Sign Faneca

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610397' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:38 PM']I think this free agency thing is becoming a disease....I think some fans KNOW the Bengals won't spend any money to sign anyone so they fool themselves into thinking free agency is a horrible thing that never works.

I can see clearly that the Browns made a HUGE mistake signing Steinbach....so much so that they will be playing in that awful place called the playoffs. When will they ever learn that free agency is not the answer?

8 - 8
11 - 5
8 - 8
8 - 8
5 - 9
.....yeah...we are world beaters[/quote]

Jesus.

We have 2 linebackers on this team next year that were starters here at the begining of the year. Brooks and Jeanty, we have 1 LB in Schegal that was signed to a multi year deal. We have Thruman and Pollack signed, but cant count on production from either one. Landon is a UFA, Caleb UFA, Jones UFA, ect ect .... esentally we have to replace the entire LB unit except for 2 starters and a backup. Hello?

We have Madieu is a UFA, dexter is old, perhaps the other 2 safies we drafted will take over and play well, but in your thinking thats not the case so go spend money on two new safties as well.

Justin will be gone and so will robinson, ruker has never been healthy, so now we need to spend money on a DE and a backup.

Rudi is washed up, so we need to pay top dollar for Michal Turner.

We want a pulling guard that can help with the run, so lets make Fanaca the highest paid G in the land.

Im all for FA this year where it makes sence, but where do you actually think were going to get all this money? We cut JT, we still have to replace him, with who? A FA, money, the draft? not ready to start. We cut Rudi, we give ALOT more money to Turner. ect..ect..

I actually believe you dont think there is a cap.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='610406' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:48 PM']Jesus.

We have 2 linebackers on this team next year that were starters here at the begining of the year. Brooks and Jeanty, we have 1 LB in Schegal that was signed to a multi year deal. We have Thruman and Pollack signed, but cant count on production from either one. Landon is a UFA, Caleb UFA, Jones UFA, ect ect .... esentally we have to replace the entire LB unit except for 2 starters and a backup. Hello?

We have Madieu is a UFA, dexter is old, perhaps the other 2 safies we drafted will take over and play well, but in your thinking thats not the case so go spend money on two new safties as well.

Justin will be gone and so will robinson, ruker has never been healthy, so now we need to spend money on a DE and a backup.

Rudi is washed up, so we need to pay top dollar for Michal Turner.

We want a pulling guard that can help with the run, so lets make Fanaca the highest paid G in the land.

Im all for FA this year where it makes sence, but where do you actually think were going to get all this money? We cut JT, we still have to replace him, with who? A FA, money, the draft? not ready to start. We cut Rudi, we give ALOT more money to Turner. ect..ect..

I actually believe you dont think there is a cap.[/quote]

lol How do other teams sign free agents then??? Are the Bengals the only team with a cap? There are far better teams with far better players who still manage to have money to sign free agents. Why is that?? Answer that question and you will have solved the riddle.

Brainwashed....Hobson has done his job....the simple fact is the Bengals refuse to get creative with the contracts or spend cash over cap. Teams will continually sign free agents...improve and play well....rebuild and start the cycle again. I still believe the Bengals think free agency is a fad that will eventually go away...

Where have you gone Eric Steinbach(Max Montoya)...oh you signed a big contract to help another team make the playoffs....go figure.

Until the Bengals get their thumbs out of their ass's and realize that you have to mix in free agents with the draft tp form a winning team...we will continue to carry on the same conversations..

Consider this formula.....we draft a player....by the time he becomes an experienced pro....4 years in...if he is any good he will want a huge contract to stay with the Bengals anyways....how is that different from signing a free agent???

That same player runs the risk of getting hurt just like a free agent does....just like Carson, Levi, Rudi, Anderson have...and so on and so on

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610412' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:55 PM']lol How do other teams sign free agents then??? Are the Bengals the only team with a cap? There are far better teams with far better players who still manage to have money to sign free agents. Why is that?? Answer that question and you will have solved the riddle.[/quote]

Are we really going to get into this again? You know where you continue to not look at reality and just complain about it without offering up a realistic solution. I [b]DID NOT SAY[/b] dont sign any FAs I said I dont want to blow our load on fanaca when we have [b]ALOT[/b] of guys to replace. Hello? I even asked if there was a cheaper option. You want to blow the entire cap on Fanca and Turner. That would fix the O, but what about the D, where we have numerous guys to replace?

Cash over cap? Oldschooler would have to verify this, but Im pretty sure we did spend cash over cap this year.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='610417' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:00 PM']Are we really going to get into this again? You know where you continue to not look at reality and just complain about it without offering up a realistic solution. I [b]DID NOT SAY[/b] dont sign any FAs I said I dont want to blow our load on fanaca when we have [b]ALOT[/b] of guys to replace. Hello? I even asked if there was a cheaper option. You want to blow the entire cap on Fanca and Turner. That would fix the O, but what about the D, where we have numerous guys to replace?

