"The Dark Knight"

Go Skins

I just saw it on Friday. Loved the feeling of "gritty realism." No whimsy here, just plausible terror. I thoroughly enjoyed it although it seemed a little long.

Also, Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was great--very disturbing. Here was a being with no redeeming qualities at all.

[spoiler]I thought it was really cool how he lied about how he got the scars. The story about the dad giving them seemed true, until the wife account. That really brought home the complete lack of humanity of the character for me. [/spoiler]

Have to jump in here despite the flaming I'm about to receive. But allow me to comment on the easy stuff 1st.

I love the blackout for spoilers. Spoilers are the pits when all you want to do is discuss. So to whomever said not to have them should keep in mind that this thread came out before the movie release so people talking had not seen it yet. Those same people may come back for a review without wanting it ruined.

On to the movie. IT was freakin' outstanding! Agree with all the praise. However, I do not think that this Joker portrayal couldn't be accomplished by someone else. I agree it would be hard to see someone else in the role now that we've experienced Heath. However, Heath did not invent this Joker... this Joker was invented in the comics and screenplay actually allowed for that depiction. Nicholson was not asked to do this type of Joker due to the "Tim Burton" effect.

Nicholson was doing "crazy" long before Ledger and Ledger movies in general have stunk before this one. Again! Heath was freaking awesome in TDK and deserves all the praise. But lets not act like he invented this type of role. A lot of it was handed to him. Any great actor worth his weight could've come in and made the Joker role dark, scary, demented. (See Deniro in Cape Fear).

Anyway, it is now in the hallows of greatest films ever in my book up with Raiders, the Matrix, and several others. I'm not hard to please when it comes to movies.

I can't wait to see it again! I too was ready to go again right after my 1st viewing.

If they do Joker again (which I don't believe they will) they will have to revisit down the road again because no matter how good the next guy will be he'll never be given credit if he follows immediately.

When Heath Ledger was announced for this role the majority of America let out a collective "Huh? Seriously" and the majority of people I talked to said that there is no way he can do it better than Nicholson before even given a chance. Obviously they were wrong. We may be wrong too when the next guy lines up and we respond with "huh? no way can it be better than Ledger"

My two cents. Flame ON!

P.S. When they 1st announce Michael Caine I though I'd hate him in the role of Alfred. Now I couldn't imagine anyone else. Morgan Freeman is great too! He was in an accident today, hope all is well on his end.

[spoiler]"Let me get this straight: You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who beats criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to blackmail this person? Good luck. "[/spoiler]

Classic!

JRock476, I agree. I think there are other actors that could do Joker very well. To me the main thing is that the part was well written. A guy I think could do a very good job is Paul Bettany (played Chaucer in "A Knights Tale" and has played other villians previously). With the makeup, and his similar build, if the part is again well written, I think he could do a great job as well.

[quote name='JRock476' post='684253' date='Aug 4 2008, 02:49 PM']Have to jump in here despite the flaming I'm about to receive. But allow me to comment on the easy stuff 1st.

I love the blackout for spoilers. Spoilers are the pits when all you want to do is discuss. So to whomever said not to have them should keep in mind that this thread came out before the movie release so people talking had not seen it yet. Those same people may come back for a review without wanting it ruined.

On to the movie. IT was freakin' outstanding! Agree with all the praise. However, I do not think that this Joker portrayal couldn't be accomplished by someone else. I agree it would be hard to see someone else in the role now that we've experienced Heath. However, Heath did not invent this Joker... this Joker was invented in the comics and screenplay actually allowed for that depiction. Nicholson was not asked to do this type of Joker due to the "Tim Burton" effect.

Nicholson was doing "crazy" long before Ledger and Ledger movies in general have stunk before this one. Again! Heath was freaking awesome in TDK and deserves all the praise. But lets not act like he invented this type of role. A lot of it was handed to him. Any great actor worth his weight could've come in and made the Joker role dark, scary, demented. (See Deniro in Cape Fear).

Anyway, it is now in the hallows of greatest films ever in my book up with Raiders, the Matrix, and several others. I'm not hard to please when it comes to movies.

