I just figured out Shine On You Crazy Diamond might be about CP

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.

Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.

Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.

Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!
:049: :1062:

The song is about Syd. However, if Palmer was to pick up a guitar and start taking LSD on a regular basis with his coffee then maybe it just might be about Palmer...

There might be a few songs that are on my mind right now to describe the sentiments but not [b]S[/b]o[b]Y[/b]c[b]D[/b].

Syd Barrett had to be one of the the most overrated musicians in history along with still living Jeff Beck. If he had not been a founding member of Floyd (a group that became famous AFTER he left) he wouldn't even be remembered for anything. He wrote some OK stuff at best i.e. See Emily Play but that song is barely mentioned compared to some of Floyd's epic tracks. I don't think a single Barrett written song makes any best 500 list.

Beck just rode the coat tails of Clapton after Eric left the Yardbirds as did Jimmy Page. Page did managed to form some other group in 1968 and had some reasonable good years in the 70s and subsequently became a rock God.

I don't think the song tracks Carson too much as he still has hope to actually shine somewhere else. Barrett's mind was fried beyond repair when SOYCD was released. When Carson shaves his head, eyebrows and gains 50 lbs you may be on to something LOL.

I think Carson is more like The O'Jays' Classic Back Stabbers. Now those brothers had STYLE!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZMjLX-GvM[/media]

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1306177125' post='994223']
I'm not a big Jeff Beck fan, but the dude is an incredible guitarist...puts on a hell of a show IMO.
[/quote]

I don't dispute Beck can play guitar (great in fact), I just don't think he can do much of anything else. Didn't write anything of consequence and is a total prick from every account I have ever read. Certainly not overrated as a guitar player but there are plenty of great guitar players who didn't have the luxury of joining an already famous band.

Yngwie Malmsteen is a great guitar player who never really hit it big in the States on his own while Randy Rhodes had the opportunity to join Ozzy in the early 80s and became famous. Both are/were great guitar players. Lady luck is fickle.

The first part of SOYCD fits Carson, I just hope the last part doesn't. As pissed as I am about him wanting out, I would like to see him go somewhere and thrive as it would help cement some of my opinions of this organization.

Alright, I just smoked some J's and made some thoughts:

[b]"Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun."[/b] - #1 overall pick
[b]"Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky."[/b] - No comment after Marvin re-hired
[b]"You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze." [/b]- High expectations, Heisman, but drafted by crappy Mike Brown led franchise juxtaposed next to Stealers winning all the time
[b]"Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!"[/b] - career being wasted in Cincy, frustrations mounting
[b]"You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon."[/b] - accepted #1 NFL salary and responsibilities that come with it and pressure was too much. Also asked team to sign T.O. and that backfired
[b]"Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light."[/b] - Kimo nightmares, everyone can see arm strength is less than what it used to be because of the elbow injury
[b]"Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze." [/b]- garbage on lawn, wife wants out
[b]"Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!"[/b] - traded to 9ers, which is close to Alcatraz, wins a Super Bowl

Yup, this is about CP.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1306176072' post='994218']
Syd Barrett had to be one of the the most overrated musicians in history along with still living Jeff Beck. If he had not been a founding member of Floyd (a group that became famous AFTER he left) he wouldn't even be remembered for anything. He wrote some OK stuff at best i.e. See Emily Play but that song is barely mentioned compared to some of Floyd's epic tracks. I don't think a single Barrett written song makes any best 500 list.

Beck just rode the coat tails of Clapton after Eric left the Yardbirds as did Jimmy Page. Page did managed to form some other group in 1968 and had some reasonable good years in the 70s and subsequently became a rock God.
[/quote]

Agree 100% on both

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1306175669' post='994217']
This song is made for Carson:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC86yQAzaxg[/media]
[/quote]

Maybe but I was thinking of a classic from back in the day when Palmer said he "can't stand the Buckeyes."

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuu2RMbrk-s[/media]

"500 best lists".. LOL
Do we need VH1 to make a judgement on whether music is good? You either like the shit or you don't - some other asshole's list means squat.
Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols (which I love) is on every top 100 All Time list since 1978 and I bet there isn't 3 people here who own that slab or could name two songs off of it without Google.

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1306187534' post='994270']
"500 best lists".. LOL
Do we need VH1 to make a judgement on whether music is good? You either like the shit or you don't - some other asshole's list means squat.
Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols (which I love) is on every top 100 All Time list since 1978 and I bet there isn't 3 people here who own that slab or could name two songs off of it without Google.
[/quote]

Well, VH1 is better than MTV LOL. I loved it when the Sex Pistols snubbed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Just a bunch of music insiders voting their own acts in to resell some records or something to that effect. Good Save the Queen.

That actually strengthens my argument. If the Sex Pistols and groups like The Smiths and Underground Velvet can make these lists than why can't Jeff Beck and Syd? Well, its because they were not very good song writers and neither really had much of an impact on music. Of course it isn't fair to compare those two to a guy like Lou Reed.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1306188890' post='994271']
Well, VH1 is better than MTV LOL. I loved it when the Sex Pistols snubbed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Just a bunch of music insiders voting their own acts in to resell some records or something to that effect. Good Save the Queen.

That actually strengthens my argument. If the Sex Pistols and groups like The Smiths and Underground Velvet can make these lists than why can't Jeff Beck and Syd? Well, its because they were not very good song writers and neither really had much of an impact on music. Of course it isn't fair to compare those two to a guy like Lou Reed.
[/quote]

Who is the Underground Velvet :-P

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1306191609' post='994282']
On my phone you can't tell who starts a thread until you click it... but I knew it was you just by the title.
[/quote]

That means I am known for saying cool things.

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1306187534' post='994270']
"500 best lists".. LOL
[/quote]
I own that disc but I only can think of the two more well known songs off it, "Anarchy In The UK" and "God Save The Queen". Wait, wasn't there a song called "EMI" on there too? Been awhile since I listened to it, but its a great album.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1306188890' post='994271']

[/quote]

no, it doesn't, not at all. having a major impact on music doesn't have a goddamned thing to do with whether a legitimate musician has devoted his career to top 40 ratings, or the MTV and VH1 ratings you seem to want to use as an industry standard toward whether they've had a successful career, or not....whether they've, in spite of that lack of recognition, made major contributions to their art. your misunderstanding of jeff beck's contribution to the art is a very good example of this oversight.

i'm actually shaking my head that i've even entered into such a trivial, worthless discussion. shame on me, i guess! blame it on the lack of football.

Jeff Beck is a guitar virtuoso. Jeff Beck has been a major contributor to the canon of electric guitar music. You may not like his music, but there's no denying the talent and the contribution and the influence he's had on a legion of other guitarists.

Archived