Senior Bowl Rosters, Practice and Game thread

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1327793964' post='1092731']

getting hit 4yds behind the line of scrimmage because of bad oline play?

:39:
[/quote]
not on that play. im just saying from watching this game. inside runner. not too much top-end speed. he seems like he's breaking more tackles, but i dont see that happening as much in the league. how about Juron though?

[size=4] Senior Bowl Notes/Observations[/size]

[size=4][u]North Squad[/u]:[/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif] [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Chris Polk, - (RB) – (University of Washington) – Picked up some tough yards, displayed patience and ability to break tackles. However, he does not seem very fast in the open field. [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Brandon Boykin, - (CB) – (University of Georgia) - Had a kickoff return in the first quarter where he never looked to have really get anywhere near ton speed and ran with hesitation, however he did cover his guys pretty well.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Brad Smelley, – (TE) – (University of Alabama) –Made a great catch early, made his way back to the ball. Does a decent job blocking as well.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Vick Ballard, - (RB -) (Mississippi State) - Seems like he can hit the holes fast for a guy his size and has the ability to carry guys on his back. Will probably be available in the middle rounds?[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Dwight Jones, – (WR) – (University of North Carolina) - Seems like a big physical receiver who doesn’t necessarily need speed to create separation. Made a catch near the sideline in the first.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Brandon Taylor, – (S) – (Louisiana State University) – Took advantage of a poorly thrown ball and looked like he had decent return skills. [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Juron Criner, - (WR) – (University of Arizona) - Although he made a couple of catches in the second, I noticed he rounded off one of his routes pretty bad like Jerome Simpson used to do early on at Coastal. Was not necessarily crisp but he got plenty of targets due to the fact his QB was the one throwing the ball. Made a good TD catch in traffic though and overall did a good job. [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Quinton Coples, – (DE) – (University of North Carolina) - A man among boys out there. Could not be matched up and gets to the QB quickly. Even when he does not get there he has the awareness to digest the play and throw his hands up to knock the ball down. Won’t reach us obviously, but dude is extremely impressive out there.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]SOUTH SQUAD:[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Joe Adams, – (WR) – (University of Arkansas) -Got open on routes, but fumbled on the second catch he made. However, he rebounded and made some great plays making catches and quickly turning up-field. Seems like a guy who could get something out of nothing. Definitely YAC-tastic. (Returns punts as well).[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Courtney Upshaw, - (LB) – (University of Alabama) - Made a bad read early which allowed the QB to scroll out for a first down scramble and was quiet for most of the game, but he showed a great motor and eventually was awarded with a sack. [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]T.J. Graham, - (WR) – (North Carolina State) - Displayed ability to follow blockers and took advantage of a short kick-off by the North kicker. Also showing great awareness on the sidelines during a prayer of a throw and also made a catch across the middle of the field and is great in the YAC category.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Brandon Weeden, - (QB) – (Oklahoma State) -Makes me thank God we have a guy like Dalton. Mayock says he could be a first rounder. I would be shocked if he went any sooner than mid second.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Isaiah Pead, - (RB) – (University of Cincinnati) – Showed remarkable burst on two great punt returns. He set up his blocks very well (which he also does with his runs) and almost took both punt returns to the house. I also noticed he sells the play action very well. [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Doug Martin, - (RB) - (Boise State) - Extremely impressed by this guy. He did all the things you want to see: block downfield, showed good vision, toughness, and a couple times looked as if he was done and spun out of a bad situation. I don’t know how you guys feel on RB’s, but I’ve always felt like the worth of a RB has become less and less over the years and that you can still find talent deep at this position. I’d like to wait and take a look at a guy like this.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Gerell Robinson, – (WR) – (Arizona State University) - Although he had a TD catch, he dropped a ball wide open earlier in the game. Then again, a lot of wide-outs had trouble hanging on to the ball in this game, particularly across the middle. [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Lennon Creer, - (RB) – (Louisiana Tech) – I loved this guy in the East/West. Again he showed toughness again on a sweep. Made a great catch to haul it in and did not shy away from contact at the end of the run. [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Overall, the three guys who impressed me the most today:[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]1. Joe Adams[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]2. Doug Martin[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]3. Isaiah Pead[/font][/size]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=4] [/size][/font]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/GoBEARCATS"]GoBEARCATS[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Cincinnati Bearcats[/size][/color]
[color=#999999][size=2]
[/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]
RB Isaiah Pead will participate in the All-Star Football Challenge in Indianapolis on Feb. 2. Event will air on ESPN2 on Super Bowl Sunday.[/font]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/GoBEARCATS/status/163409442602352640"]3 minutes ago [/url][size=2][url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]
[color=#999999][size=2]Retweeted by [url="https://twitter.com/#!/JohnThornton"][b]JohnThornton[/b][/url][/size][/color]

