*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

Its actually lauding Zimmer for having success with average or surprising pieces. Anyone can win with Lebron and DWade

Problem is many on this board see a way to get some better than average pieces to replace the average ones in FA.  I can't imagine what Zimmer could do with a REAL strong safety and a stud MLB with this defense.

Maybe, you aren't going to be good every year.  but there may have been some other rabbit hiding in there for him to pull out.  Also, while acknowledging your statement is factually correct, I don't think Zimmer is getting stuck with players he doesn't want.  It seems from the outside looking in that he has a good deal of input regarding personnel on that side of the ball.

Perhaps you are defending a position you aren't even occupying?

I have been lost sense the beginning of the conversation. I simply think it's not wise to play Maualuga in the middle and he would be better at SLB. I actually think he will end up starting there. I also think that coaches mess up some times and some times fans might be right about things. That doesn't miraculously make me a better DC.

I think its fun to play closet GM and think about who I would sign if I had the power. I don't think I am smarter then every NFL GM there ever was. In fact if I was hired today as GM I would immediately hire Akili-1181 and Jason to be my Fellowship of the GM. I think all three of them know more then me about the draft and FA's and I am sure there are plenty of others. And you know what just because I think they know more then me about it doesn't mean every opionion they have about it I agree with or would go with. 

Again, Zimmer does an outstanding job with what he is given.     Katie and Mike should be giving him better toys to play with.

I think we have the most talent on his side of the ball.  Some of that is good talent evaluation in the draft (geno, dunlap, johnson) and some is fixing broken guys who had been rejected elsewhere (Jones, Howard), and also guys from other teams Zimmer knows what he can do with (Newman).

All of it has Zim's fingerprints on it, IMO.

I think we have the most talent on his side of the ball.  Some of that is good talent evaluation in the draft (geno, dunlap, johnson) and some is fixing broken guys who had been rejected elsewhere (Jones, Howard), and also guys from other teams Zimmer knows what he can do with (Newman).

All of it has Zim's fingerprints on it, IMO.

There is no doubt our defense is better than our offense.   That doesn't mean we can't improve a few spots and make this defense the stuff of NFL Films.  Give Zimmer the nasty MLB and SS he needs and he could turn this defense into something really special.

Rey staying on the team is not indicitive of how good he is as much as how limited their options were. They even said so.

Making a roster isn't an indicator of how good a football somebody is?  Really?  That's interesting.

Performance of the team isn't an indicator of how good those players are?  Really? 

Being offered a contract and chance to once again earn a roster spot isn't an indicator of how good a football player somebody is? 

That is an interesting way to look at things. 

Problem is many on this board see a way to get some better than average pieces to replace the average ones in FA.  I can't imagine what Zimmer could do with a REAL strong safety and a stud MLB with this defense.

LOL.  He has like 80 no. 1 draft picks.  

The reality is our coaches a do good job coaching our good players.   The latter portion only comes into question when certain posters want to grind that axe they been carrying around.

Making a roster isn't an indicator of how good a football somebody is?  Really?  That's interesting.

Performance of the team isn't an indicator of how good those players are?  Really? 

Being offered a contract and chance to once again earn a roster sport isn't an indicator of how good a football player somebody is? 

That is an interesting way to look at things. 

Ahh the team is good so Rey is good line of reasoning just don't fly (See Luc Longley: Chicago Bulls World Champion Center).  There are a multitude of starting MLBs that would have made the team even better.   

LOL.  He has like 80 no. 1 draft picks.  

The reality is our coaches a do good job coaching our good players.   The latter portion only comes into question when certain posters want to grind that axe they been carrying around.

I will grind the Rey sucks Axe as long as he proves me right. 

Ahh the team is good so Rey is good line of reasoning just don't fly (See Luc Longley: Chicago Bulls World Champion Center).  There are a multitude of starting MLBs that would have made the team even better.   

It flys.   Luc Longley is the perfect example.    

There is no doubt our defense is better than our offense.   That doesn't mean we can't improve a few spots and make this defense the stuff of NFL Films.  Give Zimmer the nasty MLB and SS he needs and he could turn this defense into something really special.

Apparently, Mike Zimmer thinks he already has the MLB he needs.

Apparently, Mike Zimmer thinks he already has the MLB he needs.

When did he tell you that?  "He" also thought he had the strong safety he needed in Mays and Miles last year.   Good thing Crocker was available. 

I seriously doubt Zimmer thinks Rey is the long term answer at MLB.  The draft will tell us all we need to know as will the starting lineups in the first few pre season games.

Ahh the team is good so Rey is good line of reasoning just don't fly.  There are a multitude of starting MLBs that would have made the team even better. 

I love debating you SF2, but I wish you would drop the Rey sux thing.. I think we could definitely improve his position, and I don't think anyone would argue the opposite. But the fact remains that he isn't even the worst linebacker on the team let alone the worst player on the defense.  He was signed for average starter money, and that is what I think they expect from him... Average play.

