*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

Just read some hack on NFL.com named Sesler, saying "each side has high interest" and "things will heat up over the weekend". Also speculated that it will be between Harrison and Dansby, but not both.

Don't know what to think. I like Dansby infinitely more than that prick Harrison...but I suppose I could live if we had that bastard. He had 6 sacks last year playing at half strength. Still is a player...got to give him that.

Ian Rapoport 
@RapSheet

There's high level of mutual interest between #Bengals & James Harrison. Contract talks could ramp up this weekend when 2 sides speak again

1. So you agree with me...there's hope for you yet!

2. Most "stop-gap" contracts are one year deals for little guaranteed money, not multi-years were half of the amount of the contract is guaranteed.

3. I like Twix and Reese Cups but if you want a Snickers that's fine with me.

4. He's not a ProBowl\All-Pro LB, we agree on that. But he's good enough to start at MLB, which is like the QB of the defense, for a top 10 defense for the past two season..the only seasons he has played MLB, btw..He's also good enough that two guys who have coached HOF LB's and have forgotten more about the NFL game than anyone on this board knows think's he good enough to start for them....so let's see who judgement should I go with. On one hand we have Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer who are in the Pro Rey camp & Jamie B who is in the Rey is stop-gap and just filling a spot camp...tough decision...I'mma go with the pro coaches on this one..no offense.   

1. Your sarcasm meter is broken

2. 2 years is hardly not a stop gap contract, again 26 years old and that's all he got, there is good reason for that.

3. That's nice

4. And as such you might want to take into account why they only gave him 2 years

FWIW, a stealers fan on here mentioned earlier in this thread (cant find the post) about how he struggled early in the season coming back from injury but once he got going he started looking like the harrison from old.

The stats back that up. He had 5 sacks and 2 FF in the 2nd half of 2012. Had 9 sacks in 2011 and over 10 sacks like the 3-4 seasons before that.

If they sign harrison and zim puts him in situations to get after the passer I think he will be able to do it.

And I dont think he could be worse then manny lawson. If somehow zim helps him get anywhere near where he was a couple years ago this could be a steal.  

Plus he hates the browns and ravens and will likely want to stick it to the stealers too.

Dont see much downside unless they are choosing him over someone else (ie dansby). But if its harrison or nobody, id take a shot on harrison.

Thank god Chad Ochocinco isn't on this team anymore. He and Harrison had a deep rooted hatred for one another. So glad we won't witness World War III in our locker room.

Have we ever had a hated guy on our team? A team other teams hated because of how he played the game?

Ian Rapoport 
@RapSheet

There's high level of mutual interest between #Bengals & James Harrison. Contract talks could ramp up this weekend when 2 sides speak again

I agree with your lack of excitement about Harrison. Dansby seems like such a better fit.

Have we ever had a hated guy on our team? A team other teams hated because of how he played the game?

Evan Mathis? Wasn't he supossed to be cheap.

I agree with your lack of excitement about Harrison. Dansby seems like such a better fit.

Evan Mathis? Wasn't he supossed to be cheap.

I don't know if that was his play or his general attitude in everyday life. I'd like to have some examples of why everyone thinks he was hated.

I don't know if that was his play or his general attitude in everyday life. I'd like to have some examples of why everyone thinks he was hated.

Mathis was not well liked by bengals players or coaches. Word is he's a dick and part of the reason he didn't play more. Upset the chemistry of the unit.

Yes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0911/nfl.players.poll.dirtiest.player/content.4.html

Roy L. Williams was voted in as 3rd dirtiest player.

Matt O'Dwyer never made a list but had a mean streak both on and off the field.  Lots of people tended to call him a dirty player but nothing warranting Hines Ward worthy. 

Note:  I've had players on our team I did not like so much because of how they played the game, does that count ?...

We have like 1 drafted starter in the backfield and now we are looking for FA starting Linebacker's.

I thought Marvin said the Bengals build thru the draft.  Don't we have some "next man up" guys?

Tell it to the hospital ward full of drafted Bengals LBs and RBs.

We need an exchange program with some teams that can draft LBs, and in exchange we will send them some 4th round WR that will be better than the 1st round WRs they waste picks on,  A team like the Bears comes to mind.

Tell it to the hospital ward full of drafted Bengals LBs and RBs.

We need an exchange program with some teams that can draft LBs, and in exchange we will send them some 4th round WR that will be better than the 1st round WRs they waste picks on,  A team like the Bears comes to mind.

Woah, pump the brakes there..  You're saying teams are allowed to sign players from OTHER teams during the offseason?

Why would they do a thing like that?

:33:

What evidence do I not have?  But I guess technically, you're right.....none of us have ALL the evidence.  I do have a good amount of it though......I've clearly seen Rey take bad angles, have seen him engulfed in linemen completely unable to shed a block, I've seen him get knocked on his ass, miss tackles, lack effort in tackling at times, simply un-able to cover the middle of the field whatsoever.  What evidence can be presented to me that would make me forget about these things and to make me say he's a good player that adds to a defense?  Maybe I'm being arrogant but I don't believe there is a significant enough pile of evidence somewhere to point me away from my current view of him. 

With him playing, the defense was ranked in the top 7....imagine how good and consistent it can be if a better player is in.  Imagine the lift a playmaking MLB can provide this team.  Rey doesn't make plays....your MLB should make plays. 

THIS!!!

THIS!!!

Rey is terrible. No contending team wanted him. Because he is awful. Gotta love how we brought back 3 worthless players in him, Tate, and Scott. Really trying to put a lock on that 1st round loss again. Marvin Lewis is going to break some kind of record for most playoff losses without a win. I know he can do it, only if he wants to. 

Rey is terrible. No contending team wanted him. Because he is awful. Gotta love how we brought back 3 worthless players in him, Tate, and Scott. Really trying to put a lock on that 1st round loss again. Marvin Lewis is going to break some kind of record for most playoff losses without a win. I know he can do it, only if he wants to. 

They're called camp bodies.  Don't blow your gaskett just yet!

Archived