Is Andy Dalton the long term answer for the Cincinnati Bengals?

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1320854680' post='1059351']
Even if Dalton struggles the next couple weeks, I think he has shown enough for the team to stick with him and not look to replace him next year or with a vet. If he does struggle vs Pittsburgh and Baltimore, he won't be the first QB to do so and we'll get a chance to see how he handles adversity. If he doesn't struggle, so much the better.
[/quote]

Some folks lose faith quickly.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1320860330' post='1059424']
I think you're right, he did read into it too much. I don't blame him however. You are coming back from the darkside, Jamie, keep on coming. :good:
[/quote]

Dude I mean can you blame me.....

[img]http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/01/1/8/9/4169771798956259.gif[/img]

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1320861521' post='1059441']
Yeah, I was just poking fun at how absurd that rule looks. He also got lucky on that play in that the ball bounced off a ref near the goal line which stopped it from going into the endzone, even if they had ruled it a fumble.
[/quote]

Yeah thank god that ref was in the way.

Don't know where else to put this, so I will put it here:

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Relevant for discussion of what are reasonable expectations for Dalton against Pittsburgh this weekend:[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 1[/size][sup][size=2]st[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers after two training camps and one year of sitting and watching:[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]20 of 37 (54.1%) for 164 yards 1 TD 2 INTs QB rating of 62.1 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 2[/size][sup][size=2]nd[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers:[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]13 of 25 (52%) for 165 yards 2 TDs 1 INT QB rating of 82.9 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 3[/size][sup][size=2]rd[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers (game 6 of 2005):[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]21 of 36 (58.3%) for 227 yards 0 TDs 2 INTs QB rating of 53.8 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 4[/size][sup][size=2]th[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers: [/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]22 of 38 (57.9%) for 227 yards 3 TDs 0 INTs QB rating of 101.5 (Bengals won)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Palmer’s career record against the Steelers in 12 starts?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]4-8 [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000](I am not counting 2005 playoff loss)(CP missed both games against the Steelers in 2008)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]All of which is to say, “fair” expectations for Andy Dalton in this game against the Steelers look to be a completion percentage around 53% for 165 yards with a 1 TD and 1 INT. That’s the baseline that Palmer showed in his first shots at the Steelers as a youngish starter in 2004. Any game-playing with expectations from certain members/owners of this board should at least be based in fact with reference to what came before Dalton.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]My two cents.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]And there's this: rookie QBs are 1-12 against the Steelers under Lebeau as coordinator.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Hackettj22' timestamp='1320817717' post='1059191']
The thread started earlier this evening about taking bets on how bad Dalton will fail led me to a question. GO, and some others, would rather root for him to fail because they feel he is not the long term solution and it would be better to move on quicker. IMO he is not the second coming, but he is fully capable of being a successful QB in the NFL. Despite his reportedly "weak arm", his intangibles separate him from the next guy. So on to my question.

In all honesty, if you believe Dalton is not the long term answer so therefor it's better we lose now so we move on quicker, at what point does that change. What does Dalton have to accomplish for you to now root for him and believe he is the answer? And be careful, this is a loaded question. We all know about your fondness of Palmer, and I'm assuming you would consider him a long term answer. However, we all know what he accomplished around here. So what does Dalton have to do to change your mind?

The question is not meant to be personal, I actually think its a pretty fair question. It is obviously meant for GO but all responses are welcome.
[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^ douche-nozzle

Dalton could shit his pants on the field and I'd still be behind the kid. The team loves him and he's a rookie playing a very confusing defense. This game is on our defense and Benson to play well. They should expect Dalton to be confused and make some mistakes. I really doubt this is the game Dalton wins the skeptics over... that's just not being realistic.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1320862951' post='1059451']
Don't know where else to put this, so I will put it here:

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Relevant for discussion of what are reasonable expectations for Dalton against Pittsburgh this weekend:[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 1[/size][sup][size=2]st[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers after two training camps and one year of sitting and watching:[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]20 of 37 (54.1%) for 164 yards 1 TD 2 INTs QB rating of 62.1 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 2[/size][sup][size=2]nd[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers:[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]13 of 25 (52%) for 165 yards 2 TDs 1 INT QB rating of 82.9 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 3[/size][sup][size=2]rd[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers (game 6 of 2005):[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]21 of 36 (58.3%) for 227 yards 0 TDs 2 INTs QB rating of 53.8 (Bengals lost)[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Carson Palmer’s 4[/size][sup][size=2]th[/size][/sup][size=3] start against the Steelers: [/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]22 of 38 (57.9%) for 227 yards 3 TDs 0 INTs QB rating of 101.5 (Bengals won)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Palmer’s career record against the Steelers in 12 starts?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]4-8 [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000](I am not counting 2005 playoff loss)(CP missed both games against the Steelers in 2008)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]All of which is to say, “fair” expectations for Andy Dalton in this game against the Steelers look to be a completion percentage around 53% for 165 yards with a 1 TD and 1 INT. That’s the baseline that Palmer showed in his first shots at the Steelers as a youngish starter in 2004. Any game-playing with expectations from certain members/owners of this board should at least be based in fact with reference to what came before Dalton.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]My two cents.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]And there's this: rookie QBs are 1-12 against the Steelers under Lebeau as coordinator.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]
Yes, I too am very curious about what expectations are for these next two games, especially from the non-believers. I love Dalton, but realistically, if he does poorly there's no way I could hold it against him. The above is a very good reality check for all.

