Is Andy Dalton the long term answer for the Cincinnati Bengals?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1320847561' post='1059294']

For years he argued in favor of Thornton. Kept saying that the fact that he was never released or anything meant he was actually good.
[/quote]
You know what...you're right. I was on the opposite side of that opinion. I never thought Thornton was anything above average (although seemingly a really great guy, and kinda responsible for the inception of this website), but could have been great if he'd developed that swim move that a Jedi master tried in vain to teach his stubborn ass years ago...

For those who do not believe in Dalton as the long term answer yet, this thread was not made to attack you. Everyone has a right to an opinion and some of those are very strong in favor of Dalton, myself included. This thread was created for those doubting Dalton, give us a fair answer as to what any QB, not necessarily just Dalton, has to do to be considered "QB of the future." Or is it a QB's only chance to be deemed as a long term answer if he has the measurables (tall, cannon arm, etc.). There is no bashing here, just looking for your honest opinion.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1320847969' post='1059296']
You know what...you're right. I was on the opposite side of that opinion. I never thought Thornton was anything above average (although seemingly a really great guy, and kinda responsible for the inception of this website), but could have been great if he'd developed that swim move that a Jedi master tried in vain to teach his stubborn ass years ago...
[/quote]

JT's 'problem' was that he didn't want to put on DT weight. The team wanted him 20+ pounds heavier, but he didn't like the long term ramifications of playing at that weight. JT was a solid contributor on the field, and a terrific presence off of it. He could have been a better DT with the weight, but chose to think 'life after football' on the subject. I've got no beef with JT.

I love the "New" Bengals. I love the fire and the "get it done" attitude than seems to originate with Andy Dalton. My answer is clearly Yes.

However...

Even if you are not sold on him long term, why not just enjoy the ride while it lasts??? Jesus christ this team has been an absolute blast to watch this year. I'm been a fan for a loooooonnnnng time and suffered thru the black ages with this team. So this year is just a huge refreshing and exciting chapter in being a Bengals fan. Even if the Bengals lose to the Stealers and Ravens twice each this year, I will still love them for their accomplishments which has exceeded any reasonable persons expectation. This shit about, "well Ima reserve judgement until they....blah, blah, blah"....BS, I'm giving them credit NOW!!! Live for today. How can you not absolutely love and rally behind a team that is 6-2, leading the entire AFC, and is such a blast to watch???

So will Dalton be the next Manning, Brady, etc??? Hell, I don't know, and really it doesn't matter right now. Beat the next team on the schedule. Why worry that some player may "potentially" not be the greatest, especially when the team is 6-2, and don't give me that strength of schedule BS either. With the parity in the NFL, it's "any given Sunday" baby. There are upsets, wins, losses, etc, every single week. That's why they play the games. Not getting behind this team, especially for somebody that's been a fan for a long time, is simply the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Hoping someone does bad, "so we can get rid of him sooner and move on", is simply crazy when all indications are positive to date.

Just my 2 cents

[quote name='esjbh2' timestamp='1320850405' post='1059311']
I love the "New" Bengals. I love the fire and the "get it done" attitude than seems to originate with Andy Dalton. My answer is clearly Yes.

However...

Even if you are not sold on him long term, why not just enjoy the ride while it lasts??? Jesus christ this team has been an absolute blast to watch this year. I'm been a fan for a loooooonnnnng time and suffered thru the black ages with this team. So this year is just a huge refreshing and exciting chapter in being a Bengals fan. Even if the Bengals lose to the Stealers and Ravens twice each this year, I will still love them for their accomplishments which has exceeded any reasonable persons expectation. This shit about, "well Ima reserve judgement until they....blah, blah, blah"....BS, I'm giving them credit NOW!!! Live for today. How can you not absolutely love and rally behind a team that is 6-2, leading the entire AFC, and is such a blast to watch???

So will Dalton be the next Manning, Brady, etc??? Hell, I don't know, and really it doesn't matter right now. Beat the next team on the schedule. Why worry that some player may "potentially" not be the greatest, especially when the team is 6-2, and don't give me that strength of schedule BS either. With the parity in the NFL, it's "any given Sunday" baby. There are upsets, wins, losses, etc, every single week. That's why they play the games. Not getting behind this team, especially for somebody that's been a fan for a long time, is simply the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Hoping someone does bad, "so we can get rid of him sooner and move on", is simply crazy when all indications are positive to date.

