OT: Tressel Resigns

[quote]Report: Tressel resigns at Ohio State
FOX Sports

Updated May 30, 2011 9:10 AM ET
Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel has resigned, university sources told The Columbus Dispatch on Monday.

Bruce Hooley of FOX Sports Ohio confirmed the news via Twitter.

Luke Fickell is expected to coach the Buckeyes in 2011.

According to Hooley, the Ohio State Board of Trustees met yesterday and accepted Tressel's resignation. Tressel informed his coaching staff this morning.[/quote]
That's too bad. From everything I've heard, Tressel is a great guy. Can't lie to the NCAA though. Urban Meyer next year? That's going to be one coveted job.

Tough blow for the vest. I always figured the only that would bring him down was Michigan finding a coach that could beat him. Ah well, his staff gets a year to shine, and almost every NCAA coach will look at Columbus as the carrot to chase for 2012.

I know that he really messed up by not going to the NCAA immediately, but shouldn't some of the blame be put on the dealerships and the kids that are selling this stuff for these things?

I don't think that would damper the job prestige at all, but you have to think that all the hooligans close to the program could really put it in some hot water.

So far I have heard about what a great recruiter, man and coach he is and that ESPN and the media were out to get him. I am confused. He still lied to the NCAA. Allegations have followed him from Youngstown St to OSU. Maybe he was a great recruiter because he allowed all of this to go on. Maybe he was a great coach because he had great players because he allowed all of this to go on. And the idea that he is a great man has got to be tarnished. I just don't get how the fans can find him at once both a brilliant coach, and then when it suits him, conveniently stupid. He is smart enough to be a great coach but not smart enough to know that cheating is going on throughout his program? Seems absurd to me.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1306765678' post='995301']
So far I have heard about what a great recruiter, man and coach he is and that ESPN and the media were out to get him. I am confused. He still lied to the NCAA. Allegations have followed him from Youngstown St to OSU. Maybe he was a great recruiter because he allowed all of this to go on. Maybe he was a great coach because he had great players because he allowed all of this to go on. And the idea that he is a great man has got to be tarnished. I just don't get how the fans can find him at once both a brilliant coach, and then when it suits him, conveniently stupid. [b]He is smart enough to be a great coach but not smart enough to know that cheating is going on throughout his program? Seems absurd to me.[/b]
[/quote]

there's a difference between knowing about it and being able to stop it. And pretty much no program in the country is going to out themselves.

Coaches simply can't police 80+ players at all times and make sure they're following the rules.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1306766402' post='995305']
there's a difference between knowing about it and being able to stop it. And pretty much no program in the country is going to out themselves.

Coaches simply can't police 80+ players at all times and make sure they're following the rules.
[/quote]

Exactly.

And if anyone thinks that every single single program in the country doesnt have similar issues happening, they have their heads in the sand. This is nothing unique to OSU... OSU just got caught. Only difference.

Hopefully Urban comes home to Ohio.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1306766731' post='995310']
Exactly.

And if anyone thinks that every single single program in the country doesnt have similar issues happening, they have their heads in the sand. This is nothing unique to OSU... OSU just got caught. Only difference.

Hopefully Urban comes home to Ohio.
[/quote]

This was a quote from Robert Smith interview from Tressell during an interview earlier this spring. Put up on Chris Mortensen's Twitter page:

@mortreport
Chris Mortensen
Robert Smith also recalled 2-hr convo w Tressell in spring: "One of most disturbing things abt players...look you in the eye and lie to you"

This is sad news. I'd assume OSU expects the NCAA to drop the hammer and this is damage mitigation. The NCAA rule in question that players can't sell their memorabilia is plainly unlawful and should be overturned. Tressel did the right thing in not telling the school compliance officer about the claim the players sold their stuff to an alleged drug dealer since it would have opened him and whoever he told to obstruction of justice charges.

I'd like to see the players challenge their suspensions in court once the NCAA is done assessing institutional penalties.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1306767456' post='995313']
This is sad news. I'd assume OSU expects the NCAA to drop the hammer and this is damage mitigation. The NCAA rule in question that players can't sell their memorabilia is plainly unlawful and should be overturned. Tressel did the right thing in not telling the school compliance officer about the claim the players sold their stuff to an alleged drug dealer since it would have opened him and whoever he told to obstruction of justice charges.

I'd like to see the players challenge their suspensions in court once the NCAA is done assessing institutional penalties.
[/quote]

Everytime this discussion happens you bring this up and every time you are wrong.

They can receive the items only if they agree to not sell them. Had they not agreed to this they would not have the chance to receive the items. They gave up the chance to sell the item in order to get the chance to receive the item. They have an amateur status. In order to maintain that status (and play in a sport governeed by the NCAA) they must not sell the items. They in effect have possession but not ownership of the items in the eyes of OSU and the NCAA. They would not be eligible to receive such items unless they agreed to not sell it within their time at the school.

However, they also have every right to sell it, legally. However, once they sell it they are no longer eligible to compete in amateur athletics because they are in effect getting paid. Its not the law....they can sell it. They can't sell it and still compete as an amateur. They have a choice of whether or not to sell it.

