Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Lost Skull

Paul

Just got back from watching Indiana Jones 4 and it is really cool and an great movie. It had an great plot and references from the other Indiana Jones movies. I highly recommend every one sees this movie. :hmm: This combined with what the Vatican recently said makes one wonder? :hmm:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='667493' date='May 22 2008, 06:29 AM']I saw the first three and enjoyed them, but for some reason I'm just not that pumped about this movie.[/quote]
I'm ridiculously pumped for this movie. I'm biased in that I think the Indy series is tops in the action genre. Now I just need to find a babysitter and I'll be golden!

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='667516' date='May 22 2008, 10:20 AM']I'm ridiculously pumped for this movie. I'm biased in that I think the Indy series is tops in the action genre. Now I just need to [b]find a babysitter [/b]and I'll be golden![/quote]
That and try to get mama away from that new baby!!!

In my experience, hell will freeze over before she'll let that baby out of her sight for more than a couple minutes - for the next 6 months or so... :lol:

Good luck with that!

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='667637' date='May 22 2008, 10:51 PM']Good movie.[/quote]

Good.. but not great by the series standards. I feel too much George Lucas in this film and not enough classic Spielburg. I equate the new Indiana Jones to the way CGI dominated Star Wars Episodes 1-3. Too much CGI just takes the roughness out of the film. That type of film making is what made the original films so much better.

All in all, it is definitely worth seeing, but the story leaves a lot to be desired.

On a side note, the previews for WALL-E, The Dark Knight, and Hellboy 2 look amazing.

[quote name='starkesn' post='667648' date='May 23 2008, 12:41 AM']Good.. but not great by the series standards. I feel too much George Lucas in this film and not enough classic Spielburg. I equate the new Indiana Jones to the way CGI dominated Star Wars Episodes 1-3. Too much CGI just takes the roughness out of the film. That type of film making is what made the original films so much better.

All in all, it is definitely worth seeing, but the story leaves a lot to be desired.

On a side note, the previews for WALL-E, The Dark Knight, and Hellboy 2 look amazing.[/quote]

was it a new Dark Knight trailer?

I'm curious about WALL-E. It's actually a movie Pixar came up with about 15 years ago, but sat on until they had the technology to pull it off the way they wanted to. It's supposed to be one of the best scripts for a movie Pixar has done.

I saw it last night.
1. It could have never lived up to what I wanted out of a Indy movie.
2. I feel like it has been 20 years....meaning there should be more stories in between. Indy felt out of time, like there needed to be transitions to where he was.
3. I miss the Nazi's as bad guys and some of the 'cast of characters'. I think this affected #2.
4. With the other movies, it felt a little more like a mystery being put together. The was a mystery, but the solving wasn't as clear.
5. I contend that the reason 1 & 3 were successful was partially because the mythology was somewhat familiar and ingrained in us.
6. Little too much CGI

that said
1. Harrison, as always, rocks.
2. It isn't as far away from the Indy movies as the Prequels were for Star Wars (if you know what I mean).
3. Shia actually did a fairly good job as well.
4. Some of the nods to the older films were cool.
5. The cast seemed like they genuinely had a good time.

I need to see it a few more times to completely decide what I think. Regardless of if I wanted to, I had too high of expectations (so I was somewhat disappointed). I had a good time and it is always good to watch a Indy movie, but I'm not sure that it is a GREAT Movie. I enjoyed it. I'll be curious to see what everyone else thinks.

I just watched it and thought it was pretty good considering I was watching it on a 19" monitor. :ninja:

I thought the ending was kind of corny between [spoiler]the wedding and the alien ship. I wasn't crazy about them adding aliens into the franchise.[/spoiler]

It's what you expect from an Indy film. Good action, Indy getting double crossed at least once, and Indy putting his quest for knowledge/treasure ahead of telling the enemy to fuck off and helping them anyway.

