*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

According to Nate Livings and Taylor Mays they can do no wrong.

Can't argue the point.. And I'm sure Picasso had a few strokes he wishes he could have back too.. The coaches may be no Picasso, but they still know way more than you, and a track record that says they are among the best in the world at what they do... What about you?

Well, since you haven't called anything, that's debatable. If you think Burfect at Will, Rey at MLB and someone to be named later at SAM is the best option given the current FAs on the market and our current cap space just say so.
Then, we will mock you in ernest.

Do you seriously think I give a flyin what you think? You are WELL AWARE that I don't.

Can't argue the point.. And I'm sure Picasso had a few strokes he wishes he could have back too.. The coaches may be no Picasso, but they still know way more than you, and a track record that says they are among the best in the world at what they do... What about you?

This.

Do you seriously think I give a flyin what you think? You are WELL AWARE that I don't.

Ahh, a classic example of avoiding the question and attacking the person asking it.

If you don't care what I or anyone else thinks then give us your best case scenario at LB. This is a Bengals message board, that's what people do here.

Ahh, a classic example of avoiding the question and attacking the person asking it.
If you don't care what I or anyone else thinks then give us your best case scenario at LB. This is a Bengals message board, that's what people do here.

Sorry, I didn't think I attacked, you, I just told you I don't give a shit about you saying you would mock me. Now as far as what I think based on the evidence at hand, I would say we are looking for a 3rd LB to start. Burfict will start the year a Will and Rey M will start at Mike, so we are looking for a Sam. All the handwringing for Rey to be benched is retarded. Both Dansby and Harrison provide pluses and minuses, Dansby the ability to play all three spots and a basic knowledge of the D coming from Coyle's system, and Harrison would provide a little of the Nasty that I think is one of the things missing from this D. I also think they are looking for depth, and some of that will come in the draft. Now, if I had my druthers, I would probably move Rey to Sam and Burfict to the middle, but if Zimmer, who sees them everyday in practice and watches every bit of film on them, feels that it's not going to make his D better, than I'm more than willing to allow him to make that decision, because he's EARNED IT. So, I guess it's the same scenario I've been saying for the last 3 months?

Sign Dansby and Harrison for SAM.  Switch between both players with a 50/50 time split between a mean streak QB chaser and a smart coverage tackler the rest of the time, ...problem solved.

Every once in a while rush Dansby and use Harrison in coverage, ...that will screw with their heads.

Also, ...re-sign Howard.

Sign Dansby and Harrison for SAM.  Switch between both players with a 50/50 time split between a mean streak QB chaser and a smart coverage tackler the rest of the time, ...problem solved.

Every once in a while rush Dansby and use Harrison in coverage, ...that will screw with their heads.

Also, ...re-sign Howard.

lol riiiight.  

Sorry, I didn't think I attacked, you, I just told you I don't give a shit about you saying you would mock me. Now as far as what I think based on the evidence at hand, I would say we are looking for a 3rd LB to start. Burfict will start the year a Will and Rey M will start at Mike, so we are looking for a Sam. All the handwringing for Rey to be benched is retarded. Both Dansby and Harrison provide pluses and minuses, Dansby the ability to play all three spots and a basic knowledge of the D coming from Coyle's system, and Harrison would provide a little of the Nasty that I think is one of the things missing from this D. I also think they are looking for depth, and some of that will come in the draft. Now, if I had my druthers, I would probably move Rey to Sam and Burfict to the middle, but if Zimmer, who sees them everyday in practice and watches every bit of film on them, feels that it's not going to make his D better, than I'm more than willing to allow him to make that decision, because he's EARNED IT. So, I guess it's the same scenario I've been saying for the last 3 months?

I should have put a ninja after the "we will mock you" statement.   Just kidding.

Certainly Zimmer will make the call and your scenario is probably a good guess as to what will happen, my only problem is I think Rey sucks at MLB and just about every rating service and my own two eyes are proof.

One thing I will add that most on this board refuse to acknowledge is that this defense wasn't very good at the beginning of the year last year.  The cold hard fact is that it took putting in an undrafted FA at the WILL position, bringing back Crocker,  and Newman playing perhaps the best football of his career at age 34 to save the season defensively.    Zimmer certainly worked some magic during the season, something very hard to do, to get this team back on track defensively.

Zimmer is a good coach no doubt but he is not infallible.   My guess is Rey will start at MLB but he will be on an incredibly short leash.  If he doesn't prove himself very early in the season he will be benched.   His play last year at the position will NOT get it done.

I don't know if you meant it as douchebag of a player or person, but I can tell you this, every training camp practice I have been at or any event Maualuga is usually the last one out signing autographs and talking to the fans.

Maualuga seems like a genuinely good dude even if he has had some maturity issues in the past.

Player of course. That's the name I seem to call him several times a game (and likely more than that in our last game)

I would be thrilled to see him off the team. That is all.

