!!!WITH THE 93RD PICK THE BENGALS SELECT DT Brandon Thompson!!!

I was listening to Coach Hayes talk when they drafted Still, and it sounds like he didn't believe Still was going to be a major part of the run defense package. And it sounds like Thompson is more of a run stuffer, so it makes sense.. This dude is strong as an ox! I think he'll beat Sims out, and the DT rotation will be

rushing: Peko & Thompson

passing: Geno and Still

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1335629020' post='1125661']
I was listening to Coach Hayes talk when they drafted Still, and it sounds like he didn't believe Still was going to be a major part of the run defense package. And it sounds like Thompson is more of a run stuffer, so it makes sense.. This dude is strong as an ox! I think he'll beat Sims out, and the DT rotation will be

rushing: Peko & Thompson

passing: Geno and Still
[/quote]

With Dunlap and MJ coming from outside on passing downs. I think I just jizzed in my pants ^_^

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1335618376' post='1125512']

We went out and got two DEs, replacing the DEs we lost, we drafted two DTs in addition to keeping Sims, not all of these guys will make the team. Just seems like we could have at least gone and got a WR in FA too. This draft puzzles me more than anything else.
[/quote]
Still seems like a guy they may play at end on running downs and Thompson seems like a guy that will be Peko's backup while Sims and Atkins rotate, I think there is plenty of roster space for five dt's. Harvey may not make the team, big whoop

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1335630964' post='1125695']
Still seems like a guy they may play at end on running downs and Thompson seems like a guy that will be Peko's backup while Sims and Atkins rotate, I think there is plenty of roster space for five dt's. Harvey may not make the team, big whoop
[/quote]

IMO Thomspon is a very similar player to Atkins.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335617686' post='1125500']

I mentioned it in another thread, but I think it more has to do with they wanted another dlineman and Thompson was better than any defensive end left on the board. With Bequette gone a few picks earlier I can't think of any DE that would have been more talented than Thompson.

I think they were coming out of the draft with 2 dlinemen. They just ended up taking 2 DT's instead of a DT and DE.

Also, I wouldn't say they aren't fixing their issues. Fortifying the dline rotation IS a need. A bigger need than a RB IMO.

They've filled needs at CB, OG, and DL. I don't think you can realistically say they haven't been proactive fixing their own needs. Only thing I think they've not done is get a better #2 WR. I'd like to see another WR brought in to compete today.
[/quote]

frank alexander would have been an option, not that it matters now. he just got selected at #103.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1335631406' post='1125707']
Well Marvin compared him to peko
[/quote]

hadn't read that, thanks.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' timestamp='1335631454' post='1125709']

i disagree with this. Thompson is more of a run stuffer than pass rusher.
[/quote]

He may do it better, but IMO Thompson is pretty solid as a pass rusher.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1335619488' post='1125529']

Which happened because Sims was down. I'm not complaining about taking one DT, I'm just puzzled about taking two.
[/quote]

Seems to me the odds of one of 3 DTs getting to the playoffs banged up or hurt in varying degrees is pretty damn high given the position they play and the grind of a season. It happened to them (injuries and grind) in 2009 and it cost them, and it happened to them last year. Puzzled? Viewed through the lens of experience, them taking a second DT high who clearly slipped to where he shouldn't have providing great value and allowing them to load up and stay deep enough to weather injuries makes a ton of sense to me.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/branthompson58"][b]Brandon Thompson[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]branthompson58[/b][/url]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]Its going to be an honor to play for the [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23bengals"][s][b]#[/b][/s][b][b]bengals[/b][/b][/url] ! Thank you everyone for the support![/font][/color]

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1335753514' post='1127399']
Peko is a lock too

(null)
[/quote]

5 locks IMO,,,,Dunlap, Peko, Still, Geathers, Geno.....that leaves 6 guys fighting for 4 spots. Competition is going to fierce, I can't wait to watch pre-season!

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1335755562' post='1127414']

5 locks IMO,,,,Dunlap, Peko, Still, Geathers, Geno.....that leaves 6 guys fighting for 4 spots. Competition is going to fierce, I can't wait to watch pre-season!
[/quote]

MJ is absolutely a lock. 2nd best pass rushing end on the team, 2nd most snaps by any dlinman last year, and the team has just enough ends as it is. They aren't going to cut their 2nd best one.

I think we're looking at a 9man rotation of

Dunlap/MJ/Geathers/Anderson/Peko/Atkins/Thompson/Still/Harvey

Sims cut or traded.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335755789' post='1127417']

MJ is absolutely a lock. 2nd best pass rushing end on the team, 2nd most snaps by any dlinman last year, and the team has just enough ends as it is. They aren't going to cut their 2nd best one.

Sims cut or traded.
[/quote]

I actually meant to put MJ in that group as the 6th, that was an accident.

So 5 guys for 3 spots....I agree, Sims and Hayden get the ax

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1335595217' post='1125466']

Mike Brown has turned the corner in my mind. He's made a lot of savvy moves over the past few years.
[/quote]

I think the same. I suspect he is thinking about retirement and wants to get a Lombardi before he steps down. If he manages to do that it would be one of the biggest legacy turnarounds in modern sports.

If Sims has a good preseason - it would be nice to pair him up in a trade with a late-rounder to potentially fill a need - or trade him away for a 5th rounder. Mike Brown's thriftiness seems tailor-made for this new rookie salary cap - getting young players in, stockpiling talent, and then trade away the excess of riches for more picks - and do it over and over again.

[quote name='UCJT' timestamp='1335790500' post='1127448']
If Sims has a good preseason - it would be nice to pair him up in a trade with a late-rounder to potentially fill a need - or trade him away for a 5th rounder. Mike Brown's thriftiness seems tailor-made for this new rookie salary cap - getting young players in, stockpiling talent, and then trade away the excess of riches for more picks - and do it over and over again.
[/quote]

x2. I think Sims is destined for a player-for-player trade down the road like Clinton McDonald and David Jones, or possibly if they can get a late round pick from a team that likes him but isn't high on the waiver claim totem pole.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1335757165' post='1127419']

I actually meant to put MJ in that group as the 6th, that was an accident.

So 5 guys for 3 spots....I agree, Sims and Hayden get the ax
[/quote]

I would rather have Sims than Geathers, but that's just me.

I like MJ, Dunlap, Peko, Atkins, Still, Thompson, Anderson, Geathers, and Sims. I think we could go with 8, cut Geather, and then use Moch as a DE in certain situations.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335755789' post='1127417']

Sims cut or traded.
[/quote]

I think barring injury it could come down between Sims and Harvey. Obviously 2 completely different players and positions along the Dline, but if it is the last spot available a case could probably be made for keeping either one. 5 DT/4 DE or 4 DT/5 DE. And then what is going on at the LB position will have a determining factor in that 9th DL position as well.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1335791541' post='1127456']

I think barring injury it could come down between Sims and Harvey. Obviously 2 completely different players and positions along the Dline, but if it is the last spot available a case could probably be made for keeping either one. 5 DT/4 DE or 4 DT/5 DE. And then what is going on at the LB position will have a determining factor in that 9th DL position as well.
[/quote]

yea I definitely think Sims and Harvey are the bubble players. In the end, I think they go with the extra pass rusher, whether its Harvey earning the spot or a waiver wire cut down guy brought in to replace him.

With Dunlap's injury history and Marvin stating they want to give MJ less reps to keep him fresher, I just don't see them going with only 4 pure DE's, which makes Sims a goner one way or another.

Archived