*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

Rey is very much average.  People that say this don't have a clue about the talent levels in the NFL.    A player with his skill level is the most common type of player.  

I'm totally staying out of this because I've learned from experience that it's a pointless exercise, but I will ask you:

Aren't "average" and "common" pretty much synonyms? 

No.  I think Rey is your run of the mill NFL LB.    He's starter quality. 

My participation in these rants is never about my assessment of Rey.   It's ignorance displayed by posters like yourself.  It's devoid of reality of the sport you claim to follow.

The most fun is watching you pretend you could be GM and can't grasp the reality of the sport.

There will always be weakspots in every unit no matter how good or bad.    The fact is players the caliber of Rey are the most common in the NFL. 

Those are facts.   Coaches everywhere will always be tasked to win a Superbowl with these type of players playing major roles.  There will never be a day that they won't.

Damn, bro, you said that so well!

So Atkins and AJ Green are what to you?  Average? 

2 out of 22 is not really a comparison.  4 out of 22 would be.  Or more like 2 out of 11 per side.

Give us one more All-Pro on both sides of the ball and I think we'll be there.

That could be Dunlap on D.  Slight chance even Burfict.  

Can AD turn into Brees?  If Sanu extrapolated his production over those few games he over the season he would have broken the single-season receiving TD mark (I think), so it could be him.

We've got a lot of incoming red-shirt guys that it will be great to see flourish and have a chance. But...

Otherwise, we'll need to add those two guys to the team.

2 out of 22 is not really a comparison.  4 out of 22 would be.  Or more like 2 out of 11 per side.

Give us one more All-Pro on both sides of the ball and I think we'll be there.

That could be Dunlap on D.  Slight chance even Burfict.  

Can AD turn into Brees?  If Sanu extrapolated his production over those few games he over the season he would have broken the single-season receiving TD mark (I think), so it could be him.

We've got a lot of incoming red-shirt guys that it will be great to see flourish and have a chance. But...

Otherwise, we'll need to add those two guys to the team.

AD has already been to a pro Bowl, and Gresham has twice

AD has already been to a pro Bowl, and Gresham has twice

Yeah, but we have a lot of other people who've been to the pro-bowl that I'm also discounting.  I'm talking about undeniable all-pro caliber players.  AD and Gresham are currently no where near that level.  AJ and Geno have laid claim.

Yeah, but we have a lot of other people who've been to the pro-bowl that I'm also discounting.  I'm talking about undeniable all-pro caliber players.  AD and Gresham are currently no where near that level.  AJ and Geno have laid claim.

Then you probably ought to add Whitworth.

The other cold hard fact is Zimmer is NOT making the FA and Draft decisions.  Sure he has input but he isn't the one with the checkbook out pulling the lever.  He will do as good a job as any with the talent he is GIVEN.

And with all the "shitty" talent that he's been given, he has still managed to field a top tier defense. Either he's the best DC of all time, or maybe, just maybe, some of the guys you armchair GM's consider to be "suckage" are better than yo give them credit for

No.  I think Rey BJGE is your run of the mill NFL RB  LB.    He's starter quality. 

My participation in these rants is never about my assessment of BJGE Rey.   It's ignorance displayed by posters like yourself.  It's devoid of reality of the sport you claim to follow.

The most fun is watching you pretend you could be GM and can't grasp the reality of the sport.

There will always be weakspots in every unit no matter how good or bad.    The fact is players the caliber of BJGE Rey are the most common in the NFL. 

Those are facts.   Coaches everywhere will always be tasked to win a Superbowl with these type of players playing major roles.  There will never be a day that they won't. 

Biscuit!

So Atkins and AJ Green are what to you?  Average? 

Atkins I can buy, he is involved in almost every defensive play.  

Green is only as good at the guy throwing him the ball.  Green only had 1 100 yard game his last 6 games.  The most important player on the field on offense is the QB by a country mile.  I would trade Andy and AJ tomorrow for Peyton Manning in his prime and an average #1 receiver.  AJ is a great receiver.  He is pretty limited in what he can do if his QB can't get him the ball more.

Larry Fitzgerald is a great player.  Arizona's offense was ranked 32nd last year.   Last year's Peyton Manning makes Arizona a much better offensive team.   Putting AJ in for Larry Fitzgerald does not.  Manning and Wes Welker minus Larry Fitzgerald is a better team.

AJ was 10th in receiving last year.  He is better than almost everyone in front of him with the possible exception being Megatron.

