*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

Oh I agree and understand that my opinion has no value. With 58000+ posts, you obviously haven't figured that out yet. I was just trying to help you.

What's funny is even by your own admission you would prefer him playing sam, where he gets less snaps in this system, even by your own admission you unwittingly admit he isnt that good.

There is Mr. Disingenous.

The coaches flat out told us that they thought free agency was going to go a different way.

They signed Rey to a 2 year deal for a reason, if he was "good" it would have been longer.

If he was "bad", they wouldn't have signed him. You are really tiresome in your peculiar need to rip Bengals players. We are all idiots with opinions. But you are a j--ck--s with an opinion who just won't shut up.

Truth.  This contract is nothing more than a, "This is your last chance to prove yourself" contract.  They obviously see things in practice and in games they like but they OBVIOUSLY see some of the same things we all see as well. 

I dont even view it as that, I view it as a get a "journeymen" guy to hold the spot until we can find someone better.

I dont even view it as that, I view it as a get a "journeymen" guy to hold the spot until we can find someone better.

Truth.  So you think Rey sucks more than me.  Whew, I was starting to think I was losing it.

If he was "bad", they wouldn't have signed him. You are really tiresome in your peculiar need to rip Bengals players. We are all idiots with opinions. But you are a j--ck--s with an opinion who just won't shut up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjUiRIL3poA

I can buy this assessment.   The cold hard reality is significant improvement of play by Andy is way more important than keeping AJ on the team.  Its not a knock on AJ who is an awesome talent but rather the reality of the importance of the QB in the modern NFL game.

I don't think anyone would argue about QB being the most important position by far. That being said, a stud WR like AJ is pretty high on the list of other positions that can have a huge impact. He impacts the run game in a big way by keeping Safeties out of the box. He opens up single coverage for other WRs and the TEs. He doesn't have to touch the ball to have a big impact on every offensive play.

I don't think anyone would argue about QB being the most important position by far. That being said, a stud WR like AJ is pretty high on the list of other positions that can have a huge impact. He impacts the run game in a big way by keeping Safeties out of the box. He opens up single coverage for other WRs and the TEs. He doesn't have to touch the ball to have a big impact on every offensive play.

I tend to agree with this.  Point is if you are going to have one GREAT player on offense, it better be your QB. Adrian Peterson's spectacular season still wasn't good enough to carry the Vikings anywhere in the playoffs with an average second year QB at the helm.

No he didnt.

I coverd this, Rey is here only because we didnt have better options, that's not indicitive of being good so much as it is indicitive of how dry the market is.

That's not true, the same guys who are available now have been available since Rey signed. Name 1 FA LB who signed a deal this offseason that is just hands down better than Rey. Keep in mind Rey started at MLB for top 10 defense two years in a row, so he was obviously doing something right.  Rey is here because the coaches wanted him to be here...simple as that.

I just find extremely funny that fans who only get to see guys a few times a year feel like they know who fits a coach's system better than the actual coach who designed the system, sees the player practice, sees him the film room, and understands what each player is supposed to be doing because he's the one asking the player to do it.

That's not true, the same guys who are available now have been available since Rey signed. Name 1 FA LB who signed a deal this offseason that is just hands down better than Rey. Keep in mind Rey started at MLB for top 10 defense two years in a row, so he was obviously doing something right.  Rey is here because the coaches wanted him to be here...simple as that.

I just find extremely funny that fans who only get to see guys a few times a year feel like they know who fits a coach's system moreso than the actual coach who designed the system, sees the player practice, sees him the film room, and understands what each player is supposed to be doing because he's the one asking the player to do it.

You just made my point. FA this year for LB isnt good, the coaches said as much when they said it didnt play out like they thought it was going to, and the fact that he at 26 years old, was only signed to a 2 year deal should be telling you exactly how much the DO think of him.

THAT is what is funny here, a few guys trying to thump their chest at a 2 year deal.

I just find extremely funny that fans who only get to see guys a few times a year feel like they know who fits a coach's system moreso than the actual coach who designed the system, sees the player practice, sees him the film room, and understands what each player is supposed to be doing because he's the one asking the player to do it.

If the system calls for taking bad angles, not having the ability to cover the middle of the field whatsoever, missing tackles, getting knocked on your ass, being unable to shed blocks etc....then he's a perfect system fit! 

Though I don't think anyone is running such a system in the NFL. 

I'm done with this topic.....it was real, it was fun, but it wasnt real fun. 

Rey isn't a bad SAM backer.  In fact, he played quite well there.  He is a BAD MLB.  He got what would be a good deal for a good SAM linebacker.  Look at the free agent signings of other LBs.  Rey didn't get anything close both in value and length to what a decent MLB his age would have gotten .

He isn't a good MLB BUT has proven he is pretty good at SAM.  That is why he was signed.

Fact is Rey got signed to a "stop-gap" contract that allows them to have more options come draft time to be able to do BPA and not reach for a specific player. Guys get signed to those kind of contracts all the time, it doesnt mean they are good it means they have a role to fill until the team can find someone to replace them.

The sooner some folks stop trying to make him out to be more than he is the sooner we can move on.

If the system calls for taking bad angles, not having the ability to cover the middle of the field whatsoever, missing tackles, getting knocked on your ass, being unable to shed blocks etc....then he's a perfect system fit! 

