[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1326031700' post='1087049']

Why the hell would we waste a 1st on a DT???????
[/quote]
[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1326032070' post='1087051']

Not a fan of Devon Still. And (hoping) Sims comes back, this isn't nearly the need that interior OL and CB are, IMO.
[/quote]

alright it dosen't have to be a 1st round be but the middle of the defense has to be addressed,because domata peko is not the anwser.he not getting in the back field,instead he is getting push back or is blown up,at the point of attack.and dosen't help carlos dunlap or michael jonhson.I think domata peko would be better of in a 3-4 defense, then 4-3.even if sim come's back would he be a starter because outside of sim and atkins,peko get's pushed around and get neutralized easily. and yesterday it was shown and it was exsoped.I also pick kevin zeithler too,he's and offensive gaurd from wisconsin,who has been apart of a westcoast offense under jim harbaugh.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1326054193' post='1087253']

Here we go again... ;)
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure we will be getting one for JJoe. It's certainly the way it's worked out in years past. So long as we didn't add anyone via FA that would "cancel" out losing him to the Texans. Unless I'm missing something.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' timestamp='1326054405' post='1087255']

I'm pretty sure we will be getting one for JJoe. It's certainly the way it's worked out in years past. So long as we didn't add anyone via FA that would "cancel" out losing him to the Texans. Unless I'm missing something.
[/quote]

We've been through it in another thread. It all comes down to who does and who does not "qualify", but it's not looking good. We apparently signed more qualifying free agents than we lost.

Edit: actually, it was discussed in THIS thread...starting around page 6.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1326054768' post='1087259']
I think we will get one. It was big contract and he made the pro bowl.

The majority of Bengal FA adds were minor contracts.
[/quote]

The size of the contracts don't matter if you signed more qualifying free agents than you lost.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1326047769' post='1087182']
Mj93 is really the only disappointment to me on the d line.

He shows flashes of greatness but they are few and far between.
[/quote]

I'm sure we all would like MJ93 to be better at this point, but he wasn't exactly bad. He quietly had 6 sacks in that rotation, tied for 2nd most on the team.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1326055194' post='1087266']
So we are getting one?
[/quote]

We would probably get one [b]IF[/b] we signed the [b]same number[/b] of qualifying free agents that we lost. If we signed more than we lost, there will be no comp picks (pretty sure of that...but not positive).

I like to first draft best as well. But I could honestly see the Bengals pulling a surprise and take Cordy Glenn over DeCastro (possibly), given that Glenn's bigger physical dimensions and strengths are more suited to the mould of a typical Cincy O-lineman.

As for Dennard, from what I can gather, he's the best cover corner in the draft besides Janoris Jenkins. But apparently his tackling lacks physicality, a bit like Jo Jo when we first got him in round 1.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1326058246' post='1087295']
I like to first draft best as well. But I could honestly see the Bengals pulling a surprise and take Cordy Glenn over DeCastro (possibly), given that Glenn's bigger physical dimensions and strengths are more suited to the mould of a typical Cincy O-lineman.

As for Dennard, from what I can gather, he's the best cover corner in the draft besides Janoris Jenkins. But apparently his tackling lacks physicality, a bit like Jo Jo when we first got him in round 1.
[/quote]

hmm everything I've read has praised Dennard's physicality. He roughed up Alshon Jeffrey the other day for 2 quarters, to the point where Jeffrey got frustrated, started a fight, and they both got ejected.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1326045457' post='1087146']
I dunno. From week 10 on, we only had 2 games we didn't allow over 100 yards rushing. There's something wrong in the front 7. A big run-stuffing defensive tackle wouldn't break my heart. Signing a hard-nosed defensive end who can hold his ground wouldn't either. Jared Crick in round 2 if he fell would be a good fit.
[/quote]

how or where would you use jared crick? why i ask is i was earlier pretty high on the guy, but am leery now. i don't think he fits anywhere into what we need. so share with me/us your thinking.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1326060875' post='1087308']

