FA Centers?

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='737015' date='Jan 1 2009, 04:06 PM']:lol:

whatever happend to Bently ? is he done for in the league ?[/quote]

I'd imagine he's never going to be right... for him to be the stud he was and since he was hurt you know several, several teams have all had him in to work out and nobody has signed him? He's permanently broken.

I'd be surprised if Saturday makes free agency... but, if he's available I'd like to give him a look. He'd be a good leader and he made all the calls in Mannings offense... good enough for me.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='737104' date='Jan 2 2009, 06:19 AM']...
could be a great offseason.[/quote]

Now that's optimism!

:lol: Funniest thing I've read all year... well, at least so far...

[quote name='cms' post='737110' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:03 AM']Now that's optimism!

:lol: Funniest thing I've read all year... well, at least so far...[/quote]

but not too far off. You saw the willingness last year to try and get an impact DT, and they also got a starting DE and a pass-catching TE (along with bringing in some LB depth which has helped with Brandon J). So they made attempts to fill holes last off-season. Its not out of line to think they'll pursue atleast one big name this offseason whether its by free agency or trade.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='737012' date='Jan 1 2009, 02:49 PM']Jason Brown, Matt Birk, Jeff Saturday, Brad Meester[/quote]
I must admit when it comes to other teams players I am lost. Out of these guys who do you think can hold up against this divisions massive NTs? The only center on that list I am somewhat familiar with is Saturday. You know how smart he is just by who he's been playing with for all these years but once again, is he stout enough to hold up to our division rivals defenses?

All four are top tier centers

1. Brown - not the best but the youngest
2. Jeff Saturday - Best overall center in Pass protection and probably blocking schemes
3. Matt Birk - Best Run blocker but not likely to leave Minnesota
4. Meester - not too familiar with him

I would really prefer Brown if we go after a C. He is young and go be a good long term solution.

[quote name='cms' post='737110' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:03 AM']Now that's optimism!

im sure theres some lame reason you find it so funny, most likely one that goes along with some other lame idea that we needed some overpriced player in free agency int he past, etc..

my great offseason comment isnt based solely on the FA center idea, but what will be done with TJ and chad and co .. and the ability to add a FA center instead of a talented rookie one is an entire year of development improvement. not just in skill, understanding, gelling with palmer, etc, but in leadership and understanding nfl defense masking and hiding blitzes, etc.

a smart rookie isnt behind as much of an 8ball with these things since he hs 5 comrads(counting palmer) to help with reads, but knowing the game will be a huge skipped step.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='737160' date='Jan 2 2009, 01:29 PM']im sure theres some lame reason you find it so funny, most likely one that goes along with some other lame idea that we needed some overpriced player in free agency int he past, etc..

my great offseason comment isnt based solely on the FA center idea, but what will be done with TJ and chad and co .. and the ability to add a FA center instead of a talented rookie one is an entire year of development improvement. not just in skill, understanding, gelling with palmer, etc, but in leadership and understanding nfl defense masking and hiding blitzes, etc.

a smart rookie isnt behind as much of an 8ball with these things since he hs 5 comrads(counting palmer) to help with reads, but knowing the game will be a huge skipped step.[/quote]

Ideally, I want a FA center and to draft a C in the 2nd or 3rd round........Unger or Mack would be great.....let the rookie learn behind the vet for a year or two, and take over when ready. Even let him play some guard at times to get him in the game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='737125' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:51 AM']You saw the [b]willingness[/b] last year to try and get an impact DT, and they also got a starting DE and a pass-catching TE (along with bringing in some LB depth which has helped with Brandon J). So they made attempts to fill holes last off-season. Its not out of line to think they'll pursue atleast one big name this offseason whether its by free agency or trade.[/quote]

Yes, there was willingness. There was also yet another failure (or was it failures?) to actually land an impact DT.

I can understand why Mikey isn't wild about signing free agents. He badly overpaid for both Odom and Utecht based off the prodcution he received in 2008.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='737172' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:57 PM']Yes, there was willingness. There was also yet another failure (or was it failures?) to actually land an impact DT.

I can understand why Mikey isn't wild about signing free agents. He badly overpaid for both Odom and Utecht based off the prodcution he received in 2008.[/quote]

The Bengals weren't the ones who screwed up the Rogers deal. And the Robertson deal falling through was because he failed a physical, and based on his performance this year, it falling through was a blessing in disguise.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='737172' date='Jan 2 2009, 01:57 PM']Yes, there was willingness. There was also yet another failure (or was it failures?) to actually land an impact DT.

