Free Agency a month away...

[quote name='turningpoint' post='743310' date='Jan 30 2009, 01:10 PM']WOW this is such a horrible post.

TJ will want 10million a year.
Jacobs 7million a year
Benson 5 million a year.

So we now have no cap room to draft anyone or sign anyone else, and if anyone get's injured o well we'll play with less players.

Do you know anything about the salary cap?

Stacey isn't even on the team anymore and we'll be lucky if he can play opening day, [color="#FF0000"]like palmer.[/color]

We'd be lucky to get a4th rounder for Levi jones and his bum knee.[/quote]

Uhm no.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='743321' date='Jan 30 2009, 01:58 PM']Uhm no.[/quote]

Uhmm yes.

He has damn near the same injury and it was suffered at nearly the same time.

He'd be lucky to see the field opening day like Palmer was lucky to see it (he just happened to make by the 2nd or 3rd preseason game, i forget which one it was)

That's about all the way it's the same it's also different in a lot of ways in which way they play, yeah i know this.

Such a horrible post? Where in the world did you come up with your numbers?

The Bengals have plenty of cap room and can make more than 1-2 free agent signings, especially considering one of the players mentioned is a resigned player who counted against the cap the previous year. We also don't have Stacy's franchise tag counting towards the cap.

If you get Jacobs it isn't necessary to have a Benson. Benson isn't getting 5 million a year unless someone is out of their mind. Don't forget he is one incident away from a serious suspension, just like Henry. My guess is Benson does a 2 yr deal around 6 mill and hopes dor one huge payday after that.

Jacobs is a locker-room leader and perfect for our division.

Is that you Hobson?

[quote name='TonyAPBTx' post='743325' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:13 PM']Such a horrible post? Where in the world did you come up with your numbers?

The Bengals have plenty of cap room and can make more than 1-2 free agent signings, especially considering one of the players mentioned is a resigned player who counted against the cap the previous year. We also don't have Stacy's franchise tag counting towards the cap.

If you get Jacobs it isn't necessary to have a Benson. Benson isn't getting 5 million a year unless someone is out of their mind. Don't forget he is one incident away from a serious suspension, just like Henry. My guess is Benson does a 2 yr deal around 6 mill and hopes dor one huge payday after that.

Jacobs is a locker-room leader and perfect for our division.

Is that you Hobson?[/quote]

LOL ok we still only have $22 million availible, they take this number from players still under contract. TJ, Stacey, Graham and Benson aren't figured into that cap figure because as it stands they aren't under contract with the bengals.

So we have $22 million, and about $10-12million of that needs to go to our rookie pool and injury pool, especially with us having such a high draft pick.

We have about 10 million left. I'm hoping we put 2-4 of that in graham lock him up, put 1-2 of that into Crocker and lock him up. Give thorton the 10year vet minimum of 850K, that leaves us with about $5 million left to sign benson, Tj and jacobs.

GL dude.

Yeah maybe I am hobson because I actually understand the salary cap unlike 98% of the unreasonable fans out there.

Call me Hobson all you want, but does it surprise anyone else that he's right every year?

[quote name='turningpoint' post='743324' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:10 PM']Uhmm yes.

He has damn near the same injury and it was suffered at nearly the same time.

He'd be lucky to see the field opening day like Palmer was lucky to see it (he just happened to make by the 2nd or 3rd preseason game, i forget which one it was)

That's about all the way it's the same it's also different in a lot of ways in which way they play, yeah i know this.[/quote]

I think I may have read your post wrong. Stacey yes will have a hard time seeing it opening day, Carson will be playing. (I had this argument with someone who is of the wait and see opinion on that, thats why I highlighted Carsons name and not Stacey's)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='743328' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:25 PM']I think I may have read your post wrong. Stacey yes will have a hard time seeing it opening day, Carson will be playing. (I had this argument with someone who is of the wait and see opinion on that, thats why I highlighted Carsons name and not Stacey's)[/quote]

Why it's absolutely retarded for anyone to think they can claim Stacet Andrews is a valid option at RT.