Though I don't think anyone is running such a system in the NFL. 

I'm done with this topic.....it was real, it was fun, but it wasnt real fun. 

The things you just listed happens to every LB in the NFL, no player makes every fucking play. Stop holding Rey to some unattainable standard by which no one compares. Every LB misses a tackle once in a while, every LB gets knock on his ass by offensive linemen who outweigh them by anywhere from 50-100 lbs, etc...

Just face it, you don't know what Zimmer asks his MLB's to do and if Zimmer thinks Rey has value as a MLB in his defensive scheme then I guess he is wrong and you are right...

Fact is Rey got signed to a "stop-gap" contract that allows them to have more options come draft time to be able to do BPA and not reach for a specific player. Guys get signed to those kind of contracts all the time, it doesnt mean they are good it means they have a role to fill until the team can find someone to replace them.

The sooner some folks stop trying to make him out to be more than he is the sooner we can move on.

Here are the facts:

1. You are talking out of your ass and have no clue what you are talking about.

2. Rey signed a 2 yr deal worth 6.5 million dollars, that sounds like "stop-gap" contract to me...(sarcasm)..The deal has 3.375 million in dead money if he is cut, so why would the Bengals structure a deal like that if they didn't plan on keeping him around for the duration of the contract.

3. You don't know how much they offered initial, we only know what was agreed upon. Maybe they offered him a longer contract but he wanted a shorter deal so he could have a chance to make more money after the two years are up...we don't know all of the facts to say one way or another.

4. Arizona flew Rey during the first weeks of FA, meaning he was a priority to another NFL franchise, which means he can't be the worst MLB in the NFL. This also means that there are two NFL coaching staffs who wanted Rey on their teams, to be the MLB of their defenses..obviously they are stupid and know nothing about football...well atleast not more than you because you read a PFF.com article somewhere and watched some games on TV realized that it was Rey's fault the offense only scored 1 TD in the last 3 games of the season while defense held opposing teams to under 20 pts in the last 8 games of the year...

And everytime we play in a big game, Rey's Dalton's play does the same.

Fixed it for ya!

The defense played well in the last 3 games of the season, which were all essentially playoff games as one loss would've put us out. Dalton struggled mightly managing one TD vs. the Raven's backups.. but yet all of you idoit fans want to point the finger at Rey, do you guys actually watch the games???

The things you just listed happens to every LB in the NFL, no player makes every fucking play. Stop holding Rey to some unattainable standard by which no one compares. Every LB misses a tackle once in a while, every LB gets knock on his ass by offensive linemen who outweigh them by anywhere from 50-100 lbs, etc...

Just face it, you don't know what Zimmer asks his MLB's to do and if Zimmer thinks Rey has value as a MLB in his defensive scheme then I guess he is wrong and you are right...

No, you're right.  I concede.  Rey played well last year and having him back is a big step in improving this football team and getting it to the Superbowl.   GO BENGALS!!!

Fixed it for ya!

The defense played well in the last 3 games of the season, which were all essentially playoff games as one loss would've put us out. Dalton struggled mightly managing one TD vs. the Raven's backups.. but yet all of you idoit fans want to point the finger at Rey, do you guys actually watch the games???

Just for the record, this idiot fan points the finger at Dalton also.  He needs to improve and take a significant step this year.  GO BENGALS!!!

Here are the facts:

1. You are talking out of your ass and have no clue what you are talking about.

2. Rey signed a 2 yr deal worth 6.5 million dollars, that sounds like "stop-gap" contract to me...(sarcasm)..The deal has 3.375 million in dead money if he is cut, so why would the Bengals structure a deal like that if they didn't plan on keeping him around for the duration of the contract.

3. You don't know how much they offered initial, we only know what was agreed upon. Maybe they offered him a longer contract but he wanted a shorter deal so he could have a chance to make more money after the two years are up...we don't know all of the facts to say one way or another.

4. Arizona flew Rey during the first weeks of FA, meaning he was a priority to another NFL franchise, which means he can't be the worst MLB in the NFL. This also means that there are two NFL coaching staffs who wanted Rey on their teams, to be the MLB of their defenses..obviously they are stupid and know nothing about football...well atleast not more than you because you read a PFF.com article somewhere and watched some games on TV realized that it was Rey's fault the offense only scored 1 TD in the last 3 games of the season while defense held opposing teams to under 20 pts in the last 8 games of the year...

1. Yeah ooook

2. I never said they didnt plan on keeping him for the duration for the contract, I said he was signed to a stop-gap contract that give them basicly 2 years to replace him.

3. Yeah let's go with that. (snickers)

4. I never said he was the worst MLB in the NFL, I said he isnt that good. AZ flew him in and he didnt sign, which indicates that they offered him less in terms of money or years or just as likely didnt want him enough to let him get out of the building. As far as PFF, you're going to have to try harder, I said that site sucked when they listed Evan Mathis as one of the best guards in the NFL while he was here.

Heavy lifting doesn't appear to have begun yet as #Bengals talk with James Harrison. But both sides seem interested.

I'm kinda pissed i scrolled through 5 pages to look for anything from Twitterand it was the very last message.  Was looking for actual news rather than pissing matches. 

This thread could set a record for most posts between actual news, if you can consider Twitter news...

Archived