How great is Carson Palmer Trade? or how bad for Raiders

McKenzie had nothing to do with the deals for Seymour and The Quitter. He wasn't the Raiders GM until January 2012.  

Take this FWIW...it may or may not be what is happening in the East Bay:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1594204-believe-it-or-not-reggie-mckenzie-has-the-raiders-on-the-right-track

Right, I'm not blaming him for making those deals, I'm saying he hasn't done much to improve the situation he stepped into. He hasn't been able to negotiate any of his overpaid guys down to market deals. He hasn't been able to sign vets cheap like other teams have done. Basically he's made it clear the Raiders aren't trying in 2013.

Right, I'm not blaming him for making those deals, I'm saying he hasn't done much to improve the situation he stepped into. He hasn't been able to negotiate any of his overpaid guys down to market deals. He hasn't been able to sign vets cheap like other teams have done. Basically he's made it clear the Raiders aren't trying in 2013.

Well, they haven't been trying for 10 yrs, what's another? 

It takes two to tango, he can't unilaterally force players to renegotiate and he can't force free agents to sign an offer.

It takes two to tango, he can't unilaterally force players to renegotiate and he can't force free agents to sign an offer.

Sure but when you make it clear you aren't trying to win, you get things like Palmer forcing his way out, Newman turning down more money, Huff playing for peanuts elsewhere, Asomughua signing for carwash coupons in SF, etc. A good GM who could give his team reason to believe the worst was behind them might have kept some of those players.

Sure but when you make it clear you aren't trying to win, you get things like Palmer forcing his way out, Newman turning down more money, Huff playing for peanuts elsewhere, Asomughua signing for carwash coupons in SF, etc. A good GM who could give his team reason to believe the worst was behind them might have kept some of those players.

You can't fix everything in a year, so I don't see why you wouldn't just let some of the schlubs play out their contract, or at least until you have someone better.  Carson would have cost 13 million this year, big deal.  They just replaced him with a guy costing five, and have to pay CP 9 million regardless.  Not exactly fiscally sound.  I was wrong about the draft picks, though,,,there's no cost this year, just next year and the year after for Flynn.

And not only do they demonstrate they aren't trying to win, but they also show that they don't intend to live up to the contracts they sign.  This can't help but make the task of negotiation harder in the future.  Mike Brown may not overpay, but at least if you keep up your game you can be pretty sure of seeing that last year of the deal.

You can't fix everything in a year, so I don't see why you wouldn't just let some of the schlubs play out their contract, or at least until you have someone better.  Carson would have cost 13 million this year, big deal.  They just replaced him with a guy costing five, and have to pay CP 9 million regardless.  Not exactly fiscally sound.  I was wrong about the draft picks, though,,,there's no cost this year, just next year and the year after for Flynn.

And not only do they demonstrate they aren't trying to win, but they also show that they don't intend to live up to the contracts they sign.  This can't help but make the task of negotiation harder in the future.  Mike Brown may not overpay, but at least if you keep up your game you can be pretty sure of seeing that last year of the deal.

Again... the Raiders wanted out of CP's contract not just for this year but for the future. McKenzie is totally clear about the fact that he's purging the roster of all the terrible contracts and personnel that have built up over the past several years. It doesn't take a genius to see there was only one way out of that mess - by taking a hacksaw to it. Next year they have $70mil in cap space and all their top draft picks. They'll be relevant within two seasons.

McFadden will want out soon enough, ...he'll be asked to carry most of the load during this time with little to no chance of the playoffs.

RB's don't last long in the league and he will likely be replaced before they can become a contender again.  If he's smart, ...he'll demand a trade now.

McFadden will want out soon enough, ...he'll be asked to carry most of the load during this time with little to no chance of the playoffs.

RB's don't last long in the league and he will likely be replaced before they can become a contender again.  If he's smart, ...he'll demand a trade now.

His smartest move is simply to play out the last year of his rookie contract and go from there. He came into the league before the new rookie wage scale and cashed in with a huge contract. I think he is making something like $9M this year, which is more than guys like Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Arian Foster, etc. got when they signed their recent extensions. Because his salary is so big this year, I think it would make it almost impossible for the Raiders to franchise him next March.

He will be an interesting FA to watch next offseason. He will still be pretty young (26 I think) and he obviously has a lot of talent. But he is a RB and they don't usually get big money. Especially a guy like him who has a ton of trouble staying healthy. If the Bengals aren't able to get a difference maker in this year's draft, he could be an interesting guy to take a look at if there isn't much of a market for him.

There's a pretty good chance that Chris Johnson ends up on the open market next offseason as well. His contract is ridiculous and most of the guaranteed money will have been paid out by the end of this year, so it actually becomes feasible for them to cut him.

His smartest move is simply to play out the last year of his rookie contract and go from there. He came into the league before the new rookie wage scale and cashed in with a huge contract. I think he is making something like $9M this year, which is more than guys like Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Arian Foster, etc. got when they signed their recent extensions. Because his salary is so big this year, I think it would make it almost impossible for the Raiders to franchise him next March.

He will be an interesting FA to watch next offseason. He will still be pretty young (26 I think) and he obviously has a lot of talent. But he is a RB and they don't usually get big money. Especially a guy like him who has a ton of trouble staying healthy. If the Bengals aren't able to get a difference maker in this year's draft, he could be an interesting guy to take a look at if there isn't much of a market for him.

There's a pretty good chance that Chris Johnson ends up on the open market next offseason as well. His contract is ridiculous and most of the guaranteed money will have been paid out by the end of this year, so it actually becomes feasible for them to cut him.

McFadden will carry that whole team this season and for nothing, ...it's a waste.

I thought the Tag was the average of the top x players at a position? If so, and his contract is huge, then wouldn't a tag contract work out less than he currently earns?

I thought the Tag was the average of the top x players at a position? If so, and his contract is huge, then wouldn't a tag contract work out less than he currently earns?

It's the average or 120% of your previous year's salary, whichever is greater, if I'm correct.

Archived