Carson Palmer

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' date='04 October 2009 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1254691326' post='811560']
I think he is on the borderline of being washed up. Seems like he only shows up when the game is on the line, and it pains me to say it, because I love the guy...but I also call 'em like I see 'em.
[/quote]

Washed up?? Either you're trying to be sarcastic or you're an idiot!

I liked Carsons mobility today . . . rolling out of the pocket, throwing on the run, the big 4th down scramble to get into Field goal range at the end of the game, that's big time. I would have liked to seen a little more of that moving around though...but hey.

Quite a few drops out there on the Field for both teams. Left some points out there.

But he got it done.

Wouldn't win the beauty contest but still a Good win for the home team.

How about Chris M*ThERFU#*$KING Henry Boss?

And some of that Bernard Scott? Bobs been working!!! Gimme some more.

[quote name='The Scales' date='04 October 2009 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1254695574' post='811642']
I liked Carsons mobility today . . . rolling out of the pocket, throwing on the run, the big 4th down scramble to get into Field goal range at the end of the game, that's big time. I would have liked to seen a little more of that moving around though...but hey.

Quite a few drops out there on the Field for both teams. Left some points out there.

But he got it done.

Wouldn't win the beauty contest but still a Good win for the [color="#FF0000"]home team.
[/color]

How about Chris M*ThERFU#*$KING Henry Boss?

And some of that Bernard Scott? Bobs been working!!! Gimme some more.
[/quote]

:lol:

The Browns secondary always seems to have us figured out. Coverage was pretty damn tight the entire game. Well, except when Marvin deigned to allow Henry to get into the game. He was consistently open.

And another thing: can we stop already with the tossing the fade to Chad in the endzone? That isn't Chad's game. He's generally not tall enough for those types of throws and seems to get outmuscled for the ball. That's a Chris Henry pattern if there ever was one.

Although I will say that that fade to Chad was perfectly thrown and it bounced right off Ocho's numbers.

[quote name='Phish' date='04 October 2009 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1254693430' post='811620']
He was limping coming off the field, looked like the ankle as the DL that tripped him up grabbed his foot/ankle. That is my guess, just a flare up of the high ankle sprain. He looked okay walking on the sideline. I wouldnt be that concerned. Prob just tweaked the ankle a bit.
[/quote]

No flare up. The ankle has been heavy taped all season and he has also been walking with a limp all season. As a matter of fact, today he had the least amount of tape on his ankle so I am guessing it is finally getting better. Previous leaks he looked like he had a black shoe on his left foot because of all the black tape.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='04 October 2009 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1254698434' post='811668']
The Browns secondary always seems to have us figured out. Coverage was pretty damn tight the entire game. Well, except when Marvin deigned to allow Henry to get into the game. He was consistently open.

And another thing: can we stop already with the tossing the fade to Chad in the endzone? That isn't Chad's game. He's generally not tall enough for those types of throws and seems to get outmuscled for the ball. That's a Chris Henry pattern if there ever was one.

Although I will say that that fade to Chad was perfectly thrown and it bounced right off Ocho's numbers.
[/quote]

What about the one in the first Q? I think he does decently on them.

[quote name='gatorclaws' date='04 October 2009 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1254695939' post='811647']
I couldn't tell if our WR's couldn't get open or what, but it seems like Carson is throwing into a lot of traffic.
[/quote]

Teams have been playing a lot of 2 deep zone coverage against the Bengals this season. They are almost daring them to run the ball and playing the pass almost exclusively from my vantage point. That being said, there is no question that the passing game is a little out of sync for a multitude of reasons.

Maybe its just me but the offense and Carson seem much more potent when they are passing first and using the pass to set up the run. Carson seems more in rhythem and the defense seems more on their heels. Today the run wasnt there until we started to throw the ball.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='04 October 2009 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1254698434' post='811668']
[/quote]

I'd give credit where credit is due ---- great defensive play to knock the ball out more so than a drop.

[quote name='Sigfox09' date='04 October 2009 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1254700149' post='811688']
Maybe its just me but the offense and Carson seem much more potent when they are passing first and using the pass to set up the run. Carson seems more in rhythem and the defense seems more on their heels. Today the run wasnt there until we started to throw the ball.
[/quote]

:41:

Good call.

[quote name='SlantNGo' date='04 October 2009 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1254698874' post='811678']
What about the one in the first Q? I think he does decently on them.
[/quote]
Actually, you were right. I went back and rewatched it and it was definitely a fade. I still don't think that's Chad's strength, but...we won!

Yay us!

Carson needs less Coles and more Henry. Let's also not forget Carson's injury...I'm sure he'll continue to improve as the season goes on.