I can understand why Mikey isn't wild about signing free agents. He badly overpaid for both Odom and Utecht based off the prodcution he received in 2008.[/quote]

Actually, I think we got the impact DT in Sims, and by having the additional 5th rounder we would have traded, we got another potential( yeah, I know our track record w/ potential) in Shirley. Sims did at least make one of the NFL Rookie teams, even ahead of the franchise savior, Ellis.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='737179' date='Jan 2 2009, 01:44 PM']Actually, I think we got the impact DT in Sims, and by having the additional 5th rounder we would have traded, we got another potential( yeah, I know our track record w/ potential) in Shirley. Sims did at least make one of the NFL Rookie teams, even ahead of the franchise savior, Ellis.[/quote]

I was talking about free agency, not the draft.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='737160' date='Jan 2 2009, 05:59 PM']im sure theres some lame reason you find it so funny, most likely one that goes along with some other lame idea that we needed some overpriced player in free agency int he past, etc..

a smart rookie isnt behind as much of an 8ball with these things since he hs 5 comrads(counting palmer) to help with reads, but knowing the game will be a huge skipped step.[/quote]

Well, I've been a fan since '88 so I guess I have about 20 years - give or take a few - of lame excuses. But my hat's off to your optimism. I wish I had it, but I somehow find myself in limbo-non-believer-land, and frankly I want to see something happen with real proof of something before I'll believe it. But honestly I don't think it'll be a great offseason. Maybe if we fired everybody - give or take a few....

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='737186' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:54 PM']I was talking about free agency, not the draft.[/quote]

Those were the two picks we were going to trade to get either of those players. See, Free agency and the draft are often interconnected. Additionally, neither of those two players(Rogers or Robertson) were free agents, those woul have been straight trades.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='737194' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:57 PM']Those were the two picks we were going to trade to get either of those players. See, Free agency and the draft are often interconnected. Additionally, neither of those two players(Rogers or Robertson) were free agents, those woul have been straight trades.[/quote]

I used the term "Free Agency" because I felt it encompassed the whole offseason period. Trades occur in free agency in the offseason as well as during the regular season up until the trading deadline so I guess I could have been more specific.

Anyhow, I don't consider using third and fifth round picks as attempts to land an impact DT. It could turn out that way if Sims/Shirley wind up as impact players once they fully develop. In fact, I hope this is this case. But you know what they say about hope. You can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='737201' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:00 PM']I used the term "Free Agency" because I felt it encompassed the whole offseason period. Trades occur in free agency in the offseason as well as during the regular season up until the trading deadline so I guess I could have been more specific.

[b]Anyhow, I don't consider using third and fifth round picks as attempts to land an impact DT[/b]. It could turn out that way if Sims/Shirley wind up as impact players once they fully develop. In fact, I hope this is this case. But you know what they say about hope. You can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.[/quote]

This doesn't make any sense.

Using 3rd and 5th rounders to go after Rodgers (who had a very checkered career at the time that we went after him) is an attempt to get an impact dt, but drafting two guys isn't?

Don't sell next year short.Mike has to spend some money on F/A's to quiet the fans and next years schedule will be less challenging than '08.

[quote name='mjm47' post='737203' date='Jan 2 2009, 04:06 PM']This doesn't make any sense.

Using 3rd and 5th rounders to go after Rodgers (who had a very checkered career at the time that we went after him) is an attempt to get an impact dt, but drafting two guys isn't?[/quote]

Rodgers also had years of experience in the NFL and a Pro Bowl appearence. Look, I wouldn't expect a third round or fifth round pick to come in as a rookie and have a big impact. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Absolutely not, even from first rounders. Nothing you get out of a rookie or free agent is guaranteed, but at least free agents have a track record to base a projection around and it's more reasonable, in my opinion, to expect early results from them.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='737104' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:19 AM']if we are ever going to grab a good FA center... this is going to be the year... there is some urgency i would think in the career department with many coaches like marv & co to get things done..

could be a great offseason.[/quote]

Agreed. If team starts slowly again, coaches will be fired post 2009. The team has plenty of cap room, perhaps as much as 30 million before re-signing our own free agents.

Archived