How great is Carson Palmer Trade? or how bad for Raiders

You actually have to have receivers in order to stare them down.

Immobile QBs? Like both Mannings, Rodgers, Brees, Flacco, DALTON and Brady?

Honestly, minus the Manning, I think all those QBs are more mobile than Palmer. Rodgers is extremely mobile when he wants to be.

You actually have to have receivers in order to stare them down.

Immobile QBs? Like both Mannings, Rodgers, Brees, Flacco, DALTON and Brady?

ALL of those QB's you mention have better mobility and pocket presence than Carson. ALL.

I'm thinking they are waiting until they lock in a rookie QB before they cut him. But who knows, maybe the Raiders pay the bill.

If The Dark Knight were still alive, I could see them trying to force a QB pick with theirs. But Reggie is all the "Packer way"...so I see them going some lineman there. I gotta believe that if they don't get Flynn in there, The Quitter hangs in Oakland...all $13 bills and all.

If The Dark Knight were still alive, I could see them trying to force a QB pick with theirs. But Reggie is all the "Packer way"...so I see them going some lineman there. I gotta believe that if they don't get Flynn in there, The Quitter hangs in Oakland...all $13 bills and all.

Speedy WR in the first for the Raiders FTW!

I like you scharm but you are a fool if you think that line was awesome. Was it more of a fault than Carson? Not necessarily. But that line was not good and that's a fact. Neither was Palmer that year unfortunately.

Clearly said good. It was.

Gotta agree with you LT, can't see the front office trying to sell T Pryor or a rookie QB to the fan base. Can't see them giving any picks away for Flynn.

Would be funny though, Quitter is cut before we get the final Draft pick of the trade, gotta love Mikey's negotiating skills!!!

Gotta agree with you LT, can't see the front office trying to sell T Pryor or a rookie QB to the fan base. Can't see them giving any picks away for Flynn.

I gotta believe the fan base knows that the team will suck whether they keep CP or not. Maybe they get a little more excited or intrigued by Geno Smith or the Florida State QB.

Would be funny though, Quitter is cut before we get the final Draft pick of the trade, gotta love Mikey's negotiating skills!!!

Then we sign him at vet minimum to be the third QB.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora1m
Sounds like Matt Flynn heading to Oakland via trade, and Carson Palmer will be on his way out (possibly to AZ). trying to nail down details

Smart move for them if it only cost like a 5th rounder or so. Have him compete with Pryor this year, which is a rebuilding year. Save a bunch of money cutting Carson. You probably end up with a top 5 pick next year for Teddy Bridgewater or Jadeveon Clowney or whoever.

That is really a 3 year rebuilding project with the terrible contracts, lack of talent and lack of draft picks.

Smart move for them if it only cost like a 5th rounder or so. Have him compete with Pryor this year, which is a rebuilding year. Save a bunch of money cutting Carson. You probably end up with a top 5 pick next year for Teddy Bridgewater or Jadeveon Clowney or whoever.

That is really a 3 year rebuilding project with the terrible contracts, lack of talent and lack of draft picks.

I think they'd be better off just playing Pryor.  They'll still have over $9M in dead money if they cut Carson, then they'd lose a 5th rounder they give up for Flynn, and then turn around and have to pay Flynn $5.25M.

I say just cut your losses with the $9M, save the 5th rounder, and start rebuilding.

Smart move by Seattle to get a pick back for a guy who hopefully never would have seen the field plus cost $5+M for 2 more years.  Goes straight to the Percy Harvin fund....

I agree it's an odd move for Oakland too. It likely won't get the fans fired up much and he can't be that much better than a Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Landry Jones, or Tyler Bray type guy that'd come on the cheap in round 2-3. (edit: Whoops they don't have a 2nd rounder!)

I think they'd be better off just playing Pryor.  They'll still have over $9M in dead money if they cut Carson, then they'd lose a 5th rounder they give up for Flynn, and then turn around and have to pay Flynn $5.25M.

I say just cut your losses with the $9M, save the 5th rounder, and start rebuilding.

I don't think they trust Pryor much. I would guess they know they aren't going to contend or anything next year, but if Pryor is just totally over his head playing NFL QB and you don't have a viable starting option besides him, a very embarrassing 0-16 type of season is possible, in which case everyone loses their jobs.

