Bengals Cut Coles (He says Carson wasn't comfortable throwing to him)

Funny, just a year ago Coles was saying this . . .

Coles stated that Palmer's involvement had a lot to do with his desire to want to play in Cincinnati.

He said that "Anytime a quarterback of his caliber takes time out to give you a call and lets you know how important he feels it would be to come to a team he plays for, I felt that was something great. I felt it was something I needed to take a close look at."

[quote name='Sigfox09' date='05 March 2010 - 07:04 AM' timestamp='1267801498' post='867322']
Hey COles we dont have a tall receiver on the team. Carson wasnt comfortable throwing to you becuase you ran weak routes and dropped a lot easy passes.
[/quote]

Slim was the tall one :(

with coles' release, could the bengals be providing teams who need receivers an option that the bengals don't want?

coles isn't going to say, "yeah, i don't really fight for the ball and i drop passes so he didn't trust me"... so he said, "he likes bigger targets". whatever...

I'm with oldschool on this one, get TO/marshall and let butch have a good time writing his 'marshall plan' article, and draft a guy as well. if TO does not pan out, i really like chris chambers for a #2. he has a knack for getting open deep... but with brat's offense, TO couldn't get open deep. watch.

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' date='06 March 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1267902961' post='867759']
[b]with coles' release, could the bengals be providing teams who need receivers an option that the bengals don't want?
[/b]
coles isn't going to say, "yeah, i don't really fight for the ball and i drop passes so he didn't trust me"... so he said, "he likes bigger targets". whatever...

I'm with oldschool on this one, get TO/marshall and let butch have a good time writing his 'marshall plan' article, and draft a guy as well. if TO does not pan out, i really like chris chambers for a #2. he has a knack for getting open deep... but with brat's offense, TO couldn't get open deep. watch.
[/quote]

Exaclty! Although I think his comment is irrelevant, if you can help affect the market in a positive way for your position for a commodity you desire, then do so.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='05 March 2010 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1267800374' post='867305']

[b]“I didn’t fit into the offense at all,” Coles told The Star-Ledger Thursday

“(Quarterback) Carson (Palmer) wasn’t comfortable with me. He likes tall receivers. He told the coaches he wasn’t comfortable throwing to me."[/b]

[/quote]
Carson's unstated response: "Our passing offense is build around players who catch the ball. I was not comfortable with Laverneandshirleyus because he did not do that, catch the ball."

Back to the shed, tool...

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' date='06 March 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1267902961' post='867759']
with coles' release, could the bengals be providing teams who need receivers an option that the bengals don't want?

[/quote]

Wow. I never thought of it like that... you're a genius!

But yes, Coles wasn't trusted because he couldn't catch and he couldn't hold onto the damn ball when he did catch it. Everytime he had the ball he held it out away from his body. Chad does the same thing... drives me freaking nuts!

[quote name='High School Harry' date='06 March 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1267906125' post='867775']
Carson's unstated response: "Our passing offense is build around players who catch the ball. I was not comfortable with Laverneandshirleyus because he did not do that, catch the ball."

Back to the shed, tool...
[/quote]

back to the shed, tool.

Huh, never heard that one before

[quote name='Tigris' date='06 March 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1267906229' post='867776']

But yes, Coles wasn't trusted because he couldn't catch and he couldn't hold onto the damn ball when he did catch it. E[b]verytime he had the ball he held it out away from his body. [/b]Chad does the same thing... drives me freaking nuts!
[/quote]

seems normal for a guy playing with a fractured sternum....

[quote name='SF2' date='06 March 2010 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1267937869' post='867907']
Damn Chad is a staggering 2 inches taller than Coles so Coles must be on to something concerning Carson not wanting to throw to short guys. :ph34r:
[/quote]

isnt chad like 6'1''? coles is 5'9'' or so. i met him and he is shorter than me.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='07 March 2010 - 03:39 AM' timestamp='1267951164' post='867923']
seems normal for a guy playing with a fractured sternum....
[/quote]

Coles had a fractured sternum?

Also, if he did, then it was a bad coaching decision to have him out there. I wasn't a big fan of Coles throughout the year... I just didn't expect much from the guy. I am glad we are going about a different direction.

[quote name='F.Cleveland' date='05 March 2010 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1267815210' post='867394']
I think Carson prefers a taller target, but [b]my guess is that he was unconfortable throwing to coles because he would not go get the ball if it was close and he dropped so many that were not close. The whole second half of the year Carson looked like he was trying to be too perfect with his passes because he knew no one was going to battle a corner for the ball. Caldwell started out fairly well, but as the year went on it seemed more and more like he didn't want to fight for the ball either. What happens when you have to be perfect throwing a ball? You overthrow it trying to fire a laser. So much of our passing attack is based on precise passing routes and timing that if I was Carson, I wouldn't be comfortable throwing it to barely open, alligator handed recievers either.[/b] A running team that has no real deep threat cannot give up stupid picks and expect to be in the game long.

[/quote]

Jeez Bengal Migration, we were just saying?
:lol:

[quote name='ccartman2' date='05 March 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1267814354' post='867386']
If he caught the balls against Denver, we win that game..... And Carson is much more comfortable throwing to him.
[/quote]

and this team doesnt grow together and get that sense of urgency and become as good as they did. i think that loss week 1 made this team grow a lot because of the way they lost.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='07 March 2010 - 03:40 AM' timestamp='1267951237' post='867924']
isnt chad like 6'1''? coles is 5'9'' or so. i met him and he is shorter than me.
[/quote]

According to Pro-football-reference, Coles is 5'11" and Chad is 6'1". I have no idea if that is fact or "published" fiction.

[quote name='SF2' date='07 March 2010 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1267995823' post='868045']
According to Pro-football-reference, Coles is 5'11" and Chad is 6'1". I have no idea if that is fact or "published" fiction.
[/quote]

well i am 5'10'' and i was taller than coles when i met him. so he isnt 5'11'' and ive met chad quite a few times and he is a few inches taller than me.

[quote name='Tigris' date='06 March 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1267906229' post='867776']

But yes, Coles wasn't trusted because he couldn't catch and he couldn't hold onto the damn ball when he did catch it. Everytime he had the ball he held it out away from his body. Chad does the same thing... drives me freaking nuts!
[/quote]
What are you talking about? He didn't have a fumble in the regular season. And the one in the play-offs was suspect. If that was ruled incomplete initially, it would've stood up on a challenge. And as far as Palmer being uncomfortable throwing to him, Favre didn't have any problems throwing to him. And he didn't even like the guy.

Archived