And with all the "shitty" talent that he's been given, he has still managed to field a top tier defense. Either he's the best DC of all time, or maybe, just maybe, some of the guys you armchair GM's consider to be "suckage" are better than yo give them credit for

He is a great DC. I never said anything about ALL the shitty talent, just Rey.  I give Rey the credit he deserves, decent SAM linebacker, shitty MLB.  If he starts this year and plays well then I will gladly admit it but I have watched enough average linebackers to realize they don't usually have HORRIBLE games nor do they have great games.  Rey had good games AND horrible games.

Making a roster isn't an indicator of how good a football somebody is?  Really?  That's interesting.

Performance of the team isn't an indicator of how good those players are?  Really? 

Being offered a contract and chance to once again earn a roster spot isn't an indicator of how good a football player somebody is? 

That is an interesting way to look at things. 

Sometimes there are weaker players starting and sometimes there are better players. Being low balled on a contract in the short term when you are 25 is a pretty good idea of what they think.

Atkins I can buy, he is involved in almost every defensive play.  

Green is only as good at the guy throwing him the ball.  Green only had 1 100 yard game his last 6 games.  The most important player on the field on offense is the QB by a country mile.  I would trade Andy and AJ tomorrow for Peyton Manning in his prime and an average #1 receiver.  AJ is a great receiver.  He is pretty limited in what he can do if his QB can't get him the ball more.

Larry Fitzgerald is a great player.  Arizona's offense was ranked 32nd last year.

I don't entirely disagree, but comparing a second year Dalton to Manning in his prime is a little unfair.  Dalton has broken some records for a reason.  I think he's got a lot of improving to do, but so did Drew Brees at one point.  I think this is his biggest prove-it year for the front office.  If he can't get there, we have to seriously consider upgrading.  All of the other pieces will be in place.  And then, as I've said elsewhere, we'd actually be an enticing team for the kind of top-tier FA QB that might want to find a new home (and next year is a bumper crop for good QB's (though that wouldn't stop me from drafting Landry Jones or the kid from Duke late this year)).

Right... And Rey is one of 11.  The argument could be made that your logic applies to MLB in our scheme.  We have rolled out some damn average MLB's in our top tier defense over the last few years.

And consistently been frustrated with their inability to cover tes and backs out of the backfield.

Making a roster isn't an indicator of how good a football somebody is?  Really?  That's interesting.

Performance of the team isn't an indicator of how good those players are?  Really? 

Being offered a contract and chance to once again earn a roster spot isn't an indicator of how good a football player somebody is? 

That is an interesting way to look at things. 

There is Mr. Disingenous.

The coaches flat out told us that they thought free agency was going to go a different way.

They signed Rey to a 2 year deal for a reason, if he was "good" it would have been longer.

And consistently been frustrated with their inability to cover tes and backs out of the backfield.

And yet, defense has not been the issue with this team for several years.  Consistently in the top half or top 10.

No he didnt.

I coverd this, Rey is here only because we didnt have better options, that's not indicitive of being good so much as it is indicitive of how dry the market is.

Just make sure that you say in your opinion. The last I checked, your opinion and about 2 bucks is needed to get a cup of regular coffee at Starbucks.

I don't entirely disagree, but comparing a second year Dalton to Manning in his prime is a little unfair.  Dalton has broken some records for a reason.  I think he's got a lot of improving to do, but so did Drew Brees at one point.  I think this is his biggest prove-it year for the front office.  If he can't get there, we have to seriously consider upgrading.  All of the other pieces will be in place.  And then, as I've said elsewhere, we'd actually be an enticing team for the kind of top-tier FA QB that might want to find a new home (and next year is a bumper crop for good QB's (though that wouldn't stop me from drafting Landry Jones or the kid from Duke late this year)).

I can buy this assessment.   The cold hard reality is significant improvement of play by Andy is way more important than keeping AJ on the team.  Its not a knock on AJ who is an awesome talent but rather the reality of the importance of the QB in the modern NFL game. 

Just make sure that you say in your opinion. The last I checked, your opinion and about 2 bucks is needed to get a cup of regular coffee at Starbucks.

Which is about what yours amounts to as well.

Perhaps Kenneth you can tell me how often guys who are supposed to be good get signed to a 2 year deal when they are still only 26.

Face it, it doesnt happen. And the fact that you and sharm are trying to thump your chest about it is frankly embarrassing.

Perhaps Kenneth you can tell me how often guys who are supposed to be good get signed to a 2 year deal when they are still only 26.

Face it, it doesnt happen. And the fact that you and sharm are trying to thump your chest about it is frankly embarrassing.

Oh I agree and understand that my opinion has no value. With 58000+ posts, you obviously haven't figured that out yet. I was just trying to help you.

Truth.  This contract is nothing more than a, "This is your last chance to prove yourself" contract.  They obviously see things in practice and in games they like but they OBVIOUSLY see some of the same things we all see as well. 

Archived