Penn State assistant coach charged with abusing boys

Egg Shen

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1320941157' post='1059908']

If this is true, he did his job. He told his bosses. It was their job to proceed with it. Paterno didn't cover up anything. He went through the Chain of Command.
[/quote]

Actually Paterno cover up a child molester by not making sure he was arrested after he was witnessed sodomizing a child in the team lockerroom. All it would have took was one phone call by Paterno to the police dept and this would have ended years ago. Paterno covered his ass so he could continue winning football games, he placed the quest for his holy grail over the lives of the children his former right hand man was destroying on his campus in his football team's lockerroom.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320937603' post='1059876']
oh geesh, now they're investigating whether Sandusky was pimping out the boys to rich school donors. This story may about to get much, much worse.
[/quote]

Actually this would make sense, why else would the President, VP of Finance, and AD try to sweep this under the rug and pretend like it never happened.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/joshkatzowitz"]joshkatzowitz[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Josh Katzowitz[/size][/color]
[color=#999999][size=2]
[/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]
Tom Bradley, PSU interim coach, just said Mike McQueary will be coaching this Saturday. It's kinda unbelievable.[/font]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/joshkatzowitz/status/134664132963217408"]2 minutes ago[/url] [size=2][url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1320941755' post='1059916']

Actually Paterno cover up a child molester by not making sure he was arrested after he was witnessed sodomizing a child in the team lockerroom. All it would have took was one phone call by Paterno to the police dept and this would have ended years ago. Paterno covered his ass so he could continue winning football games, he placed the quest for his holy grail over the lives of the children his former right hand man was destroying on his campus in his football team's lockerroom.

[/quote]

He didn't cover it up. He reported it. The rest of what you're saying is just speculation. You have no idea what would've happened if Paterno called the police. if he was only concerned with protecting Sandusky, he wouldn't have told anybody. They fired Paterno because they had to make a statement. Why would they fire him and not everybody else that had knowledge of it? Like McQueary?

If this is true, he did his job. He told his bosses. It was their job to proceed with it. Paterno didn't cover up anything. He went through the Chain of Command.
[/quote]

Legally... yes, he did his job.

But, when you know something like this has happened... and this is the second time you're aware of an incident with this guy and young boys (since you'd been questioned about it in 98) you don't just tell the AD and then drop it. Especially when Paterno had more power than any of those guys on the campus did. If Paterno had taken the additional steps most responsible adults would have then this would be a non-issue at this point.

As an aside... just so you know Pattern - Sandusky retired in 1999, actually was offered the option to retire to cover this all up. Or so the rumor mill is spurring. He just had access to the facilities. So, this second incident is 3 years post retirement... and Paterno still did jack shit beyond call the AD and let him know. Kinda like telling him the parking lot light is burned out. Unbelievable he'd just let it go at that.

I'm not saying he did anything to cover it up. I'm saying as an adult father, with such egregious allegations against a former employee of several years, allegedly occurring within your work area, you'd follow up on it more than just passing it up the chain. Paterno himself has admitted that he should have done more.

[/quote]

If this is all you would do, I do not like you anymore.

There is a big difference between legal responsibility and professional responsibility.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1320943950' post='1059936']

If this is all you would do, I do not like you anymore.

There is a big difference between legal responsibility and professional responsibility.
[/quote]

All I'm saying is that the blame seems to be inconsistently distributed for this. Paterno is the most well-known figure in this fiasco, so he seems to be getting the brunt of it. For all of that power that you guys keep saying that he had there, he seems pretty powerless now.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1320947897' post='1059954']

All I'm saying is that the blame seems to be inconsistently distributed for this. Paterno is the most well-known figure in this fiasco, so he seems to be getting the brunt of it. For all of that power that you guys keep saying that he had there, he seems pretty powerless now.
[/quote]

No shit he is powerless now, he was just overthrown.

When he did have the power, he didn't do shit to stop any paedo'ing.

Fuck him.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1320947897' post='1059954']

[/quote]
Inconsistently distributed???
President of University - fired.
Football Coach - fired.

The only other two that should be gone now are only still in the employ of the university at this time is because both are on extended vacations or leave that they decided to take earlier this week. I'm quite sure that once contact can be made with them they'll be fired as well. And, the current coaching staff (which include McQueary) will be fired as well.

The dude owned that town and university. He had more power than the president. Today - he is powerless, because he's been relieved of his duties.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1320949105' post='1059961']
Inconsistently distributed???
President of University - fired.
Football Coach - fired.

The only other two that should be gone now are only still in the employ of the university at this time is because both are on extended vacations or leave that they decided to take earlier this week. I'm quite sure that once contact can be made with them they'll be fired as well. And, the current coaching staff (which include McQueary) will be fired as well.

