[quote name='dieselman44' post='654261' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:42 PM']yea if im a Gm I have zero problem with a guy lying to my face the first time I meet him. Especially over something you deem so little such as smoking pot.

Youre a joke [color="#FF0000"][b]buddy[/b][/color].[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='texbengal' post='654169' date='Apr 19 2008, 02:22 PM']I think you're right that weed is prevalent.

What concerns me is that he's gotta know that drug testing goes on. [b]Why would you be so stupid as to continue to smoke it[/b]?

It shows a lack of discipline, which would give me pause. He's got a lot of talent, though.[/quote]

I dont smoke weed, but if he chooses to smoke he is no different than any of the family men that are members of this board whom put their careers, and families in jeopardy each time they light up. The problem here is, we put athletes, movie and music stars on a plateau and this shouldnt happen.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='654377' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:00 PM']Now that you mention it, choosing to go to scUM is just *another* piece of evidence of his poor decision making -_-[/quote]

blame clarrett. Manningham went to michigan because he refused to play with Clarrett anymore.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='654381' date='Apr 21 2008, 05:32 AM']blame clarrett. Manningham went to michigan because he refused to play with Clarrett anymore.[/quote]
:huh:

Clarett last played for OSU in 2002. Only. Manningham's freshman year was 2005.

You're a lot closer to the action there, than I am, but you're either full of crap, or he's an idiot, especially considering Clarett had been drafted in 2005, before he played a snap. ;)

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='654382' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:40 PM']:huh:

Clarett last played for OSU in 2002. Only. Manningham's freshman year was 2005.

You're a lot closer to the action there, than I am, but you're either full of crap, or he's an idiot, especially considering Clarett had been drafted in 2005, before he played a snap. ;)[/quote]

:doh: my bad, it was prescott burgess.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='654377' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:00 PM']Now that you mention it, choosing to go to scUM is just *another* piece of evidence of his poor decision making -_-[/quote]
Well, it worked out for Chris Perry, right? Surely lightining can't strike twice...can it?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='654398' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:06 AM']:doh: my bad, it was prescott burgess.[/quote]

no biggie. you had me wondering ^_^

[quote name='Bunghole' post='654418' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:43 AM']Well, it worked out for Chris Perry, right? Surely lightining can't strike twice...can it?[/quote]

is there a missing ninja here? :mellow:

[quote name='JC' post='654435' date='Apr 20 2008, 07:28 PM']Fuck manningham. I want Adrian Arrington. Arrington was better then Mario last year and Adrian is bigger and a good red zone target.[/quote]

I like arrington as a player too, but he has almost as many character red flags as manningham.

[quote][size=5][b]So the guy smoked dope. Big deal[/b][/size]

Making the radio rounds the last few weeks, two of the questions I get asked most frequently are 1) Whose stock is dropping the most heading into the draft? 2) Who’s the most underrated prospect out there?

My answer is the same for both: Michigan WR Mario Manningham. In Ann Arbor, Manningham personified greatness. He was the receiver no corner wanted to face, a silky smooth route runner adept at getting behind the secondary. He’s a receiver who put together the second most productive season in Wolverine history in 2007, quite an achievement considering all the outstanding pass catchers that have donned the maize and blue.

After his junior campaign, Manningham wisely made the decision to forego his final season of eligibility and enter the NFL draft. It’s hard to fault the guy, seeing as he was regarded as the surest thing in a receiver class bereft of a slam-dunk top prospects.

But since he tossed his name into the ring, Manningham’s stock has tumbled worse than George Bush’s approval rating. The first red flag was raised at the Combine, when Manningham clocked in the mid 4.6 range in the 40, a plodding time for a top receiver. Then, on April 8, PFW reported that Manningham twice tested positive for marijuana when in college. Not only did he test positive, but denied it when meeting with NFL team officials, and only later sent out a letter to the clubs acknowledging he wasn’t straight forward in the interview process. As PFW reported, he has been taken completely off multiple teams’ boards, and it’s only logical to assume he has been downgraded on others.

Once a lock for the middle of the first round, Mannigham now is likely a mid-second round selection. And all I can think is that whomever picks him up in the second round is going to be getting the single biggest steal in the draft.

Considering Manningham worked out considerably better at his Pro Day than he did at the Combine, the marijuana indiscretion is the far more significant issue regarding his plummeting. He’s been labeled with the dreaded “character concern,” a scarlet letter a draft boards.

Look, I understand the concerns with him. Marijuana is a banned substance in the league, and multiple positive tests results in suspension. More significant in terms of his dropping is the fact that he lied about his violations. Team officials figure, “If he lied about this, how can he be trusted in other situations?”

First things first. Out of all the players who have smoked the herb in the NFL, how many have let it screw up their careers? Outside of Ricky Williams, has there been any? Remember, a first positive test for marijuana doesn’t result in suspension, like a violation of the steroid and related substance policy does. I realize that the fact that I personally think it’s crazy the NFL bans marijuana is irrelevant, but ask yourself, is smoking pot really an indictment of your personal character?

About the dishonesty part. Should Manningham have been forthright about his history when asked about it at the Combine? Yeah, he should’ve. But give the kid a break. He was embarrassed about it, knew that answering affirmatively would affect his stock, and he panicked. At the end of the day — or, on Draft Day — what teams should be focusing on is the fact that Manningham was one of the most dominating receivers on the college gridiron over the past two years, not that he made a poor decision to lie about an issue that has little to do with his ability to succeed in the NFL.

It seems to me like NFL clubs are making a mountain out of few potent buds of grass.[/quote]

[url="http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/NFLdraft/2008/04/so_the_guy_smoked_dope_big_dea.html"]http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/NFLd...pe_big_dea.html[/url]

I'm telling you guys, there is hardly a "big name" WR out there who doesn't have red flags. Out of all the WR's I've heard about, read about, or seen.... James Hardy is the only one that seems to have started to grow up and change himself for the better.

I'd take Hardy over all the other WR's in the draft... 2nd round too (if he even lasts that long).

Limas Sweed is said to be hard working and to have good character.

That PFW piece was silly. Of course Manningham is a risky selection and shouldn't be taken on the first day. I don't remember if failed drug tests in college count or only at the combine but some players enter the league already in the substance abuse program. Remember Charles Rogers who flunked a test during his predraft period? Who could forget Onterrio Smith, the whizzinator?

Flunking drug tests is not a sign of a guy who has his act together. Lying about it is even worse since the coach can't trust what the guy says.

[quote name='sparky151' post='654549' date='Apr 21 2008, 11:14 AM']Limas Sweed is said to be hard working and to have good character.

That PFW piece was silly. Of course Manningham is a risky selection and shouldn't be taken on the first day. I don't remember if failed drug tests in college count or only at the combine but some players enter the league already in the substance abuse program. Remember Charles Rogers who flunked a test during his predraft period? Who could forget Onterrio Smith, the whizzinator?

Flunking drug tests is not a sign of a guy who has his act together. Lying about it is even worse since the coach can't trust what the guy says.[/quote]

Manningham is immature and moody....according to PFW. SOund like anyone?

Jordy Nelson and Limas Sweed are the only WRs worth a first day selection. The rest are Chad Johnsons waiting to happen.

Archived