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1327795490' post='1092738']God. Coples would be a wet dream, but it seems like he lines up on the LE like Dunlap. Not that they couldn't make it work somehow.[/quote]

NASCAR package. Johnson, Atkins, Dunlap, Coples. That would be a bitch!

[b] [size=6]Adams, Pead, South team defenders stick out in Senior Bowl[/size][/b]

Posted by Ben Kercheval on January 28, 2012, 7:47 PM EST

One of the primary story lines heading into this year’s Senior Bowl was the 2011 quarterback class. After Stanford’s [b]Andrew Luck[/b] and Baylor’s [b]Robert Griffin III[/b], many NFL scouts and analysts felt this QB group dropped off.

But there were some intriguing quarterbacks participating throughout the week. Wisconsin’s [b]Russell Wilson[/b] and Boise State’s [b]Kellen Moore[/b] both stand under six feet tall, but have excelled in decision-making and accuracy. On the other hand, [b]Brandon Weeden[/b] out of Oklahoma State can make all the throws, but is nearing 30 years old.

[b]Nick Foles[/b] out of Arizona had the best day for the South, which ended up losing 23-13 to the North, but many of his completions went to former teammate [b]Juron Criner, [/b]including a 20-yard touchdown.

Moore and Wilson were up and down. It’s pretty clear, especially for Wilson, that they play their best when they’re outside the pocket and on the move. Wilson was especially hesitant when he had to stay in the pocket to make throws, with one late pass intercepted.

Other offensive stars included Cincinnati running back and Big East Player of the Year [b]Isaiah Pead, [/b]who rushed eight times for 31 yards. Pead also had two punt returns for nearly 100 yards, earning him MVP status. Pead weighed in at just 193 pounds this week, so there would obviously be doubts if he could carry the load of a regular NFL back, but he was insanely productive for the Bearcats and really showed his versatility today. He has great acceleration through holes and even showed some toughness at the end of runs. Barring a terrible combine, his stock continues to rise.

Arkansas wide receiver [b]Joe Adams[/b] also had a big day, catching 8 passes for 133 yards. This guy was raved about all week during Senior Bowl practices and it showed today. He’s as slippery as soap and should have a lot of value in the return game.

On defense, Marshall defensive end [b]Vinny Curry[/b] was all over the place with a pass deflection and a sack. Curry made some postseason All-America teams this past season and always seems to be around the action.

North Carolina was well represented on defense too. Linebacker [b]Zach Brown[/b] and defensive end[b] Quinton Coples[/b] both had their names called plenty today. Coples’ athleticism was very evident.

Other players with notable performances from today: Alabama linebacker [b]Courtney Upshaw[/b], South Carolina defensive end[b] Melvin Ingram, [/b]Mississippi State running back [b]Vick Ballard[/b], Michigan Stat quarterback [b]Kirk Cousins[/b].

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/28/adams-pead-south-defenders-stick-out-in-senior-bowl/

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1327800039' post='1092755']
Does anyone think Pead could actually be a 20-25 carry a game guy?

I would go with Pead in the 3rd or something if you sign a guy like Bush in FA. But not as my starting RB.
[/quote]

He needs to put on weight, but from what I've read he has the frame to do so.

