*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

I'd like to see Jamie tell Rey to his face that he's garbage!

I would never do that because apparently that kind of stuff gets to Rey and effects his play according to Zimmer. And as long as he is here I'd like for him to play better.

about three years ago my wife met harrison at a restaurant in nky. she was his server. apparently his parents live here???

Parents are retired living in Akron.  His mother was charged with an assault upon (more than one ?) Browns fans in 2009.  They are still there in about 2012 as near as I can tell.  Harrison the player also lived in Pittsburgh, PA, Wexford, PA, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, and Kent, OH but his parents are still in Akron.

we're using walterfootball as credible sources of information now?

That's a sure way to lose an argument.

No you fink, the first thing I did was throw out Walterfootball's rankings. It's just a list. Go back and read my post, then come back and say something a little more relevant.  God, so much of the crop that's said on here would be fixed with basic reading comprehension.  

I dont think he is good at all, I think he is the prototypical top gap player that is average enough to be kept while they look for a long term solution.

And Justin is good NOW  for a few reasons one of the biggest being that he has finally dedicated himself to studying tape something by his own admission that he didnt do here.

No he's not or he would have been signed to a longer deal than 2 years.

However you want to spin it.   The dead money is high because they paid him up front money.

If you were looking to replace your car.   Would you prepay the oil changes? 

No you fink, the first thing I did was throw out Walterfootball's rankings. It's just a list. Go back and read my post, then come back and say something a little more relevant.  God, so much of the crop that's said on here would be fixed with basic reading comprehension.  

yes, I will admit I didn't read your post. :lol:

This conversation as a whole has gotten pretty dumb on both sides.  Just happy its in a thread about a player I hope they never sign.

However you want to spin it.   The dead money is high because they paid him up front money.

If you were looking to replace your car.   Would you prepay the oil changes? 

The dead money isnt high :lol:

I mean sure its high by our standards, but it isnt high by NFL standards. It's peanuts.

The dead money isnt high :lol:

I mean sure its high by our standards, but it isnt high by NFL standards. It's peanuts.

Well the NFL didn't do the deal did they?   Who did?  So what set of standards matter the most ya jackwheel?

Maybe the Bengals?    You might be high by anyone's standards.

according to some guy on nfl network he thinks that we might sign both harrison and dansby!

I've been suspecting/suggesting as much all day. It's also worth noting that the team is making these apparent moves after wrapping up their appraisal of the top prospects (we just heard today they had in Ogeltree).  One guess may be that they are also going to making a greater push for the present, and taking guys who need to grow is not something like'd to do given how close we are.  That's a fine approach in FA, but I hope we keep with BPA in the draft.

Well the NFL didn't do the deal did they?   Who did?  So what set of standards matter the most ya jackwheel?

Maybe the Bengals?  

Actually yes the NFL signs off on all deals dumbass. I was saying it's high by the standards of you and me the average person, but by the standards of an NFL contract the dead money is not that much.

I got to get to the gym.....

as far as you ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

Is someone in here arguing that Rey is "Good"?

I see a lot of people saying he is average, and signed a contract that reflects that, and some others saying he is utter garbage and completely sucks at football.. One position seems reasonable and one seems overly dramatic.

I don't want him starting at mlb

Actually yes the NFL signs off on all deals dumbass. I was saying it's high by the standards of you and me the average person, but by the standards of an NFL contract the dead money is not that much.

this is incredibly stupid.  The NFL has nothing to do with contract parameters and negotiations.  They only care that a contract is legal, and within the vet minimum guidelines.  They have no influence on things like dead money, how much a guy should get paid, etc.  There are no standards in "dead money".

I got to get to the gym.....

as far as you ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

Oh, so the NFL negotiated the deal between the Bengals and Rey?  That's abuse of power!!!!!!  

You better get to that gym because your going to need it when you tell Rey off.     

this is incredibly stupid.  The NFL has nothing to do with contract parameters and negotiations.  They only care that a contract is legal, and within the vet minimum guidelines.  They have no influence on things like dead money, how much a guy should get paid, etc.  There are no standards in "dead money".

I never said it did I don't know what you're talking about I simply said they sign off on it

Oh, so the NFL negotiated the deal between the Bengals and Rey?  That's abuse of power!!!!!!  

You better get to that gym because your going to need it when you tell Rey off.     

you're such a big tough guy there Sharm

1. Yeah ooook

2. I never said they didnt plan on keeping him for the duration for the contract, I said he was signed to a stop-gap contract that give them basicly 2 years to replace him.

3. Yeah let's go with that. (snickers)

4. I never said he was the worst MLB in the NFL, I said he isnt that good. AZ flew him in and he didnt sign, which indicates that they offered him less in terms of money or years or just as likely didnt want him enough to let him get out of the building. As far as PFF, you're going to have to try harder, I said that site sucked when they listed Evan Mathis as one of the best guards in the NFL while he was here.

1. So you agree with me...there's hope for you yet!

2. Most "stop-gap" contracts are one year deals for little guaranteed money, not multi-years were half of the amount of the contract is guaranteed.

3. I like Twix and Reese Cups but if you want a Snickers that's fine with me.

4. He's not a ProBowl\All-Pro LB, we agree on that. But he's good enough to start at MLB, which is like the QB of the defense, for a top 10 defense for the past two season..the only seasons he has played MLB, btw..He's also good enough that two guys who have coached HOF LB's and have forgotten more about the NFL game than anyone on this board knows think's he good enough to start for them....so let's see who judgement should I go with. On one hand we have Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer who are in the Pro Rey camp & Jamie B who is in the Rey is stop-gap and just filling a spot camp...tough decision...I'mma go with the pro coaches on this one..no offense.   

I've been suspecting/suggesting as much all day. It's also worth noting that the team is making these apparent moves after wrapping up their appraisal of the top prospects (we just heard today they had in Ogeltree).  One guess may be that they are also going to making a greater push for the present, and taking guys who need to grow is not something like'd to do given how close we are.  That's a fine approach in FA, but I hope we keep with BPA in the draft.

Well, it's the kind of try 5 things at once to solve a problem that worked reasonably well at CB...we might be able to get Harrison to pay us for a chance to get a crack at Big Ben.  He has to be annoying in person.

Just read some hack on NFL.com named Sesler, saying "each side has high interest" and "things will heat up over the weekend". Also speculated that it will be between Harrison and Dansby, but not both.

Don't know what to think. I like Dansby infinitely more than that prick Harrison...but I suppose I could live if we had that bastard. He had 6 sacks last year playing at half strength. Still is a player...got to give him that.

Oh are we going to talk about Harrison again? Awesome.

Still think he's a prick and would rather not see him in a Bengals uniform, but another thing to consider is that Rog the Banhammer will no longer have the weight of the Pittsburgh market keeping him from suspending Harrison for his next helmet-to-helmet cheapshot. 

Otherwise, it's out of my hands so I'm not gonna lose too much sleep over it one way or another.  It would probably piss off all the yinzers if he signed here, so I'll take that as a silver lining.

Kind of sounds like this is probably going to happen. I definitely have mixed feelings about it. I think he will be just fine at SLB, but this would likely mean Rey is almost definitely going to be the MLB.

And that's great news! The only place I would want Rey to play. Plus, I prefer Burfict at WILL.

But the coaches already pretty much confirmed that Rey wasnt moving anywhere, so it shouldn't be a surprise. Both Dansby and Harrison would be perfect fits at SAM - but Harrison is the better player.

Hope this happens. Very good against the run. Good dropping in coverage. And he can be a threat as a pass rusher. I just like the fact that he's much more physical at the point of attack than Lawson, who got pushed around by WRs.

Archived