I think they at least have to field a competitive team, even if it only wins 4 games. Can't afford to have a complete train wreck of a season.

Smart move by Seattle to get a pick back for a guy who hopefully never would have seen the field plus cost $5+M for 2 more years.  Goes straight to the Percy Harvin fund....
I agree it's an odd move for Oakland too. It likely won't get the fans fired up much and he can't be that much better than a Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Landry Jones, or Tyler Bray type guy that'd come on the cheap in round 2-3. (edit: Whoops they don't have a 2nd rounder!)

Round 2, pick 37?

They are in a tough spot because they have holes everywhere and little money and few draft picks....

Edit: didn't see your edit, thought the 2nd round comment was funny, but you caught it yourself

I don't think they trust Pryor much. I would guess they know they aren't going to contend or anything next year, but if Pryor is just totally over his head playing NFL QB and you don't have a viable starting option besides him, a very embarrassing 0-16 type of season is possible, in which case everyone loses their jobs.

I think they at least have to field a competitive team, even if it only wins 4 games. Can't afford to have a complete train wreck of a season.

it would probably be in their best interests just to have a train wreck.  If they cut Palmer, they'll have close to $50M in dead money on the books for 2013.  They won't be able to field a competitive team regardless.  I'd just accept it and look longterm.

Ah...what the hell do I know?  

Flynn might be an OK stopgap...might just get them those 4-5 wins, who knows?

Is this Quitter-to-AZ hypothesis grounded in fact, or is just wild supposition? He might just actually be OK in the desert. Not $13 bills OK...but still probably well-paid, and even closer to SoCal..where spouse will be granting approval.

Sounds like Matt Flynn heading to Oakland via trade, and Carson Palmer will be on his way out (possibly to AZ). trying to nail down details

it would probably be in their best interests just to have a train wreck.  If they cut Palmer, they'll have close to $50M in dead money on the books for 2013.  They won't be able to field a competitive team regardless.  I'd just accept it and look longterm.

As much as we complain about not having a GM, there are certain situations where it is advantageous. The incentives and goals for the organization in general are not always in alignment with the decision makers. In this case, Reggie McKenzie the GM is already starting to feel some heat for some bad decisions he made on contracts last year. He may not be looking at things in terms of a five year plan, but in terms of trying to avoid a miserable season that gets him fired. Just look at stuff like him trying to sign a 34 year old Terrence Newman as one example.

You also see this in Miami with Jeff Ireland on the hot seat big time and him backloading all of the FA contracts. He probably knows he needs a winning season or he is gone. If they lose, it is somebody else's problem as he won't be around. If they win, he will figure the future cap year problems out down the road.

Another great example is Cleveland last year. Those guys all knew they were probably dead men walking. Why not use a supplemental pick now costing a pick that you werent going to be around to use! Why not take a 29 year old QB in the first? Why not take a RB #3?

Anyway, I think it is very hard in general for a team to plan to tank in April. It is just not a mindset that NFL people have. And $5M isn't much for a QB anyway. The Colts just paid Hasselbeck that much to backup Luck.

Ah...what the hell do I know?  

Flynn might be an OK stopgap...might just get them those 4-5 wins, who knows?

Is this Quitter-to-AZ hypothesis grounded in fact, or is just wild supposition? He might just actually be OK in the desert. Not $13 bills OK...but still probably well-paid, and even closer to SoCal..where spouse will be granting approval.

It has been out there as a rumor for almost a month. When you add that to the fact that Carson refused $10M to play for the Raiders, it does sort of add up that he may have had some secret talks with someone and knows he would land on his feet as a starter elsewhere.

He would have great WRs in Arizona. But that OL is terrible and the NFC West defenses are no joke. That probably won't end well or Carson either.

Anyway, I think it is very hard in general for a team to plan to tank in April. It is just not a mindset that NFL people have. And $5M isn't much for a QB anyway. The Colts just paid Hasselbeck that much to backup Luck.

oh I'm not saying they should plan to tank.  I'm just saying they should have their focus on longterm moves rather than 2013 success.  

Of course, Matt Flynn might be over his head against the NFL competition.  He's only had a few Week 17 starts.

Archived