Just my 2 cents
[/quote]

Great post! +1

I said after watching the second preseason game, that i thought the kid had "IT". I think so often, we start listening to people and all the "Measurables" and having to be "in the Box", when a lot of football is gumption, intelligence and want to, especially at the QB position. Dalton has all three of these in spades. I will also admit, that to me, a lot of it is playing in Gruden's system, and the fact that he knows Marvin and Gruden have his back. They know he's going to make mistakes, they know he's gong to have bad games, they know he's going to have bad interceptions, but I also think they know he's a winner, he's a fighter, and he's a positive guy and that infiltrates the entire team. I think in five years, we'll be very happy to have him as the Starting QB of the Cincinnati Bengals!

[quote name='Jungletiger' timestamp='1320841964' post='1059257']
Well, we haven't seen the game he bails out the Defense yet so while I like him I am reserving judgement.
[/quote]

Denver was pretty close to that game.

But I'm tired of the 'wait for the QB to save us' thing. Let everyone on the team help save the game on their own.

Even if Dalton struggles the next couple weeks, I think he has shown enough for the team to stick with him and not look to replace him next year or with a vet. If he does struggle vs Pittsburgh and Baltimore, he won't be the first QB to do so and we'll get a chance to see how he handles adversity. If he doesn't struggle, so much the better.

[quote name='BengalLady' timestamp='1320854889' post='1059354']
Dalton reminds me of Kitna with more leadership and arm strength.....oh and height. He has those powerful passes and his accuracy is fantastic.....i am a fan. I think he will be with us for at least 4 years.
[/quote]

Wash your mouth, Kitna sucks. :lol:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320857723' post='1059382']

boy did you miss a fun thread lastnight.
[/quote]

Seriously, I have no idea what everyone is talking about. I saw Go posted a thread about a wager on Dalton's performance vs Steelers. No one else had posted in it at the time, then I logged on today and apparently shit went down.

some great stuff from footballpros.com by the guy who does the stats for sunday night football (and is also a bengals fan):

[quote]The Bengals have been outscored 81-69 in the first half, have outscored opponents 126-59 in the 2nd half.
They have had a halftime lead in only 2 out of 8 games (tied in 1, losing in 5). They have had a lead of more than 3 points going into the 2nd half only once.

They have scored 87 points in the 4th quarter, by far their biggest quarter and more than any other 2 quarters combined.
Andy Dalton has an 85 rating for the year. 100.5 when the Bengals are trailing and a 149.7 rating when they are trailing by at least 9.[/quote]

That last one tells you one thing. When the team is forced to put the ball in Dalton's hands, he's coming up BIG.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1320857897' post='1059385']
Seriously, I have no idea what everyone is talking about. I saw Go posted a thread about a wager on Dalton's performance vs Steelers. No one else had posted in it at the time, then I logged on today and apparently shit went down.
[/quote]

it did not end well. :lol:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320858069' post='1059388']

That last one tells you one thing. When the team is forced to put the ball in Dalton's hands, he's coming up BIG.

[/quote]

Tells me we have some coaches that unlike the past are finally making some midgame adjustments. Which is fucking awesome.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1320858277' post='1059393']

Does it have to be either or?
[/quote]

not at all. But as usual its telling that there's something praising Dalton, but instead of giving Dalton credit, you praise the coaching staff and ignore that Dalton has anything to do with it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320858574' post='1059395']
not at all. But as usual its telling that there's something praising Dalton, but instead of giving Dalton credit, you praise the coaching staff and ignore that Dalton has anything to do with it.
[/quote]

I think you read into it too much.

You gave him credit (deserved), I gave some to the coaching staff too.

[quote name='BengalLady' timestamp='1320854889' post='1059354']
Dalton reminds me of Kitna with more leadership and arm strength.....oh and height. He has those powerful passes and his accuracy is fantastic.....i am a fan. I think he will be with us for at least 4 years.
[/quote]
And with bigger hands, without the game-breaking picks, the spontaneous fumbles without even a pass rush...wait, they ARE exactly alike!

:lol:

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1320859195' post='1059404']
And with bigger hands, without the game-breaking picks,[color=#ff0000] the spontaneous fumbles without even a pass rush[/color]...wait, they ARE exactly alike!

:lol:
[/quote]

He did have that one, but yeah that Kitna fumble still drives me nuts.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1320859027' post='1059399']

[b]I think you read into it too much.[/b]

You gave him credit (deserved), I gave some to the coaching staff too.
[/quote]

I think you're right, he did read into it too much. I don't blame him however. You are coming back from the darkside, Jamie, keep on coming. :good:

Archived