Cash over cap? Oldschooler would have to verify this, but Im pretty sure we did spend cash over cap this year.[/quote]
Brainwashed....Hobson has done his job....the simple fact is the Bengals refuse to get creative with the contracts or spend cash over cap. Teams will continually sign free agents...improve and play well....rebuild and start the cycle again. I still believe the Bengals think free agency is a fad that will eventually go away...

Where have you gone Eric Steinbach(Max Montoya)...oh you signed a big contract to help another team make the playoffs....go figure.

Until the Bengals get their thumbs out of their ass's and realize that you have to mix in free agents with the draft to form a winning team...we will continue to carry on the same conversations..

[b]Consider this formula.....we draft a player....by the time he becomes an experienced pro....4 years in...if he is any good he will want a huge contract to stay with the Bengals anyways....how is that different from signing a free agent???[/b]

That same player runs the risk of getting hurt just like a free agent does....just like Carson, Levi, Rudi, Anderson have...and so on and so on.

We spent cash over cap filling in for injuries on scrub players....not on viable starter for free agents...

Cash over cap is money spent on signing bonuses in a certain year that is spread out over the entire contract and it does not all count against that years cap, but sends money spent in that particular year over the cap....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610419' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:04 PM']Brainwashed....Hobson has done his job....the simple fact is the Bengals refuse to get creative with the contracts or spend cash over cap. Teams will continually sign free agents...improve and play well....rebuild and start the cycle again. I still believe the Bengals think free agency is a fad that will eventually go away...

Until the Bengals get their thumbs out of their ass's and realize that you have to mix in free agents with the draft to form a winning team...we will continue to carry on the same conversations..

[b]Consider this formula.....we draft a player....by the time he becomes an experienced pro....4 years in...if he is any good he will want a huge contract to stay with the Bengals anyways....how is that different from signing a free agent???[/b]

That same player runs the risk of getting hurt just like a free agent does....just like Carson, Levi, Rudi, Anderson have...and so on and so on[/quote]

Your not big on reading comprehension are you?

I would like you to show me ONCE where I said we shouldnt spend money in FA? (Hint: you cant)

Even if we were to get creative with contracts, we still have to replace alot more guys than I think you realize. Im all for a impact FA, but we cant do it in every position no matter how you structure contracts.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='610420' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:10 PM']Your not big on reading comprehension are you?

I would like you to show me ONCE where I said we shouldnt spend money in FA? (Hint: you cant)

Even if we were to get creative with contracts, we still have to replace alot more guys than I think you realize. Im all for a impact FA, but we cant do it in every position no matter how you structure contracts.[/quote]

Did I ever say every position....hell I would instantly throw a party if we EVER signed one!

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='610422' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:13 PM']Your implying it. You want turner, and faneca, and lord knows who else.[/quote]

BS...I am throwing out options...I know they can not sign them all....I just want them to sign ONE of them...just ONE so it is not something we have to address in the draft.

Prediction: If we do not sign one impact free agent this offseason we will finish no better than 8 and 8 again.

If we are going to rely on this draft for starters next year I will go back to the old Paul Brown saying....

"You can usually count one loss for every rookie you have starting"

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610383' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:09 PM']because we just got mauled by Faneca and Steinbach and [b]now we can't run the ball much at all since Steinbach left.[/b]

Do you guys remember what started the demise of the 1988 Super Bowl team??

Max Montoya left for Plan B free agency...........and the offensive line started their downhill slide from there.[/quote]

Two of the three running backs have been able to run the ball well with Steinbach gone.

[quote name='sois' post='610376' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:02 PM']is our line healthy or do they just suck? last I remember, Willie was the only guy who is really missing alot of time.[/quote]

a strong part of me just thinks they need experience together, and that Bluto is getting things thrown at him that he's never seen before, leading to protection breakdowns. I think all 5 starters are starter worthy, they just need to gel. I could be wrong though.

I'd love to see them bring Braham back as an assistant line coach, if nothing else to work with Bluto.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610424' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:22 PM']BS...I am throwing out options...I know they can not sign them all....I just want them to sign ONE of them...just ONE so it is not something we have to address in the draft.

Prediction: If we do not sign one impact free agent this offseason we will finish no better than 8 and 8 again.

If we are going to rely on this draft for starters next year I will go back to the old Paul Brown saying....