[quote name='ButchWalkerRokks' timestamp='1327794735' post='1092736']
[size=4] Senior Bowl Notes/Observations[/size]

[size=4][u]North Squad[/u]:[/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Chris Polk, - (RB) – (University of Washington) – Picked up some tough yards, displayed patience and ability to break tackles. However, he does not seem very fast in the open field. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Brandon Boykin, - (CB) – (University of Georgia) - Had a kickoff return in the first quarter where he never looked to have really get anywhere near ton speed and ran with hesitation, however he did cover his guys pretty well.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Brad Smelley, – (TE) – (University of Alabama) –Made a great catch early, made his way back to the ball. Does a decent job blocking as well.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Vick Ballard, - (RB -) (Mississippi State) - Seems like he can hit the holes fast for a guy his size and has the ability to carry guys on his back. Will probably be available in the middle rounds?[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Dwight Jones, – (WR) – (University of North Carolina) - Seems like a big physical receiver who doesn’t necessarily need speed to create separation. Made a catch near the sideline in the first.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Brandon Taylor, – (S) – (Louisiana State University) – Took advantage of a poorly thrown ball and looked like he had decent return skills. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Juron Criner, - (WR) – (University of Arizona) - Although he made a couple of catches in the second, I noticed he rounded off one of his routes pretty bad like Jerome Simpson used to do early on at Coastal. Was not necessarily crisp but he got plenty of targets due to the fact his QB was the one throwing the ball. Made a good TD catch in traffic though and overall did a good job. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Quinton Coples, – (DE) – (University of North Carolina) - A man among boys out there. Could not be matched up and gets to the QB quickly. Even when he does not get there he has the awareness to digest the play and throw his hands up to knock the ball down. Won’t reach us obviously, but dude is extremely impressive out there.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]SOUTH SQUAD:[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Joe Adams, – (WR) – (University of Arkansas) -Got open on routes, but fumbled on the second catch he made. However, he rebounded and made some great plays making catches and quickly turning up-field. Seems like a guy who could get something out of nothing. Definitely YAC-tastic. (Returns punts as well).[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Courtney Upshaw, - (LB) – (University of Alabama) - Made a bad read early which allowed the QB to scroll out for a first down scramble and was quiet for most of the game, but he showed a great motor and eventually was awarded with a sack. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]T.J. Graham, - (WR) – (North Carolina State) - Displayed ability to follow blockers and took advantage of a short kick-off by the North kicker. Also showing great awareness on the sidelines during a prayer of a throw and also made a catch across the middle of the field and is great in the YAC category.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Brandon Weeden, - (QB) – (Oklahoma State) -Makes me thank God we have a guy like Dalton. Mayock says he could be a first rounder. I would be shocked if he went any sooner than mid second.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Isaiah Pead, - (RB) – (University of Cincinnati) – Showed remarkable burst on two great punt returns. He set up his blocks very well (which he also does with his runs) and almost took both punt returns to the house. I also noticed he sells the play action very well. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Doug Martin, - (RB) - (Boise State) - Extremely impressed by this guy. He did all the things you want to see: block downfield, showed good vision, toughness, and a couple times looked as if he was done and spun out of a bad situation. I don’t know how you guys feel on RB’s, but I’ve always felt like the worth of a RB has become less and less over the years and that you can still find talent deep at this position. I’d like to wait and take a look at a guy like this.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Gerell Robinson, – (WR) – (Arizona State University) - Although he had a TD catch, he dropped a ball wide open earlier in the game. Then again, a lot of wide-outs had trouble hanging on to the ball in this game, particularly across the middle. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Lennon Creer, - (RB) – (Louisiana Tech) – I loved this guy in the East/West. Again he showed toughness again on a sweep. Made a great catch to haul it in and did not shy away from contact at the end of the run. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]Overall, the three guys who impressed me the most today:[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]1. Joe Adams[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]2. Doug Martin[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif]3. Isaiah Pead[/font][/size]

[/quote]

To my very untrained eye:

QB - Wilson is good when he's outside the pocket... has some Brad Smith to him. Weedon didn't look great - made some bad decisions. Moore is very accurate, but his receivers didn't help him. His height will be an issue. The SD State QB (forget his name) didn't impress me.

RB - Pead (running and returning) and Martin (loved Martin's breaking tackles and hitting the hole quickly, and also loved the block downfield on the TD pass and run). Pead is really quick and shifty. Rainey didn't look great to me, but I've seen a number of his college games at FL and think he can be a solid role player. Thought Ganaway and Polk looked like between the tackles guys with no wiggle.