We don' have a RT right now as it stands, and we have an injured left Tackle in Levi Jones.

It's really imperative that we find help in the draft or in FA and we find it soon, unless collins can come and levi and come in and prove they can play. IMO Marvin will put trust in them to be ready, but i sure as hell hope not as much as last year.

You think Hobson is the only one who correctly picks that nothing will be done FA this year? I think about 90% of this board picks that correctly on a yearly basis but hopes otherwise.

You are assuming no players get cut and the salary cap gets expanded on a yearly basis (well at least until this year). You think Chad and Levi will both be getting paid by the Bengals this year at their current contracts?

It is possible to make moves. Watch Free Agency this year and you will see it happen. Teams that were supposed to be close to the salary cap and unable to do anything will creatively make a move. It is possible for the Bengals to be active in FA, just not probable.

We aren't one of those teams that are close to being under the salary cap either.

I predict the Bengals won't be active in FA this year. Maybe on the trade front for a draft pick or two, but not in free agency.

[quote name='TonyAPBTx' post='743330' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:30 PM']You think Hobson is the only one who correctly picks that nothing will be done FA this year? I think about 90% of this board picks that correctly on a yearly basis but hopes otherwise.

You are assuming no players get cut and the salary cap gets expanded on a yearly basis (well at least until this year). You think Chad and Levi will both be getting paid by the Bengals this year at their current contracts?

It is possible to make moves. Watch Free Agency this year and you will see it happen. Teams that were supposed to be close to the salary cap and unable to do anything will creatively make a move. It is possible for the Bengals to be active in FA, just not probable.

We aren't one of those teams that are close to being under the salary cap either.

I predict the Bengals won't be active in FA this year. Maybe on the trade front for a draft pick or two, but not in free agency.[/quote]

No I'm not, I'm sure everyone does, becauseMarvin has gone under record that you build a team through the draft not FA.

Chad will for sure be getting paid by the bengals, his contract is a steal right now, unless we trade him.

I could see us cutting Levi, but how much cap room will that save us? I have no idea.

it's very possible we make moves but we never do, we're an extremely conservative team, which plagues us at times, but it also keeps us out of trouble.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='743329' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:29 PM']Why it's absolutely retarded for anyone to think they can claim Stacet Andrews is a valid option at RT.

We don' have a RT right now as it stands, and we have an injured left Tackle in Levi Jones.

It's really imperative that we find help in the draft or in FA and we find it soon, unless collins can come and levi and come in and prove they can play. IMO Marvin will put trust in them to be ready, but i sure as hell hope not as much as last year.[/quote]

You never know, but I dont think Stacey will go anywhere either, I'd offer him a 2 year vet minium.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='743327' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:22 PM']LOL ok we still only have $22 million availible, they take this number from players still under contract. TJ, Stacey, Graham and Benson aren't figured into that cap figure because as it stands they aren't under contract with the bengals.

So we have $22 million, and about $10-12million of that needs to go to our rookie pool and injury pool, especially with us having such a high draft pick.

We have about 10 million left. I'm hoping we put 2-4 of that in graham lock him up, put 1-2 of that into Crocker and lock him up. Give thorton the 10year vet minimum of 850K, that leaves us with about $5 million left to sign benson, Tj and jacobs.

GL dude.

Yeah maybe I am hobson because I actually understand the salary cap unlike 98% of the unreasonable fans out there.

Call me Hobson all you want, but does it surprise anyone else that he's right every year?[/quote]

Hobson is consistently wrong about how much cap room the Bengals have. Reserving 10-12 mil for rookies and injuries is absurd. The rookie pool will be 6-7 mil for the Bengals but the rookies will displace veterans whose salaries are saved. The rookies net cost will probably be less than 3 mil.

