The 2013 Regular Season Thread!!!!!!

Jason

Thing is in baseball, the best teams over the course of the season very rarely actually win it all. The team that is hottest does. We all know these bats have the capabilities to get hot over a week or two span. I just hope we get in, and we'll see what happens...

Yeah yeah that's what happened last season against the Giants...and then when it mattered most the bats went silent. I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah yeah that's what happened last season against the Giants...and then when it mattered most the bats went silent. I'll believe it when I see it.

No. Last season we were the best or second best team in the majors in the regular season and hit a 3 game stretch where we couldnt hit the broad side of the barn. We also were not hot going into the playoffs at all. We clinched the division like 2 weeks before the end of the year and pretty much cruised into the playoffs.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying we will go on a run if we make the playoffs. We have just as good of a chance, if not better, of going silent and getting beat in the 1 game playoff or first round.

But if you dont think this team would have a chance come playoff time if they make it, you havent been paying enough attention to them the last 2 years. This team will be able to compete in any series due to pitching alone. And we all know the bats have the capability of getting hot. Votto, Phillips, and Bruce all have MVP caliber bats when hot. If somehow they all got hot around the same time they could dominate. Obviously that hasnt happened this year.

At this point just get in, nothing more we can ask for at this point realistically.

Homer just has not been the pitcher I was expecting this year.  The way he pitched at the end of last year I thought he had turned the corner, but apparently not.

The future of the pitching staff has a lot of ways it could go. I'd assume Arroyo is gone and we'll only get one of Latos/Bailey long term. Perhaps they look at moving Bailey if they don't think a deal will get done? Cingrani and Leake should be here. Can we trust Cueto to stay healthy?

Fun with numbers with 45 games to go...

If we play .500 ball the rest of the way and finish 23-22 we would finish 88-74.

In the #2 WC, the Diamondbacks would have to 29-17 (.630) to tie us. Washington would have to go 31-14 (.689) to tie.

In the division/#1 WC spot, we would need the cards to go 21-24 for us to tie them. Pittsburgh would have to go 18-27.

If we play at our current pace of .556, we would finish 25-20.

In the #2 WC, the Diamondbacks would have to 31-15 to tie us. Washington would have to go 33-12 to tie.

In the division/#1 WC spot, we would need the cards to go 23-22 for us to tie them. Pittsburgh would have to go 20-25.

I just checked the Cards schedule out and they have a upcoming 17 game stretch of games against the Braves, Pirates, and us.  That is going to be brutal.  The Pirates have an upcoming west coast trip.  Its our time to pounce if we want to stay out of that wild card play-in game.

Archived