How much is gas where you live?

BengalBacker

[quote name='Bunghole' post='723832' date='Nov 16 2008, 09:48 AM']The worst thing about the car is it's highway MPG (at real hwy speeds). It's a 5-speed manual and the way Toyota geared this thing, it's pulling 4,000rpms in 5th gear at 80mph. My other manly vehicle, a Grand Caravan, pulls exactly 2,000rpms at the same speed. So I try to drive the Scion around town as much as possible, in 4th and 5th gear. I don't want to wear the squirrels out too soon.[/quote]

How you gonna complain about the mileage when you drive 80 mph!?!

I looked at xA's a couple years ago when I was buying, but 'used' ended up being more like my price range. I still got a 4 cylinder hatchback, though, and I agree it is slightly annoying that the engine is always screaming at high speeds; 6 cylinders, like your minivan, are much more comfortable for touring in that regard. Still, and this might be obvious, but even with the engine screaming, you'll be getting better mileage on the expressway than on city streets.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='724751' date='Nov 16 2008, 09:02 PM']How you gonna complain about the mileage when you drive 80 mph!?!

I looked at xA's a couple years ago when I was buying, but 'used' ended up being more like my price range. I still got a 4 cylinder hatchback, though, and I agree it is slightly annoying that the engine is always screaming at high speeds; 6 cylinders, like your minivan, are much more comfortable for touring in that regard. Still, and this might be obvious, but even with the engine screaming, you'll be getting better mileage on the expressway than on city streets.[/quote]
Totally not true. It is completely a function of the way the car is geared. Automatic Scion Xa's peg 3000rpm's at that same speed (80 mph...and Jesus dude, the limit in Indiana is 70...). This particular car is geared badly for high speed driving. I've owned several 4 cylinder cars that were all manual transmissions and this is the first one like this.

I'm telling you, I get better mileage going 50mph in a 40mph zone in 5th gear than I do going ten over the limit on Indiana's 70mph interstates in the same gear.

The engine is working harder than it should.

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' post='723818' date='Nov 16 2008, 02:05 PM']Had to chuckle at that one. "WALKED" by a gas station. Hell I guess so
at $5.67 a gallon!![/quote]

I know what you mean, but here you don't have to use a car to do 95% of your day to day activities. I walked past the gas station because it's between the supermarket and my apartment. The amazing thing is there are no parking lots...just underground garages, so it's not like walking past a wasteland

[quote name='Bunghole' post='724753' date='Nov 16 2008, 09:06 PM']Totally not true. It is completely a function of the way the car is geared. Automatic Scion Xa's peg 3000rpm's at that same speed (80 mph...and Jesus dude, the limit in Indiana is 70...). This particular car is geared badly for high speed driving. I've owned several 4 cylinder cars that were all manual transmissions and this is the first one like this.

I'm telling you, I get better mileage going 50mph in a 40mph zone in 5th gear than I do going ten over the limit on Indiana's 70mph interstates in the same gear.

The engine is working harder than it should.[/quote]

Four cylinder engines are almost universally going to run at higher rpm than their 6 cylinder counterparts at high speeds. And of course you get better mileage at 50 mph than at 80! The 'sweet spot' for most cars is probably between 50 - 55 mph; the faster you go above this, the lower your mileage gets. The question is, does the constant stopping and starting, plus idling at traffic lights, make up for the savings you see while under way?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='724753' date='Nov 16 2008, 10:06 PM']Totally not true. It is completely a function of the way the car is geared. Automatic Scion Xa's peg 3000rpm's at that same speed (80 mph...and Jesus dude, the limit in Indiana is 70...). This particular car is geared badly for high speed driving. I've owned several 4 cylinder cars that were all manual transmissions and this is the first one like this.

The engine is working harder than it should.[/quote]

What year is your scion?

I think it has the same engine as our 2000 Celica. Except hopefully it doesn't burn oil like ours...

But it definitely revs high when driving down the highway. I'm afraid to take it anywhere far for fear that it will burn all of it's oil before I get there. Piece of shit.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='724959' date='Nov 17 2008, 01:50 PM']What year is your scion?

I think it has the same engine as our 2000 Celica. Except hopefully it doesn't burn oil like ours...

But it definitely revs high when driving down the highway. I'm afraid to take it anywhere far for fear that it will burn all of it's oil before I get there. Piece of shit.[/quote]
It's a 2006. It has the 1.5L vvti engine, the same motor that powered the awe-inspiring Toyota Echo. Doubt it's the same motor as a Celica's. I believe theirs are bigger.

I just got my new car the other day, Honda Crossroad, and tonight was my first fill up. I put a hundred in the prepay machine and got 52 back. Wooohooo!! I think the price was 118yen per litre so..............3.8 litre's per gallon and the exchange rate right now is.........96 yen per dollar so I paid.........3.64 per gallon........which isn't bad for this country.
MULLY

[quote name='Go Skins' post='725410' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:09 PM']And you still spent too much, 1.67 at the Sheetz on PW Parkway. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

and probabally less than that at costco if i got a membership, but then were talking about a 12-15 minute drive to go get gass

[quote name='VonBlade' post='725416' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:27 PM']Nope Bung. We're priced in litres over here so I just multiplied the price in litres by the 3.8 Mully gave us above, then converted it from GBP to USD.

Afraid it's just expensive over here :D[/quote]
Oh I knew that, I just like referencing anything English as "Imperial", since, you know, I'm just a lowly colonist.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='725457' date='Nov 19 2008, 09:56 PM']Oh I knew that, I just like referencing anything English as "Imperial", since, you know, I'm just a lowly colonist.[/quote]

Bloody good show old chap. Have you still got that shipment of tea I sent to Boston?

:whistle:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='725346' date='Nov 19 2008, 11:36 PM']Gas prices fall again...I saw $1.62/gal on my way into work in Western Hills this morning. Unbelievable...when will the falling prices stop?

Also VB, you're pumping [i]Imperial Gallons[/i], so you know, they're bigger and all.

:)[/quote]

Whoa, imperial gallons. That sounds bigger.
MULLY
Go Western Hills!!

Archived