*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

I don't know about you but when I watched film with coaches they had a log of plays called and they graded accordingly.

What do you know that they don't? 

I can speak 5 languages besides English.  I doubt the coaches can do that.   Let me know if you want to actually discuss the player instead of resorting to these tactics.

OMG Yu don't know the playcall so the guy who misses tackles and can't cover could still be awesome!!!!!!!!!111

Ian Rappaport says it's one or the other, Harrison or Dansby.

Harrison intriuges, but I lean heavily towards Dansby.

Dansby would be nice because you can envision how he fits.

Harrison more of a sizzle it certainly would grab headlines for the team.   Steelers are good at finding LBs for their system and dumping them when they need to in order to allow the next cog to step up. 

I saw Rey on the field last season too. Many of the issues he had stemmed from the fact that the majority of the time he was flanked by two undrafted rookies - Burfict and Lamur - and he was trying to do too much and cover more than just his own responsibility. Zimmer even alluded to this when he talked about how Rey was put in the position of trying to direct "kinder care" out there on the field.

This is untrue

I can speak 5 languages besides English.  I doubt the coaches can do that.   Let me know if you want to actually discuss the player instead of resorting to these tactics.

OMG Yu don't know the playcall so the guy who misses tackles and can't cover could still be awesome!!!!!!!!!111

Nice attempt at redirection.. While how many languages you speak is entirely irrelevant to this conversation, the fact that coaches rely on a fairly complex process and many hours of using play logs and high definition film from multiple angles to grade performances and you pulled your opinion out of your ass while watching on TV, isn't.

You maybe able to speak multiple languages but you can't comprehend shit.

The topic was evidence.  You said you had evidence.   Apparently you don't.

These are not tatics but the metrics of the discussion you willingly participated in.   We are discussing the player.   I am referring to an expert known as the Bengals Defensive Coordinator - Mike Zimmer.     Why should I listen to you?  

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.   You'd piss down your leg and ending up saying Yes Sir, Yes Sir 3 bags full.   

Let's not pretend you are even prepared to have that conversation.

You did?   I saw a defense that gave the offense every chance to win a game.  

So you think Maualuga played well last year?

Dansby would be nice because you can envision how he fits.

Harrison more of a sizzle it certainly would grab headlines for the team.   Steelers are good at finding LBs for their system and dumping them when they need to in order to allow the next cog to step up. 

And you get the feeling you can get at least 2 if not 3 years out of Dansby, while Harrison feels like he's on his last gasp.

Nice attempt at redirection.. While how many languages you speak is entirely irrelevant to this conversation, the fact that coaches rely on a fairly complex process and many hours of using play logs and high definition film from multiple angles to grade performances and you pulled your opinion out of your ass while watching on TV, isn't.

While high and drunk with his hands down his pants monitoring the Go-bengals game day thread.   I'm not judging by the way that's enjoyable Sunday afternoon. 

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.   You'd piss down your leg and ending up saying Yes Sir, Yes Sir 3 bags full.   

Let's not pretend you are even prepared to have that conversation.

Why would I piss down my leg? There is nothing wrong with asking questions. I would ask him right now.

Why would I piss down my leg? There is nothing wrong with asking questions. I would ask him right now.

I can believe you would ask him questions.. Believing you could hang with him in a debate about football is comical.

Right, cuz that's what I'm doing.  Pulling my view of Rey out of my ass.  There is not evidence to back up my assertions but the only evidence you and others provide is that "the coaches said he did good".  Gotcha. 

So my eyes, when they see Rey take a bad angle and miss the tackler as a result, I should just realize that since I don't have all game tape and coach's grades I'm probably mistaken in my assessment of his failure.  Gotcha. 

Makes total sense. 

So you think Maualuga played well last year?

No.  I think Rey is your run of the mill NFL LB.    He's starter quality. 

My participation in these rants is never about my assessment of Rey.   It's ignorance displayed by posters like yourself.  It's devoid of reality of the sport you claim to follow.

The most fun is watching you pretend you could be GM and can't grasp the reality of the sport.

There will always be weakspots in every unit no matter how good or bad.    The fact is players the caliber of Rey are the most common in the NFL. 

Those are facts.   Coaches everywhere will always be tasked to win a Superbowl with these type of players playing major roles.  There will never be a day that they won't. 

So let me get this straight. The argument is that people who watch games but don't coach can't possibly be correct over a coach because of his position and greater knowledge. And when you point out what about Taylor Mays....that's considered an outlier and not worth discussion?

Being wrong once doesn't magically make someone from this board smarter then the Defensive Coordinator for the Bengals. Just as having greater overall knowledge on an issue doesn't make someone infallible.

If Mike Zimmer signed Isreal Ifeanyhi and started him tomorrow would you say, "He is Mike Zimmer...sounds like a good deal?"

I think Mike Zimmer himself would say "We messed up last year starting Taylor Mays." I think by week 5 of this year when Vontaze Burfict or someone else not named Maualuga is starting at MLB Zimmer will be kicking himself for forcing it there again and being stubborn (if he even ends up doing that).

I can believe you would ask him questions.. Believing you could hang with him in a debate about football is comical.

Who believes that? No one has even said that. Strawman up in the house!

See this why Jamie B was right about the IPAD stuff.    Apparently Khatmandude has successfully stolen game plans, play calls, coaches thoughts, player grades, film cut ups.