We just saw it today, I avoided everything about it like the plague ahead of time, and I absolutely liked and enjoyed this movie. We watched Raiders and Lost Crusade the last couple of days and I thought it fit very, very well with the other 3...Spielberg did a great job of remaining true to those films style-wise.

As for i-people who are crapping on the movie, I honestly have zero idea where they are coming from or what their expectations were. Quite honestly, if someone says this movie is terrible and "far worse than the other 3" I have to wonder if either 1)they never really liked the series to begin with or 2)they haven't seen any of the movies in 15 to 20 years and are remembering them with a 10 or 12-year old's memory. The problem is since Last Crusade came out Action films have been done to death and practically every stunt, angle, shwerve, etc. has been done 50 times over. Of course certain aspects of the plot and dialogue are going to seem cliche. Watch the first 3 films. Every action/adventure film in the last 20 years has stolen from or inspired by them.

With this much of a gap, they could go 2 ways with this movie. Either stay true to the other 3 or go in a radically different direction and alienate their biggest fans. I'm glad they stuck with staying authentic with how they shot the first 3. Excellent movie and I'll definitely be buying it as soon it comes out to add to the series. Definitely go see it if you liked any of the first 3.

I give it 4 pancake-rabbits.
:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='668087' date='May 25 2008, 11:14 PM']My roommates went to see then came back and went off for about 30 minutes about how they wished they could get a refund and how cheated they felt. :lol:

I will be passing this one.[/quote]

Are they under 22 years old?

Being about Aliens goes along with an major myth of the crystal skull, which is supposed to be flawless, has an ambient glow , and grants an person with supernatural powers. This goes right along with the other Indiana films in that each artifact posses unhumam powers and abilities. I think it ties together one train of thought in that the great wonders of the anicent world are paying homage to the gods(i.e. aliens). I think the bad reviews are due in trying to compare it to the originals when the first came out. With the point of aliens it is interesting timing given the vatican now allows the worship of aliens, the physcis genius thinks it is proable, and depending on what you belive something big is going to happen soon. All in all it is an kick ass action flick.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='668087' date='May 26 2008, 01:14 PM']My roommates went to see then came back and went off for about 30 minutes about how they wished they could get a refund and how cheated they felt. :lol:

I will be passing this one.[/quote]
ouch. this is what I was afraid of...

The first Indy flick was so good, words cannot describe it. We saw it twice on its opening day (no shit -_-) The rest of the flicks have been trying and failing to live up to that standard, imo. But it's not like there have been even 2-3 action flicks that good in the interim (20+ years, damn I'm getting old <_<)

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='668096' date='May 26 2008, 01:07 AM']ouch. this is what I was afraid of...

The first Indy flick was so good, words cannot describe it. We saw it twice on its opening day (no shit -_-) The rest of the flicks have been trying and failing to live up to that standard, imo. But it's not like there have been even 2-3 action flicks that good in the interim (20+ years, damn I'm getting old <_<)[/quote]

Bah...don't take the word of this youngin' If you were any fan whatsoever of the original series, watch one of them again and then go see the movie. I think it fits well in the series as long as you haven't gotten too jaded to sit back and enjoy a good action movie. If you have gotten too jaded to action movies then do your sentimental-side a favor and don't watch any of the original 3...every action flick has lifted from them in the past 20 years.

[quote name='BurnsBengal' post='668149' date='May 27 2008, 05:15 AM']Bah...don't take the word of this youngin' If you were any fan whatsoever of the original series, watch one of them again and then go see the movie. I think it fits well in the series as long as you haven't gotten too jaded to sit back and enjoy a good action movie. If you have gotten too jaded to action movies then do your sentimental-side a favor and don't watch any of the original 3...every action flick has lifted from them in the past 20 years.[/quote]
Oh, I'll see it at some point. I'm just not sure if it will be in the theater, or on DVD. I haven't been to a theater in over 2 years.

I watched the original again not too long ago. Still one of my favs. B)

Archived