The dude owned that town and university. He had more power than the president. Today - he is powerless, because he's been relieved of his duties.
[/quote]

I'm saying that if he had as much power as you guys said he did, he would still be the coach.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1320949255' post='1059963']

I'm saying that if he had as much power as you guys said he did, he would still be the coach.
[/quote]

He does still have to answer to a Board of Trustees... and, quite honestly, the only reason that the Board of Trustees finally took action against him was because of the groundswell, nationwide, of public outrage that they were doing nothing.

That tells you how powerful he WAS in that town.

I am beyond sad and just moved onto mad.

Here's my theory:

JoPa knew full well what Sandusky was up to way back in the late 90s. He tried to distance himself from Sandusky but just didn’t do it very well.

When McQueary caught Sandusky in 2002, Joe or the AD or someone confronted Sandusky. Sandusky threatened to spill the beans on the fact that Joe was aware of what transpired previously if they went to the police. Therefore, Joe and company tried to sweep it under the carpet rather than be implicated themselves.

Once Sandusky knew he could hold this over Joe’s head, he had free run of the place. Joe and company needed to keep McQueary close so he didn’t spout off either.

Obviously this has gone horribly wrong and it’s going to get way worse. Sandusky and McQueary will confess that Joe and others knew everything. There will be legal charges against Joe and more.

BTW – how can Bradley let McQueary coach. Makes him look bad too.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1320951696' post='1059990']
Another interesting twist...

[url="http://deadspin.com/5857966/the-mystery-of-ray-gricar-the-prosecutor-who-failed-to-prosecute-jerry-sandusky-and-who-might-be-dead"]http://deadspin.com/...o-might-be-dead[/url]
[/quote]

yea I heard about that yesterday. Beyond a coincidence IMO.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1320951122' post='1059981']

stop trolling
[/quote]

He's not trolling, he's insane. Sad, I thought Hooky was cool but he is a pedohider apologist.

[img]http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ludkwaJLls1qdme6io1_400.jpg[/img]
[img]http://cdn.wwtdd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/pedo_statue_paterno_1.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1320951439' post='1059987']
I am beyond sad and just moved onto mad.

Here's my theory:

JoPa knew full well what Sandusky was up to way back in the late 90s. He tried to distance himself from Sandusky but just didn’t do it very well.

When McQueary caught Sandusky in 2002, Joe or the AD or someone confronted Sandusky. Sandusky threatened to spill the beans on the fact that Joe was aware of what transpired previously if they went to the police. Therefore, Joe and company tried to sweep it under the carpet rather than be implicated themselves.

Once Sandusky knew he could hold this over Joe’s head, he had free run of the place. Joe and company needed to keep McQueary close so he didn’t spout off either.

Obviously this has gone horribly wrong and it’s going to get way worse. Sandusky and McQueary will confess that Joe and others knew everything. There will be legal charges against Joe and more.

BTW – how can Bradley let McQueary coach. Makes him look bad too.
[/quote]

Well... I guess you could go with that theory.

Of course, there is no evidence to support it. 15 different theories can be pulled out of thin air as to why what occurred was allowed to. None of them matter. Bottom line is that a lot of adults, whom were trusted to have kids best interests at heart, failed miserably.

Paterno said it best yesterday afternoon...
[quote][i]I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today. [/i][/quote]

Read that statement again... might be more revealing than he thinks. I'd say not going public serves the best interests of the university... don't you?

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1320951931' post='1059991']

How does this make me a troll? Do you know what trolling means?[/quote]

If you had been Paterno, and you were hearing for the second time that someone you knew was molesting little boys, would you have only gone to your boss?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1320959396' post='1060054']

Of course, there is no evidence to support it. 15 different theories can be pulled out of thin air as to why what occurred was allowed to. None of them matter. Bottom line is that a lot of adults, whom were trusted to have kids best interests at heart, failed miserably.

[b]Read that statement again... might be more revealing than he thinks. I'd say not going public serves the best interests of the university... don't you?[/b]
[/quote]

I'm sure he, the AD, the President of PSU, and everyone else involved who knew about Sandusky felt this way. They if they had him arrested it would be a PR nightmare for the school that prides itself on being holier than the next...Not to mention Paterno probably wouldn't have broken the wins record, which has been his single focus for the past 15 yrs, because what parent is going to send their child to a school that has a molestor on the staff, it's a hard sell to say the least.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1320959396' post='1060054']

[b]Read that statement again... might be more revealing than he thinks. I'd say not going public serves the best interests of the university... don't you?[/b]
[/quote]

was the first thing I thought when I heard that quote Tuesday.

Archived