Sproles hasn't signed his offer sheet.. with LT still in negotiations...shouldn't we at least take a look.

Below is the lates on Sproles

Chargers | Sproles will not sign offer immediately
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:44:03 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers RB Darren Sproles will not sign his franchise tag offer immediately, according to a source.

Does this not give anyone the chance to put a long term $$$$ deal together for a top level back?

[quote name='TonyAPBTx' post='752445' date='Mar 3 2009, 12:42 PM']If we were to sign him it would cost us two first round draft picks unless the Chargers agreed to a different trade.

We can't sign him outright without the Chargers having a chance to match and us having to give up some serious compensation.[/quote]

This would be a good time for a CHAD TRADE TALK!!!!!

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='752449' date='Mar 3 2009, 12:44 PM']No thanks, Sproles is 5'6 181. Not the type of bellcow back we need, he'd get murdered in this division.[/quote]

I'm with you. As soon as Hampton, Ngata or Rogers landed on him once he'd probably break.

Stat's I love the Stat's - and a franchise Tag to boot - He'd be worth it... He numbers keep getting bigger

Darren Sproles | #43 | RB

San Diego Chargers | Official Team Site

Height: 5-6 Weight: 181 Age: 25

Born: 6/20/1983 Waterloo , IA

College: Kansas State

Experience: 4th season

High School: Olathe North HS [KS]
team rosters quick stats (2008) Select a Team Arizona Cardinals Atlanta Falcons Baltimore Ravens Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers Chicago Bears Cincinnati Bengals Cleveland Browns Dallas Cowboys Denver Broncos Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers Houston Texans Indianapolis Colts Jacksonville Jaguars Kansas City Chiefs Miami Dolphins Minnesota Vikings New England Patriots New Orleans Saints New York Giants New York Jets Oakland Raiders Philadelphia Eagles Pittsburgh Steelers San Diego Chargers San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks St. Louis Rams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tennessee Titans Washington Redskins CAR
YDS
AVG
TDS
Career Stats
Game Logs
Game Splits
Situational Stats

Rushing
Year Team G Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
2008 San Diego Chargers 16 61 3.8 330 5.4 20.6 1 37 15 24.6 3 0 0

Add Some OL to the mix - forget Coles and Benson - and Carson will have time and options.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='752460' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:04 PM']fuck yeah, mike brown is going to fly his chevy lumina jet out to san
diego and bring him back to the nati to negotiate a deal with him :ninja:[/quote]

Well He sure hasn't done anything else..... maybe it's time he joined the Party!

[quote name='mhfinks' post='752458' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:01 PM']Stat's I love the Stat's - and a franchise Tag to boot - He'd be worth it... He numbers keep getting bigger

Darren Sproles | #43 | RB

San Diego Chargers | Official Team Site

Height: 5-6 Weight: 181 Age: 25

Born: 6/20/1983 Waterloo , IA

College: Kansas State

Experience: 4th season

High School: Olathe North HS [KS]
team rosters quick stats (2008) Select a Team Arizona Cardinals Atlanta Falcons Baltimore Ravens Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers Chicago Bears Cincinnati Bengals Cleveland Browns Dallas Cowboys Denver Broncos Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers Houston Texans Indianapolis Colts Jacksonville Jaguars Kansas City Chiefs Miami Dolphins Minnesota Vikings New England Patriots New Orleans Saints New York Giants New York Jets Oakland Raiders Philadelphia Eagles Pittsburgh Steelers San Diego Chargers San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks St. Louis Rams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tennessee Titans Washington Redskins CAR
YDS
AVG
TDS
Career Stats
Game Logs
Game Splits
Situational Stats

Rushing
Year Team G Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
2008 San Diego Chargers 16 61 3.8 330 5.4 20.6 1 37 15 24.6 3 0 0

Add Some OL to the mix - forget Coles and Benson - and Carson will have time and options.[/quote]

He got swallowed up in the playoffs against Pitt to the tune of 1.4 YPA and 15 yards. He'd have to play them 2xs a year.

No thanks.

[quote name='mhfinks' post='752442' date='Mar 3 2009, 11:40 AM']Sproles hasn't signed his offer sheet.. with LT still in negotiations...shouldn't we at least take a look.

