Holy Crap - Bountygate

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1332354295' post='1109815']
I think if the NFL REALLY wanted to fuck the Saints they would have taken away their Franchise Tag instantly making Drew Brees a free agent.
[/quote]
That would be a fucking crazefest of epic proportions.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1332352860' post='1109797']
The reason why this was so harsh is because you had the team president offering rewards to players to hurt people, whenever you have the FO paying extra cash to purposely hurt other players that's a huge problem. Also you have to consider the NFL is involved with a class action lawsuit by former players that centers on player safety, so the NFL had to show they are taking this situation very seriously. The Saints also opened themselves up to lawsuits from anyone who was injured by them in the last few years, this could get worse before it's all said and done.
[/quote]

It also begs the question if they were using money designated to the cap.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1332354942' post='1109826']

It also begs the question if they were using money designated to the cap.
[/quote]

I heard that the FO used a points system when resigning guys and the guys with the scalps\skins\points or whatever you want to call them got the big bucks. It's pretty stupid and arrogant of the Saints to do this, get caught, lie about, and then get caught lying about it. Back to the cellar they go...Saints fans were getting too big for their britches anyway.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1332349526' post='1109743']
Crapy?

Did you need an edit?
[/quote]

If you go to Yahoo's home page soon enough, their story link calls it BountyGaye. How embarrassing! In large bold print. How do you not catch that?

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332355788' post='1109838']
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/drewbrees"][b]Drew Brees[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]drewbrees[/b][/url]

I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment
[/quote]

what's so hard to understand? He may not agree with it, but Brees shouldn't need someone to explain why.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332352716' post='1109795']
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter"][b]Adam Schefter[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]AdamSchefter[/b][/url]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]Sean Payton's year-long suspension means lost salary for one year. Payton's out about $7 million.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Hines Ward is available. He can step right in and pick up where they left off.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332355788' post='1109838']
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/drewbrees"][b]Drew Brees[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]drewbrees[/b][/url]

I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment
[/quote]

Good men can do bad and dumb things.

I wonder if this had anything to do with not signing Tracy Porter. Hensley has an article speculating that Fujita may get disciplined.

[quote]
[b] Sean Payton stunned by suspension: “I’m not OK”[/b]

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
[img]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/seanpayton.jpg?w=250[/img]

Saints coach Sean Payton was shocked to find out today that he has been banished from the NFL for the entire 2012 season for his team’s bounty scandal.
Jay Glazer said on NFL Network that he interviewed Payton immediately after the news came down, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s punishment is far more severe than Payton was expecting.

“I did talk to him and he’s stunned to say the least,” Glazer said. “I think the entire team thought maybe there’d be a four-game suspension, but not a year. I [b]said, ‘Are you OK?’ And he said, ‘No, I’m not OK.’ He is stunned. He’s going to lose about $8 million. He is beside himself here.”[/b]

Glazer reports that Payton’s plan for the four-game suspension he had braced himself for was to have assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Vitt take over as interim head coach while Payton served the suspension. But that plan is now out the window because Vitt has been suspended six games for his own role in the bounty scandal.

The Saints may now have either offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael or former Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo, who was slated to replace Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator, step in as the head coach.[/quote]

Seems like Payton is out of touch with reality, not only did he condone an illegal bounty program but he lied about it when confronted by the NFL. What did he think he was going to get? 4 games, really...hopefully he can use the time to get his life in order and back on track because he is out of control and out of touch.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1332356126' post='1109850']

what's so hard to understand? He may not agree with it, but Brees shouldn't need someone to explain why.
[/quote]

The fact that Brees thinks he owed an explanation is laughable, who the fuck do you think you are Drew Brees.

They got caught, lied about it, got caught lying about it, and got the punishment...it's life..shit happens...deal with it.

The Saints seem like an overly cocky bunch, as if their shit don't stink.