how or where would you use jared crick? why i ask is i was earlier pretty high on the guy, but am leery now. i don't think he fits anywhere into what we need. so share with me/us your thinking.
[/quote]
The way I see it, you use a big guy like that as an end on obvious running downs and let him hold ground so nobody like Arian Foster can't cut back and run for twenty yards. He's got some pass rushing ability so he could become a three down guy as well. We aren't a three four defense, but that doesn't mean we can't use some bigger guys to occupy blockers imo. Would certainly free our linebackers up to hit their gaps.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1326061284' post='1087310']
The way I see it, you use a big guy like that as an end on obvious running downs and let him hold ground so nobody like Arian Foster can't cut back and run for twenty yards. He's got some pass rushing ability so he could become a three down guy as well. We aren't a three four defense, but that doesn't mean we can't use some bigger guys to occupy blockers imo. Would certainly free our linebackers up to hit their gaps.
[/quote]

i think he's going to be drafted by a 3-4 team to fill a 5 role. he's a bit too slow for what we need at DE, and a bit too weak for what we need at tackle. i really don't think there's a place for him in our defense, at least not one that would equate to the draft pick we'd have to se for him. if there was, it would likely be as a stongside LDE, where we should find dunlap taking on an even bigger role next season, much as he would have if his hamstring injury hadn't hampered him for so long this year.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1326062901' post='1087324']

i think he's going to be drafted by a 3-4 team to fill a 5 role. he's a bit too slow for what we need at DE, and a bit too weak for what we need at tackle. i really don't think there's a place for him in our defense, at least not one that would equate to the draft pick we'd have to se for him. if there was, it would likely be as a stongside LDE, where we should find dunlap taking on an even bigger role next season, much as he would have if his hamstring injury hadn't hampered him for so long this year.
[/quote]
Personally, I see him in the mold of a less athletic, tougher against the run Dunlap. I wouldn't worry about his speed if he is strong enough to bullrush those tackles, use an occasional spin move, or rip. If he can hold against the run and take away running lanes, anything else would be icing on the cake.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1326065463' post='1087382']
Personally, I see him in the mold of a less athletic, tougher against the run Dunlap. I wouldn't worry about his speed if he is strong enough to bullrush those tackles, use an occasional spin move, or rip. If he can hold against the run and take away running lanes, anything else would be icing on the cake.
[/quote]

I see Crick much more of the mold of Justin Smith than Dunlap.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1326078982' post='1087575']
Crick was aweful last year ill pass. He was injured too
[/quote]
2010? He had 9.5 sacks and 17 TFL. He didn't play much this past year due to a torn pectoral muscle. I just like his toughness and motor. He's a big guy too. Every team needs those glue guys who can hold their blocks against the run and can move inside to DT on third down. We have it with Fanene, but who knows if he is staying. This guy has more upside.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1326034292' post='1087073']

At the same time, most of the top RBs in the NFL were drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. Waiting until the mid to late rounds to fill a huge hole at starting RB is a recipe for disaster.
[/quote]

Of the 6 RBs that made the Pro Bowl this year, none were 1st round picks.
4 were 2nd round picks, 1 was a 3rd rounder the last 1 was undrafted.

Give me Hightower (so play sam) and Barron in the 1st, Osemele in the 2nd, Toon in the 3rd and Robert Turbin rb in the 4th and I would be happy.

We need guards but there are a lot of ways we can go with those two first rd picks that would immensely help this team.

[quote name='brian55662' timestamp='1326127381' post='1087705']
Give me Hightower (so play sam) and Barron in the 1st, Osemele in the 2nd, Toon in the 3rd and Robert Turbin rb in the 4th and I would be happy.

We need guards but there are a lot of ways we can go with those two first rd picks that would immensely help this team.
[/quote]
No offense but the first round picks are atrocious. Firstly, we need offense a lot more than defense. Second, Hightower is a borderline 1st round pick and has NO business outside in a 4-3. Also Barron is a Mays/Nelson clone.

Osemele is good in 2 but not sure he lasts that long. Toon is a bordeline 1st round pick. No clue who Turbin is but I'd hate waiting until the 4th round to address a huge hole and our 2nd biggest need.

Archived