With the 53rd pick the Bengals select DE Margus Hunt

You can get three guys on each side to 10-12 a year. So it's possible, but hard to see. You'd like to be able to get all three for about 27 mill. That difference pays for a safety or a solid linebacker(Burfict). I'll hit you guys with a hypothetical: would you be willing to sign Geno to a 4/36 with all of it guaranteed?

Absolutely!

You can get three guys on each side to 10-12 a year. So it's possible, but hard to see. You'd like to be able to get all three for about 27 mill. That difference pays for a safety or a solid linebacker(Burfict). I'll hit you guys with a hypothetical: would you be willing to sign Geno to a 4/36 with all of it guaranteed?

There is no way you sign Geno for only 9 mil per year, even if guaranteed. It's gonna take somewhere between 10-12 per considering Suh is the highest paid DT at 11 mil.

There is no way you sign Geno for only 9 mil per year, even if guaranteed. It's gonna take somewhere between 10-12 per considering Suh is the highest paid DT at 11 mil.

I understand what you're thinking, but a 4/36 would give him more guaranteed than a 6/72 which is what you would want to be a 12 mill a year contract, and he'd be in position to sign another big deal sincehe would only be 29 at the end. Just saying.

Yeah, in spite of the heat the Bengals tend to get or not making a splash in free agency (the success rate of which is extremely questionable anyway), they have under Marvin managed to resign or extend most of "their guys".And with the way the Bengals have been drafting in the last several years, I am totally okay with that approach. I'm surprised people keep mentioning Dunlap, MJ, etc when to me it's Geathers that is on the chopping block if Hunt becomes a beast.

The discussion isn't about who the team wants to keep, which would be all of them.  It is just that the cap won't let us sign all of those guys to top dollar contracts.  There's only so much money we can spend on defense, and on the DL part of that defense, and the team isn't going to pretend it can and have a cap disaster later.  

If we cut Geathers I like this pick a lot more.  At that point we can start Dunlap and Hunt would move from 3rd string to 2nd string and get some reps during the game.

We don't have to cut Geathers to do any of that.  When he's ready, he can move into the rotation over Geathers or any DE who is nicked up.

Geno is the best DT in the league and deserves to be paid like it, I just hope he doesnt get stupid and start asking for Haynesworth money, I dont think he will though.

Geno is under contract for 2013 for like 1.4M. The tag amount for DT this year was like 8 mil. That means we could likely have geno for three years at 20M or so (1.4 for this ear, 8.5 or so for 2014 under the tag and 10 or so in 2015 under the tag.)

Put on top of that two years at let's just say 12 mil for being the best dt in football.

Offer 5 years 40 mil with like 15 mil guaranteed. It gives him a huge raise in 2013 but still gives us a decent cap number.

I think geno could get a lot more on the open market but we have the ability to keep him around for at least 3 more years before we even have to think about paying him 11 mil or more. We hold the cards in this one. Give him a fair deal but it likely won't be more than 10 mil a year due to the above secnario we could do.

The fact that we got andre for only $6 million a year is a huge plus.

We will have the cap room next year I think to sign dunlap, johnson and Atkins it's just will the bengals do it.

People are forgetting Peko and geather will be coming off their deals or we can cut them, their slaaries will pay for one of the guys. Still and Thompson will be expected to contribute a ton more, that will open up room to allow us to sign all 3.

I think the bengals fucked up not trying to get Johnson signed at 7-8 million a year and pay him up front a decent amount this year.

that $12million salary this year hurts.

The fact that we got andre for only $6 million a year is a huge plus.

We will have the cap room next year I think to sign dunlap, johnson and Atkins it's just will the bengals do it.

People are forgetting Peko and geather will be coming off their deals or we can cut them, their slaaries will pay for one of the guys. Still and Thompson will be expected to contribute a ton more, that will open up room to allow us to sign all 3.

I think the bengals fucked up not trying to get Johnson signed at 7-8 million a year and pay him up front a decent amount this year.

that $12million salary this year hurts.

They already said that once the draft was over, they were going to work on a long term deal for MJ.  I don't expect him to play on the franchise tag this year.  He wants to be here, and the team wants him here.