And as far as the bad stats thing goes, a win is more important. A QB with poor stats but wins games... hmm... remind you of anybody else?

[quote name='cwing' date='04 October 2009 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1254700499' post='811692']
I'd give credit where credit is due ---- great defensive play to knock the ball out more so than a drop.
[/quote]

if great defensive play = pulling down Chad's right arm, then yes I agree with you.

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' date='04 October 2009 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1254691326' post='811560']
I think he is on the borderline of being washed up. [b]Seems like he only shows up when the game is on the line,[/b] and it pains me to say it, because I love the guy...but I also call 'em like I see 'em.
[/quote]

That sucks.

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:

I feel like where Carson is struggling is the out routes towards the sidelines...maybe its cause those are timing routes and he hasnt played that much and hes just not in his groove yet. But when we open the offense up and he throws the ball more over the middle he has looked pretty good. Anyone agree?

I don't know whether or not there's anything wrong with Carson, it may be rust it may not be. But some of you listen to way too much sports talk radio. His stats don't matter only the W matters? Well obviously, but if his stats suck that most likely means they're winning in spite of how he's playing. It's not like you have to choose between a gaudy monster passing game and winning. Can you imagine if he "had 2006 stats" today? We wouldn't have even noticed Brad St. Douchenozzle because we wouldn't mind only being up by 75 points instead of 79. We're just scraping by instead of demolishing lesser teams, and that's definitely worth discussing.

[b][size="5"]Notes: Carson Comeback and his Cardiac Kids[/size][/b]
GEOFF HOBSON

Posted Oct 4, 2009

» [b]Carson Comeback and his Cardiac Kids needed a little help Sunday from Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis[/b]. At first Lewis wasn't ready to go for it in on fourth-and-10 with 1:13 left in overtime but Lewis relented with some input from his quarterback.

"We've been very aggressive all year and we've kind of been doing that; Carson was very confident in picking it up as he always is," Lewis said.

Added Palmer: "He listened to us. He made a gutsy call. That's a call that most coaches, especially defensive-minded coaches, wouldn't make. He believes in our offense. We've made plays for him. As long as we keep making plays for him, he'll trust and believe in us."

» [b]Palmer said he saw wide receiver Chad Ochocinco in the back of the end zone[/b] for the game-tying touchdown pass in regulation only because Ochocinco was wearing pink gloves in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

"I wouldn't have seen him if he didn't wear them; thank you to Breast Cancer Awareness," Palmer said.

» [b]Palmer tied the longest run of his pro career with a 15-yard scranble[/b] that set up Shayne Graham's game-winning 31-yard field goal on the last play possible at Cleveland Browns Stadium. The game tied Cincinnati's longest game in franchise history, equaling the 13-13 tie last season against Philadelphia.

» [b]The Bengals, 3-1, have won the last two games in the last minute of play[/b] and are now tied for first in the AFC North with the Ravens, the team they play next Sunday in Baltimore.

» [b]With 6:34 left Palmer did what he has done in three of the last four games[/b] and drove the team at least 70 yards for a go-ahead or game-tying score in the fourth quarter.

"With six minutes left, I was in the huddle and I said, 'This is the way we like it. Let's go get get it' and we got it," tackle Andrew Whitworth said.

Whitworth was also in on lobbying Lewis to go for it on fourth down in overtime.

"Trust me, I was lobbying," Whitworth said. "This is a team that believes it can win, no matter what. That's the kind opf mentality that we want and we have."

» [b]Following his first touchdown grab of the day Ochocinco looked like he was going to duplicate[/b] his feat of two seasons ago when he jumped into the Cleveland Dawg Pound following a score. He was restrained by tackle Anthony Collins before he could complete his Dawg Pound leap. However, Ochocinco said the plan all along was to have the first guy to reach him hold him back from going into the Dawg Pound. The first guy on the scene happened to be Collins.

» [b]After the game Ochocinco was wearing a Color Purple ballcap[/b] and was carrying a handwritten carboard sign that said, "Come on, son."

» [b]J.P Foschi was the leading receiver with three catches for 44 yards[/b], including a big 27-yarder on the last drive of regualtion.

"Everybody just dropped off me," he said. "Honestly, I haven't been thrown the ball this much since college."

» [b]It was Graham's first overtime kick.[/b] "Usually in pregame warmups they do four jumping jacks for four quarters," Graham said. "For some reason today before the game we did five jacks for four quarters. I guess it really was for five quarters."

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Carson-Comeback-and-his-Cardiac-Kids/c05f0a8d-0050-4687-b6d7-89a3ec953c08"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Carson-Comeback-and-his-Cardiac-Kids/c05f0a8d-0050-4687-b6d7-89a3ec953c08[/url]

Archived