Motherfucker!  How could you do this?  How could you risk this information getting out to the public or worse other teams?   You have the evidence!!!!! SHIT!  Fucking wireless internet and IPADS!!!!!  FUCK FUCK FUCK!   

What are we going to do now? 

No, but I was and still am right about that.

No.  I think Rey is your run of the mill NFL LB.    He's starter quality. 

My participation in these rants is never about my assessment of Rey.   It's ignorance displayed by posters like yourself.  It's devoid of reality of the sport you claim to follow.

The most fun is watching you pretend you could be GM and can't grasp the reality of the sport.

There will always be weakspots in every unit no matter how good or bad.    The fact is players the caliber of Rey are the most common in the NFL. 

Those are facts.   Coaches everywhere will always be tasked to win a Superbowl with these type of players playing major roles.  There will never be a day that they won't. 

I think that Rey is not starter quality at MLB and I don't think I stand alone with that assessment. The reality of the sport is we would be better off with a better MLB. I agree with your reality being that not all positions are all stars. But you are acting like teams should just accept weakspots and not try to upgrade. Teams do all they can to try not to start Rey Maualuga's (at MLB) and if they have to they role with it.

so they want to sign Atkins, Smith, and MJ (and others), but you want to spend $5M on Harrison and Dansby to SHARE time at a position that isn't even on the field 55-60% of the time.

Thank you for making my point.

My argument was a net wash.

Smith walks and we save $5+ mil on his replacement (probowler)

= we have 5 mil more added to the pot.

We sign Harrison for just above league minimum (we can get that price).

We sign Dansby for $3 million (we can get that price).

= we spend less than $5 mil of the pot.

And you get the feeling you can get at least 2 if not 3 years out of Dansby, while Harrison feels like he's on his last gasp.

Yeah 35 and coming off injury for a player that really has lived off beating players around the edge.   I think he'd be situational in Cincinnati. 

Dansby I could see as a starter.

Right, cuz that's what I'm doing.  Pulling my view of Rey out of my ass.  There is not evidence to back up my assertions but the only evidence you and others provide is that "the coaches said he did good".  Gotcha. 

So my eyes, when they see Rey take a bad angle and miss the tackler as a result, I should just realize that since I don't have all game tape and coach's grades I'm probably mistaken in my assessment of his failure.  Gotcha. 

Makes total sense. 

It makes total sense.  If someone who does something for a living, and has proven to be among the best in his field puts in the time with his ass on the line, and comes to a different conclusion than the guy who does it part time for fun and has only a fraction of access to facts, and spent a fraction of time analyzing the situation with nothing on the line and no track record.. Yeah, I think the 2nd guy pulled it out of his ass.

The problem is perhaps that you don't realize you are pulling it out of your ass.

It makes total sense.  If someone who does something for a living, and has proven to be among the best in his field puts in the time with his ass on the line, and comes to a different conclusion than the guy who does it part time for fun and has only a fraction of access to facts, and spent a fraction of time analyzing the situation with nothing on the line and no track record.. Yeah, I think the 2nd guy pulled it out of his ass.

The problem is perhaps that you don't realize you are pulling it out of your ass.

Their are plenty of incompetent people with high positions and plenty of intelligent people who just do things as a hobby.

Livings is one. But there doesn't have to be a lot more. If there were a ton more then people would be saying Zimmer should be fired. The overwhelming sentiment is that Zimmer makes great decisions.

To your point...I think Zimmer is master of putting the BPA in the position he fits.  We suffer greatly from lack of talent on defense at times and he has been truly awesome at hiding our faults or at least disguising it.  Do other teams still take advantage of Maualuga - of course but that doesn't mean he isn't the best MLB we had last season.  You can't just insert Burfict in there as a rookie - it doesn't work.  Seriously...does anyone really think that all of the recycled players we have are that talented (all of a sudden)?  I think we have some good players that fit well into Zimmer's scheme.  Plug in better players = top 5 defense.  I think we should all be a bit thankful that so many of the dumpster players we got off the street turned into productive scheme players.  Burfict is really an anomoly but geez I'm so glad he worked out and at a silly price.  I personally love the way Zimmer conducts himself with the players themselves and they seem to really respond and produce for him.  Perhaps karma is finally coming back because our draft gambling and bad luck have been brutal for the last 10+ years.  It breaks my heart every time I see my Thurman and Pollack jersey in the back of my closet.  What we can do as fans is not nit pick everything they don't do well.  IMHO there has been some great drafting and some sheer luck in the past couple of years that has brought us to here.  So be positive, be thankful, and let's have a great year in 2013. 

You maybe able to speak multiple languages but you can't comprehend shit.

The topic was evidence.  You said you had evidence.   Apparently you don't.

These are not tatics but the metrics of the discussion you willingly participated in.   We are discussing the player.   I am referring to an expert known as the Bengals Defensive Coordinator - Mike Zimmer.     Why should I listen to you?  

Because I'm right? 

While high and drunk with his hands down his pants monitoring the Go-bengals game day thread.   I'm not judging by the way that's enjoyable Sunday afternoon. 

You monitor my laptop webcam don't you?  How else could you be this spot on?  And it is absolutely a very enjoyable way to spend your Sunday afternoon. 

Archived