Below is the lates on Sproles

Chargers | Sproles will not sign offer immediately
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:44:03 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers RB Darren Sproles will not sign his franchise tag offer immediately, according to a source.

Does this not give anyone the chance to put a long term $$$$ deal together for a top level back?[/quote]
I'm not trying to be a stickler, but this blurb is dated February 20. Has his status changed since then?

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='752534' date='Mar 3 2009, 02:45 PM']I'm not trying to be a stickler, but this blurb is dated February 20. Has his status changed since then?[/quote]

I couln't find anything that said different...

I'd actually love to have him as a 3rd down guy. Sproles is smart enough to realize he won't get a bellcow, 20 carries a game job. His role is as the quick, playmaking guy in a committee situation. Problem is SD has his rights and he probably wants to be paid like a top 5 back now that he's been tagged.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='752472' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:19 PM'][b]He got swallowed up in the playoffs against Pitt [/b]to the tune of 1.4 YPA and 15 yards. He'd have to play them 2xs a year.

No thanks.[/quote]

Bet Hines was bummed he couldn't play defense...

:ninja:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='752851' date='Mar 4 2009, 12:03 AM']why do you value sproles so highly?[/quote]

I look at Sproles run, he makes breaks, great outside - good hands - great stats... I don't believe he's an inside banger.... but would be a huge threat.... it would keep the double tapping of WR from happening... he would open things up.. I don't believe benson, dede or johnson would keep the D drawn up like he would.

[quote name='mhfinks' post='752890' date='Mar 4 2009, 09:31 AM']I look at Sproles run, he makes breaks, great outside - good hands - great stats... I don't believe he's an inside banger.... but would be a huge threat.... it would keep the double tapping of WR from happening... he would open things up.. I don't believe benson, dede or johnson would keep the D drawn up like he would.[/quote]

I agree that he looked and played great last year...but I think he caught a lot of teams by surprise. He's not going to be able to run the ball on first down this year. You better believe teams are going to work to seal the edge and force him up the gut as much as possible.

With LT on the team it won't matter cause the Chargers will use him in a 3rd down/change of pace role. So he's the franchise player and he's only good to play 15 or snaps a game...we can't afford to give up anything of value to get that, nor could we pay him what he wants to be paid as he is a situational player.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='752893' date='Mar 4 2009, 08:37 AM']I agree that he looked and played great last year...but I think he caught a lot of teams by surprise. He's not going to be able to run the ball on first down this year. You better believe teams are going to work to seal the edge and force him up the gut as much as possible.

With LT on the team it won't matter cause the Chargers will use him in a 3rd down/change of pace role. So he's the franchise player and he's only good to play 15 or snaps a game...we can't afford to give up anything of value to get that, nor could we pay him what he wants to be paid as he is a situational player.[/quote]

Your right.. I guess I was dreaming... what about other backs... I just am not feeling benson. Are we looking to the draft now or is FA still an option. I can't see us waisting a number 1 or 2 pick, 3 would be high with all our needs. I am hoping we can get some OL in 1 and 2.

[quote name='mhfinks' post='752890' date='Mar 4 2009, 08:31 AM']I look at Sproles run, he makes breaks, great outside - good hands - great stats... I don't believe he's an inside banger.... but would be a huge threat.... it would keep the double tapping of WR from happening... he would open things up.. I don't believe benson, dede or johnson would keep the D drawn up like he would.[/quote]

he's not worth 2 first rounders though as you suggest.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='752907' date='Mar 4 2009, 09:19 AM']he's not worth 2 first rounders though as you suggest.[/quote]

I was thinking more of a Trade Chad thing.... Sign Coles Deal.... I wouldn't give up two number one picks though. I think we are best served with OL and D for the first three rounds... a C would be really nice at number 3. We have WR's and a healthy Carson with a good OL means time.. and time means that the WR's get Skin. I liked Sproles as a threat in the backfield as a compliment to Benson and Utect. This senerio would make sense and make me very happy... but it's a pipe dream and many would think that i was smoking something pretty strong.....

Archived