The Good, Bad, and Ugly

1) Green is going to be special and good to see Jerome breakout.

2) Dalton looks poised and is a winner, but I am not yet convinced he is a consistent long ball threat. Maybe it won't matter.

3) I thought Ced played uninspired.

4) Where's Zim's great defense?

5) Marvin is a lousy game coach.

I am really happy for the things the Bengals did right and for the improvements made.

But it doesn't change the fact that Denver was missing 6 starters. That was a game that shouldn't have been lost.

[quote name='westside bengal' timestamp='1316401056' post='1033540']1) Green is going to be special and good to see Jerome breakout.

2) Dalton looks poised and is a winner, but I am not yet convinced he is a consistent long ball threat. Maybe it won't matter.

3) I thought Ced played uninspired.

4) Where's Zim's great defense?

5) Marvin is a lousy game coach.

I am really happy for the things the Bengals did right and for the improvements made.

But it doesn't change the fact that Denver was missing 6 starters. That was a game that shouldn't have been lost.[/quote]

I think the long ball will come in time. That's gonna take an offseason to really develop, I believe.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1316394637' post='1033499']

I want a CB in 1 wherever we are picking.
[/quote]

Ced is on a one year deal I think. We may need a RB early in the draft also if we lose him.

*****Why am I even talking about the draft, it's week 2!!!!!

Good... Dalton's development once the reigns were taken off, Green being targetted consistently, Jerome getting open, Geno, MJ.

Bad... Bone headed 3rd down play calling, first half play calling in general, ultra conservative first half and one drive, offensive line, terrible screen passes.
Marvin's game management, playing soft cushion coverage, no Dunlap.
Ugly... Maualuga as MLB, linebackers as a whole, Benson owned by Joe Mays, 3rd and 1 play action in 1st half having NO outlet RB slipping out--in case Green is not open, no Scott, no Gresham.

I hope Moch pans out at SLB and I hope Muck gets back physically and can be the MLB of the future.Rey's not gonna cut it, and neither are the other two as anything more than back ups. We need a fast free cover safety.

I agree with this list so far.
The good- Dalton I think he's a keeper if they can keep him protecteed. Jerome & AJ are beastly so is the dl when bringing the pass rush.

The bad- poor tackling I'm tired off seeing our 260# mlb diving at runners feet and coming up empty. Marvin has a bad habit of getting conservative. Dalton showed in that 3rd qtr what he could do when pushing the ball up field but at the start of the 4th it was back to letting Benson get owned by Joe Mays.

This game was gift wrapped for us but a good learning experience for a young team. Andy seems like the type to not let too many losses like this happen again, if Marvin and his coaching don't hold him back.

Frustrating yet encouraging game today by the Bengals. There were plenty of good things. The passing game was very strong, especially in the 2nd half. They finished with a 300-yard passer and two 100-yard receivers. The o-line gave Dalton plenty of time to throw the ball most of the game. The defense forced two turnovers and the Bengals again did not have any. Special teams was solid as well. They allowed only one return all day, a kickoff for 23 yards. Huber did not allow a single return yard on his 5 punts while Nugent had touchbacks on 5 of 6 kickoffs. The Nuge was also perfect on his three FG attempts (45, 37, and 23 yards). The bad included penalties (7 for 69 yards) and the rushing game on both sides of the ball. The Bengals managed only 72 yards on 20 attempts, while Denver put up 131 yards on 36 attempts. The ugly has to be the Bengals' performance on 3rd and 4th downs (1 for 13 combined). This includes being stopped and forced to punt after facing a 3rd-and-1 on their first three drives of the game. The ineptitude on 3rd and 4th down pretty much negated the advantage the Bengals had in the turnover battle, especially since both turnovers led to field goals and not touchdowns. It was also pretty ugly watching Nate Clements get beat for two touchdowns by Eric Decker.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1316392761' post='1033459']
Good- Dalton and Green

Bad- Boling. Missed a couple blocks that would have sprung Benson to big gains. The holding penalty also hurt.

Uguly- Most of the D in the first half.
[/quote]

kinda surprised McGlynn didn't start this week now that he was more familiar with the system. He started 14 games last year for a playoff team.

[quote name='Jungle1' timestamp='1316391800' post='1033438']
Crocker was nothing special today either. Wonder if Mays will beat him out as a starter this season.

