Bengals start re-signing some guys (Peerman, Miles, Rey, Hawkins, Huber, Harris, Nugent, Gillberry, Geathers, Maualuga, Jones, Roland, Tate, Quinn)

4.5 mil for the pair seems high. Longsnappers and punters aren't hard to find. Both were paid 1.26 mil last year as RFAs but most snappers get vet minimum. On a 5 year deal Harris deserves some signing bonus but an average of 1 mil per seems fair. Huber should be under 2 mil. Nugent was on the franchise tag last year and got 2.5 mil and kickers normally make more than punters.

4.5 mil for the pair seems high. Longsnappers and punters aren't hard to find. Both were paid 1.26 mil last year as RFAs but most snappers get vet minimum. On a 5 year deal Harris deserves some signing bonus but an average of 1 mil per seems fair. Huber should be under 2 mil. Nugent was on the franchise tag last year and got 2.5 mil and kickers normally make more than punters.

The memories of St. Louis makes me think he is worth what he got... That shit was a nightmare...

The other thing to consider is that veterans who get the minimum don't have that full amount count towards the cap. I think it still only counts for less than 500,000.

I think that may apply to Harris.

Unless they changed it with the new CBA, it only counts on one year deals. 

4.5 mil for the pair seems high. Shitty Longsnappers and Shitty punters aren't hard to find. Both were paid 1.26 mil last year as RFAs but most snappers get vet minimum. On a 5 year deal Harris deserves some signing bonus but an average of 1 mil per seems fair. Huber should be under 2 mil. Nugent was on the franchise tag last year and got 2.5 mil and kickers normally make more than punters.

Colquitt just signed for 5/18.75 or 3.75 a year.  If we got Huber for under 3 we did well. 

I was actually slightly amped about the resignings of both. Which is odd, cause it's a punter and a long snapper.....but..... Special teams is huge, and Huber had an underrated and really great year. And ST can be the difference in big games down the stretch and playoffs, etc...

Now to Wallace Gillbery and Geathers and Andre.....

The memories of St. Louis makes me think he is worth what he got... That shit was a nightmare...

I said the same thing today.lol. Not ever saying the long snappers name during a season is a great thing. Pay the man, he's worth it !

Man, St. Louis was solid until he got psyched out. He was, and may still be for all I know, a great member of the Cincinnati community. That said, I hope Harris can play out this contract because he really was a great find when we were in desperate need of an upgrade.

I was actually slightly amped about the resignings of both. Which is odd, cause it's a punter and a long snapper.....but..... Special teams is huge, and Huber had an underrated and really great year. And ST can be the difference in big games down the stretch and playoffs, etc...

Now to Wallace Gillbery and Geathers and Andre.....

Totally agree, at least about Huber. He was one of the better punters in the league last year and that has a real impact in close games. That game at Pittsburgh he outplayed their punter by a good margin and that may have been the difference in the game.

As for Harris, I'm glad we have him but I don't think he would have been that hard to replace. Did any of the teams we played last season have a single bad snap against us? None that I remember. That crazy stretch with St. Louis aside, there are very, very few bad snaps in the NFL. I don't think it is all that hard to find a good long snapper these days.

I also think the strong finish by Brown showed that kickers aren't irreplaceable either. Hopefully that will lower the cost of a deal with Nugent or Brown.

Long snappers and punters are hard to find. Thank god we don't have to worry about the Graham-St.Louis nightmare, which now seems a distant memory compared to what we have now.

Colquitt just signed for 5/18.75 or 3.75 a year.  If we got Huber for under 3 we did well. 

Not really. Remember Mike Windt? He was Huber's longsnapper at UC who the Bengals cut. San Diego picked him up eventually and he's still in the league a couple years later. There are a lot more longsnappers coming out of college than entering the NFL so it's a buyer's market. Same thing with punters. We could probably get LSU's punter in the 5th round and he's maybe the best punting prospect in several years. Good snappers and kickers are worth paying but they aren't hard to replace. I don't think Andre is worth the 9 mil he's asking for but he's on the field probably 50 or more snaps a game compared with less than 10 for Huber. 

Not really. Remember Mike Windt? He was Huber's longsnapper at UC who the Bengals cut. San Diego picked him up eventually and he's still in the league a couple years later. There are a lot more longsnappers coming out of college than entering the NFL so it's a buyer's market. Same thing with punters. We could probably get LSU's punter in the 5th round and he's maybe the best punting prospect in several years. Good snappers and kickers are worth paying but they aren't hard to replace. I don't think Andre is worth the 9 mil he's asking for but he's on the field probably 50 or more snaps a game compared with less than 10 for Huber. 

Why not reward the guys you already have who have done you a good job? It was look good to show visiting FA players.

Why not reward the guys you already have who have done you a good job? It was look good to show visiting FA players.

We should reward them and 1 mil per year for a longsnapper is pretty good compared to selling cars or teaching phys ed. A rookie longsnapper will make less than half that. Huber is an above average punter so maybe 2 mil is ok but again a rookie costs under 500K. A placekicker has more effect on the outcome of the game than a punter so they get paid more but I wouldn't go above 2.5 mil for either Nugent or Brown. 

We should reward them and 1 mil per year for a longsnapper is pretty good compared to selling cars or teaching phys ed. A rookie longsnapper will make less than half that. Huber is an above average punter so maybe 2 mil is ok but again a rookie costs under 500K. A placekicker has more effect on the outcome of the game than a punter so they get paid more but I wouldn't go above 2.5 mil for either Nugent or Brown. 

I'd rather pay and know what I have than pay less and go into camp with questions.

Huber just set a couple franchise records (one of which goes all the way back to our inaugural season) and led the league in punts downed inside the 5.. That kind of production is definitely not easy to come by

Ok, sparky. I guess all I'll say is that we drafted a kid to be a punter, a Cincinnati kid that's always been a Cincinnati kid, and he's turned out to be a damn good punter. I have no desire to tell that kid, fuck you, we don't want to pay you because we can maybe get another guy close to as good as you for less.

Totally agree, at least about Huber. He was one of the better punters in the league last year and that has a real impact in close games. That game at Pittsburgh he outplayed their punter by a good margin and that may have been the difference in the game.

As for Harris, I'm glad we have him but I don't think he would have been that hard to replace. Did any of the teams we played last season have a single bad snap against us? None that I remember. That crazy stretch with St. Louis aside, there are very, very few bad snaps in the NFL. I don't think it is all that hard to find a good long snapper these days.

I also think the strong finish by Brown showed that kickers aren't irreplaceable either. Hopefully that will lower the cost of a deal with Nugent or Brown.

Pittsburg missed a 26 yard field goal due to a bad snap in that second game.

@Tigris you are correct. The jags had a 18 yard punt from there own 5 yard line that led to our winning drive. Huber's punt before that drive pinned the jags inside there five yard line.

In that game there bad was weather, high wind. Huber didn't allow Jags to take advantage like the Jags punter did.

Huber has had some key punts in tight games out of the end one with really good hang time preventing huge returns

With our defense, and our lack of production on offense, giving them bad positioning is integral to our overall game

Archived