Tedy Bruschi on Carson Palmer

[b]3. [/b][url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4459"][color="#225fb2"][b]Carson Palmer[/b][/color][/url][b]'s struggles.[/b] With the addition of all the Bengals' offensive weapons, I felt that Carson Palmer would be a better quarterback. When we played Palmer earlier in his career, we were able to confuse him by disguising our coverages. Over the course of a quarterback's career, he'll start to figure things out, but Palmer still hasn't done that. The Patriots showed Palmer one coverage pre-snap and executed a different coverage post-snap, and Palmer looked lost. I read Pete Carroll's book and when Palmer was at USC, he had self-confidence issues. After throwing two interceptions in the spring game, according to the book, he said to Carroll, "It's just so typical. I always play well and then screw it up when it matters most." He is still that same guy. Until he is able to win the big game that makes a statement, and this was one of those games, defensive coordinators will always see him as a quarterback that can be fooled.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=bruschi_tedy&id=5567524"]http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=bruschi_tedy&id=5567524[/url]

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1284412520' post='918456']
Double ouch coming from a tool like Bruschi.
[/quote]

Ha@! I'm with you on Bruschi.

Sup with Woa dude Petey calling out inner stuff in confidence with the CP. Thats a little I dunno if I would do that.

I think there is very little validity . . . CP won the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl or something.

Winning a playoff game however would go a long way to getting the mind right - so he can strut.

Call it "garbage stats" or whatever, but Carson completed 68%
of his passes and threw for the 3rd most yards this week.
And he is the top 10 in almost every stat that matters.

And I think some of his miscues comes from having too
much confidence that he can rifle a throw in spots.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1284417401' post='918481']
Call it "garbage stats" or whatever, but Carson completed 68%
of his passes and threw for the 3rd most yards this week.
And he is the top 10 in almost every stat that matters.

[b]And I think some of his miscues comes from having too
much confidence that he can rifle a throw in spots.[/b]
[/quote]

Not to mention being down a shit ton and defense not being able to
stop anyone...that has to make the qb think he has to make a play
or they are gonna lose. If you are the qb of a team down 21 in the third
quarter on a third down play and no one is open you have to just throw
it in there and hope someone makes a play (like ship did that one third down).
Yeah it was almost intercepted but at that punting doesnt do anythign for us.
Might as well try to make a play.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1284418275' post='918484']
Not to mention being down a shit ton and defense not being able to
stop anyone...that has to make the qb think he has to make a play
or they are gonna lose. If you are the qb of a team down 21 in the third
quarter on a third down play and no one is open you have to just throw
it in there and hope someone makes a play (like ship did that one third down).
Yeah it was almost intercepted but at that punting doesnt do anythign for us.
Might as well try to make a play.
[/quote]

Just for accuracy's sake, we were down 28, not 21. It was 31-3 at one point.

Ugh. I'd like to erase that one from the memory banks and reset and go forward.

JT disagrees.

[quote]JT
September 13th, 2010 at 6:14 pm

RT- wow! That is interesting info. The pats have had Cincys number. But sometimes I think Teddy overdoes it. I don’t like him much on ESPN. Favors Pats too much. Every players has a book on them, I’m sure what people said about Teddy wasn’t always good.[/quote]

http://www.allproblogger.com/2010/09/13/post-your-thoughts/#comments

I agree for the most part. Every team has a book on QB's they've seen often. Some are better than others. You think the Ravens aren't trying to confuse Palmer too? Yet he's eaten them alive throughout his career.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1284419318' post='918491']
Carson led the team on two game wining drives at the end of the game against Pit and Balt last year. I would say that has to make a statement. Carson is confident in himself. I just think it is the people around him he is not so confident in.
[/quote]
Not to mention the Cleveland game, where he told Marvin to go for it on fourth down, and then was able to scramble for the first.

[quote name='SchmittFaced' timestamp='1284422878' post='918513']
Bruschi might have been a bit dramatic for TV's sake, but he did talk up the Bengals a great deal on NFL Live so far the past two weeks and if I recall correctly picked them to go to the Super Bowl this season but not win.
[/quote]

yea Bruschi picked them as a Super Bowl team the other day.

[quote name='#22' timestamp='1284422964' post='918514']
Not to mention the Cleveland game, where he told Marvin to go for it on fourth down, and then was able to scramble for the first.
[/quote]

Also the final drive to clinch the AFC North championship against the Chiefs.

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1284424185' post='918527']
You guys don't think there's any truth to what Carrol and Bruschi said? I know he was young then and has matured, but is there no underlying truth to it at all?
[/quote]

I think there's some truth to it, but its a sweeping generalization. Can Carson be rattled? Certainly, but so can 95% of the QB's in the league.

The fact that he led 7 clutch drives at the end of games last year makes it hard to believe that he doesn't have the nerves to win big games, which is essentially what Bruschi is claiming.

And considering 2 days ago he picked the Bengals to play in the Super Bowl, I wonder if this isn't partly just Tedy jumping off the bandwagon after a bad loss.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1284424335' post='918531']
I think there's some truth to it, but its a sweeping generalization. Can Carson be rattled? Certainly, but so can 95% of the QB's in the league.
[/quote]

ALL Qb's in the league can be rattled. ALL OF THEM. Its just a matter of the frequency and duration of the pass rush. Unfortunately, we generated neither in any amount against the Patriots. Color me concerned about our defensive line unless some changes in personnel are tried. We should try different looks now and not later, at least in small batches to see if some of them will work. And then implement them more frequently when/if they do.

The season is on the line already. There's only 16 games. We can't afford another repeat performance of the defense that was on the field yesterday. Granted the Patriots offense is better than most with Brady leading the way at home in a season opening game when they rarely if ever lose.

I think Carson is almost the opposite. He's almost too cool, IMO.

People will wave off his stats from yesterday, but he throws a pick 6. Fucks up the game then leads 4 scoring drives and quite frankly should have had 3 Td passes instead Benson gets the last one.

I think contradicts anything about him being rattled.

Last year, Ed Reed took one to the house and then Carson picks them apart.

If anything, Carson needs to better early in the game. I think his track record supports that.

Maybe I'm wrong on what "rattled" means but IMO that means a QB loses control once things go bad. You don't see a whole lot of that from Carson, IMO.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1284425189' post='918537']

Maybe I'm wrong on what "rattled" means but IMO that means a QB loses control once things go bad. You don't see a whole lot of that from Carson, IMO.
[/quote]

To me "rattled" means being pressured early and often enough to make the QB make bad decisions with the football, which they all invariably do when under constant duress.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1284425189' post='918537']
I think Carson is almost the opposite. He's almost too cool, IMO.

People will wave off his stats from yesterday, but he throws a pick 6. Fucks up the game then leads 4 scoring drives and quite frankly should have had 3 Td passes instead Benson gets the last one.

I think contradicts anything about him being rattled.

Last year, Ed Reed took one to the house and then Carson picks them apart.

If anything, Carson needs to better early in the game. I think his track record supports that.

[/quote]

I totally agree with you... I always feel he's going to make one HUGE mistake in every game, but (time permitting) he'll come right act like it's nothing and perform well... I always like it if he makes the mistake early in the game, then, he's so much better after that.

[quote name='SchmittFaced' timestamp='1284422878' post='918513']
Bruschi might have been a bit dramatic for TV's sake, but he did talk up the Bengals a great deal on NFL Live so far the past two weeks and if I recall correctly picked them to go to the Super Bowl this season but not win.
[/quote]

Why would he pick a team to go to the show with a QB so easily confused? I'm sure most DC's around the league would disagree with that . I hope Carson saw that.

Archived