Bengals sign josh Johnson

i will be fine with him playing in week 17... When they are resting players and waiting on the first playoff game... In week two of the playoffs....

There is going to be a good debate if Johnson should play in week 17. Do you rest the starters or keep Green and Dalton in to try to go 16-0.

Not bad. He was a Jon Gruden draft pick in Tampa, so I'm sure Jay was able to get plenty of inside info on him.

I like a backup with some mobility. If Andy was to get hurt mid game, the other team isn't prepared to face a mobile guy and you still have a chance to win the game.

Not bad. He was a Jon Gruden draft pick in Tampa, so I'm sure Jay was able to get plenty of inside info on him.

I like a backup with some mobility. If Andy was to get hurt mid game, the other team isn't prepared to face a mobile guy and you still have a chance to win the game.

I agree. Can't count how many times we have been destroyed by a mobile backup qb for lack of preparation

What I like in a backup is an experienced vet or an unproven rookie not a guy that's been in the league four years with no success.

I'd rather have someone who is good and has some ability than some washed up vet. And i'd rather have someone with experience over a rookie.

I hope he is good but what makes u think he is. He couldn't get playing time on Tampa or the browns.

What are you talking about the browns? They signed him as an emergency injury replacement like the last week of the season. You expect him to come in and start after about two practices?

Come on man.

Maybe your right but the fact he was signed as an emergency qb at the end of the season means he wasn't on an nfl roster so kind of hard to get excited about that. Especially when Jason campbelll is available

I remember people saying the same thing about Wallace Gillberry last year.

What are you talking about the browns? They signed him as an emergency injury replacement like the last week of the season. You expect him to come in and start after about two practices?

Come on man.

Hey don't let a little thing like facts or logic get in the way of a good messageboard rant....

I like the signing, would've preferred Fitz because he's shown he can win games in the NFL but I understand why Fitz went to the Titans, he has a better chance playing over Locker than Dalton. 

Johnson has the potential to be a good player in the NFL if he's in the right situation and this is a good situation for him because he knows the coaching staff and he has a quality wr's something he's never had since he's been in the NFL. Johnson can make some plays with his legs or his arms and you see how guys like Russell Wilson, RGIII, Kaepernick, etc..have changed the way the game is played at the qb position.

I'm sure Jay has some good info on him.  I also think the Bengals had another source also.  Turk Schonert.

For those that don't remember Turk;

Currently is HC for Sacramento Mountain Lions HC, which is where Josh Johnson was for a brief time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk_Schonert

Professional career

Schonert was selected by the Chicago Bears in the ninth round of the 1980 NFL Draft but never played for the franchise. He played nine seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, including the Super Bowl XVI and Super Bowl XXIII teams, and spent one season with the Atlanta Falcons. Schonert retired in 1989, finishing his career with 11 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 7-5 record as a starting quarterback.

Coaching career

NFL

Schonert began coaching quarterbacks in 1992 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers under Sam Wyche, his former head coach with the Bengals. His quarterback coach at Stanford, Jim Fassel, later became the head coach of the New York Giants and hired Schonert,[5] who also served with the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints.

Schonert, who returned to the Bills in 2006 and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2008,[6] had worked with Trent Edwards, a graduate of his alma mater, since Buffalo drafted the Stanford quarterback in 2007. Schonert was fired as the offensive coordinator for the Bills on September 4, 2009, just before the start of the season and replaced with Alex Van Pelt. The move proved to be uninspired, with Bills head coach Dick Jauron himself being fired after nine games of the 2009 NFL season, due to a lack of offensive firepower.

UFL

Schonert was hired as quarterbacks coach for the UFL's Hartford Colonials by head coach Jerry Glanville in 2011, but was let go with the rest of the coaching staff when the franchise ceased operation prior to the 2011 season. He was then hired by Fassel as an offensive assistant for the UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives.

He was essentially 4th string for the Browns last year

We were tied to two guys with like 50+ career starts and then signed the browns fourth string qb

He wasn't the Browns 4th string QB. If you can't get your facts straight, just shut up.

What I like in a backup is an experienced vet or an unproven rookie not a guy that's been in the league four years with no success.

You're just whining.

They only signed him so we would have a Johnson on the team. 

Seriously though. I prefer him over Gradkowski. Gradkowski has proven he sucks. 

That's the bottom line for me. I think Johnson is an improvement over Grad, and I don't care how' many more starts Grad has. He just blows, point blank.

Johnson can give you a spark off the bench... He's a 4.6 guy who has a nice arm. Let him slug it out with Zac and draft someone, too and see how it shakes out.

Archived