WR - Robinson looked pretty good, and for the most part, I liked Criner as well - he made a number of catches and with his size, could be a good red zone threat. Joe Adams looked a lot like Eddie Royal to me, with his YAC ability. He had a very good game also, save for the fumble early in the game. Jeff Fuller didn't look very good, and Posey was up and down... missed a pretty easy TD catch. TJ Graham is good with the ball in his hands - really fast.

OL - Glenn had a good game; Adams, too. Osemele made some blocks, but he doesn't look athletic enough to be a T. Interestingly, Mayock said that he initially thought of Glenn as a G, but after seeing him at T, he'd play him there first in the NFL - basically, indicating that he was more athletic than initially thought.

DL - Coples was a beast as you stated. Upshaw looked pretty good. Also liked Vinny Curry off the edge and I thought Martin (Go Blue!) looked pretty solid in the middle. I didn't see a lot from Shea McClellin or Bequette, but both can rush the passer. Reyes (U Conn) looks quick as in inside guy, and reportedly he had a good week of practice also.

LB - As someone else noted, I thought Wagner from Utah State looked good. Zach Brown's speed flashed, but I think he's Howard-like from an athletic standpoint. I would prefer someone more stout at the point of attack. Lavonte David was pretty active, and he made a nice block on Pead's first (longer) punt return.

DB - Thought Heyward from Vandy made some plays. From what I saw, Janoris Jenkins wasn't great. He was burned on one play where he peaked into the backfield, but Cousins missed a wide open WR who ran past him. He did have a nice open-field tackle on one of Pead's punt returns. Boykin looks quick and can recover well... he had good coverage on a scramble play that resulted in a catch. Fletcher and Johnson (Iowa State) didn't look good. Fleming had a nice forced fumble on Joe Adams.

[b] [size=6]Jenkins can be shutdown corner[/size][/b]

Posted Jan. 28, 2012 @ 2:07 p.m. ET
By Nolan Nawrocki

[i]The following is the last in a series of scouting reports for draft prospects who are participating in this year's Senior Bowl. These reports from PFW draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki have been running all week leading up to Saturday evening's game in Mobile, Ala.[/i]

[b]CB Janoris Jenkins #1
North Alabama[/b]
[b]Height:[/b] 5-9 3/4 [b]Weight:[/b] 191 [b]Speed:[/b] 4.45 (est.)
[b]Arm:[/b] 30 3/8 [b]Hand:[/b] 8 1/4 [b]Age:[/b] 23

[b]Notes[/b]
First name is pronounced "ja-NORRIS."[i] Parade[/i] All-American at Pahokee (Fla.) High, where he won a pair of state titles as a cornerback/running back. As a true freshman at Florida in 2008 (wore jersey No. 29), started 12-of-14 games (yielded a pair of September starts to Wondy Pierre-Louis) at the field corner and tallied 39 tackles, 11 pass breakups and three interceptions with one sack and a forced fumble. Had finger surgery in April '09, then was arrested in late May on misdemeanor charges of affray and resisting arrest without violence after he was involved in a fight and Tasered. Was suspended for the '09 season opener before starting the remaining 13 games at the field corner spot opposite Cleveland Browns 2010 first-rounder Joe Haden and logging 38-6-2 with three tackles for loss and a forced fumble. Started 11-of-12 games at left cornerback in '10, posting 44-8-3 with six tackles for loss and one sack. Saw action as a punt returner with 18 punts for 150 yards (8.3-yard average) and no touchdowns. Missed the Outback Bowl after right shoulder surgery (torn labrum). Was arrested in January and April '11 for marijuana possession and dismissed from the Gators. Transferred to Division II North Alabama. Recorded 53-4-2 with four tackles for loss and one blocked kick vs. Southern Arkansas in 12 starts in ’11. Was a standout returner with 18-390-3 (21.7) on punt returns (tied school record with three touchdowns) and 13-309-0 (23.8) as a kickoff returner. Also had a 49-yard fumble return for a touchdown against Abilene Christian.