And yeah, please no fucking JH in stripes.

Dansby is actually a pretty good rusher and Harrison is actually a pretty good coverage guy.

I agree - although I also think it's a mistake to peg Dansby in a SLB-only hole.  In fact, I think he'd do a bang up job a WSLB.

Furthermore, though I do think we are looking at taking a guy in the draft, let's not forget how many LB's from last year are no longer with us.  No Skuta and no Howard and no Lawson (and correct me if I'm wrong 1181, but don't we sometimes carry 1 more LB than we did last year - or was that the high number?).

I doubt we do it but conceivably we could sign both Dansby and Harrison, resign Howard, and then still draft a LB for the future.  Both of the Rey's are fine backups, but the LB unit was a true weak-spot last year and there's no reason not to promote competition and upgrades.

Having said all of that, I'm guessing we'll sign two of the three from Dansby, Harrison, and Howard (maybe not until training camp) and draft a newbie.

We have this conversation about once a month and its always dumb.

Politicians are the best at what they do, does that mean you can't question their strategies and policies?

If sports were how you seem to be describing them then we should all just come here and praise our team. The only discussion would be what's the best way to honor Marvin Lewis.

If we weren't allowed to talk about anyone who was better then us at something, what would we ever talk about. Can we talk about Dalton's errant pass. Afterall he knows better then us what he was thinking there?

Marvin Lewis knows more then Joe Reedy. Can Joe Reedy talk about Marvin Lewis?

Mehh, no GM gets a perfect score. Mays cost us a couple of gas cards at Speedway so he really doesnt count.

I agree. I just always laugh at the notion that we are not allowed to talk about these guys because they know more.

Dansby is actually a pretty good rusher and Harrison is actually a pretty good coverage guy or were you laughing about re-signing Howard?

I'm guessing he was laughing at the odds of signing dansby Harrison and Howard.

I'd be happy just signing one let alone all three.

I should have put a ninja after the "we will mock you" statement.   Just kidding.

Certainly Zimmer will make the call and your scenario is probably a good guess as to what will happen, my only problem is I think Rey sucks at MLB and just about every rating service and my own two eyes are proof.

One thing I will add that most on this board refuse to acknowledge is that this defense wasn't very good at the beginning of the year last year.  The cold hard fact is that it took putting in an undrafted FA at the WILL position, bringing back Crocker,  and Newman playing perhaps the best football of his career at age 34 to save the season defensively.    Zimmer certainly worked some magic during the season, something very hard to do, to get this team back on track defensively.

Zimmer is a good coach no doubt but he is not infallible.   My guess is Rey will start at MLB but he will be on an incredibly short leash.  If he doesn't prove himself very early in the season he will be benched.   His play last year at the position will NOT get it done.

I don't like hte fact that they haven't brought back Crocker. It seems disloyal.

Your own example shows evidence of Zimmer re-evaluating and making adjustments to fix miscalculations. And for good reason, this is something I would say is one of his finer qualities.  That ability to cut through bull shit (even his own) and get to the meat of things.

So what needs to be considered is why does he seem unable to do this where our MLB is concerned?  Or perhaps he will make the change this season and we can all say to ourselves "that was the best thing to do".. But if he doesn't, why? My eyes tends to agree that Rey was not what I would call "good" in the middle for most of the season.  What I am willing to consider is that it's likely Zimmer is seeing more than me, not less.

I agree - although I also think it's a mistake to peg Dansby in a SLB-only hole.  In fact, I think he'd do a bang up job a WSLB.

Furthermore, though I do think we are looking at taking a guy in the draft, let's not forget how many LB's from last year are no longer with us.  No Skuta and no Howard and no Lawson (and correct me if I'm wrong 1181, but don't we sometimes carry 1 more LB than we did last year - or was that the high number?).

I doubt we do it but conceivably we could sign both Dansby and Harrison, resign Howard, and then still draft a LB for the future.  Both of the Rey's are fine backups, but the LB unit was a true weak-spot last year and there's no reason not to promote competition and upgrades.

Having said all of that, I'm guessing we'll sign two of the three from Dansby, Harrison, and Howard (maybe not until training camp) and draft a newbie.

I think we draft Ogletree. I think that Marvin and Mike both see themselves as helping trouble young men and both are enamored with speed and athletic ability.

Your own example shows evidence of Zimmer re-evaluating and making adjustments to fix miscalculations. And for good reason, this is something I would say is one of his finer qualities.  That ability to cut through bull shit (even his own) and get to the meat of things.

So what needs to be considered is why does he seem unable to do this where our MLB is concerned?  Or perhaps he will make the change this season and we can all say to ourselves "that was the best thing to do".. But if he doesn't, why? My eyes tends to agree that was not what I would call "good" in the middle for most of the season.  What I am willing to consider is that it's likely Zimmer is seeing more than me, not less.

Are we allowed to question Zimmer? Could it be that a coach is tied into a project because it was his project?