[quote name='Bgal' timestamp='1320863714' post='1059458']
Dalton could shit his pants on the field and I'd still be behind the kid. The team loves him and he's a rookie playing a very confusing defense. This game is on our defense and Benson to play well. They should expect Dalton to be confused and make some mistakes. I really doubt this is the game Dalton wins the skeptics over... that's just not being realistic.
[/quote]
Completely agree, good point.

I would love to hear from the non-believers on their "reasonable" expectations. However, I suspect that it's a no win situation regardless. If Dalton does poorly, they've obviously set themselves up for a huge "I told you so" even though I'd argue that if you were withholding judgement and dismissing his accomplishments to date, you have not been paying attention. And if Dalton does well, I'm sure they will find some other excuse or reason to postpone opinion to another day.

:fistpump:

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1320867279' post='1059490']

Now that's the Jamie I like!! :D :D
[/quote]

Dont get all mushy on me Kenneth, someone might accuse us of alternative lifestyles.... not that there's anything wrong with that.

:ninja:

And no I dont me gay, I mean the black and white thing...

:ninja:

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1320863368' post='1059455']
For the record I wasn't completely sold on Palmer untill after that Ravens comeback game. If Dalton can do something like or better than that in these next two games....
[/quote]

Here we go again... Palmer had full OTAs, training camp, sat on the bench a season, yadda, yadda, yadda. Different scenarios.

[b] [size=6]Midseason report: AFC North MVPs[/size][/b]

November, 9, 2011

[b][url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals"]Cincinnati Bengals[/url][/b]: [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14012/andy-dalton"][b]Andy Dalton[/b][/url]

He's the first rookie quarterback to win six of his first eight starts since [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger"]Ben Roethlisberger[/url] in 2004. And the Bengals are winning because of Dalton, not in spite of him. He has guided Cincinnati to three fourth-quarter comebacks in his past five starts. The reason is he's coming through in pressure situations. When trailing in games, Dalton has completed 65 percent of his throws and compiled a 101.5 quarterback rating. When in the red zone, Dalton has been efficient with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions. The fifth quarterback selected in the 2011 draft, Dalton has triple the amount of wins than [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13994/cam-newton"]Cam Newton[/url] and better stats than any other rookie passer in the NFL right now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/48013/midseason-report-afc-north-mvps

[quote name='McBallerson' timestamp='1320869053' post='1059498']

Here we go again... Palmer had full OTAs, training camp, sat on the bench a season, yadda, yadda, yadda. Different scenarios.
[/quote]

So? I'm not allowed to be skeptical until I see something similar?

[quote name='McBallerson' timestamp='1320870559' post='1059515']
Didn't say you were. I was just pointing out there are different scenarios. That is all.
[/quote]

I'm aware of the scenarios, I'm happy with how he's playing this season so far, but the title of the thread was about the long term, so...

[quote name='esjbh2' timestamp='1320850405' post='1059311']
I love the "New" Bengals. I love the fire and the "get it done" attitude than seems to originate with Andy Dalton. My answer is clearly Yes.

However...

Even if you are not sold on him long term, why not just enjoy the ride while it lasts??? Jesus christ this team has been an absolute blast to watch this year. I'm been a fan for a loooooonnnnng time and suffered thru the black ages with this team. So this year is just a huge refreshing and exciting chapter in being a Bengals fan. Even if the Bengals lose to the Stealers and Ravens twice each this year, I will still love them for their accomplishments which has exceeded any reasonable persons expectation. This shit about, "well Ima reserve judgement until they....blah, blah, blah"....BS, I'm giving them credit NOW!!! Live for today. How can you not absolutely love and rally behind a team that is 6-2, leading the entire AFC, and is such a blast to watch???

So will Dalton be the next Manning, Brady, etc??? Hell, I don't know, and really it doesn't matter right now. Beat the next team on the schedule. Why worry that some player may "potentially" not be the greatest, especially when the team is 6-2, and don't give me that strength of schedule BS either. With the parity in the NFL, it's "any given Sunday" baby. There are upsets, wins, losses, etc, every single week. That's why they play the games. Not getting behind this team, especially for somebody that's been a fan for a long time, is simply the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Hoping someone does bad, "so we can get rid of him sooner and move on", is simply crazy when all indications are positive to date.

Just my 2 cents
[/quote]

AMEN BROTHER!! ^^^^^ I'M WITH SMARTY ^^^^^^^

Archived