[b]Upside[/b][list]
[*]Feisty on-field competitor
[*]Sticky, gnat-like cover man
[*]Outstanding transitional quickness
[*]Great cover instincts
[*]Aggressive tackler
[*]Return experience
[/list]
[b]Downside[/b][list]
[*]Not an explosive leaper
[*]Has a history of shoulder injuries
[*]Sense of entitlement
[*]Off-field issues have been a trend
[*]Immature, mouthy and hot-tempered
[/list]
[b]The way we see it[/b]
A quick-footed, cocky shutdown cornerback who's capable of stepping into a starting lineup readily inside or outside. Jenkins has Pro Bowl-caliber talent if he can stay healthy, focused and out of trouble after he gets a big payday.

[b]Draft projection[/b]: Round One

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/28/jenkins-can-be-shutdown-corner

[b] [size=6]Bearcats' Isaiah Pead named MVP of Senior Bowl[/size][/b]

[b] [size=6]North claims 23-13 victory[/size][/b]

MOBILE, Ala. — Michigan State's Kirk Cousins and Wisconsin's Russell Wilson threw touchdown passes to lead the North to a 23-13 victory over the South in the Senior Bowl on Saturday.

Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead had a big day for the North. He set a Senior Bowl record in the first half with 98 yards on two late punt returns, and was named the MVP. Pead also rushed for a team-high 31 yards on eight carries.

Purdue kicker Carson Wiggs put it away with his third short field goal, a 28-yarder with 4:11 left in the showcase for senior NFL prospects.

Boise State's Kellen Moore led that clinching 13-play drive that consumed 8:36 with the help of a running clock.

It snuffed out a spark provided by South quarterback Nick Foles of Arizona, who started his career with Cousins at Michigan State.

Foles had gotten the South into the end zone by firing a 20-yard touchdown pass to Arizona teammate Juron Criner with 12:55 left in the game.

It was an up-and-down day for a crew of quarterbacks with sparkling college credentials, with a combined five interceptions.

Cousins completed 5 of 11 passes for 115 yards but threw an interception. Moore, who won an college-record 50 games as a starting quarterback, was 6-of-12 passing for 50 yards, and had a 23-yarder to set up the final field goal that put the North up two scores.

Wilson completed 4 of 7 passes for 45 yards with an 8-yard touchdown pass to Marvin Jones in the second quarter. He also threw an interception.

Arkansas receiver Joe Adams, the South's Most Outstanding Player, had six catches for 116 yards after losing a fumble on the opening drive. He had a 36-yarder and a 29-yarder in the third quarter.

Criner gained 77 yards on six catches.

Linebacker Bobby Wagner of Utah State had seven tackles and an interception and was the North's Most Outstanding Player.

Wiggs made kicks of 27, 32 and 28 yards while missing a 37-yarder in the final minutes.

Foles almost got the South back in it earlier, but his fourth-down pass from the 13 was incomplete with 3:59 left in the third quarter.

He had the best stat line of the six quarterbacks. Foles was 11-of-15 passing for 136 yards and the TD, and was the only South quarterback who wasn't picked off.

San Diego State's Ryan Lindley was 10 of 21 for 103 yards and also was intercepted once. Oklahoma State's 28-year-old Brandon Weeden started for the South but was picked off twice on nine attempts, completing five passes for 56 yards.

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120128/SPT0101/301280055/Bearcats-Pead-named-Senior-Bowl-MVP

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1327800039' post='1092755']
Does anyone think Pead could actually be a 20-25 carry a game guy?

I would go with Pead in the 3rd or something if you sign a guy like Bush in FA. But not as my starting RB.
[/quote]
Why do you guys want bush so much? hes not even fast
Just basically a bigger and slower benson

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1327798883' post='1092750']
If we cant get richardson i want pead
i say pead is way better than martin in my opinion
[/quote]

In my opinion, you're the only one that values your opinion.

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1327802318' post='1092764']
Why do you guys want bush so much? hes not even fast
Just basically a bigger and slower benson
[/quote]

Matt Forte ran a 4.59 forty. Arian Foster ran a 4.69 forty. I guess you think they're garbage too?

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/mikewilkening"]mikewilkening[/url]Mike Wilkening

Janoris Jenkins signed A LOT of autographs afterward. Ex-Gator very popular w/ the UF folks: [url="http://t.co/Yi689fF1"]http://twitpic.com/8cycum[/url][url="https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23seniorbowl"][s]#[/s][b]seniorbowl[/b][/url]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/mikewilkening/status/163440267410685952"]1 minute ago[/url]

Archived