Also, OSU has every authority over its students. Its not a right to go to that school. It might not be a law that you can't do something in a dorm room, however it might be against the rules for OSU and cause for dismissal. That would include having contingencies around an award...as in you can sell this if and when.....You receive this award (scholarship) if you meet this goal.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1306766402' post='995305']

[/quote]

I agree with this, but think its a straw man. If Michigan were doing this you would not make the argument. We know of one time that he lied and it got covered up. What about all the other times he did it and got away with it. He cant be conveniently stupid. This was pervasive. Do you think he cheated once and got caught once. It can't be the players fault 100% of the time.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1306768122' post='995316']
I agree with this, but think its a straw man. [b]If Michigan were doing this you would not make the argument.[/b] We know of one time that he lied and it got covered up. What about all the other times he did it and got away with it. He cant be conveniently stupid. This was pervasive.,
[/quote]

and if this weren't OSU, you wouldn't be making the argument...

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1306768489' post='995317']
and if this weren't OSU, you wouldn't be making the argument...
[/quote]

I care less about what OSU did then what their fans seem to be willing to explain away. You are exactly right. I would probably do the same if I lived in Ann Arbor for Michigan.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1306768777' post='995319']
I care less about what OSU did then what their fans seem to be willing to explain away. You are exactly right. I would probably do the same if I lived in Ann Arbor for Michigan.
[/quote]

so you're saying you're not biased against OSU?

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/05/08/osu-mess-leaves-fans-frustrated.html?sid=101

No, are you saying that you are not biased for OSU?

"Only the other guys cheat. That became obvious to me long ago.

When your favorite school commits a violation of any kind, it's "an isolated incident" or "an unfair rule" or "not that big a deal." Either "everybody's doing it" or "at some places it's a lot worse." Your alma mater "may have made a mistake or two" or "may have bent the rules a little" or "is a victim of circumstance." Other schools cheat. Yours doesn't."

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1306768973' post='995320']
so you're saying you're not biased against OSU?
[/quote]

Sorry to hijack this discourse, and I won't speak for Michael.

But I went to U of M, and no - I'm not "biased" against OSU. Michigan's done some shit in the past (Fab 5 b-ball, for example), and got caught. They deserved what they got - it wasn't a proud moment for the school, or for me as an alumnus, but they needed to be accountable for their actions, point blank.

Let's not make excuses for Tressel. He fucked up, he didn't disclose what/when he should have - that would have been the right thing to do, and he didn't do it. He deserves what happened, and I don't feel sorry for him... any more than I would have for Bo Schembechler, Lloyd Carr, or anyone else if they were wearing a Michigan hat on the sidelines.

Urban Meyer? Are you guys nuts? What coach would take that job? He's going to be coaching a season or seasons of meaningless football after the NCAA slams OSU with sanctions. Tressel a great guy? Come on, he cheated at Youngstown and now hes been caught cheating at OSU. You back a cheater because he wins. It really shows the true colors of buckeye fans. Well you finally got caught. All those wins he achieved in his career have a big fat asterisk next to them. That national title, asterisk. Last years Sugar Bowl, screw an asterisk, that win will be completely wiped away.

Wait til next week when an SI article comes out with new allegations. Hookers for recruits, pay for play, car deals, ted ginn sr being paid to funnel recruits into OSU, players taking 2 week courses and getting full credit. Its easy to recruit when you cheat out your ass.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1306769773' post='995322']
Sorry to hijack this discourse, and I won't speak for Michael.

But I went to U of M, and no - I'm not "biased" against OSU. Michigan's done some shit in the past (Fab 5 b-ball, for example), and got caught. They deserved what they got - it wasn't a proud moment for the school, or for me as an alumnus, but they needed to be accountable for their actions, point blank.

[b]Let's not make excuses for Tressel.[/b] He fucked up, he didn't disclose what/when he should have - that would have been the right thing to do, and he didn't do it. He deserves what happened, and I don't feel sorry for him... any more than I would have for Bo Schembechler, Lloyd Carr, or anyone else if they were wearing a Michigan hat on the sidelines.
[/quote]

who's making excuses for him?

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1306769953' post='995323']
Urban Meyer? Are you guys nuts? What coach would take that job? He's going to be coaching a season or seasons of meaningless football after the NCAA slams OSU with sanctions. Tressel a great guy? Come on, he cheated at Youngstown and now hes been caught cheating at OSU. You back a cheater because he wins. It really shows the true colors of buckeye fans. Well you finally got caught. All those wins he achieved in his career have a big fat asterisk next to them. That national title, asterisk. Last years Sugar Bowl, screw an asterisk, that win will be completely wiped away.
[/quote]

It may not be this year, but there's a very good chance Meyer will be the coach in 2012. He's an ohio native, former OSU assistant, and Ohio State was the one school he had an out-clause for in his contract at Florida. It'll happen.

By the way, nice going acting like a biased fool.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1306767456' post='995313']

[/quote]

Are you serious? Id love to see them take that to court haha it would be hilarious. Its plain and simple in the rules. The memorabilia does not belong to them until they leave the institution. How is that unlawful. Then they say they needed the money for rent because the money they get isnt enough. Well dont live in a damn gated community, you're a college kid. The entire program is corrupt and its about time they got busted. Enjoy your meaningless seasons!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1306770195' post='995326']
It may not be this year, but there's a very good chance Meyer will be the coach in 2012. He's an ohio native, former OSU assistant, and Ohio State was the one school he had an out-clause for in his contract at Florida. It'll happen.

By the way, nice going acting like a biased fool.
[/quote]

So you think he'd coach a team that could lose scholarships and a bowl ban for years? I look like a biased fool haha you're saying Urban Meyer would coach a team who is going to be sanctioned by the NCAA, how is that not biased and foolish? Plus, Urban couldnt handle the stress of coaching at UF, physically and emotionally. You think he'd want to coach at OSU? Herbstreit moved out of columbus because theyre fans were nuts. And not in a good way.

Archived