that. He wants to be paid, dont you get that? My point in bringing up stienbach is that we have drafted pretty good olinemen in the past. Were going to be a top 10 pick in the draft, if there isnt a cheaper G in FA then use the 2nd round pick on a G that can pull. Fanaca is way to expensive.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='610395' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:34 PM']Its not been as horrible as you make it out to be either. Stop.

The point is Fanaca is too expensive and wants to play in AZ? Why is this a difficult thing to grasp for you that not every FA out there wants to play for the Bengals.[/quote]

I think this free agency thing is becoming a disease....I think some fans KNOW the Bengals won't spend any money to sign anyone so they fool themselves into thinking free agency is a horrible thing that never works.

I can see clearly that the Browns made a HUGE mistake signing Steinbach....so much so that they will be playing in that awful place called the playoffs. When will they ever learn that free agency is not the answer?

8 - 8
11 - 5
8 - 8
8 - 8
5 - 9
.....yeah...we are world beaters

Archived