"You can usually count one loss for every rookie you have starting"[/quote]

[quote]Main Entry: 1 [color="#FF0000"]or[/color]
Pronunciation: \ər, ˈȯr, Southern also ˈär\
Function: conjunction
Etymology: Middle English, alteration of other, alteration of Old English oththe; akin to Old High German eddo or
Date: 13th century
1—used as a function word to indicate an alternative <coffee or tea><sink or swim>, the equivalent or substitutive character of two words or phrases <lessen or abate>, or approximation or uncertainty <in five or six days>
2archaic : either
3archaic : whether
4—used in logic as a sentential connective that forms a complex sentence which is true when at least one of its constituent sentences is true — compare disjunction[/quote]

:P

[quote name='CTA513' post='610426' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:28 PM']Two of the three running backs have been able to run the ball well with Steinbach gone.[/quote]

I think if you are going to have a running back like Rudi then you need a punishing offensive line....

Faster, more skilled backs can hide less effective lines.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610436' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:55 PM']I think if you are going to have a running back like Rudi then you need a punishing offensive line....

Faster, more skilled backs can hide less effective lines.[/quote]

right. I don't think Rudi has lost it as much as some want to think. I just don't think his style is fitting with the current O-line as it stands. After they gel, I think Rudi can still be an effective back in our system.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='610439' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:59 PM']right. I don't think Rudi has lost it as much as some want to think. I just don't think his style is fitting with the current O-line as it stands. After they gel, I think Rudi can still be an effective back in our system.[/quote]

Is it gel..or is it we need a punishing smart Center and a better pulling guard?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610464' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:11 PM']Is it gel..or is it we need a punishing smart Center and a better pulling guard?[/quote]

I do think we could stand to get our line in better shape. Anyone notice how fat Bobbie has gotten? Whit's big, but he's in shape. Willie and Bobbie are just fat anymore. For Willie, it would help his knee out a lot too.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='610468' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:17 PM']I do think we could stand to get our line in better shape. Anyone notice how fat Bobbie has gotten? Whit's big, but he's in shape. Willie and Bobbie are just fat anymore. For Willie, it would help his knee out a lot too.[/quote]
that would mean working in part with the team trainers.... jesus thats a scary thought :(

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='610469' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:19 PM']that would mean working in part with the team trainers.... jesus thats a scary thought :([/quote]

no kidding, someone fucking remind me to compare the pregame training staffs on sunday.. i know i will forget... fuckin bad weather.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610394' date='Dec 16 2007, 06:32 PM']I think this free agency thing is becoming a disease....I think some fans KNOW the Bengals won't spend any money to sign anyone so [b]they fool themselves into thinking free agency is a horrible thing that never works.[/b]

I can see clearly that the Browns made a HUGE mistake signing Steinbach....so much so that they will be playing in that awful place called the playoffs. When will they ever learn that free agency is not the answer?[/quote]

as much as we hate them, im pretty sure the stealers have shown that free agency isnt needed. we DEFINITELY have the talent on this team. they are either injured/suspended or young. they need a couple of players here and there and some of their guys to get healthy, but other than that they are a very good team. teams usually have an off year before taking the next step. here is our off year.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='610559' date='Dec 17 2007, 02:09 AM']as much as we hate them, im pretty sure the stealers have shown that free agency isnt needed. we DEFINITELY have the talent on this team. they are either injured/suspended or young. they need a couple of players here and there and some of their guys to get healthy, but other than that they are a very good team. teams usually have an off year before taking the next step. here is our off year.[/quote]

Isn't needed?

Well, have fun watching the Browns in the playoffs....say Hi to Steiny....we miss you!

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='610249' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:43 PM']If we sign [b]Alex Faneca[/b], I will give up being a Bengals fan

The last thing this team needs to do is go out and overpay an offensive lineman this offseason...

Resign Stacey and call it a day...

This might be the worst idea I've ever heard of[/quote]

who is Alex Faneca? for someone ive never heard of I sure hope we dont even consider signing him.... now that Alan Faneca, well he's a different story!

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='610570' date='Dec 17 2007, 05:23 AM']Isn't needed?

Well, have fun watching the Browns in the playoffs....say Hi to Steiny....we miss you![/quote]

actually not missing steiny as much as it may seem, for what gain he gave the running game, he was the guy responsible for both of carsons knee injuries. and whitworth is doing a great job. the line needs to improve, and that does mean it needs new tallent, but whitworth has been great, if we can add a whitworth caliber palyer we aerw in good shape.

Levi healthy - whitworth - whitworth caliber center? - bobbie - andrews /whitworth caliber rt?

im not a fan of sitiring things up on the oline consistancy and continuity seem to be key in success, so no shufflinggguys for me, replace the weakest link with an upgrade and let the group get to working together.

Lack of protection has nothing to do with Carson's problems. Only one team has given up fewer sacks than the Bengals.

Meanwhile the Steelers line has given up more sacks per passing attempt than EVERY team in the league.

The Bengals may have some needs on the O-line, but they are not top priority needs. I'm all for signing a top tier FA, just not an O-lineman. UNless Willie doesn't return so that we can use some of his $5 million contract we just don't have enough money to pour another $6 million a year into an OG.

Archived