I can't wait to see it again! I too was ready to go again right after my 1st viewing.

If they do Joker again (which I don't believe they will) they will have to revisit down the road again because no matter how good the next guy will be he'll never be given credit if he follows immediately.

When Heath Ledger was announced for this role the majority of America let out a collective "Huh? Seriously" and the majority of people I talked to said that there is no way he can do it better than Nicholson before even given a chance. Obviously they were wrong. We may be wrong too when the next guy lines up and we respond with "huh? no way can it be better than Ledger"

My two cents. Flame ON!

P.S. When they 1st announce Michael Caine I though I'd hate him in the role of Alfred. Now I couldn't imagine anyone else. Morgan Freeman is great too! He was in an accident today, hope all is well on his end.

[spoiler]"Let me get this straight: You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who beats criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to blackmail this person? Good luck. "[/spoiler]

Classic![/quote]

while i agree that others could have done a good job, i dont think anyone would have done it as good as heath. from all the reading and research i do regarding movies heath ledger puts more time into becoming his character by research and and practice and so on more than any actor right now. many of the best things that the joker did in the movie, christopher nolan said were done by ledger during filming and they chose to keep them because they were so brilliant. it was all the small things that heath added that made it so phenomenal. also jack nicholson wasnt really acting in batman 89 imo, that seems to be how he is in many of his movies lol. i love nicholson but i didnt think he was so untouchable like others did. i was iffy about heath at first because i didnt know how a "pretty boy" could be a dark joker, but i changed my opinion as soon as i saw the first picture released of him.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='684270' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:43 PM']while i agree that others could have done a good job, i dont think anyone would have done it as good as heath. from all the reading and research i do regarding movies heath ledger puts more time into becoming his character by research and and practice and so on more than any actor right now. many of the best things that the joker did in the movie, christopher nolan said were done by ledger during filming and they chose to keep them because they were so brilliant. it was all the small things that heath added that made it so phenomenal. also jack nicholson wasnt really acting in batman 89 imo, that seems to be how he is in many of his movies lol. i love nicholson but i didnt think he was so untouchable like others did. i was iffy about heath at first because i didnt know how a "pretty boy" could be a dark joker, but i changed my opinion as soon as i saw the first picture released of him.[/quote]

the only thing I read he added was the scene in the jail cell where he was clapping for gordon's promotion. what else did he add himself?

[quote name='JRock476' post='684253' date='Aug 4 2008, 02:49 PM']Have to jump in here despite the flaming I'm about to receive. But allow me to comment on the easy stuff 1st.

My two cents. Flame ON!

Classic![/quote]

I can proudly say that I was one of the few who thought Heath would do well in the role when it was first announced (though not nearly as good as he did). Just in some of the photos you saw of him in the past, you could see a demented grin, so you know right away he could pull off the look. The acting was far better than I expected. You completely forget its even him.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='684298' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:56 PM']the only thing I read he added was the scene in the jail cell where he was clapping for gordon's promotion. what else did he add himself?[/quote]

taking the glass in bruce waynes penthouse, the hello beautiful and hair flip, the use of different stories to sell that no one knows the jokers past, the thing with his tongue, the use of many different laughs, and there is more but i forget the rest. i read a huge list of them that nolan talked about.

[quote name='Go Skins' post='679671' date='Jul 17 2008, 11:05 PM']I saw it on Wed. night at the Uptown with 830 people in Washington, DC.

Is the movie good, yes, is it great, nope. It is hard to compare Heath and Nicholson because it was completely different protrayals of the Joker character. Heath is more true to the comic, and Nicholson was comedic. Both have good one liners (Heath uses a line from "Jerry McGuire" of all things). I thought the plot somewhat jumped around in parts, and things could have been taken out to make the story work a little better. It is 2 1/2 hours.