They already said that once the draft was over, they were going to work on a long term deal for MJ.  I don't expect him to play on the franchise tag this year.  He wants to be here, and the team wants him here.

I hope you're right.  After all the other DE signings in the offseason, the tag price looks like pretty bad value.  Avril got something like 2yrs/15million and he was considered by many as the top free agent available. 

I have seen speculation their values are similar (Avril & MJ), so i would like to see a 4year/32 million dollar deal.  I think his camp would want something like 4yr/40-45 million so maybe it lands somewhere in the middle?

Can he sign a new deal that would negate the Franchise tag this year?  I thought once he signed it we HAD to pay it, and it couldn't be erased in favor of a new (more cap friendly) deal.

Can he sign a new deal that would negate the Franchise tag this year?  I thought once he signed it we HAD to pay it, and it couldn't be erased in favor of a new (more cap friendly) deal.

If I'm correct, they can negotiate a long term deal until the Middle of July, like the 15th or 18th.  After that date, they cannot negotiate until after the season.

Geno is under contract for 2013 for like 1.4M. The tag amount for DT this year was like 8 mil. That means we could likely have geno for three years at 20M or so (1.4 for this ear, 8.5 or so for 2014 under the tag and 10 or so in 2015 under the tag.)

Put on top of that two years at let's just say 12 mil for being the best dt in football.

Offer 5 years 40 mil with like 15 mil guaranteed. It gives him a huge raise in 2013 but still gives us a decent cap number.

I think geno could get a lot more on the open market but we have the ability to keep him around for at least 3 more years before we even have to think about paying him 11 mil or more. We hold the cards in this one. Give him a fair deal but it likely won't be more than 10 mil a year due to the above secnario we could do.

While we do have good leverage against Geno, we took away virtually all our leverage with MJ by giving him that huge tag. Unless we blow him away with an offer, his only risks are a career ending injury (unlikely) or a serious downturn in play (I'm sure very unlikely in his own mind). The tag pretty much guarantees that we have to pay him at least 12M this year and probably something close to 20M over the first 2 years. I fear we may have backed ourselves into a corner with him that we can't get out of.  

Coach smoke...

And Marvin is saying how Andre has "matured".

Still, I like the pick.

Also read he is great at blocking kicks..

Can you see the crowd go wild when he stuffs a field goal

at home vs. Cleveland and their new kicker?

Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

How bout a 6'7" 280 lbs. man being the second person down the field on coverage !  

I just don't see how they can sign all three of Geno, Dunlap and MJ....everybody can't get top dollar, it's impossible. 

Market plays a role.   The cap isn't supposed to grow signficantly the next few offseasons.    Andre Smith found out.  James Harrison found out. 

Prior to FA alot of people wanted the tag for Andre for fear he'd jet.   

The Bengal advantage is cap room.    There simply will be teams that will be forced to "manage" it and thus that floods the market with alternatives and limits the actual cash in it.

It only takes one team to steal your player but I think there is definately possibility to keep all 3.  It will be more of a question of if that's the smart thing to do.

Based on what I know now.  I'm taking MJ and Atkins.   Dunlap would be the odd man out if it came to that. 

They can negotiate a (presumably longer term) deal with him that would reduce his cap this year from the $11.75M it is currently. That's up until July 15th. After that he plays for the tagged amount.

He has to get the money this year  It can be turned into salary + prorated bonus over the life of the contract.  So the cap number could actually go down this year if we want after he resigns.  I think that's how it works.

The Bengals have let several "franchise" players leave in recent years, notably Justin Smith, Stacy Andrews, and Shane Graham.  I see it as a numbers game.  It's going to be tough to give large dollar extensions to both MJ and Dunlap when they also have to worry about Geno and then AJ and Andy the next season.  Just how I'm reading the team leaves.  I would agree that the more likely to leave would be Dunlap.  He is probably more talented but it hasn't shown up fully on the field, while MJ has seemingly gotten better every year.

I completely agree with this, particularly from a durability standpoint. Carlos is hurt every season.

Archived