Dansby is actually a pretty good rusher and Harrison is actually a pretty good coverage guy or were you laughing about re-signing Howard?

I was laughing at the fact that you want to sign two vets, one of which will likely get starter's money (Dansby) and another who will make twice as much as a normal backup (Harrison) to play a spot that is only on the field about 40-45% of the snaps to begin with.  

Sign one, sure.  Signing both is unrealistic. Signing both to split time at the same spot, is laughable.

Politicians are the best at what they do, does that mean you can't question their strategies and policies?

If sports were how you seem to be describing them then we should all just come here and praise our team. The only discussion would be what's the best way to honor Marvin Lewis.

If we weren't allowed to talk about anyone who was better then us at something, what would we ever talk about. Can we talk about Dalton's errant pass. Afterall he knows better then us what he was thinking there?

Politicians are in office because they are the best at getting votes.  I think we can all agree that there seems to be a disconnect as far as winning elections and achievement in regards to politics.. Your analogy is lame.

Regardless, I don't have an issue with people discussing these things... Who we should sign, who you think would be better in the middle, are all relevant topics.  It's the attitude many on here have about those decisions that is irritating.

It's mostly that I think that if pretty much any one of you were to actually sit at a table with our coaches and try to debate them like you do here on these topics, I think someone ends up looking and feeling foolish.. And I don't think that would be Zim...

I agree. I just always laugh at the notion that we are not allowed to talk about these guys because they know more.

I don't think anyone is saying you can't talk about it an share your opinions of a player.

I'm just under the opinion that ill trust what Marin and Zim think of a guy more than what a bunch of fans think. They watch all the film on these guys, talk to them and interview them in person, and also know way more about football then we will ever know.

So if we go out and draft an Arthur brown over an ogletree, even if ogletree looks like the better prospect, I'd trust that given all the info the coaches have that they have a very logical reason for doing that. Our opinions are more like educated guesses.

At the end of the day ifthe coaches might hit on their projections of players 65 percent of the time, fans prob hit 25%. That does leave opportunity for you or I to disagree with a coach and be right, but prob not very often.

Definitely still discuss but just stating my opinion on the situation.

I don't think anyone is saying you can't talk about it an share your opinions of a player.

I'm just under the opinion that ill trust what Marin and Zim think of a guy more than what a bunch of fans think. They watch all the film on these guys, talk to them and interview them in person, and also know way more about football then we will ever know.

So if we go out and draft an Arthur brown over an ogletree, even if ogletree looks like the better prospect, I'd trust that given all the info the coaches have that they have a very logical reason for doing that. Our opinions are more like educated guesses.

At the end of the day ifthe coaches might hit on their projections of players 65 percent of the time, fans prob hit 25%. That does leave opportunity for you or I to disagree with a coach and be right, but prob not very often.

Definitely still discuss but just stating my opinion on the situation.

That's the fine line we walk around here, ...the coaches are on the inside and know way more about the conditions that surround them than we do, ...however, ...ours is still just an opinion on what we see from an outside perspective.

That's the fine line we walk around here, ...the coaches are on the inside and know way more about the conditions that surround them than we do, ...however, ...ours is still just an opinion on what we see from an outside perspective.

Yeah exactly the reason I give them the benefit of the doubt more often than not. Even though they are obviously wrong sometimes.

I just don't like when people say "oh I knew we should have draft guy x over guy y" because even if they were right and made a better decision then the coaches made, the coaches still probably made a better 6 picks then the fan.

But At the end of the day it is a message board that's what all this shit is for, so carry on.

I'm guessing he was laughing at the odds of signing dansby Harrison and Howard.

I'd be happy just signing one let alone all three.

I was laughing at the fact that you want to sign two vets, one of which will likely get starter's money (Dansby) and another who will make twice as much as a normal backup (Harrison) to play a spot that is only on the field about 40-45% of the snaps to begin with.  

Sign one, sure.  Signing both is unrealistic. Signing both to split time at the same spot, is laughable.

Dansby will sign for a decent price, ...IMO, ...making the rest of my comment logical.

Also, ...we have more money to spend than roster space.

Eh, you are free to discuss whatever you feel necessary.    But here is an example:

There is a well known Offensive Line clinic hosted in Cincinnati.  It includes alot of industry experts at all levels.

Now,  let's take some of our resident Go-Bengal experts and some of their ideas and critism and present it in the same tone and see how quicly you are laughed off the stage.

Discuss all you want however all this board amounts to is a gigantic waste of time in the form of entertainment.  

At the end of the day Marvin is charged with the responsibility to coach a team to the Superbowl.   So there is opportunity for people that have that negative mindset to challenge a whole bunch of stuff and even in a weird way justify how they were right and smarter than the expert.   Typically in those situations the "wanna be" doesn't have the first clue and it doesn't mean they couldn't eventually be successful but it's going to take time and a lot more effort.

Archived