Bengals FA Interest and Dealings

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1075548-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-guards/page/8

even ranked a notch below the spectacular nate livings! is this REALLY our idea of needed improvement at the left guard position, when we didn't even sniff at guys like nicks and grubbs?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1331857338' post='1106989']

Of course there's the part where we actually [i]went[/i] to the playoffs last year while they managed to win all of 2 games, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion
[/quote]

Sure, but we don't get the easy schedule again this season with the NFCW. Bradford may get hurt again but the Rams have upgraded their coaching staff considerably, added Finnegan, and seem more likely than the Bengals to add a good D-lineman. They also have better draft picks than us. Bradford is at the moment the best QB in their division, while we can't say the same about Dalton.

Posted this in another thread, but it has relevance here.

[u][u][color=#0A0501][b]Rob Rang[/b]‏[/color][s][color=#6C6966]@[/color][/s][b][color=#0A0501]RobRang[/color][/b][/u][/u]

Along with scouts from "virtually every team," source tells me head coaches Marvin Lewis and Jim Schwartz attended Oregon Pro Day.

I'm sorry. But with all the FAs we have spending the night and visiting soon, I'd much rather our HC be at PBS
than at Oregon's Pro Day.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1331859825' post='1107018']

[u][u][color=#0A0501][b]Rob Rang[/b]‏[/color][s][color=#6C6966]@[/color][/s][b][color=#0A0501]RobRang[/color][/b][/u][/u]

Along with scouts from "virtually every team," source tells me head coaches Marvin Lewis and Jim Schwartz attended Oregon Pro Day.

I'm sorry. But with all the FAs we have spending the night and visiting soon, I'd much rather our HC be at PBS
[/quote]

Hmm.. When was the pro day and the FA arrival in regards to each other? I am wondering if Marvin had time to catch a flight back in time to meet with them.. Otherwise, I have to agree.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1331859711' post='1107016']

Sure, but we don't get the easy schedule again this season with the NFCW. Bradford may get hurt again but the Rams have upgraded their coaching staff considerably, added Finnegan, and seem more likely than the Bengals to add a good D-lineman. They also have better draft picks than us. Bradford is at the moment the best QB in their division, while we can't say the same about Dalton.
[/quote]

So the Rams are a better team than the Bengals? Although the Bengals had the youngest team in the AFC,
had a Rookie OC, QB and WR and a host of other key contributors on Offense that had no Offseason at all
to learn and prepare. And also have some untapped talent on Defense that spent the year watching and learning.

I don't know why some fans try and sell our team short to other fans.

There are reason's to be optimistic about this team. Sure FA has sucked so far. But you'd pick the Rams
over the Bengals for 2012? lol

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1331859978' post='1107022']

Hmm.. When was the pro day and the FA arrival in regards to each other? I am wondering if Marvin had time to catch a flight back in time to meet with them.. Otherwise, I have to agree.
[/quote]

judging by articles I can find it was over by at least 5:30est. He may also have talked to guys before hand and didn't stay for the actual drills.

I imagine that Zimmer was at least at PBS today.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1331859978' post='1107022']

[/quote]

Hell, Langford was supposed to be there early this morning. So regardless of what time it was, he wouldn't have been there.
I hope he is there now. I just don't understand why he would have went there in the first place.

[size=6][b]Day 3: Four players visiting[/b][/size]

03/15/12 at 9:02pm
• Written by jreedy

After two days of inactivity, the Bengals had four players in for visits on Thursday with all of them stretching into Friday.

Cornerbacks Aaron Ross and Tracy Porter, defensive lineman Kendall Langford and offensive guard Jacob Bell are in town. All four could fill some glaring needs.

Running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis was thought to be visiting Cincinnati today, but he will be coming in on Sunday and Monday. Michael Bush will also be visiting Monday.

Thursday’s four visits come as the team’s biggest priority to re-sign, safety Reggie Nelson, is scheduled to visit the Jets today.

Porter’s first four seasons in the league were with the New Orleans and he is best known for his 74-yard interception return for a touchdown in Super Bowl XLIV against the Colts. Since then though, Porter has struggled statistically and has missed time every season due to injuries.

Said Porter of his injury history to The Times-Picayune earlier this week: “It could be a question mark for teams. But the way I’ve come back from those injuries, they have to weigh both of them. And I’m only 25, so I’m still young, my body heals fast. And right now I’m 100 percent.”

The one benefit to teams is that Porter has 39 starts. Besides the Bengals, the Raiders are also trying to arrange a visit with Porter, who played collegiately at Indiana.