The team responded well to being down again on the road. I did like that. Next, they need to start winning these games.

ugly----winning the turnover battle 2-0 and losing. That is not good.
[/quote]

Missing on 10 of 11 third downs might as well be several turnovers.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1316403340' post='1033559']
Anyone got an opinion about the punt returns? Tate averaged 5.8 yards. Was that his fault or the special teams as a whole? A couple of times it looked as if he had no idea which way he was going to go.
[/quote]

He needs to quit that jitterbug crap and make one cut and go.

good:
andy dalton sure is making me forget carson palmer
aj green is doing the same thing with ocho
we won the turnover battle
despite all the shit happening our young team never wavered

bad:
our run game was a nonfactor
tate hasn't shown he's an upgrade over cosby at all
i don't know if denver just focused on on taking him a way or what, but we need to get gresh more involved like we did in week 1
denver was missing like half their team and we couldn't win

ugly:
i didn't know eric decker was a premier WR...oh wait he's not
rey looked like he was playing his first game ever
if you told me we would go 0-5 on situations where we needed less then 2 yards before the game i'd have laughed at you
we continue to underuse scott

[quote name='BengalMike' timestamp='1316406465' post='1033570']
I agree with this list so far.
The good- Dalton I think he's a keeper if they can keep him protecteed. Jerome & AJ are beastly so is the dl when bringing the pass rush.

The bad- poor tackling I'm tired off seeing our 260# mlb diving at runners feet and coming up empty. Marvin has a bad habit of getting conservative. Dalton showed in that 3rd qtr what he could do when pushing the ball up field but at the start of the 4th it was back to letting Benson get owned by Joe Mays.

This game was gift wrapped for us but a good learning experience for a young team. [b]Andy seems like the type to not let too many losses like this happen again, if Marvin and his coaching don't hold him back.[/b]
[/quote]
This is an excellent point! I certainly hope this guy continues to develop and the coaches bring him along in the right way. Something the coaches haven't always gotten right, given the talent this team has had in the past.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1316392431' post='1033452']

I couldnt tell if that was just because they had him covered or if there werent plays being called for him.
[/quote]

I saw a few times he was just getting manhandled at the LOS. Maybe he couldn't get into his routes? That's a good way of stopping him. People should try that against the Patriots.

Not too fussed about the long ball. If you get 3 yards every play you win.
I'm just really excited to see such a young team getting really fucking close. They can only improve.
Liking the lack of false-start/delay penalties.
Even in the loss yesterday it never felt 'typical'. I really believed and am still not pissed off.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1316496717' post='1034029']
Fuck Joseph. He's just a guy on another team. And its just pathetic to have people still whining about the guy. How long is this going to go on?
[/quote]

Forever. Joseph was awesome, soP will not be forgiven quickly for that blunder.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1316496717' post='1034029']
Fuck Joseph. He's just a guy on another team. And its just pathetic to have people still whining about the guy. How long is this going to go on?
[/quote]

Pretty much every time until the guy that replaced him plays on his level consistently. Be if Clements, which I doubt, or a draft pick in the future.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316497462' post='1034034']

Forever. Joseph was awesome, soP will not be forgiven quickly for that blunder.
[/quote]

Yeah, he should have used his MIND CONTROL RAY to make JJ resign.

We didn't sign Tom Brady in the offseason either. Now there's a blunder.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1316530774' post='1034144']

Yeah, he should have used his MIND CONTROL RAY to make JJ resign.

We didn't sign Tom Brady in the offseason either. Now there's a blunder.
[/quote]

If by MIND CONTROL RAY you mean franchise tag, then yes.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1316530813' post='1034145']

If by MIND CONTROL RAY you mean franchise tag, then yes.
[/quote]

Yeah, that worked so well when we used it on Justin Smith and Stacey Andrews. We can really use a bitter ass cornerback.

Carson put us in rebuilding mode. No sense in screwing with JJ to pretend otherwise.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1316530941' post='1034147']

Yeah, that worked so well when we used it on Justin Smith and Stacey Andrews. We can really use a bitter ass cornerback.

Carson put us in rebuilding mode. No sense in screwing with JJ to pretend otherwise.
[/quote]

So the franchise tag is off the books from now on just cause you messed up before? Child please.

When was JJ ever bitter?

Archived