I don't think Heath will get an Oscar nomination for this, but who knows with the Nov/Dec releases whether the competition may be weak.[/quote]

Heath is dead. Of course he'll get a nomination. He'll be portrayed as the greatest actor that has ever lived. Death can do wonderful things.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='684399' date='Aug 5 2008, 02:08 AM']Heath is dead. Of course he'll get a nomination. He'll be portrayed as the greatest actor that has ever lived. Death can do wonderful things.
MULLY[/quote]

he EARNED a nomination but i dont think he will get one. u seem to only get nominated now if u are in a movie that is "artistic" and no one liked it.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='684399' date='Aug 5 2008, 03:08 AM']Heath is dead. Of course he'll get a nomination. He'll be portrayed as the greatest actor that has ever lived. Death can do wonderful things.
MULLY[/quote]
Yeah, and you'll probably get that douchebag nomination even if you don't die.

Anyways...I also heard in an interview with Christopher Nolan, that on the scenes where the Joker had the guy captive and was filming it on the handycam, that they actually just gave Heath the camera and just wanted to see what he would do with it.

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='684404' date='Aug 5 2008, 03:44 AM']Yeah, and you'll probably get that douchebag nomination even if you don't die.

[b]
Anyways...I also heard in an interview with Christopher Nolan, that on the scenes where the Joker had the guy captive and was filming it on the handycam, that they actually just gave Heath the camera and just wanted to see what he would do with it.[/b][/quote]

Nice, i didnt hear that one.

I saw it in IMAX on Friday night (Chantilly, VA) and there were 4 scenes (the opening scene is one of them) shot all in IMAX. There were some overhead/scenic shots as well in IMAX. However, I think I sat a little too close to the screen to get the full effect. The action seemed jerky, but again, I think I was in a bad spot. I am not sure if sitting at the highest point would have helped, but sitting up another 5 rows would have made a difference.

[quote name='Go Skins' post='686043' date='Aug 10 2008, 03:02 PM']I saw it in IMAX on Friday night (Chantilly, VA) and there were 4 scenes (the opening scene is one of them) shot all in IMAX. There were some overhead/scenic shots as well in IMAX. However, I think I sat a little too close to the screen to get the full effect. The action seemed jerky, but again, I think I was in a bad spot. I am not sure if sitting at the highest point would have helped, but sitting up another 5 rows would have made a difference.[/quote]
I saw the last of the Matrix movies in IMAX in Vegas, sitting in the top row, iirc, and found the same thing to be true. I just didn't enjoy the experience, to be honest.

[quote name='Go Skins' post='686043' date='Aug 10 2008, 12:02 AM']I saw it in IMAX on Friday night (Chantilly, VA) and there were 4 scenes (the opening scene is one of them) shot all in IMAX. There were some overhead/scenic shots as well in IMAX. However, I think I sat a little too close to the screen to get the full effect. The action seemed jerky, but again, I think I was in a bad spot. I am not sure if sitting at the highest point would have helped, but sitting up another 5 rows would have made a difference.[/quote]

yea the first time I saw it I was in the 2nd round (not IMAX mind you) and I enjoyed it much more the 2nd time I saw it, about 3/4ths the way up the seats.

• 2 weeks later...
The original script: [url="http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com/2008/08/dark-knight-original-script-online.html"]http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com/2008/...ipt-online.html[/url]

For those of you who are wondering, in the original script [spoiler] Two Face/Dent is really dead at the end, with a broken neck [/spoiler] Whether they adhere to that, we'll see.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='690028' date='Aug 21 2008, 01:58 PM']The original script: [url="http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com...pt-online.html"]http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com...pt-online.html[/url]

For those of you who are wondering, in the original script [spoiler] Two Face/Dent is really dead at the end, with a broken neck [/spoiler] Whether they adhere to that, we'll see.[/quote]

whens the last time a movie followed its original script? i think he will be back.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='690028' date='Aug 21 2008, 02:58 PM']The original script: [url="http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com...pt-online.html"]http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com...pt-online.html[/url]

For those of you who are wondering, in the original script [spoiler] Two Face/Dent is really dead at the end, with a broken neck [/spoiler] Whether they adhere to that, we'll see.[/quote]

That link doesn't work.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='690434' date='Aug 22 2008, 09:48 PM']should work now. Also, while this is fan made, its still pretty cool:

[img]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m28/stckiller/darkknight-returns-fan-poster.jpg[/img][/quote]

Good find on the script.....it will be interesting once a 3rd one is officially announced what they do.

Archived