Ross led the Super Bowl champion Giants in interceptions this past season (four) after stepping into the starting lineup when Terrell Thomas was lost for the season. Ross was drafted by the Giants in the first round in 2007 and would fit the team’s pattern of picking up former first-round picks in the secondary. Last year they had four cornerbacks and a safety, but only one (Leon Hall) was drafted by the club.

Bell, a former Miami University standout, is going into this ninth year in the league and has spent the past four seasons with the Rams. Bell has 88 starts in 97 games, most of them at left guard but missed the final three games of last season with a sprained right MCL.

Due to storms in the area on Thursday morning, Langford’s visit started with a pickup in Lexington after his flight was diverted. Langford, a fifth-year player, is a solid run stuffer who also led the defensive line in quarterback pressures last year despite being taken out in obvious passing situations.

If Langford were to sign, he would fill one of the spots vacated by Frostee Rucker, whose signing with the Browns was made official. During a teleconference, Rucker said the opportunity to nail down the starting right defensive end job and receive more playing time was the reason why he left the Bengals after six seasons.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/03/15/day-3-four-players-visiting/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/03/15/day-3-four-players-visiting/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1331860577' post='1107029']

Hell, Langford was supposed to be there early this morning. So regardless of what time it was, he wouldn't have been there.
I hope he is there now. I just don't understand why he would have went there in the first place.
[/quote]

I agree, it seems indefensible, but I wonder what the specifics of the situation were? Maybe Marvin lets the coordinators give the go-ahead before he gets involved? Sure doesn't seem like the best scenario.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1331859825' post='1107018']Posted this in another thread, but it has relevance here.

than at Oregon's Pro Day.[/quote]

LaMichael James, Cliff Harris CB and David Paulson TE

[quote][url="https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider"][b]Aaron Wilson[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]RavensInsider[/b][/url]

[indent=1]

Joel Turner on Mike Tolbert: "We are taking a hard look at every opportunity to find the best place for Mike."

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider/status/180495469099753472"][size=3]2m[/size][/url]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider"][b]Aaron Wilson[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]RavensInsider[/b][/url]
Mike Tolbert has a visit scheduled with an undisclosed team, according to his agent, Joel Turner.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider/status/180495334110277633"][size=3]2m[/size][/url]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider"][b]Aaron Wilson[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]RavensInsider[/b][/url]

[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]Mike Tolbert has drawn interest from at least a dozen NFL teams, his agent, Joel Turner, told me. "We are evaluating every opportunity."[/font][/color][/quote]
[/indent]

[u][color="#2fc2ef"][b]Joe Reedy[/b]‏[/color][s][color="#82daf5"]@[/color][/s][b][color="#2fc2ef"]joereedy[/color][/b][/u]

8 RT [url="https://twitter.com/#!/LeviiiDotsonnn"][s][color="#82daf5"]@[/color][/s][b][color="#2fc2ef"]LeviiiDotsonnn[/color][/b][/url]: [url="https://twitter.com/#!/joereedy"][s][color="#82daf5"]@[/color][/s][b][color="#2fc2ef"]joereedy[/color][/b][/url] will Marvin be back in town tomorrow to speak to Porter and Co. ?>Yes

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1331859825' post='1107018']

[/quote]

that's what we have a GM for, i guess.

OG - Not sure about Bell - don't know that much about him. Right now, Mike Brisiel, Robert Gallery and Travelle Wharton would be higher on my wish list. Any chance we take two? That would certainly open up the draft. I still would like Collins back or Shwartz if he goes elsewhere.

RB - as would landing a RB. I also think we land either Green-Ellis or Bush early next week.

WR - I'm getting the feeling that we will sign Jerome Simpson to a one or two year Chronic-discounted deal. And draft a guy to push him somewhere in the first 4 rounds. I

DL - I'd love to wake up in the morning and see we inked Langford and Porter. I wouldn't mind a run-stuffer like Sims or Bunkley to go with Langford.

DB - in addition to Porter, I would re-up Pacman and I'm feeling more hopeful that we may eventuall come to an agreement with Nelson since he didn't sign in the first 48 (now watch me wake up and find out he's a jet).

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1331873442' post='1107094']
Its been a while since Ive followed him, but I thought Bunkley was more a pass rusher DT than a run stopper?
[/quote]

Wanted him coming out of college, but haven't seen him that much lately either. Was going off a couple of vits like this:

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial,] [/font][/color][b]Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Broncos. Age: 28. [/b]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial,]Brodrick Bunkley had a great year as a run-stuffer, but he offers nothing in the pass-rushing department.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial,] [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial,]Jason James would be a great get too [/font][/color]

I wonder if the Bengals are seriously considering Braylon Edwards. They haven't brought a single WR in for a visit and i remember Reedy mentioning a month or 2 ago that he thought Edwards was probably in the top 3 guys that he figured would be signed for our vacant WR2 spot.