Cutting Levi will save the Bengals a small sum, around 1 mil. Crocker should cost less than 2 mil on next year's cap and Benson around that. Those guys were on the street last offseason, play positions that aren't highly paid, and have lots of competition from rookies and other street guys. They are solid vets, not playmakers like Polamalu or Peterson.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='743362' date='Jan 30 2009, 05:18 PM']c'mon Brandon Jacobs!

I'd love if we got him...[/quote]

Of all the Giant running backs I would think he's the one they'd most want to retain..
I like Jacobs too but damn he runs high....like to see him bend just a bit ...be even more scary than he allready is....could lesson injury concerns too.

If B. Jacobs is a Bengal Troy P. is out of the NFL in 2 seasons with concussions.

Even if it isn't Jacobs we need a man in the backfield. Someone who is going to get the first down on 3rd and 1 and at least fall forward on every play. This is very important against the defenses we play. I hear Rudi Johnson is available.. :)

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='743260' date='Jan 30 2009, 08:40 AM']Not a big Derrick Ward fan...atleast as a #1/#2 guy on our team. Ward has never had a good game in which Jacobs didn't play. Whenever Jacobs is out and Ward is the starter, he's less than impressive. He's a complimentary guy that I wouldn't want to target as our #1.

Tauscher is coming off major leg injuries, I want an older vet like him, but ideally one not coming off a major injury.

I beleive Toomer will retire, that seems to be the general consensus amongst NY media. But if we did dump both WRs we need to bring in atleast one vet somewhere.

I don't think Vilma did that well for the Saints...thats a no win situation anyway, beacuse he was traded with a clause and if he performed well enough they give the Jets a higher pick (not sure what round) so if that did happen this year I doubt they let him walk and if it didn't happen then he's probably not that good anymore (since the injury) and we could target better LBs (Dansby, Scott, Lewis) in FA.[/quote]
Vilma must have done something down there because he's being touted as the answer in the middle for that franchise and everybody was actually happy when he got his DUI because it might mean the Saints can get him cheaper now.
Ward and Benson? That should be doable at least from money standpoint, though I doubt the Bengals would sign two free agent RBs. I really like Ward's versatility and with Carson throwing the ball he could be a more durable Chris Perry type player. I think he'd be the second best back in the division as long as Cleveland doesn't spend big or draft a great runner.
I would really love to get Benson and Ricky Williams in the same backfield.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='743310' date='Jan 30 2009, 01:10 PM']WOW this is such a horrible post.

TJ will want 10million a year.
Jacobs 7million a year
Benson 5 million a year.

So we now have no cap room to draft anyone or sign anyone else, and if anyone get's injured o well we'll play with less players.

Do you know anything about the salary cap?

Stacey isn't even on the team anymore and we'll be lucky if he can play opening day, like palmer.

We'd be lucky to get a4th rounder for Levi jones and his bum knee.[/quote]
Get over yourself. You don't know as much as you think you do.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='743403' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:57 PM']Vilma must have done something down there because he's being touted as the answer in the middle for that franchise and everybody was actually happy when he got his DUI because it might mean the Saints can get him cheaper now.
Ward and Benson? That should be doable at least from money standpoint, though I doubt the Bengals would sign two free agent RBs. I really like Ward's versatility and with Carson throwing the ball he could be a more durable Chris Perry type player. I think he'd be the second best back in the division as long as Cleveland doesn't spend big or draft a great runner.
I would really love to get Benson and Ricky Williams in the same backfield.[/quote]
Yeah apparently Saints fans unamimously agree that Vilma was their best defensive player in 2008 and a lock to get resigned. The only reason he has not been resigned yet is because when he was traded there was a clause in the trade that said if he was resigned BEFORE the start of free agency in 2009 then the Saints owe the Jets a 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd. But here's the kicker: the Saints already traded their 2nd round pick to the Giants for Shockey, so if they resign Vilma prior to the start of free agency they owe the Jets a 1st round pick in 2010.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='743329' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:29 PM']Why it's absolutely retarded for anyone to think they can claim Stacet Andrews is a valid option at RT.

