What should we be paying Andre? (He reportedly wants $9 million per year)

I keep seeing all this hand wringing about Andre Smith being a free agent.   Worry about losing him etc.

I want him back but has anyone taken a hard look at the FA market and draft?  Maybe that's were we should be filling our RT need?

Don't know.

I'm guessing the common thought 7-10 mil for Andre.   OK.   Really?

Now some of these guys will get tagged but that also lessens demands.   There are names like:

Clady, Bushrod, Long, Loadholt, Vollmer, Albert, McKinnie, Cherilus, Baker.    Then there are 5 to 6 first rounders at least 4 definite.

It's a fringe arguement to who is better and what's more important.   Given the cap space the D-line should get and we want them to get.   Along with mega money for Green.  

If 7-10 is the right range for Andre?  Should we be shopping elsewhere? 

Not a great year to be a FA tackle.  

Pay him what keeps him here.  Keep continuity.  It's a passing league.  Let your QB throw the ball.  Andre helps in that aspect.

Except when it comes to drafting a QB at 21 right?  Then it's not continuity it's called competition.

Except when it comes to drafting a QB at 21 right?  Then it's not continuity it's called competition.

Andre is a top 5 player at his position.  Andy.....well, not so much.  Don't want to speak for JC but that's a pretty glaring difference in your comparison. 

For reference, these are nfldraftscout OT rankings.  I haven't been wowed by Fluker, but there's about a whole round drop off after him from what I've seen.  I'd be thrilled to get Armstead as a developmental prospect - but my fantasy was to catch him galling at #53 and then develop him.

22 *D.J. Fluker OT 4 Alabama rJr 6-5 339 1

50 Terron Armstead OT 5 Arkansas-Pine Bluff Sr 6-5 306 2

53 Kyle Long OT 6 Oregon Sr 6-6 313 2

60 *Menelik Watson OT 7 Florida State Jr 6-5 310 2

68 Dallas Thomas OT 8 Tennessee rSr 6-5 306 2-3

It will be interesting to see exactly what he ends up getting. Will Beatty, the LT for the Giants, just signed a 5 year 38 million extension. He plays the more valuable left side, but wasn't considered a top guy at his position like Andre is at his. There are some other good tackles on the market. A guy like Jake Long is a pretty good LT but also would likely be a top notch RT.

I think Andre ends up getting something like 7 to 9 million per year. But I guess I wouldn't be shocked if it was a little high or a little lower than that.

I think he and his agent are looking for a mega deal....and RT don't get mega deals. I wonder if they think some team is out there willing to sign him to a deal to be a LT?

I guess it depends on the definition of mega deal. Carl Nicks wok is an OG signed what I would define as a mega deal with Tampa last offseason. RTs are generally higher paid than OGs, so it isn't that crazy to think he gets a mega deal.

I would guess he will test the market and give the Bengals a chance to match or beat the highest offer he gets. Agents are now legally allowed to negotiate with other teams 3 days before FA starts. So the agent will be talking to other teams starting on the 9th. I would expect he signs somewhere pretty quickly after the start of FA on the 12th.

Go ahead and bring in a player to compete with him..if you want, my man.  Problem is, that player isn't going to beat him out.

Andre is a top 5 player at his position.  Andy.....well, not so much.  Don't want to speak for JC but that's a pretty glaring difference in your comparison. 

Nailed it.

I think this is gonna turn out to be just like the situation they had with Steinbach....the Bengals offered to pay him as a top G but he and his agent wanted tackle money, so they let him walk when somebody was willing to give it to them.

I think they'll offer Andre a contract that will pay him as a top RT but he and his agent are gonna want LT money and if they can find some team to give it to him, the Bengals will let him walk.  

I think this is gonna turn out to be just like the situation they had with Steinbach....the Bengals offered to pay him as a top G but he and his agent wanted tackle money, so they let him walk when somebody was willing to give it to them.

I think they'll offer Andre a contract that will pay him as a top RT but he and his agent are gonna want LT money and if they can find some team to give it to him, the Bengals will let him walk.  

And that's the right move, in that scenario.

I'm curiou sto what your offseason plan would be.  You want to ship Smith and Hawkins out, and replace them with who?  What other players to ship out?

I'd like to bring Smith back, but let Hawkins go. I think it's only a matter of time until we find out that this past season for Hawkins was a fluke. I hope I'm wrong though. 

I'd go 5yrs $40 million. 5yr's at an average of $6 million base, with a $10 million signing bonus. 

$23 million guaranteed.

His original contract was 4yrs $28 millilon, with $21 million guaranteed.  (had potentially been 6yrs, $42 million)

That would be a pretty generous offer for Andre Smith. And a fair deal for the Bengals. Andre should get paid-the Bengals wanted him in the top 10 and as a RT, and the guy has really developed after a problematic beginning to his career. The big unknown to me is whether Big Andre likes being a Bengal and wants to stay here, or whether its just business to him and he'll follow the money. It will be interesting to see what kind of interest he generates as a free agent. Especially in view of the ridicule he and the Bengals were subjected to in 2009.

I'd like to bring Smith back, but let Hawkins go. I think it's only a matter of time until we find out that this past season for Hawkins was a fluke. I hope I'm wrong though.

That's no reason to cut Hawkins loose. He's been a real find. The coaches love him, and he has just gotten better with more playing time. He is not an unrestricted free agent and it would be easy to keep him. There is no reason not to keep him a Bengal.

The big unknown to me is whether Big Andre likes being a Bengal and wants to stay here, or whether its just business to him and he'll follow the money. 

He may just be one of those types who is generally unenthused, but I don't see any "Rah-rah team" in him.

Current top RT pay is 10 mil for Doug Free of the Cowboys. He signed that deal as their LT and won't collect it this year. Top RT pay for a player who will actually get it is 7 mil for David Stewart of the Titans. Andre will probably get a bit more than that. There are a lot of tackles on the market this offseason so Andre would be doing well to get as much as Beatty got.

Current top RT pay is 10 mil for Doug Free of the Cowboys. He signed that deal as their LT and won't collect it this year. Top RT pay for a player who will actually get it is 7 mil for David Stewart of the Titans. Andre will probably get a bit more than that. There are a lot of tackles on the market this offseason so Andre would be doing well to get as much as Beatty got.

The Beatty deal looks pretty close to what I would guess Andre gets. I have no idea if the Bengals would be willing to pay that price, but I hope so.

The other thing to consider is whether the Bengals would go hard after one of the other top FA OTs if Andre leaves. Again I would hope so, but kind of doubt it.

The Beatty deal looks pretty close to what I would guess Andre gets. I have no idea if the Bengals would be willing to pay that price, but I hope so.

The other thing to consider is whether the Bengals would go hard after one of the other top FA OTs if Andre leaves. Again I would hope so, but kind of doubt it.

If Andre does walk, the Bengals should have some fallback options. Usually the top guys get signed first and the rest are scaled off of them. So we could sign a vet for a lower amount or use a draft pick on a RT.

Archived