I think i'd be happier with Binns starting day 1 over Braylon and i REALLY don't want to see Binns in our starting lineup until he's proven himself.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1331874999' post='1107098']
I wonder if the Bengals are seriously considering Braylon Edwards. They haven't brought a single WR in for a visit and i remember Reedy mentioning a month or 2 ago that he thought Edwards was probably in the top 3 guys that he figured would be signed for our vacant WR2 spot.

I think i'd be happier with Binns starting day 1 over Braylon and i REALLY don't want to see Binns in our starting lineup until he's proven himself.
[/quote]

I'd much rather re-sign Jerome than bring that walking meat puppet on board.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1331874999' post='1107098']

[/quote]

Edwards has a worse case of the drops than Simpson does.

I swear. I think Hobson knows less about what's going on than we do ....

[b][size=6]Guard play[/size][/b]

By GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 50 minutes ago

With backup guard Mike McGlynn tweeting he signed a deal with the Colts Thursday night, Clint Boling is back at the top of the depth chart at right guard. For the moment, anyway, in this free-agent flux.

McGlynn, 27, picked up on waivers from the Eagles the week before last season, started the last three games at right guard and the playoff game after Bobbie Williams broke his ankle. It was basically his first action of his career at right guard and ProFootballTalk.com said Thursday night he could compete for a starting job in Indy.

As PFT noted, there is a connection. The Eagles drafted McGlynn in 2008 when current Colts GM Ryan Grigson was their director of college scouting. Beyond that, Grigson has high regard for Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander, his position coach when the Bengals drafted him in the mid-'90s.

Boling, drafted in the fourth round last year, started the first three games of Williams' four-game suspension until McGlynn got settled and started the last one. With indications the Bengals are going to move slowly on Williams' status as he recovers from surgery, Boling now looks to be No. 1 again.

It would also suggest that guard Otis Hudson, a fifth-round pick in 2010, is still in their plans.

There are also indications the Bengals are still talking to starting left guard Nate Livings even as he visited Dallas Thursday. Jacob Bell's visit to Cincinnati would also suggest they are looking to add a veteran. Bell has started 100 games in Tennessee and St. Louis.

Bell was one of several players that various media outlets reported were at Paul Brown Stadium Thursday, a group the club is expected to confirm Friday once the visits are over. Two of them, Saints cornerback Tracy Porter and Giants cornerback Aaron Ross, indicate the Bengals are looking to add veteran starters into the mix with Nate Clements and Leon Hall.

Hall is coming back from an Achilles tear and Clements, 32, is headed into the last year of his deal. The Bengals haven't sprung out to keep last year's current backups, Adam Jones and Kelly Jennings, and look to be targeting other free agents.

Ross has started the last two seasons for the Super Bowl champ Giants and Porter made a huge interception return for a touchdown a few years ago when the Saints beat the Colts. Both can play outside with Hall or Clements moving into the slot in passing situations.

[b]Reports also said that Dolphins defensive tackle Kendall Langford visited Thursday and left Thursday night. [/b]They also said he's headed to St. Louis next and possibly Green Bay.

The norm is that if a player is going to agree to terms, he'll do it during the visit but that's not always the case. Deals have been known to get done anywhere anytime. But what has to take place before any deal is finalized is a physical.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Guard-play/f1be8726-cd14-4f69-823d-fc93d248de4b

[size=6][b]Football business moves Fanene to New England[/b][/size]
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Thursday, March 15, 2012, 09:48 AM

Defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene called it a sad day after he said the Bengals failed to make a competitive offer for him to remain in Cincinnati.

Fanene signed a three-year deal worth close to $12 million with New England on Wednesday. He will receive $3.8 million in guaranteed money.

“It’s a sad day. I never thought I would be leaving Cincinnati,” Fanene said during a phone interview with me shortly after the news broke of his departure. “I love the city and fans here. However, it’s obvious that some people in the organization didn’t respect my talent. I had to do what was best for me and my family. I came to work every day and worked hard. That’s the same work ethic I will take to New England. I will miss the team, but happy with my decision and look forward to being a Patriot.”

Fanene drew considerable interest from Green Bay, Tennessee, Oakland and of course New England in free agency. Indications are that the Bengals weren’t even in the ballpark of other team’s offers, even after head coach Marvin Lewis said retaining Fanene was a priority.

Fanene had the fewest snaps in the defensive line rotation last season (442 snaps), but finished second on the team in sacks (6.5). Geno Atkins led the team with 7.5 sacks.

Did New England get a real find in Fanene? Did Cincinnati lose out by under valuing its talent? You be the judge.

Best wishes Big Jon!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/entries/2012/03/15/football_business_moves_fanene.html?cxtype=feedbot

Archived