It's really imperative that we find help in the draft or in FA and we find it soon, unless collins can come and levi and come in and prove they can play. IMO Marvin will put trust in them to be ready, but i sure as hell hope not as much as last year.[/quote]

I have to agree. Even if Stacey was healthy, you'd have to question him being out there still. Better guard then tackle then my opinion. I think Marvin is still counting on Levi though, so that would throw Collins out to RT which is why I think they drafted him to begin with. Now if Levi can't go, that would push Whit out to LT or Collins with Whit at RT. I think the safer thing to do is draft one, but I get increasingly worried that it will not be in the first round. Marvin came in as a Defensive Genius and I think he may want to continue that theme, even with one of the best QBs in the NFL. IF he does, he is drafting D in the first round.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='743332' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:36 PM']You never know, but I dont think Stacey will go anywhere either, I'd offer him a 2 year vet minium.[/quote]

X2 as a back up. Maybe even 3 if he will sign. You got to think he will take what he can get at this point. I think he would be a good replacement for Bobbie in a couple of years.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='743403' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:57 PM']Vilma must have done something down there because he's being touted as the answer in the middle for that franchise and everybody was actually happy when he got his DUI because it might mean the Saints can get him cheaper now.
I would really love to get Benson and Ricky Williams in the same backfield.[/quote]

Problem is I don't think Perry is going anywhere. So we sign one RB either Benson or another one of the FA list, but probably Benson. Then we go with FA, Perry and Watson or James Johnson (My guess is Johnson). I could see us signing a FB though. Coats didn't cut it as a full back.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='743422' date='Jan 31 2009, 01:47 AM']Yeah apparently Saints fans unamimously agree that Vilma was their best defensive player in 2008 and a lock to get resigned. The only reason he has not been resigned yet is because when he was traded there was a clause in the trade that said if he was resigned BEFORE the start of free agency in 2009 then the Saints owe the Jets a 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd. But here's the kicker: the Saints already traded their 2nd round pick to the Giants for Shockey, so if they resign Vilma prior to the start of free agency they owe the Jets a 1st round pick in 2010.[/quote]
I didn't know there were all these stipulations that allows Vilma to get to FA. I wanted him to come here when it was clear that he didn't fit in very well with the Jets 3-4 but he got hurt that year.

I think if he stayed healthy all year he would be another guy like Scott or Dansby that we should target.

Can they Franchise him?

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='743472' date='Jan 31 2009, 11:38 AM']I didn't know there were all these stipulations that allows Vilma to get to FA. I wanted him to come here when it was clear that he didn't fit in very well with the Jets 3-4 but he got hurt that year.

I think if he stayed healthy all year he would be another guy like Scott or Dansby that we should target.

Can they Franchise him?[/quote]
I'm not sure when the franchise tag deadline is but if it's before the start of free agency then I would say no they can't. If it's after the start of free agency then yeah I think they can.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='743480' date='Jan 31 2009, 09:51 AM']I'm not sure when the franchise tag deadline is but if it's before the start of free agency then I would say no they can't. If it's after the start of free agency then yeah I think they can.[/quote]

Free agency begins Feb. 27th.

NFL teams can place the franchise tag on players from Feb. 5th to Feb. 19th.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='743331' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:35 PM']No I'm not, I'm sure everyone does, becauseMarvin has gone under record that you build a team through the draft not FA.

Chad will for sure be getting paid by the bengals, his contract is a steal right now, unless we trade him.

I could see us cutting Levi, but how much cap room will that save us? I have no idea.

it's very possible we make moves but we never do, we're an extremely conservative team, which plagues us at times, [b]but it also keeps us out of trouble.[/b][/quote]
And by "trouble," I assume you mean "the playoffs."

Archived