I think if we were to sit and talk with Zimmer, it's possible we realize he may not feel the MLB is as big of a hindrance to his scheme as we do.  Maybe he does, but if he roles Rey out there again at MLB, I think we have our answer.

I also think if they see a guy who would make that position better for a price which is in line with the importance in the scheme they will bring him on.. Maybe this comes in the draft?  I think they see someone in Rey who can do the job on a top 10 D, and if they find a replacement, all the better.  But they just don't seem as anxious about it as some of us do.

It flys.   Luc Longley is the perfect example.    

Of what?  A below average 7-2 center on a team full of future hall of famers?   I wouldn't be having this conversation if we didn't have plenty of cap space and better options were available.  I am sure the Bulls did what they could given Jordan's, Grants and Pippen's contract.  We don't currently have that problem.

If we were paying Tom Brady or Brees buckets of money and had little cap space left, I wouldn't even be arguing.

I love debating you SF2, but I wish you would drop the Rey sux thing.. I think we could definitely improve his position, and I don't think anyone would argue the opposite. But the fact remains that he isn't even the worst linebacker on the team let alone the worst player on the defense.  He was signed for average starter money, and that is what I think they expect from him... Average play.

I think if we were to sit and talk with Zimmer, it's possible we realize he may not feel the MLB is as big of a hindrance to his scheme as we do.  Maybe he does, but if he roles Rey out there again at MLB, I think we have our answer.

I also think if they see a guy who would make that position better for a price which is in line with the importance in the scheme they will bring him on.. Maybe this comes in the draft?  I think they see someone in Rey who can do the job on a top 10 D, and if they find a replacement, all the better.  But they just don't seem as anxious about it as some of us do.

Rey is NOT average at MLB.  I was at enough games to witness his play.  WAY too inconsistent.

Everyone is a Super Bowl contender right now, well except Cleveland.  They are already 0-2 and the season hasn't even started.

Not true.  There is only a handful of contenders and we all get discounted prices from veterans.  The Raiders (...etc.) pay top dollar.

Of what?  A below average 7-2 center on a team full of future hall of famers?   I wouldn't be having this conversation if we didn't have plenty of cap space and better options were available.  I am sure the Bulls did what they could given Jordan's, Grants and Pippen's contract.  We don't currently have that problem.

If we were paying Tom Brady or Brees buckets of money and had little cap space left, I wouldn't even be arguing.

I'm sure there was some loud mouth BULLS fan trying to equate gloom and doom over the prospect of having Luc Longley.   Boom that's one of the greatest NBA teams and sports teams of all time.

One of the greatest sports teams of all time had Luc Longley.      If we had a Pro Ball MLB then the hoard would move along to the next whipping boy.

Seriously don't you ever notice the cycle? 

But back to Jamie's point because it is devoid of logic and it's fun to point out.   Making a team is an indication of how good a player you are.   Duh, kinda the point of having roster cut downs. 

Rey is NOT average at MLB.  I was at enough games to witness his play.  WAY too inconsistent.

I think he was average towards the end of the year, decidedly below early on.  Which, as bad as it is, was improvement.  IMO the coaches saw improvement in his game.  I think they know they have to upgrade one of the LB spots this year.  We have seen more action at OLB than MLB.  Which I think tells us that the Bengals see a better opportunity to upgrade there so far in FA.  I haven't looked at the details of Rey's contract, but I would be willing to wager it is one that affords the Bengals to cut him fairly painlessly after this year should they decide to. 

They didn't break the bank on him and will probably get their 3.5m out of him this year.  We can win it all with the defense that took the field last year. Rey is not really a problem.

I'm sure there was some loud mouth BULLS fan trying to equate gloom and doom over the prospect of having Luc Longley.   Boom that's one of the greatest NBA teams and sports teams of all time.

One of the greatest sports teams of all time had Luc Longley.      If we had a Pro Ball MLB then the hoard would move along to the next whipping boy.

Seriously don't you ever notice the cycle? 

Well, when we have an in his prime Petyon Manning for our offense (Jordan) and an in his prime Rey Lewis on defense (Pippen)  I will shut up.   Its a 5 man sport.  When you have perhaps the best player ever and another who is certainly up there on your team the other players don't have to be all that great, just serviceable.

Well, when we have an in his prime Petyon Manning for our offense (Jordan) and an in his prime Rey Lewis on defense (Pippen)  I will shut up.   Its a 5 man sport.  When you have two of the best players in the world on your team the other players don't have to be all that great, just serviceable.

So Atkins and AJ Green are what to you?  Average? 

Well, when we have an in his prime Petyon Manning for our offense (Jordan) and an in his prime Rey Lewis on defense (Pippen)  I will shut up.   Its a 5 man sport.  When you have perhaps the best player ever and another who is certainly up there on your team the other players don't have to be all that great, just serviceable.

Right... And Rey is one of 11.  The argument could be made that your logic applies to MLB in our scheme.  We have rolled out some damn average MLB's in our top tier defense over the last few years.

Archived