[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/LeeZurik"][b]Lee Zurik[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]LeeZurik[/b][/url][/font][/color]
Former Saint Joe Horn says EVERY NFL team has a program like the Saints bounty program. Says in KC and ATL players were paid for cart offs.[/font][/color]
[size=3]
[color=#999999][size=3]Retweeted by [url="https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora"][b]Jason La Canfora[/b][/url][/size][/color][/size]
[/font][/color]

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1332356363' post='1109858']

The fact that Brees thinks he owed an explanation is laughable, who the fuck do you think you are Drew Brees.

They got caught, lied about it, got caught lying about it, and got the punishment...it's life..shit happens...deal with it.

The Saints seem like an overly cocky bunch, as if their shit don't stink.
[/quote]

I agree with you, but also agree with Old that it is too harsh. 6-8 games would do it. But Brees is being stupid about it. Payton knew about it. If he didn't, he should have.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332356696' post='1109864']

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/LeeZurik"][b]Lee Zurik[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]LeeZurik[/b][/url]

Former Saint Joe Horn says EVERY NFL team has a program like the Saints bounty program. Says in KC and ATL players were paid for cart offs.

[color=#999999][size=3]Retweeted by [url="https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora"][b]Jason La Canfora[/b][/url][/size][/color]

[/quote]

I think the punishment is about 90% for the lies/cover up, 10% for the bounty program. The NFL doesn't want teams defying direct orders.

edit: actually, a good portion of it is likely due to the player safety lawsuits. They need to act tough.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332356382' post='1109859']
I think it's way too harsh.
[/quote]

I might agree with you if the Saints would have dropped the program the moment the NFL told them to. Instead, they continued the program while attempting a cover-up based upon closing ranks and pretending the coaching staff and front office weren't directly involved.

Frankly, if there's reason to be suprised by the punsihment it's because the Saints coaching staff got exactly what they deserved.....something few would have predicted.

[quote name='HairOnFire' timestamp='1332357018' post='1109868']

I might agree with you if the Saints would have dropped the program the moment the NFL told them to. Instead, they continued the program while attempting a cover-up based upon closing ranks and pretending the coaching staff and front office weren't directly involved.

Frankly, if there's reason to be suprised by the punsihment it's because the Saints coaching staff got exactly what they deserved.....something few would have predicted.
[/quote]

I know all of the details, I still think it's too harsh.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1332356969' post='1109867']

I think the punishment is about 90% for the lies/cover up, 10% for the bounty program. The NFL doesn't want teams defying direct orders.

edit: actually, a good portion of it is likely due to the player safety lawsuits. They need to act tough.
[/quote]

Schlereth mentioned the arrogance of doing it after letters were sent out by Goodell reminding teams not to do it.

Fucking put flags on these guys already. This is ridiculous. The bounties aren't for cheapshots that will hurt the team with penalties and suspensions. I don't recall any Saints being hit with the James Harrison cheapshot treatment from the league. They were just playing hard for an incentive. Fuck you NFL.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1332357451' post='1109876']

We can't have this kind of thing happening in the league. The Steelers would lose their competitive advantage!
[/quote]

I agree they should have put their foot down on the Saints. But suspending their HC for a year, and their former DC
indefinitely, PLUS the draft picks and fines? Message sent. But I think it was overkill.

The Rams really got fucked. And they weren't even a part of it.

Just glad it wasn't my team that was used to send a message.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1332356736' post='1109866']

I agree with you, but also agree with Old that it is too harsh. 6-8 games would do it. But Brees is being stupid about it. Payton knew about it. If he didn't, he should have.
[/quote]

He knew about it, encouraged it, and lied about it when confronted with it's existance. Oh yeah, don't forget about Payton getting caught stealing Vicoden from the training room, sounds like he's been downward spiral for a few years now..maybe he can use this as a wakeup call to get his shit together.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332358302' post='1109893']

I agree they should have put their foot down on the Saints. But suspending their HC for a year, and their former DC
indefinitely, PLUS the draft picks and fines? Message sent. But I think it was overkill.

[/quote]

I'm sure the Rams knew that Greggggg Willliams was being investigated when he was hired, they had to know something was going to happen.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332358302' post='1109893']

[/quote]

Rams dodged a bullet. What if this came out a year from now? Rams would be losing picks for Wiliams' methods.

Archived